The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware, you're making it more and more difficult for me to defend you

Makade

I'm a fan of Star Wars, SWTOR, and Bioware. But man is Bioware making it difficult for me to defend them. Some of their decisions are mind-bogglingly (is that even a word?) bad. Anybody who has even played one MMO in depth could tell you the following:

1) You just have to have searchable forums and individual server forums. No exceptions.

2) You just have to have more UI customization. No exceptions.

3) You just have to have more graphics options than low and medium. No exceptions.

4) You just have to have a basic combat log. No exceptions.

5) You just have to have a working auction house. No exceptions.

6) You just have to have plans to encourage/maintain faction population balance. No exceptions. (I realize this one is very difficult to achieve, but I have to admit it looks like Bioware didn't even try on this one).

7) Guild bank. No exceptions.

This is a brief list for now, so feel free to add to it. I think most of us can accept some bugs, lightish raid content, and even non-working Ilum in the short term, but some of the basic short-comings are indefensible....even for a fanboi. You see, the haters are going to hate no matter what you do, but to lose the self-professed fanbois as well?

That community update on the graphics issues from Stephen Reid was just.....wow. That is all I will say about that one. Wow.

It's difficult to comprehend how drastically corners were cut for the biggest budget MMO of all time. Stunning. Bioware needs to go big or go hom here. It's time for someone at Bioware to walk the community through these issues point by point, complete with future plans to address them and rough timelines.

Edit: Adding items to the list as they are mentioned below.

Edited by Makade

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can help you with these issues and eliminate any faith with Bioware going forward.

There isn't a search option because to many people would search for negative things and see the 100's of threads detailing how bad the game is. The rest of the issues are all based on money and not wanting to spend it or releasing the game early.

I'm a fan of Star Wars, SWTOR, and Bioware. But man is Bioware making it difficult for me to defend them. Some of their decisions are mind-bogglingly (is that even a word?) bad. Anybody who has even played one MMO in depth could tell you the following:

1) You just have to have searchable forums and individual server forums. No exceptions.

3) You just have to have more graphics options than low and medium. No exceptions.

6) You just have to have plans to encourage/maintain faction population balance. No exceptions. (I realize this one is very difficult to achieve, but I have to admit it looks like Bioware didn't even try on this one).

This is a brief list for now, so feel free to add to it. I think most of us can accept some bugs, lightish raid content, and even non-working Ilum in the short term, but some of the basic short-comings are indefensible....even for a fanboi. You see, the haters are going to hate no matter what you do, but to lose the self-professed fanbois as well?

That community update on the graphics issues from Stephen Reid was just.....wow. That is all I will say about that one. Wow.

It's difficult to comprehend how drastically corners were cut for the biggest budget MMO of all time. Stunning. Bioware needs to go big or go hom here. It's time for someone at Bioware to walk the community through these issues point by point, complete with future plans to address them and rough timelines.

Go out, get drunk ASAP. Sounds like you need it

Why does BioWare need you to defend them? Do you work for their legal department?

Defend them as in: I really like the game and want it to prosper. I really like Bioware and as such have given them my faith (and money).....for now.

1. Agreed.

2. Agreed, But only ingame customization - I mean, I'd be fine with mods for it, but if they open the door to UI customization it would probably have to be open wide enough to allow for mods which simplify gameplay, and thats not good.

3. Agreed. Of course, the graphics options hardly matter with these FPS issues (which are not hardware related, btw)

4. I can almost agree with this, as long as they prevent ANY chance that someone can parse the log and post that information ingame. Things like Recount enabled elitist and nasty behaviour in previous games, and made it too easy for everyone to point to DPS as they be-all, end-all of every problem or success in raiding, when DPS isn't even remotely the most important aspect.

5. Agreed. But it's not an auction house, it's the GTN.

6. Gonna be a tough one. A LOT of people are going to pick Empire because they "look cool" and can be evil, and many children or immature folks are going to pick them without even considering Republic for all the wrong reasons. Bioware can't force people to choose factions in a balanced way or for the right reason.

Bump for combat basics and Ui costumizations but BUT i undestand that is very difficult to do in a normal MMO and in SWTOR it will take LONG LONG TIME cuz have conversations and everything else so im not worried about it just do it in the time..

and btw Forum search ? have a problem ask ... if someone have already asked fck it someone will answer you as well.

Ok I'll give you my thoughts on your line items as well:

1 - Those would be nice features, however I think people actually pay for the game, so I would put those as a lower priority than bug fixes, performance, and fixing the auction house.

2 - Debatable really, it's a quality of life issue that some argue is good and bad. Allowing full on modification of the UI can sometimes lead to designs around those mods, which sort of defeats the real intent of the content.

3 - Again, that's a longer term issue, not really a short term issue. If performance takes a hit to get graphical issues in line on the front end, I don't think it's a problem until 3 months from now.

4 - That's pretty much a raider complaint and it seems to come most often from DPS. I think the reason is that many of them enjoy seeing their own numbers and playing the blame game, which is really only the job of a leader. I am more than in favor of meters that only show up to the leader. Would that solve the issue?

5 - Totally agree, it's the biggest problem in the game right now from my POV.

6 - I think this is impossible. DAOC couldn't do it, WoW couldn't do it, and SWTOR has no chance.

Edited by Paelos

1. Forum search is down temporarily. Probably better then no forums or buggy forums. The server forums i tend to agree with you.

2. yes, but the current UI is not unusable so just relax and tough it out.

3. They explained this recently look at the developer tracker.

4. I heard they had it in beta but took it out. Maybe it was having problems and their working on it.

5. I can use the Auction house just fine. It is not the easiest interface but I have had no problems buying and selling items.

6. It too early to start trying to balance server populations. Your going to have drop-off after the first 30-days so you can't do anything until after that at the earliest.

None of these issues should be causing you to run around in circles and make fire engine noises.

You have to add the term no exception at least 5 times to every thread, no exception.

No exception

No exception

No exception

No exception

I don't think the stuff in the Op is that much of a bother. I would like to have some of the features but its not a big deal.

However, I think in this matter, there is no exception.

No exception

No exception

No exception

No exception

Sorry op, sorry that you are not having fun or leaving. Sorry that its not everything you wanted, sorry that hopes and dreams got crushed.

Sorry.

1) I agree that a search function is a basic feature of a forum.

2) They have said that they were going to address that in future updates already.

3) This is already starting to be addressed in 1.1

4) Disagree. I am glad we don't have combat logs.

5) Auction House does work, but it's definitely up for improvement. Did you notice that in Nar Shaddaa you can't see items over level 30?

6) Faction balance is a tricky one. It's still early and a lot of people haven't leveled up to 50 and are still discovering the game. It seems there are at least a few very busy pvp servers that seem to be doing just fine on that, but I am on a pve server so faction balance isn't a big issue for me.

So, from my point of view, it's not as bad as you represent it here, but I agree that a number of these things will need the improvement they have promised.

Why does BioWare need you to defend them? Do you work for their legal department?

If they want to have a successful game, they better have players who advocate it/defend it to other potential players. Every game pushes for itself; the hits have players who push for it too.