I fail to understand......

lolwow

How a game made in 2004 that runs on a dual core processor, 2gb of ram, and an ati 3850, looks better with all max settings than a game just released late 2011. Now don't get me wrong I love SWTOR, but how this game can require a quad core processor, 4gb of ram, and a 4850 is beyond me. If Blizzard can make a game run and look good on such low hardware, then with TOR"S requirements we should be getting better results and performance then we currently have.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WoWs cartoon graphics give the illusion of them looking better than they really are.

Another thing, I'm pretty sure TOR isn't optimized very well... they have a pretty bad engine.

Here's a really good post on the 18th page:

TIME TO SETTLE THIS.

These screenshots were taken moments ago, both on the same machine, both games on Ultra.

Swtor scenery shot:

http://i.imgur.com/VaQwg.jpg

Swtor up close character shot:

http://i.imgur.com/hPd2m.jpg

WoW scenery shot:

http://i.imgur.com/p5JnV.jpg

WoW up close character shot:

http://i.imgur.com/JRUOb.jpg

What do I think? I think both games look good. Both are cartoony, but ultimately I prefer the style and bright colors of WoW, I find the style more charming and interesting. Everyone will have their own opinion, but I am sure Swtor will improve once a lot of the texture problems get taken care of.

Edit: I tabbed back in WoW after making this post, and something magical was happening. One of the many things that I beleive gives WoW more immersion than Swtor. WEATHER!!! Turned rainy and foggy all of a sudden. It's little things like this Swtor is missing.

http://i.imgur.com/xDinT.jpg

Edited by Papazooki

I have a dual-core processor, 2 gigs of RAM and a stock GPU. It runs fine for me and looks great.

Minimum System Requirements

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better

Operating System:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later

RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM

Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM

Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better

nVidia 7800 or better

Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

DVD-ROM drive – 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only) Internet connection required to play.

Edited by Chevex

How a game made in 2004 that runs on a dual core processor, 2gb of ram, and an ati 3850, looks better with all max settings than a game just released late 2011. Now don't get me wrong I love SWTOR, but how this game can require a quad core processor, 4gb of ram, and a 4850 is beyond me. If Blizzard can make a game run and look good on such low hardware, then with TOR"S requirements we should be getting better results and performance then we currently have.

You're saying that this:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r4/Alkii/loldwarf-Copy.png

looks better than this:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r4/Alkii/SWTORpic-Copy.jpg

??????????????????

Please leave.

not even sure how you can compare the two games. Wow is like Tron from teh 80's, all boxy and low poly count. Swtor looks way better, and other then wanting the textures during conversations while playing, I like the graphics engine as it is now.

If you think WoW looks better, then go back to it. Because swtor looks far superior, imo.

Also, you're aware they've made various upgrades and replacements to hardware, and the game itself, throughout the years with each expansion, right?

Herp derp. Go back to WoW.

BW has a very poor infastruture set up. Anyone who has gamed for years and see that they made a lot of stardard mistakes in setting up their enviroment. The issues with this game are decades old and have been a non-issue for sometime.

Also, the OP is right given that this game it completely instanced in everyway, more so than even DDO, it should run on a smart phone.

No these graphics are no better than WOW, they are 2004 graphics in the MMO gen.

I think the only fair way of truely looking at the graphics from game to game is to compare SW:TOR with a more modern game, like Aion or Rift. Clearly (regarding rift) it has a much better graphics set. The downside of Rift is their horrible security. The main reason (actually the only reason) that I gave it up. I still don't have the heart to uninstall it.

of course you do not. you wouldnt understand that the graphics card drivers have not been optimized for this game yet. nor how a 1 or 0 in the wrong spot would cause problems.

or how there are already 100 threads just like this one which does not make you a unique and special snowflake.

or that by having the ability to customize our pc's to have different brands of proccessors ram motherboards graphics, is absolute murder on tech support.

Edited by Mrshush

because they have been tweaking WoWs engine for the past 8 years.

Also in no way does wow look better. WoW's graphics looked bad back when it came out and even then people had problems running it just like they do with SWTOR now.

LMFAO... That was so rerendered it isnt even funny.. That is not how a wow character looks...

Looks accurate to me. WoW has some of the worst character models I've seen in any game. After all these years you would have thought they'd have gotten a proper update, but no...they still look terrible.

LMFAO... That was so rerendered it isnt even funny.. That is not how a wow character looks...

That doesn't look re-rendered to me. I played WoW for years and it looks old. Still fun, but old. And now I am finally playing another MMO that I consider to be more fun than WoW. Never thought that possible.

Another thing, I'm pretty sure TOR isn't optimized very well... they have a pretty bad engine.

Works fine on my machine. I'd say some have pretty bad machines or don't know how to maintain what they have. WoW uses a lot less resources so it will run on a system that is crapola.

Considering you felt compelled to make a thread about YOUR completely subjective opionion, I'll respond in kind: I think SWTOR's graphics are beautiful and much better than WoW's. Is this the reply you were looking for?

In other news, I prefer thin crust pizza to deepdish.

Edited by Makade

I think the only fair way of truely looking at the graphics from game to game is to compare SW:TOR with a more modern game, like Aion or Rift. Clearly (regarding rift) it has a much better graphics set. The downside of Rift is their horrible security. The main reason (actually the only reason) that I gave it up. I still don't have the heart to uninstall it.

Rift and many other games make a mistake going for the realistic style of graphics. They'll look terribly dated that much faster than stylized graphics. For example, pick up some FPS games from 2007-2008 and their graphics now look hugely dated.