Companions Ruin the Game

Amatic

I consider the companion system to probably be one of the best features released in any MMO in the last 10 years.

Companions are part of your class balance. It is a fantastic system that lays the foundation for a lot of future expansion.

Everyone I play with loves the companion system as well.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont get why people say swotr is so linar cause last i check i level 5 alt in wow and it was always always always the same partern all the way to 85.If anything it was even worse then TOR.

I think railed is a better word than linear. The game is railed that is for sure. You only go where they want you to go. Every MMO is going to be linear in respect to leveling. Not sure there is anyway around that other than creating multiple zones for level ranges and even then it is going to become linear at some point.

For another they are poorly done. I am a heal spec Agent so I feel your pain when it comes to companions. I have Kaliyo do all the tanking and I heal her and do dmg as I can.

It's horrible. Not wow this is bad, I mean HORRIBLE!

I do the same thing, but I don't see the problem. You heal spec and then are surprised when the best way to play is as a healer?

I'm generally in agreement with most people here, I find companions to be incredibly useful, the idea is that they let you play solo, but a good human player should always be better than the companion.

The only real change I would like to see is some way to limit when a companion uses their abilities, Khem Val has an AoE footstomp that plays hell with crowd control abilities - I'd love to be able to tell him to not use that so that he's not constantly taking nearby enemies out of stun.

I consider the companion system to probably be one of the best features released in any MMO in the last 10 years.

Companions are part of your class balance. It is a fantastic system that lays the foundation for a lot of future expansion.

Not to mention lays the groundwork for a lot of future story, as well - it can shift away from your initial crew to telling the story of new companions.

If they were part of your class balance, they would be playing Huttball with you.

Honestly? I like the companion thing. I just wish trying to choose gear for them wasn't such a chore with the current UI.

Open inventory, open paperdoll, move to companion tab... and manually compare the stats. ugh.

Am I missing something there?

This is absolutely the most tedious task ever.

Honestly? I like the companion thing. I just wish trying to choose gear for them wasn't such a chore with the current UI.

Open inventory, open paperdoll, move to companion tab... and manually compare the stats. ugh.

Am I missing something there?

Turn on companion comparison tooltip in UI options

Speaking from a PvE solo perspective, they are horrible.

I'm a 50 Gunslinger in all modded/purple/blue gear. I'm sitting at 100.58% accuracy, 39.14% crit, 60.02% critical bonus, and 6.4% alacrity. I'm not sure how good that is, but I can drop mobs in seconds.

The problem lies in my companion. Without him, I'm dead. Plain and simple. As hard as my guy hits, he's just a wet paper bag. Even regular mobs on Ilum will drop me in seconds if they focus on me. I have spent at least 300k on my companion's gear (Bowdaar). I have him at 15.5k health, 35.14% chance to shield, 14.32% defensive chance, 25% shield absorb, and 4122 armor and he is at 25% health or so on EVERY PULL!

This doesn't sound like a "companion" problem. This sounds like a player problem. Your either gearing / spec'ing wrong for solo player, or your choosing the wrong companions for your play style.

As a healer, I don't choose a tank as my companion, I choose a DPS with medium armor (Revel) and I have no problem clearing just about anything ilum throws at me. I don't have a sniper at 50 so I am not sure which companion is best ... and which stance that companion should be in. BTW, companions constantly fall out of the stance you put them in and if your running with the short bar your not going to notice this.

So .. instead of making uneducated claims that somehow companions are the reason your failing ... try asking the question: What am I doing wrong?

You might actually find out what your doing wrong. In this case, running a non-healer combo means you should be trying to burst down your targets so your companion, at the least, should be a DPS one. I would imagine, it would be better if you went tank gear and brought a healing companion .. fights make take a bit longer, but you might find the flow better.

TLDR: Don't bring a tank companion to Solo PvE content if your not a healer.

"How much worse would it be as a heal spec if you didn't have a companion?"

What? If companions did not exist we would all be grouping together and we would actually be making friends and we would have a community. I chose to go heal spec on my Operative, and since I MUST use a companion, obviously I have adopted my current playstyle.

How much worse without companions it just..irrelevant. What purpose does asking this question serve?

I was on Alderaan this morning, doing a few quick bonus quests. There were 17 people on planet, all likely not on the same quests I'm on.

Are you following?

I'm generally in agreement with most people here, I find companions to be incredibly useful, the idea is that they let you play solo, but a good human player should always be better than the companion.

The only real change I would like to see is some way to limit when a companion uses their abilities, Khem Val has an AoE footstomp that plays hell with crowd control abilities - I'd love to be able to tell him to not use that so that he's not constantly taking nearby enemies out of stun.

Open the companion ability bar (by default the ~ key) and turn off the AoE ability.

You can control it, by opening your companions quickslot and right clicking the icon, it should have a yellow toggle box in the top right to confirm. The only problem with that is every time you change zones it magically turns itself back on, which as you can imagine is very annoying.

I want to go in and smack stuff around without having to worry about if my pet is still alive or not.

Then dismiss your companion and play with out it... Not sure what's so hard about that. Yes the game was balanced around having a companion, and that was very well documented long before launch...

But you can do it.

Sounds like a lot of pissed off people on this board. I made this post and it goes to second page. Never a good sign.

Most of the posts are along the lines of "companions are ok...here are some helpful suggestions for using them properly: blah blah blah"

My personal opinion is "LRN 2 PLAY!"

But given the reading comprehension skills on display, I'm not holding out a lot of hope that will happen.

I will not sit here and pass judgment on anyone for their opinions. Merely trying to offer some advice.

I'm quite sure you can tell your companion to attack things on command before you begin the combat sequence. With Kira, for example, you can command her to Force Leap into crowds before you do. What that does for the aggro I couldn't really say.

Is there any easy way to get them to use different attacks? I think Kira has a whole arsenal of stuff she doesn't use but that I'd like her to.

You can manually execute companion abilities just like your own skills if you prefer. Make sure the abilities are toggled on if you want them executed automatically.

Edited by sangreal

Is there any easy way to get them to use different attacks? I think Kira has a whole arsenal of stuff she doesn't use but that I'd like her to.

I've noticed she will do most of her abilities on her own, the only issue is each one of her abilities engenders ALL the others to go on global CD, which is the cause of a lot of angst...or that feeling of "wth? why doesn't she do anything?!".

As stated before, expand the companion menu (the ~ key or the little plus next to mini-quickbar under their portrait) and right click the box next to the ability. If it fills in, they will use it without prompting. If it is empty they won't use the skill. Also make sure you check their stances and decide on the one you want them to use.

I've noticed she will do most of her abilities on her own, the only issue is each one of her abilities engenders ALL the others to go on global CD, which is the cause of a lot of angst...or that feeling of "wth? why doesn't she do anything?!".

Check the tooltips. Some of their abilities share a CD. Choose the one you want them to use and turn it on while turning the others off.