Is the voice acting worth it?

keano

Pretty good question actually.

As of now, the Voice acting (or rather the RPG-part of this game) is the only thing that's keeping me interrested. (dunno what will happen once i've run everything)

Should this have been traded for other stuff?

depends what they would have done with it tbh.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to worry about the cost of voice acting in the future of this game. I, like the majority of people I speak to in this game skip the majority of the dialogues, I only listen to my main story, which is great. But I feel that BioWare are wasting a lot of time and resources on the voice overs for everything else.

I guess it depends who you speak to. Me and my friends all leveled to 50 listening to 99% of the dialogue. I may spacebar through some side quests on my second time through, but only if i'm in a particular hurry since I plan on playing the opposite alignment.

As for if it was worth it or not, the voice acting and epic cutscenes made my first playthrough amazing, and I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but the end game content isn't as extensive as i'd like, and some recurring bugs are becoming annoying (ui becoming unresponsive randomly, joining warzones sometimes logs me out). So it was a decent start, now we just need to see how they follow through.

If it turns out that they put too much into the initial investment of voice acting, and can't keep up with content/fixes then I'd say it wasn't worth it... but if they can roll out some content, fix the bigger bugs, and get out a lot of the stuff they've been promising (combat logs, ui customizibility, legacy system, you can only say "sometime after launch" for so long), then it very well may have been worth it.

No, but I'm not.

How do you know that? Your only evidence is that people like those games, without anything pointing to the cutscenes as the reason.

Also, I can't figure out what the word "but" is doing in your post. "No I'm not, but I'm not" doesn't really work.

How do you know that? Your only evidence is that people like those games, without anything pointing to the cutscenes as the reason.

Also, I can't figure out what the word "but" is doing in your post. "No I'm not, but I'm not" doesn't really work.

:rolleyes:

Because, it isn't any different, the cut-scenes in these stories all relate to the story, even if in a small way. I'm not even sure where you're trying to go with this, that those game are about story, and this one isn't? Could you be more clear?

And yes but works. "No, but I'm not conflating it". I was shortening the sentence, it was correct in context.

Edited by Jediwran

I also love the VO.

MMO's without this have a different (read: boring IMO) experience. Blocks of text is never compelling to me. The VO is what has made this game a treasure.

I acknowledge it's not for everybody. I know that it may make future installments tricky and awkward and slow to release. But to me, TOR gives me another experience that no other MMO gives. I feel like I'm playing a movie.

VO adds tension and excitement to many scenes which would be flat without it.

That guy over there who wants me to kill 10 wompa rats? Yeah... I didn't really need a 10 minute cutscene for that...

Agreed. There's a thing called "moderation" - Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should. In fact, you should have done something else with that money you just wasted on all those redundant recording sessions and voice acting talent/disasters. I don't know what, but it's something to think about in the future.

In my opinion.

I also love the VO.

MMO's without this have a different (read: boring IMO) experience. Blocks of text is never compelling to me. The VO is what has made this game a treasure.

I acknowledge it's not for everybody. I know that it may make future installments tricky and awkward and slow to release. But to me, TOR gives me another experience that no other MMO gives. I feel like I'm playing a movie.

VO adds tension and excitement to many scenes which would be flat without it.

I agree, and there is a large market that likes that sort of thing. There are a lot of people who "don't get it", for lack of a better word. They'll complain.

signed, only class and major plotline quests really needed cutscenes with voice.

That guy over there who wants me to kill 10 wompa rats? Yeah... I didn't really need a 10 minute cutscene for that...

That's where I disagree. I want to know WHY he wants me to kill the wompa rats. If you pay attention to the story, a lot of them are funny and pretty interesting. A quest on Tatooine called "Loved Ones Lost" comes to mind. You think you're looking for this guy's children, turns out it's droids. Dark side response when you turn it in is hilarious. If you spacebar through you'd definitely miss out on the joke.

ive listened to every quest ive gotten even side quests. i feel it is very worth it and if people spacebar through the game they are missing out on a lot of stuff. but hey people can play how they want. its not like the conversations take all that long anyway but for me they are very worth it and that is what sets this game apart from other games.

If the goal was to excite you in the beginning, then yes, it was worth it. However, the novelty wears off quickly when you realize you have to sit through a 1-2 minute scene to get the age-old fetch quests--or at the very least have to spacebar your way through the scene.

In the prophetic words of Ian Malcom: "Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming."

If the goal was to excite you in the beginning, then yes, it was worth it. However, the novelty wears off quickly when you realize you have to sit through a 1-2 minute scene to get the age-old fetch quests--or at the very least have to spacebar your way through the scene.

In the prophetic words of Ian Malcom: "Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming."

If you've played through many Bioware games, the entire games are about going through these scenes. Same with Witcher. If the novelty is wearing off, it's probably because this type of RPG isn't for you. Some people either dislike those type games, or their attention span can't handle them.

Edited by Jediwran

Go play Rift or a different MMO that's full of boring text that you dont even bother to read then come back and cry at yourself for making this thread.

People with the attention span of a gnat actually appreciate the WoW style. Or, who have zero interest in the story, or their character's story.

Edited by Jediwran

:rolleyes:

Because, it isn't any different, the cut-scenes in these stories all relate to the story, even if in a small way. I'm not even sure where you're trying to go with this, that those game are about story, and this one isn't? Could you be more clear?

Clearer than plain English? Hmmm. Let me think about this one.

Those games were popular.

They could have been popular because people like watching static, CG heads talking.

They could have been popular because people like the stories and would have been fine with the story delivered in a different way, and the rigid talking heads were incidental to their popularity.

You don't know. You are attributing the success to the voice overs because that would support what you are advocating, even though you can't know the real reason.

If you've played through many Bioware games, the entire games are about going through these scenes. Same with Witcher. If the novelty is wearing off, it's probably because this type of RPG isn't for you. Some people either dislike those type games, or their attention span can't handle them.

Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, Dragon Age 2. Played them all. They're a single-player story experience which meshes well with voiced dialogue. My problem is I'm having a hard time seeing it apply to an MMO where quests run the gamut from epic to banal.

In the case of TOR, I think the voice overs add something to the main class quests, but detract from the standard fair of fetch and kill quests. In that latter case, I'd prefer a very pithy "Go here, do this, because such is happening."

I'm also glad you took it upon yourself to dictate what my standards mean for me. If I didn't have some nobody on the forum telling me what's good or bad for me, I don't know where I'd be.

Edited by Dezzi

I think the only big issue with the VO is that MMO players are used to all the spreadsheets, equations, and seeking maximum efficiency. They are in a race to reach the endgame because that's where the "real game" begins since that is how it was in other MMOs.

So something that slows down the process--such as voice-acted scenes--is anathema to them. They become impatient because they are conditioned to need to go go go and get it done.