The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

I took it..9 minutes ago.

I have to say it does look very nice. I think it is hard to tell the difference in the textures unless you are inspecting them very closely in the game world. I know from my zoom distance the game looks wonderful, and even from the distance in the screenshot, the game textures still look very nice.

I will note, however, that the preview window is always noticeably muddy, even muddier than the in game graphics it seems to me. But in game, your screen shot seems very good to me, and who plays zoomed in closer than that? (there may be people, but I suspect they are not the majority).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spent the past two weeks RMAing a keyboard, because the product I received wasn't as advertised. It took a bit of back and forth communication to explain my problems, but in the end I managed to get it exchanged for a different product and all ended well.

Now, the keyboard was a physical product. The moment I realized there was something wrong with it, I knew there was no point sticking with it, because it would never change or get better, no matter how long I waited.

The great thing about an MMO is that it's not a fixed product. MMO's are constantly changing and evolving, resolving bugs and adding new features along the way. The potential for substantial change over time is part of what makes MMO's so popular (I think).

My point is that the keyboard was a lost cause, but the game isn't. I know substantial and glaring issues like this really should have been ironed out before launch, but it's too late for that now and it's no use arguing about what should have been or what was or wasn't done.

It's much more useful to focus on what can be done about the problem in the future and make sure that they know just how much we care about this to ensure that it does get done.

Edited by Amarinth

Games are about having fun.

If you HONESTLY think the resolution is not worth your time, then leave.

Farmville is a ****** looking game, but it has more players than any game ever.

If your so called resolution problems make it unenjoyable for you, then LEAVE. Quit whining. You're 1 person out of millions. No one cares about you attention wh**ing.

My resolution looks way better than most of the screenshots posted here & runs fine, except in warzones, I have to turn it down a notch.

Go back to Warcraft if it seriously pisses you off that much.

Your not God,

though I will say thanks for your blindness you will be helping out blizzard in he future.

If your so called resolution problems make it unenjoyable for you, then LEAVE. Quit whining. You're 1 person out of millions. No one cares about you attention wh**ing.

My resolution looks way better than most of the screenshots posted here & runs fine, except in warzones, I have to turn it down a notch.

http://i.imgur.com/4iwaV.png

See one to the left? I've killed some bosses around, and it was hard. And I'd like if my armor will be as good as right one, not like a low ressed and without some details on left. Hell do I care about other players as long, as I can see that artifact armor is actually looking like an artifact, not some piece of junk that homeless mandalorian threw away.

Let me be perfectly clear. The armor textures are unacceptable PERIOD. They would be poor in a f2p and they are significantly lower than what I have seen in any other MMO, be that WOW, AoC, Aion ect... to claim it is a flaw in the lack of control on the number of viewable characters while a true point, is one EVERY other AAA mmo company has solved.

I just switched from a 6 month sub to a 1 month. I'm so mad right now at this "It's working as intended" that I almost canceled immediately. I think I'll give myself a day or two to calm down, but I expected way more from any AAA subscription game and in particular bioware.

Before I had hope that high rez textures would be toggled back on in a week or two, a few months at the outside. After this response I have no hope they'll ever be in game and I'll be left with blurry yuck armor should I choose to continue, which I probably won't.

Doing the same. I originally set up a 6 month sub, but on Friday I am going to change it and go month to month. It is not only due to this texture mess, but the fact that the game has alot of issues from graphic settings, textures, bugs, UI issues and more. I still beleive in the game and I hope that they work hard at fixing these issues.

With that said though, I don't feel giving them 6 months of my money for something that I determine as "not finished" is what I should do. Giving them 6 months of sub is telling them that everything is fine and I will give you money for what I get in return. I will pay for 1 month and this is mainly cause I bought the game for 2 other friends and bought them the 60day game card, so at least I know they will play for that long, but not sure beyond that.

I'm sorry, but graphics of this quality are simply unnacceptable for a game released in 2011.

SWTOR -2011 :

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GGEALQq9mlM/Tt-pkr7RjbI/AAAAAAAAGRM/fb0xrJWPMwc/s1600/swtor+Sith+Inquisitor+pvp+armor.jpg

Tribes 2: 2001:

http://www2.fileplanet.com/images/140000/140247ss_sm2.jpg

Absolutely unacceptable.

To all the idiots saying "graphics don't matter"; I think people can agree that being able to see detail in the world and especially your character would help with immersion and feeling a connection to the world.

To the real people; we know graphics DO matter to a point, and the game will never sell with graphics this bad.

I can't help you friend, I really can't. I'm sorry, we will have to agree to disagree. Good luck, and safe travels =P (The EQ player in me).

Ya you to, and don't send anymore PMs to me. You can however continue to report my posts, and I'll continue to call out trolls like yourself everytime. I can't help you either if you don't understand the issue don't come into a forum and try to act like you do, you clearly DO NOT.

I used to assume that with Star Wars, the internet, and video games all coming together into one big melting pot that the overwhelming majority of consumers of this game would be male. But what do you know? Here's a thread with literally hundreds of little girls posting in it, so I guess that goes to show you how valuable assumptions are!

I'm truly disillusioned by BioWare's response to this.

I always consider gameplay to be more important than graphics, but there is a limit. I cannot fathom that the aesthetic quality of the game is intended to be as poor as is revealed below.

http://i.imgur.com/KP9cY.jpg

It's mind boggling.

Between this terrible statement from BioWare and the one that was given to address player concerns about the strength of the Jedi Knight class, I'm just about completely beaten down from being "BioWare fanboy" to cancelling before my 30 days. :(

I think most people are upset over the fact that they were blatantly lied to regarding high textures slowing down the game because there were to many people in some places. I have played many MMOs that have included high res textures without serious issues (mind you AOC is what i am talking about, a 2008 game that still has superior graphics and runs smoother with a small developer in comparison to bioware). So its not because there are too many people in one area, its becuase the game is poorly optimized.

Bioware, just be straight with us, tell us that the game needs further optimization, and when that is achieved high res textures will be re-added. And for now add a hot fix that will enable us to use high res for our character only.

Reposting so it doesn't get lost in the sea:

Perhaps the OP can add this suggestion to the first page so it's more accessible to BW to see?

To Bioware: Please add one of the following two functions:

1) An option to use High-res textures for just your character and your party members/compaions

2) An option to use High-res textures for the first 20-ish character models rendered.

I think that would placate a lot of people and would be a great [temporary] fix. Not to mention it wouldn't take long to code and implement either.

Here is that same character, exact same spot, but from the other direction. I believe this screenshot is a bit more impressive than the far, sweeping screenshot I posted earlier.

http://imgur.com/UL8qX

I have to say, those textures look fine to me. I'm no expert, but I don't see the issue in that screenshot anyway. I just don't think the "atlas" texturing, or whatever it is called is noticeable from back far (I mean when playing, because I would never zoom as close as in your screenshot to play the game), but like I said, I don't have as keen of an eye for this stuff as some people.

How did you get that? Looks nice and some details much sharper than medium res textures right now.

That is medium textures. Anti-Aliasing is set to x2 (box) and Anisotropic Filtering is set to x2 as well. My overall graphics settings in Catalyst are all set to max quality over performance. I have my HD Radeon 5770 overclocked as well.

What do you think of it?

http://imgur.com/ZIxjS

http://i.imgur.com/TDQHv.jpg

Not sure where exactly you took yours, I tried to replicate it as best I could. I've yet to level a Trooper, so I'm not familiar with Ord Mantell. Yours seems to blur much more than mine in the distance.

To everyone asking, the textures in these screenshots are medium textures. It would be much easier to tell the difference with a side-by-side shot of this, but you can tell just by looking at the pants on my character and the muddy textures on the NPC textures on both of our screenshots.

Here is that same character, exact same spot, but from the other direction. I believe this screenshot is a bit more impressive than the far, sweeping screenshot I posted earlier.

http://imgur.com/UL8qX

I can see the low quality of the texture, but I'll say its a lot less apparent with mostly white armor. It's the contrast between colors that really shows the compression.

I have to say, those textures look fine to me. I'm no expert, but I don't see the issue in that screenshot anyway. I just don't think the "atlas" texturing, or whatever it is called is noticeable from back far (I mean when playing, because I would never zoom as close as in your screenshot to play the game), but like I said, I don't have as keen of an eye for this stuff as some people.

They do seem fine because of forced sharpening around (i guess). Orange area on chest still blurry and don't have any edge at all.

You have to zoom in that far to get any kind of impressive detail (impressive being subjective).

Otherwise it's more like a wash of things than armor with edges and wrinkles and demension. I am no graphics expert so I am sorry if this does not even make perfect sense.

Try playing as a Twi'lek.

http://imgur.com/ZIxjS

opinions please.

You see how in the picture you posted theres no foliage in the distance?

And it will literally grow as you walk, perpetually. Even with grass quality,ground clutter, and clip distance on max.

Why no one complains about this is beyond me. It's atrocious. Pathetic.

The low res textures are awful. Then theres Feeling like I'm walking around a giant Chia pet growing in fast forward, while questing on a lush planet.

The game engine in general, just all around, is not indicative of a 2012 AAA title

Edited by Your_dominus

That screenshot is from a cinematic in-game. As stated, cinematic scenes use high resolution textures because we have control over how many characters are rendered on-screen at once. This is how the game was always intended to look in cinematics. We did not 'remove' high resolution textures - they were always in the game for use in cinematics.

With that said, thank you for all of your responses. We understand everyone's desires around this issue, and although it's not going to be an overnight fix, as mentioned we're working on addressing this. Many of the suggestions you have made are similar to potential changes the development team is investigating.

I rounded up the development team once more and had another discussion, and wanted to update you with a better timeline and some more precise details on what we're doing right now.

The first major changes will be in our next major Game Update, which will have the version number of 1.2. Those changes will bring greater visual fidelity to your character and those around you, but will still allow for good performance in situations where a lot of characters are on-screen at once. In other words, for those screenshots of your character in their best gear, you should see a marked improvement.

Other potential changes are being discussed right now – as I said, many of which are similar to changes suggested by many of you. As usual, you’ll see these sorts of changes on our Public Test Server before they make it into the live game. Right now we cannot commit to a live date for the 1.2 Game Update, but it will be within Q1 2012.

While bioware may actually do this... I don't think i can till April 29th... Which is when bioware will likely release the patch. If this had be truthfully told in the first place.... I wouldn't have minded. The fact that we had a patch that "fixed" the problem and a statement that had a PR spin.... I don't think I can trust bioware anymore.

I have a feeling that if I did continue to sub.... April ... A patch would be released that would half fix the problem and worsen other features.... Because of the bad hero engine or how bad your developers seem to be over there. The truth is bioware...i don't think I can trust you anymore

You see how in the picture you posted theres no foliage in the distance?

And it will literally grow as you walk, perpetually. Even with grass quality,ground clutter, and clip distance on max.

Why no one complains about this is beyond me. It's atrocious. Pathetic.

The low res textures are awful. Then theres Feeling like I'm walking around a giant Chia pet growing in fast forward, while questing on a lush planet.

The game engine in general, just all around, is not indicative of a 2012 AAA title

TOR is released in 2011.