Is the voice acting worth it?

keano

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is worth it.

It's adds life to the game, and heck i recognized Paul Darrows voice at the start of the Sith Warrior storyline (Avon from the old UK TV Sci-Fi Program Blakes 7) that alone is worth the price!

Further ahead though, the voice acting may end up becoming a problem in future expansions. If BW do the expansions stand alone and not change the content of the main game itself, it should be ok for them. However if sometime down the road they are going to be overhauling the storylines for one or more classes from maybe halfway through, having to redo all that voice acting work is gonna cost them.

Don't think they can - it's a client-side thingie.

Anyway my point is YES it worth it. Those who do not care - just skip, those who do - well, those get their BIG pleasure. It's an ill modern WoW tradition - to hit <accept>, gaze at the node on a map and move on to the point, to the cap, asap, because who ever cares for quests.

YES, there are not much of various quest concepts, afair all basic RPG ways were summed up many years ago (in the age of ADOM if not earlier, I may even try to find that doc) and there were less than dosn "typical" quests. But even those "typicals" we have here are damn good. So just will you please leave VA alone. You dont need it - dont use it, and leave it to those who needs.

That's my big gripe. It's not like they came into this blind. The entire story, quests and all is story-driven. This has been well-known for years.

Awww I just looked up the voices on IMDB and realized that Solid Snake (David Hayter) is the voice of the male Jedi Knight. I totally should have rolled that instead of a female as I think he's an incredible voice actor (the female is also really good!)

And apparently Nathan Drake is the consular?!

Edited by talligan

This isn't Mass Effect or Dragon Age. While TOR may be a spiritual successor to those games in the form of borrowed features, those features must fit within the framework of an MMO.

What defined the current MMO was WoW. There is no template frame work that is required to be followed. If this was the case then Why didn't Blizzard follow it? they didn't. They took risks and tried new things to create what they did. So think of it that way. By breaking the MOLD that EQ, UO and MUDS created about the Sandbox style of gaming. Blizzard broke by focusing on WoW Themepark style.

The idea that any company MUST, REQUIRED, MANDATORY follow a framework is short sighted.

What defined the current MMO was WoW. There is no template frame work that is required to be followed. If this was the case then Why didn't Blizzard follow it? they didn't. They took risks and tried new things to create what they did. So think of it that way. By breaking the MOLD that EQ, UO and MUDS created about the Sandbox style of gaming. Blizzard broke by focusing on WoW Themepark style.

The idea that any company MUST, REQUIRED, MANDATORY follow a framework is short sighted.

Totally agree.

agree. but even so, I rather have them that just reading a script someone wrote without the so-called "illusion" of choice.

Indeed. I had a conversation with a guildie not long ago about it. I'd rather have cheesy animations and repetitive dialogue than nothing at all, I suppose. WoW's lore and actual style/character behind their quests trumps SWTOR's, but Bioware's presentation is much better.

I'm starting to worry about the cost of voice acting in the future of this game. I, like the majority of people I speak to in this game skip the majority of the dialogues, I only listen to my main story, which is great. But I feel that BioWare are wasting a lot of time and resources on the voice overs for everything else.

I know BioWare have said several times that they've recorded far ahead with voice dialogues, but imagine the work load if they decided to add new races in an expansion, it would be huge to re-write and record dialogue for all of the current quests.

Another problem is that the voice acting was one of the main features that they focused on when advertising/promoting there game, so it'll be unlikely for them to tone it down or even admit it failed.

I just hope they have some kind've statistics that show who is skipping which dialogues, so if only a small percentage of players are listening to everything, they can allocate resources elsewhere.

There are those who didn't READ the quests in other MMO's and those who don't LISTEN in this one. So, what difference does it make? And why does everyone think they know more than the marketing and professional developers in this $3.8 billion corporation.... sheesh!

Edited by DonDuke

No, it's not

Only the Class Quests should've been Voice Acted; the rest is skipped by most players anyway

This!

I listen to everything the FIRST time, but that's it, and I'd wager to say that is going to be the case going forward for most players. Of course I have no hard data, but I'd be willing to bet that as people move forward with alts that most of them will skip the majority of dialogue, except perhaps class quests.

As much as I've enjoyed the dialogue I'd have to say I feel they wasted resources that could have been better allocated to things like better character customization, a better LFG tool, a day/night cycle on planets, a MUCH better Trade network, more robust space combat, etc.

They are putting a lot of costs into a feature that will get minimal usage. Just not good business sense.

The Effort ? No .. 50% of the players skip everything that isnt the Main Quest.

Im doing it too and believe me Im a guy who loves story, but the side quests are so boring 90% of the time.

please tell me where you got that 50% number and I'll believe you.

I'm starting to worry about the cost of voice acting in the future of this game. I, like the majority of people I speak to in this game skip the majority of the dialogues, I only listen to my main story, which is great. But I feel that BioWare are wasting a lot of time and resources on the voice overs for everything else.

I know BioWare have said several times that they've recorded far ahead with voice dialogues, but imagine the work load if they decided to add new races in an expansion, it would be huge to re-write and record dialogue for all of the current quests.

Another problem is that the voice acting was one of the main features that they focused on when advertising/promoting there game, so it'll be unlikely for them to tone it down or even admit it failed.

I just hope they have some kind've statistics that show who is skipping which dialogues, so if only a small percentage of players are listening to everything, they can allocate resources elsewhere.

Let's spend another hundo mill on VO and pretend like people care about it after 10 levela! ::))

Yes and no. If you think BioWare is reinventing the wheel with TOR, you're either mistaken or delusional. I'll be generous and say you're the former.

What I mean by framework is simple things: The game needs an online component (obviously), a system for questing, exploration and discovery, systems for player interaction like an auction house and teaming, and a sense of community with the tools to foster it--among many other features expected of an MMO.

EDIT - Apologies, because this post is pretty off-topic. Last response.

Edited by Dezzi

Awww I just looked up the voices on IMDB and realized that Solid Snake (David Hayter) is the voice of the male Jedi Knight. I totally should have rolled that instead of a female as I think he's an incredible voice actor (the female is also really good!)

And apparently Nathan Drake is the consular?!

Now I'm off checking who the other voice actors were in Bioware's other games. Apparently Captain Janeway did Flemeth. Cool.

Nerdgasm

So basically they have a toggle to enable subtitles to the VO story. They just need to mute the VO when the toggle is engaged for those that don't want to listen to the VO.

If you say no to this. Then you are just after speed leveling and nothing else.

I wouldn't be here if it was a wall of text like other MMO's and i know a number of my friends that feel the same way.

In fact after playing this i can safely say i won't play another MMO that doesn't have voice acting, going back to walls of text would be like gong back to ZORK.

It is interesting the first time through. After that it loses value quickly and becomes a bother.

I would say it was the wrong place to spend the cash.

This is exactly the game I thought I was buying........ did you not read any reviews or pre-release articles?

Hmmm....

I listen to the class quests on the first player who goes through... But the second one... I don't. I listen to the side-quests once. I never listen to them again. Side quests are about 2/3rds of the questing. Maybe more, but I'll go with two-thirds.

So, worth it? 8 Republic characters, 50% of main quest dialog skipped because it's the same quest. 8 Republic characters, 87.5% of side quest dialog skipped.

Let's do the math:

(.33 * .50) + (.67 * .125) = .165 + .084 = .249, say 25% of effective utilization of the resources. If I did flashpoints, it'd drop like a stone.

If I had an employee that only worked 25% of his hours... I might think twice about paying any more money. Unfortunately, for BioWare, this is a sunk cost and there is no way of recouping those costs by changing it at this point in time.

Obviously others are different. Many skip everything. Many don't skip anything.

Is it enough for me to keep playing a game that's bankrupt of long-term MMO-interest features? Absolutely not. Will the majority of players drop once the shiny is gone from the penny? If Warhammer online, DC Universe, Star Trek Online, Age of Conan and a huge swath of other 'WoW Killers/AAA MMOs" are any indication, the answer is yes. All of these failed because once you got past the shiny penny, there wasn't anything there.

Warhammer and AoC, for example, went from 800K subs to 100K subs very quickly.

And, yes, people I know all about WoW. But this isn't 2004. The market is a far more mature, unforgiving and competitive market than in 2004. So don't even bother to bring it up... You nave no argument about Vanilla WoW which was competing against 2D MMOs and a few much lower than today content, poorly run 3D MMOs like EverQuest.

No. The game clearly has suffered because the voice acting had priority over everything else.

agreed.

And whats more, what its compromised to allow VA is the replayable stuff.

VA is fine, once. then it gets boring.

To be honest I think, having played SWTOR, that VA shoudl be class quests only, with an option to just get a written quest text. that way on alts I could just skim objectives and get on killign X, bonus X, 2nd bonus more X and finally Boss X, and move on....