Addon request: Identify players wasting my time by not hitting spacebar

Gashers

This is a plea to addon authors. When this game enables support for addons, someone please make one that identifies players who fail by not skipping group conversations with spacebar. This way I can quickly boot them from my group and try to find more efficient players to group with. When I spam my LFM, I already add "no cutscenes" but people still refuse to hit the spacebar sometimes.

Edit: I think, for now, this issue has been resolved for me thanks to a helpful post by Zannis. I will be now be able to easily determine which player is being uncooperative and remove them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zannis

If people actually looked at the rolls being made on character portraits during a grouped cutscene, they would realize there is already a means to figure out who's watching them in game already.

There will be dots while someone is watching the movie, and a dash when they're done and waiting.

Thank you for this helpful info. I had no idea you could determine this from the group portraits. My groups should run a lot smoother now that I can replace players who don't follow my politely stated rules.

First of all, let's just praise that there will be one day, addons ....

Second, i understand the OP but you should specify in your group advertise that you want players that has already beaten the FP/OP and that you don't want group members for slowing your party by watching stories.

Or one day, it is you that will get booted from groups if your not clear at the group formation.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also just because you started the group does not mean you own it, if people decide to do story mode after starting it is not your right to decide how the group runs.

No, being Group Leader does pretty much mean you own the group. And if you outline certain conditions to be met upon joining, and these conditions are ignored, you are well within your right to kick the offender. That's how grouping works.

You know, if rushing is a playstyle, then, at least, support it mechanically. I'm not being sarcastic. (You may choose to believe this, or not.)

Add a "Kessel Run" flag to the group. As soon as the group enters the instance with that flag set (it can't be set after entering), the timer begins. The timer stops when you leave the instance will all goals, and optional goals, complete.

On the main fleets, there will be a terminal that will show the top 10 groups (and the character names) per instance, with their time to complete down to tenths of a second.

For as long you're in the top 10, you get the title "Kessel Runner Of ((Instance Name))". Since only 40 people (maximum -- it could be a lot less, the same group of four could hold all top 10 slots, for example) on the server could have that title at any point, it would be a truly unique achievement, one you'd have to constantly work to hold... imagine logging in and find you've been kicked out of the top. You'd want to get back in, right?

I am really, perfectly, without sarcasm, snideness, or rancor (either the adjective or the thing in Jabba's palace), proposing this. I think it would be relatively simply to implement (no new graphics or animation or mechanics or balancing), and would aid player retention because the "race to top race to top race to top now what?" crowd would actually have goals to beat and constant competition to prove themselves the best, without needing new gear, ranks, or zones ...and each new instance added provides a new set of challenges for them to compete with each other for.

I think this is interesting. Just make it so that getting the title is only for level appropriate groups. I wouldn't want to see level 50s getting the non-heroic Esseles achievement. Yes, it would mean that players wouldn't be able to get it back if kicked out after they've leveled but I think it would be more equitable overall.

Whether to remove the title from characters once they level beyond the limits is more complex. I can see arguments for either side.

I think this is interesting. Just make it so that getting the title is only for level appropriate groups. I wouldn't want to see level 50s getting the non-heroic Esseles achievement. Yes, it would mean that players wouldn't be able to get it back if kicked out after they've leveled but I think it would be more equitable overall.

Whether to remove the title from characters once they level beyond the limits is more complex. I can see arguments for either side.

Well let's say just for HMs then. That way you pretty much have to be lvl 50 to even have a shot at it, and then we get back into the competition aspect of it, allowing the title to be claimed AND taken away.

Hard to know what choice to pick, and thus what consequences (yes actual real game consequences from a choice, who'd have thought) you will find in your run if you haven't listened to a word being said. Example: Black Talon.

This isn't always the same as just picking up a quest in WoW & killing ten giant rats.

Try talking to the people you're playing with instead of looking for tools to be more anti-social.

Its comments and players with this mentality that frustrate the OP, and myself.

Your example, is the worst possible example. There is one choice in BT that affects the mission, and if this is your third or forth time in BT, you know exactly where it is and what it changes. And besides that, the roll decides the outcome of the FP, NOT YOUR INDIVIDUAL CHOICE. You still get light or dark for your own pick, but whatever choices you think you have, you really have no control over how it plays out anyway.

And again, since people cant seem to read: The OP is being very transparent to the group joiners that this is not a run for first-timers. If you LIE and agree to skip the dialog, but have no intention of doing so, you are scum and should be kicked. If you want to listen to the dialog, make it clear that THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME HERE. Players with patience will accomodate you, players without will say "sry, we're looking for a fast run, no dialog" and find someone else.

Its comments and players with this mentality that frustrate the OP, and myself.

Your example, is the worst possible example. There is one choice in BT that affects the mission, and if this is your third or forth time in BT, you know exactly where it is and what it changes. And besides that, the roll decides the outcome of the FP, NOT YOUR INDIVIDUAL CHOICE. You still get light or dark for your own pick, but whatever choices you think you have, you really have no control over how it plays out anyway.

And again, since people cant seem to read: The OP is being very transparent to the group joiners that this is not a run for first-timers. If you LIE and agree to skip the dialog, but have no intention of doing so, you are scum and should be kicked. If you want to listen to the dialog, make it clear that THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME HERE. Players with patience will accomodate you, players without will say "sry, we're looking for a fast run, no dialog" and find someone else.

It took all day but we finally seem to be getting people who know how to read in here! +1 internets to you sir, and well said.

Yeah, I realized that all characters in the "Run" should be the max level of the instance or less (presumably, everyone will be maxed to have any chance of winning).

I'd let someone retain the title until they're beaten. It could be a great honor. ("I did Hammer Station in 5.10 minutes when I was 20th level, and I'm 50th now and I still have the title. No one's beaten our group yet.")

You don't get your Olympic Record revoked because you're no longer in the Olympics, after all. If you've got the best time on the server, it stays with you until someone gets a better time.

I'd say that if an instance is heavily revised or if there's mechanical changes that drastically alter how long it will take, etc, then there should be a reset mechanic of some sort... i.e, if a second goal is added which can't be done in less than a minute, no one would beat "older" records who didn't face that.

These details are for the devs to work out, though. If the idea has traction, they'll look into it.

No, being Group Leader does pretty much mean you own the group. And if you outline certain conditions to be met upon joining, and these conditions are ignored, you are well within your right to kick the offender. That's how grouping works.

No it really really does not lol. Yea you have some pull since you started the run, but you need to go along with what the majority of the group wants to do. So if the group suddenly wants to listen for a portion of the flash point just suck it up. Considering that you are in the minority, and also the conversations are pretty damn short it should not be a kicking offense. If it really is that bothersome then ask people to skip it that way you can see what the group as a whole wants. The logic that you own the group makes no sense, if that were the case do you own all the loot as well?

I have no problem with people wanting to do speed runs; what I have a problem with is the kick and go mentality that you are brandishing about. The Op wants the power to kick who ever he wants without even talking to them or asking them to skip. This is a very anti social behavior, and it has no place in a multiplier game. Just because you took 5 min to put a group together does not make you my master for the duration of the run. Just try acting like and then see how many heals you get mister.

Edited by Golin

This is a plea to addon authors. When this game enables support for addons, someone please make one that identifies players who fail by not skipping group conversations with spacebar. This way I can quickly boot them from my group and try to find more efficient players to group with. When I spam my LFM, I already add "no cutscenes" but people still refuse to hit the spacebar sometimes.

Edit: I think, for now, this issue has been resolved for me thanks to a helpful post by Zannis. I will be now be able to easily determine which player is being uncooperative and remove them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zannis

If people actually looked at the rolls being made on character portraits during a grouped cutscene, they would realize there is already a means to figure out who's watching them in game already.

There will be dots while someone is watching the movie, and a dash when they're done and waiting.

Thank you for this helpful info. I had no idea you could determine this from the group portraits. My groups should run a lot smoother now that I can replace players who don't follow my politely stated rules.

Have you considered shutting up and enjoying the game cinematics, hmm?

whoa, I can't believe this thread is so big. Seriously it should have stopped after the first page. According to the OP he clearly states when using general chat it will be a no cut scene run, soo I really see no problem at all, and I don't get why anybody else would.

Personally I prefer to watch the cut scenes, so obviously I would not join his group. Seems simple enough.

Now it would be completely different id he kicked someone out for watching cut scenes and he never mentioned while recruiting that was supposed to be done.

No it really really does not lol. Yea you have some pull since you started the run, but you need to go along with what the majority of the group wants to do. So if the group suddenly wants to listen for a portion of the flash point just suck it up. Considering that you are in the minority, and also the conversations are pretty damn short it should not be a kicking offense. If it really is that bothersome then ask people to skip it that way you can see what the group as a whole wants. The logic that you own the group makes no sense, if that were the case do you own all the loot as well?

I have no problem with people wanting to do speed runs; what I have a problem with is the kick and go mentality that you are brandishing about. The Op wants the power to kick who ever he wants without even talking to them or asking them to skip. This is a very anti social behavior, and it has no place in a multiplier game. Just because you took 5 min to put a group together does not make you my master for the duration of the run. Just try acting like and then see how many heals you get mister.

1. If you actually cared to read any of the worthwhile posts in this thread, you'd see I actually very much disagree with the OP on a number of points; I stayed in this thread in an attempt to facilitate worthwhile discussion, building upon his very poorly stated premise. I like the story, and don't skip it, given the choice.

2. Just because you personally are all about the group dynamic and everyone having a say, does not mean that is how groups work. If a certain set of rules are outlined by the Group Leader, and another player joins the group, only to disobey these rules, the player is at fault and the GL has the right to remove them from the group with or without warning. That is how grouping has worked in every MMO, and will always work in every MMO. If I'm GL and I state in my LFG post "LF2M for xFP, need healer and dps, (x peice of loot is reserved, all others free roll)" Then these are my stipulations and are law for this group. Now say you join, we run the FP, that loot drops and you roll on it, you have broken my rules. You are the ******. You have had a negative impact on my play experience, and likely the experience of the others in the group, and I kick you right then and there. This is not anti-social behavior, its a simple "You broke the rules, you're gonzo." You don't have to like it. The Group Leader's word is law. Break at your own risk.

I can quickly boot them from my group

This phrase, and what is highlighted is what irked me. I am a well rounded PvE player. I study in depth the class that I am playing to get the most of it and I don't stay in bad stuff.

However, I always see the people with whom I group as a team not as something that I hold ownership. You want to have your group? Pay them some credits for the "service" (Healing, Tanking or DPSing), THEN you have the right to fire them if they don't do the job for what they were "hired" under the conditions of the "contract" that you paid for (in this case, no cutscenes).

Regarding booting. What would you do if the game didn't have the space bar feature? You either would get used to run the FP at the speed dictated by the cutscenes or end playing another game. Such feature is there for a reason: individual choice. Is not fair "booting" someone because is only choosing not using a feature for personal reasons. Imagine the oposite situation, that the FP cutscene is interrupted if only one member of the group hit the space bar. I enjoy cutscenes, I enjoy thinking about how it would shape the future development of my character. I enjoy that as much as I enjoy getting a sweet upgrade. If I am in a group with you and that cutscene is interrupted without my approval I would be mad, would you like me booting you because of that?

Edited by Daggerhowl

Sorry, but this is a MMO. It's not storytime. If you want storytime do it during solo play.

Sorry if interaction with other players in an MMO is wasting your time, maybe you need a genre change?

P.S. Please let me group with you in SWTOR in my travels.

Sorry if interaction with other players in an MMO is wasting your time, maybe you need a genre change?

P.S. Please let me group with you in SWTOR in my travels.

Yeah because watching through the same cut scene for the 100th time is interacting with other players. You are just frustrating the other players.

if someone ever told me that to get in their group not only would i watch the entire cutscene picking as many choices as i could to make it take longer but after the cutscene or every time i had a dialogue choice i would wait till the absolute last second to select my answer. boot me if you want, id rather be booted than some a-hole tell me how to play a game that i spent my 15 bucks on. besides i have a guild so i dont really do pugs anyway. your attitude might be why you have to do pug runs instead of guild runs. my guilds policy is play the way you want to play, you want to watch the cutscene do so. if its my first time seeing it im gonna watch it, after that to be nice to my guildmates ill skip it, but the first one i watch period. if you dont like it dont group with me because im one of those guys that love to make guys like you mad and ill do it for fun and laugh the whole time while eating my frosted flakes.