Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

MAXIMUM PC Rates SWTOR 7 out of 10

Rheemus

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/%5Bprimary-term%5D/star_wars_old_republic_review

"Whoever designed TOR’s sprawling landscapes (and transportation flowcharts) deserves to be Force choked. Traveling feels like marathon training until you gain the Sprint power at level 15, or player vehicles at level 25. Even then, you can probably alt-tab out and watch the full Battle of Hoth while you auto-run your journey between planets, space, and your ship to fulfill various missions.

TOR isn’t designed so you can amass armies of friends to take out a faction leader, nor is it even really geared for generic player-versus-player prior to level 50. It’s telling that even on a PvP server, it took us until level 27 (out of 50) to encounter our first enemy player in the wild. TOR’s instanced PvP matches are simple and fun—yes, even Huttball—but BioWare’s decision to have power-boosted lowbies play alongside top-level characters is baffling.

TOR’s general combat is challenging and interactive. It includes targetable combustibles that can deal significant damage to nearby enemies, and pop-up bonus objectives that give players more of a reason to fight. That said, the boss fights of TOR’s group instances, or Flashpoints, aren’t very impressive through mid-game: The strategies are simple and the tanking and spanking is prevalent.

And then there are the omissions: TOR’s space combat system is more Rebel Assault than TIE Fighter, and it’s pathetic to see no Flashpoint matchmaking system beyond shouting “LFG” in general chat. There’s no true guild support beyond just having one, no in-game achievements for the boastful, and absolutely no UI customization or add-on support to speak of. The game’s Legacy features—beyond granting a player access to a last name around level 30 or so—are even labeled within the game with a big fat “coming soon.” Come on.

But no MMO can go from Padawan to Jedi Master (or Darth) in a single launch window: If BioWare can complement the game’s excellent single-player experience with more of the MMO genre’s successful staples (including a stronger implementation of the features we enjoyed in, say, Star Wars: Galaxies), then The Old Republic could very well be the “prequel” that beats out some of the MMO landscape’s big original titles. How many times do you get to say that about anything Star Wars?"

Edited by Rheemus

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/%5Bprimary-term%5D/star_wars_old_republic_review

"Whoever designed TOR’s sprawling landscapes (and transportation flowcharts) deserves to be Force choked. Traveling feels like marathon training until you gain the Sprint power at level 15, or player vehicles at level 25. Even then, you can probably alt-tab out and watch the full Battle of Hoth while you auto-run your journey between planets, space, and your ship to fulfill various missions.

TOR isn’t designed so you can amass armies of friends to take out a faction leader, nor is it even really geared for generic player-versus-player prior to level 50. It’s telling that even on a PvP server, it took us until level 27 (out of 50) to encounter our first enemy player in the wild. TOR’s instanced PvP matches are simple and fun—yes, even Huttball—but BioWare’s decision to have power-boosted lowbies play alongside top-level characters is baffling.

TOR’s general combat is challenging and interactive. It includes targetable combustibles that can deal significant damage to nearby enemies, and pop-up bonus objectives that give players more of a reason to fight. That said, the boss fights of TOR’s group instances, or Flashpoints, aren’t very impressive through mid-game: The strategies are simple and the tanking and spanking is prevalent.

And then there are the omissions: TOR’s space combat system is more Rebel Assault than TIE Fighter, and it’s pathetic to see no Flashpoint matchmaking system beyond shouting “LFG” in general chat. There’s no true guild support beyond just having one, no in-game achievements for the boastful, and absolutely no UI customization or add-on support to speak of. The game’s Legacy features—beyond granting a player access to a last name around level 30 or so—are even labeled within the game with a big fat “coming soon.” Come on.

But no MMO can go from Padawan to Jedi Master (or Darth) in a single launch window: If BioWare can complement the game’s excellent single-player experience with more of the MMO genre’s successful staples (including a stronger implementation of the features we enjoyed in, say, Star Wars: Galaxies), then The Old Republic could very well be the “prequel” that beats out some of the MMO landscape’s big original titles. How many times do you get to say that about anything Star Wars?"

What's maximum PC?

Anywho:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic 86%

http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/951199-star-wars-the-old-republic/index.html 85.94%

The quote you posted start off by basically saying its bad to have vast worlds.

This is a guy reviewing an MMO, and he complains about a vast world.

That is all.

It's bad to have a vast world and not fill it with stuff. TOR has a big world but it's used well.

Edited by Parali
bad quote

get out from under your hole lol good review right on target maybe this will pressure them to add in some 2012 features like LFD tool and addons

I don't mind addon's but **** like DBM etc..etc.. basically makes game players retarded and incapable of performing without it

get out from under your hole lol good review right on target maybe this will pressure them to add in some 2012 features like LFD tool and addons

see, that's what I was thinking... they are down-rating a game based on things that I personally .do not ever want to see. in this game

Good review. Its solo component is pretty solid, but it's sorely lacking in the MMO part. Endgame, PvP, and crafting need a serious overhaul if it's going to stand the test of time. Edited by Renwo

But no MMO can go from Padawan to Jedi Master (or Darth) in a single launch window

Agreed, too far too soon.

The real concern is longevity, Bioware has marketed a story driven MMO. With every quest outside of the Dailys having a full voice dialogue the challenge will be to continue pushing out content as fast as possible. That doesn't mean an expansion a year down the road either...I don't think players in this day and age will wait that long.

Metacritic and gameranking are not really valid. Bioware staff has been caught multiple times spamming both with fake reviews (astroturfing) on pervious releases such as Dragonage 2. EA in general has also been suspect of doing so.

While I think some of the stuff they point out is fair, there's definitely a lot of "this game isn't WoW, so it's bad" that sneaks in. Saying it's "pathetic" that there's no LFD tool, for example, when most of the gaming community is really split on whether they're a good idea or not. The same with add-ons and macros. I'm personally a yes to add-ons and macros, and no to LFD person myself, but I don't think I'd slam a game just for making different choices than I would personally since what people want in those areas varies so widely.

I also take a little issue with the assertion that there's no way to find groups other than chat. I mean, the current flagging system isn't great, but it does exist, and it seemed a bit unprofessional of them not to mention it, as if they didn't realize it was there.

The third thing was the complaints about travel times. I mean, sure, there are times you need to go longish distances, but isn't that true of any MMO? It's like they want everything to be instantly accessible, all the time, and I'm not sure I agree with that viewpoint at all.

Other than those points, I'm not sure I'd argue with the review very much.

Edited by imtrick

MAXIMUM PC, is an honest reviewer that wasent bought off by EA, or afraid of loosing early beta preview rights from EA for future games, if he is honest, and also they played the game beyond level 30, if you research a bit on both the review sites you cited you will see they dident play the game much beyond level 15.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.