3 Reasons why SWTOR will continue to be succesful

xNonphixionx

Truth be told, SWTOR is what you make it. A true RPG.

Incorrect.

I actually think that the main problem about SWTOR is the lack of RPG/sandbox content. Currently, your degree of freedom reduces to completing quests that are given by quest hubs (both the quests and the quest hubs being accurately marked on the map, resulting in a heavy "on tracks" feeling) with the objective of getting the best posible gear through grinding. And that's it!

Some brief ideas related to in-game shortages that come to my mind:

- Lack of general RPG options.

- Lack of proper character/vessel/environment customization.

- Lack of lore immersion due to grind-for-combat-gear sole objectives, on tracks quests.

- Lack of competitive crafting (i mean a crafting model where you look for particular players, capable of crafting competitive and very specific items which cannot be found or exceeded by any NPC vendor).

- Lack of "realistic" exploration (with factors like fatigue, thirst, food, supplies...).

- Lack of actions and questing based on player's decisions, "on tracks" questing instead.

- Lack of "secret and mystery factor" besides looking for world bosses and datacrons (this is related to the previous point, eg: you are exploring and suddenly you meet a mysterious character who tells you there maybe some "secret/eastern egg/carrot" in an indeterminate area of the map; you then talk to your friends and prepare an expedition without having a precise idea of what and where you are looking for. In the game's current state everything is too chewed up a/o marked on the map, besides the limiting factor that every item you find is combat related...).

- Lack of a proper and immersive PvP due to lack of strategical victory conditions and events that matter the actual players. No sense of true implcation, achievement or loss. Currently, the only thing that actually matter is getting better combat gear, that's all.

...(we could keep on...).

A game that essentially is a cooperative multiplayer action game (on a subscription basis) whose fudamental goal is to get better gear through grinding doesn't provide a sustainable business model.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to flame the game. On the contrary, I think the game has the potential to become a masterpiece and I want it to succeed and to keep playing and paying for at least 2 years to come. Hope the designers step in the right direction. I'll continue playing and paying, I'm going to give them "the benefit of the doubt", but if on the medium-term I still don't find value proposal, I'll start looking for alternatives (which would be a pity, because I love the Star Wars lore and find current fantasy lore MMORPG quite childish and cartoonish).

Edited by Suturi

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played DCU:O. I did not like DCU:O. It was a very sloppy arcade style game with little to no production value. Oh and also:

1. DC comics are HORRIBLE...Superman? Batman? LAME. The only remotely entertaining DC character was The Flash.

2. It's Sony...What else needs to be said about that? HORRIBLE. They should stick to making TV's because that's all they are good at.

3. It's a Sony DC Universe game...That game was destined to fail and it did/is.

Did you just suggest that The Flash was more interesting/entertaining than Batman? Oh dear...

There are 3 reasons this game will continue to be a massive success....

1. It's Star Wars.

2. It's Sony.

3. It's a Sony Star Wars game. You combine #1 and 2 and you're left with a video game that is destined to be extremely succesful.

Fixed it for you. Wait, what game are we talking about again?

Edited by Uben

Square Enix story >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Biowares.

FFXI had a MUCH...MUCH...MUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH better story.

The 3 option system is a farce. VOs are repeated CONSTANTLY. "Wait, you lost me" "Wait, you lost me."

The options are never what's VO'd. Such crap. Bioware isn't even the real Bioware anymore. The head of PVP PVE OPs development is the guy from *********** Warhammer....(I enjoyed that games PVP a lot more than this one).

I played DCU:O. I did not like DCU:O. It was a very sloppy arcade style game with little to no production value. Oh and also:

1. DC comics are HORRIBLE...Superman? Batman? LAME. The only remotely entertaining DC character was The Flash.

2. It's Sony...What else needs to be said about that? HORRIBLE. They should stick to making TV's because that's all they are good at.

3. It's a Sony DC Universe game...That game was destined to fail and it did/is.

1. Star Wars movies are HORRIBLE... Jar-Jar Bings? Luke Skywalker? LAME. The only remotely entertaining about Star Wars was Darth Vader.

2. It's BioWare... What else need to be said that? HORRIBLE. They should stick to making single player RPG's because that's all they are good at.

3. It's a Star Wars game... That game as an MMO could have been good, but poorly executed mechanics and fail engine was destined to fail and it did/is.

Ylour missing the point.. People make the comparison because it is accurate.. SWTOR already has a quest helper, QT is more usefull and goes to any town or base we have discovered, tanks and healers are not handicapped when it comes to leveling on their own.. WOW had no quest helper at lauch, their hearth stone was pretty much useless and of course tanks and healers had issues leveling on their own..

I could go on, but there are a lot of things that are in SWTOR at launch that weren't in WOW at launch.. So Bioware did make a lot of changes.. But this is still a new MMO.. New program.. There are always going to be bugs and issues that need fixing.. Just as there were for any other MMO at launch.. There is simply no game on the market today that was released completely bug free or without issue.. That game simply does not exist and will never exist..

You're making the same mistake you accuse others of making though. If it's not fair to compare WoW today to SWTOR today, then it's also not fair to compare WoW in 2004 to SWTOR today, because you're giving SWTOR a 7 year lead in MMO development. Compare WoW in 2004 to EQ at launch or daoc at launch, and I promise you, WoW innovated on many things compared to those two (for that matter, daoc innovated on a lot of things over EQ as well).

What you're naming for SWTOR here, things like quest helper, were trends set by MMO's over the last 7 years. In many cases, these were even trends set in WoW (even if it wasn't by Blizzard but by people making addons). Of course they couldn't have been included in WoW launch, because WoW "invented" them.

So it is wrong for people to moan and groan about the bugs in SWTOR if they are not going to hold every other game out there to the same standard..

Nobody cares what a game was like in 2004 compared to today. There is no fair standard here. Comparing a 2012 to a 2004 title isn't fair, neither is comparing WoW's features after 7 years of development to SWTOR's features at launch. In the end it doesn't matter. People don't pick which MMO's they play based on how fair their decision to play said MMO is, they pick the one they enjoy the most. As such, if WoW has more features people enjoy, they will play WoW instead. Sucks for SWTOR, but WoW set a standard in many features players expect, and now they're gonna ask for them, and none of them will care whether WoW had those at launch or not.

I'd have to say the ONLY thing that I dislike about SWTOR is the forum community. Fortunately that's such a small fraction of players. Everyone else is busy enjoying SWTOR. =)

Well enjoying is an exaggeration, what they are doing is making do with what is available till a better option emerges. If anything half decent launched now sw subs would crumble pretty fast.

EA knew what they had on their hands and released it now precisely because they knew what they had on their hands.

Its dull, its average and its longevity is questionable

Its a great single player game.. as an mmo it sucks bigtime

Edited by Hoodlumpriest

Well enjoying is an exaggeration, what they are doing is making do with what is available till a better option emerges. If anything half decent launched now sw subs would crumble pretty fast.

EA knew what they had on their hands and released it now precisely because they knew what they had on their hands.

Its dull, its average and its longevity is questionable

Its a great single player game.. as an mmo it sucks bigtime

dont talk for other people. an 85% retention rate suggests that hardly anyone would agree with you.

1.7 million subscribers

swtor is a success. I understand if it is not your cup of tea but the reality is that A LOT of people like it. Just accept it and go play the game you wanna play.

Not surprising after the first month. We'll see what happens in the 2nd 3rd 4th month.

Not surprising after the first month. We'll see what happens in the 2nd 3rd 4th month.

and that after that you will "not surprising after 2nd 3rd 4th month . We'll see what happens in 4th 6th 7th month"

And so on and so on and so on ............................................

and that after that you will "not surprising after 2nd 3rd 4th month . We'll see what happens in 4th 6th 7th month"

pretty much. At launch it was "you will see after the free 30 days are up and the mass exodus begins"

welll only 15% left, so massive, amirite???? lol

it is surprising, cant think of any other mmo that did that well in the first month.

Rift.

Assuming SWTOR goes the same way as RIFT.

Lets say RIFT sold 1 million copies, it currently has around 36 server. The same number that LOTRO has, if Rift has the same number of subs then they retained about 35% of the number of copies sold.

If SWTOR grabs similar number then its will sit around 700k subs, which would make it the second largest western MMO.

It could very well keep going up. I'm not saying it won't. I'm not saying it will. Basically all I'm saying is that we need numbers before we can say the game is gaining momentum or losing it. THAT no one can really argue with.

I dont see why or how people can compare this game to World of Warcraft. To me, World of Warcraft is the Michael Jackson of mmo's. It's sold millions yet it's really not that good, it mostly attracts little boys, and it's dead.

Op, you fail on so many points. Like a Brand makes a game good and not the game itself. :o Its saying like when you adore Pepsi, you just gotta love Pesi Max because hey Its Pepsi and its dark coloured like normal Pepsi and we also got some cool flag on it.

Idiot

ps Michal Jackson pwns every **** music out there being made atm. Thats my opion but you clearly show how amzing stupid you are by getting those kids involed. You actually have some proof? or just echoing other idiot sheeps, with no fact based opinions

and based off of that chart they all didnt do as well as swtor.

How so? Aion steadily increase it's first few months. WoW of course stomped everything as far as increasing over time.

Everything on the list increased by more than 100%. Now if you want to change it to pure #s to now fit a different argument by all means go ahead and change it so that it can try to fit your argument. But what we were discussing was percentages.

How so? Aion steadily increase it's first few months. WoW of course stomped everything as far as increasing over time.

Everything on the list increased by more than 100%. Now if you want to change it to pure #s to now fit a different argument by all means go ahead and change it so that it can try to fit your argument. But what we were discussing was percentages.

none of em broke 1 million subs after the first month. and my quote you responded to was pure numbers. I said 1.7 million subs. my argument has always been the same.

Edited by mcburly

2. It's Bioware. Love them or hate them you cannot deny that they lead the video game industry in pure storytelling and have captivated audiences for over a decade now. Bioware pretty much showed us gamers what is possible in video games when it comes to interactive storytelling.

Let me guess you have never in your life seen any asian RPGs?