The Truth About MMO's: SWTOR > WoW

Thamelas

Here's a fact. A lot of people are throwing around statements how this game will never be as big as WoW. Well I've got some bad news for you. It its almost already equal. That's right!

The fact is that Blizzard is bleeding subs like a sieve. Also add in the fact that the majority of Blizzard's player numbers are from Asia. Also add to this that Blizzard inflates their numbers with creative accounting. Even during the days of its highest popularity, it only had maybe 2 to 4 million US subs, and MAYBE the same in Europe.

So with that said, given WoW's decline, I am willing to bet that SWTOR, as of right now, is on track to meet and surpass WoW in US and European subscribers.

Reference: http://daeity.blogspot.com/2010/08/blizzards-active-subscription-numbers.html

Edited by Thamelas

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also added to the facts is that 100% of the people playing SWTOR atm are still using the 30 days they got from buying the game....

Now plz, relax and lets see what the future brings.

And again, swtor dont have to beat wow to be a succes.

Also added to the facts is that 100% of the people playing SWTOR atm are still using the 30 days they got from buying the game....

Now plz, relax and lets see what the future brings.

And again, swtor dont have to beat wow to be a succes.

I never said it had to beat WoW. I'm saying it will surpass WoW in popularity in the only markets that really matter.

I'd be careful comparing numbers when their game's not even out for a month yet...

either way I also don't know why people keep comparing it with WoW and seem to want it to 'kick WoW off the throne'

do you guys really care that much? did you get burnt? did Blizzard hurt your personal feelings?

don't get me wrong, I too suffered the utter rubbish talking about WoW back in business school and among some friends for a while.. but I eventually just blocked it out.

WoW can exist as long as Blizzard doesn't decided Titan should be the number one (and it will be number 1 I'm sure of that.. or at least almost sure)

and SW:TOR? yeah, that's the game I'll be playing - and enjoying

edit: the only market that matters is NA? (and 'maybe' Europe?)

you do realise the second biggest gaming market after the US is Japan, right? :p

Edited by amnie

Here's a fact. A lot of people are throwing around statements how this game will never be as big as WoW. Well I've got some bad news for you. It its almost already equal. That's right!

The fact is that Blizzard is bleeding subs like a sieve. Also add in the fact that the majority of Blizzard's player numbers are from Asia. Also add to this that Blizzard inflates their numbers with creative accounting. Even during the days of its highest popularity, it only had maybe 2 to 4 million US subs, and MAYBE the same in Europe.

So with that said, given WoW's decline, I am willing to bet that SWTOR, as of right now, is on track to meet and surpass WoW in US and European subscribers.

Reference: http://daeity.blogspot.com/2010/08/blizzards-active-subscription-numbers.html

<-- +1

Why do people concern themselves with what game is better? Both Blizzard and BioWare have made amazing games, what is the point in comparing one MMO to another when your having fun playing the game, that's really the whole point to a video game is it not?

SWTOR doesn't compare to WoW outside of 'levelling' and 'number of cinematics' so the comparison is dumb. WoW is, and always has been, about end game competitiveness. SWTOR has no end game, at least no end game that is worthwhile. There's just no way SWTOR will ever match WoW in terms of end game mechanics and accessibility, and when 4.3.2 comes out with the cross-realm battle.net raiding, I expect a lot of subscriptions to be renewed. Edited by Cranberries

Yep, and it's not like there's a recurring pattern where everyone tries a new MMORPG for a month and then goes back to WoW. Nope, that *never* happens.

See where we are in three months and this might be impressive.

Pretty much this.

Why do people concern themselves with what game is better? Both Blizzard and BioWare have made amazing games, what is the point in comparing one MMO to another when your having fun playing the game, that's really the whole point to a video game is it not?

selling numbers is not an actual indicator for the 'better' game anyway.

that's like saying Lady Gaga is better than Thursday - and I beg to differ :p

Whilst I am playing SWTOR and gave up WoW some time ago by no means am I going to take your opinion as fact.

When this game has been out a few months we'll be able to get a better picture of what state it is in.

However I don't think it needs to be compared to WoW nor does it need to claim to be a WoW killer. Every time a new MMO comes out they harp on about it being a WoW killer. It's just tedious.

Yep, and it's not like there's a recurring pattern where everyone tries a new MMORPG for a month and then goes back to WoW. Nope, that *never* happens.

See where we are in three months and this might be impressive.

I have done that with most mmo releases, but for the first time I have actually cancelled my WoW to give full time to SWTOR, so the opposite can happen too ;)

The franchise has nothing to do with it, I only watched the very first SW movie, so this is an appeal that comes from gameplay an design purely.

In any case, I do not get why people think SWTOR should have more number than wow at this stage, did WoW have 12.000.000 when it was released? Nope

Give it time.

Edited by Black_Rabbit

the only thing that can kill WoW is WoW itself anyway. people might test out new games when they come out, but I'd say those are the ones who are already somewhat bored of WoW already and play it mostly for the friends they play with.

while I never played WoW I remember a time when I played games when I didn't care about any other MMO .at all. and didn't follow news about them, just hopped into game at the end of the day and was happy to grind along ;D

eventually that feeling subsided, and I started checking out the websites for new games...

Here's a fact.

Here's another fact: Blizzard did not 'creatively account' anything, if they did so in their regulated filings they'd be in huge trouble.

Here's another fact: even IF Blizzard has lost 50% of the players it had at peak .. and the figures show nothing like that decline .. it is still WAY BIGGER than any other MMO in existence and Bioware can only dream about ever getting such numbers.

Here's another fact: Blizzard did not 'creatively account' anything, if they did so in their regulated filings they'd be in huge trouble.

Here's another fact: even IF Blizzard has lost 50% of the players it had at peak .. and the figures show nothing like that decline .. it is still WAY BIGGER than any other MMO in existence and Bioware can only dream about ever getting such numbers.

here is a fun fact... if Farmville lost 4/5ths of it's players right now it would still have more than WoW had at it's peak..

ALL HAIL FARMVILLE THE BEST GAME EVER

Well, the best thing would be that both games keep a playerbase that acutally enjoys playing said games.

When I see players complaining about a MMO and still play it it astounds me, really. I play SWTOR because I like it, not become I spend my time complaining about it. When I see some bugs or things I would like to see improved I send feeback ingame. If it was not the case, I wouldn't play to this game.

Some really like to torture themselves it seems.

Edited by Karson

here is a fun fact... if Farmville lost 4/5ths of it's players right now it would still have more than WoW had at it's peak..

ALL HAIL FARMVILLE THE BEST GAME EVER

cityville is better :p

no actually, the sims social is the best

cityville is better :p

no actually, the sims social is the best

my game has more players so it is obviously superior and will crush you... and your mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FARMVILLE IS ON IT"S WAY TO GLOBAL DOMINATION OF THE HUMAN RACE

opps my crops are done gotta go :p

Edited by Liquidacid