Why oh why can I hurt other players if I am not PvP flagged?

_Darkstar

Victim? You've never played a 2 player game and lost? You lose nothing dieing here. This is no different than having the lowest score in 2 player tetris.

Welcome to the everyone gets a trophy generation.

What an asinine accusation. You lose nothing? So if you are in the middle of following your class quest, and keep getting killed every 3 mins because of people exploiting this PvP loophole you've not lost anything? How about time and patience?

Your example is completely ridiculous: if you are playing 2 player tetris then you have CHOSEN to compete against another player. If you get forced into being PvP flagged while you are attempting to play a PvE game then you didn't CHOOSE to compete against another player.

I'm no spring chicken, but this whole 'trophy generation' insult seems to be getting wheeled out for more and more absurd things every day!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name an MMO where catching an enemy player in an AoE, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into PvP mode. Go ahead.

Rift.

You have a setting that prevents any auto-flagging.

The converse is that your actions have *no* effects on flagged players, even from your own faction. You cannot heal them, cannot buff them. But you cannot accidentally get flagged.

Rift *also* provides the autoflag feature if you set the option correctly.

Which, IMHO, is a far superior setup than what tOR provides.

I'm with the OP. Auto-Flagging on PvE servers should be disabled by default outside of PvP zones. Open World PvP on a PvE server is really rare, and all a player needs to do is right-click their portrait to turn it on. Trying to perform an action that would require a PvP flag should give an error message "You must be PvP flagged to do this action". While I don't see a need for it, an option could always be added to the preferences to enable auto-flagging. Let players decide for themselves how much risk they want. That's why there are PvP and PvE servers, to allow for different levels of risk & playstyles.

Personally, I consider anyone either flagging during duals or walking into AoEs to force a flag on another player is exploiting. I'd be filing a ticket after every occurance in the hope that the auto-flag gets adjusted. Fortunately, it's not something I have encountered on my server.

The real beauty of this thread was on the first page, and has been lost to time. The second post, where the downie Gorgewall challenged the poster to name an MMO where forced-flagging didn't exist, and people began listing several of them.

If you've never played an MMO besides WoW, you really should shut the **** up.

Victim? You've never played a 2 player game and lost? You lose nothing dieing here. This is no different than having the lowest score in 2 player tetris.

Welcome to the everyone gets a trophy generation.

I'm not interested in playing PvP. I object strongly to having someone decide for me that I'm going to have to.

This is more like having someone come into my house and kick over the game board while I'm playing with someone else.

PvP in an MMO holds absolutely zero interest for me.

The real beauty of this thread was on the first page, and has been lost to time. The second post, where the downie Gorgewall challenged the poster to name an MMO where forced-flagging didn't exist, and people began listing several of them.

If you've never played an MMO besides WoW, you really should shut the **** up.

I think the real beauty is that the people who are against the idea of not auto flagging when using an AOE, are usually the same people that tells people to go to a PvE server when they complain about PvP on a PvP server. Now people are complaining about PvP on a PvE server and these people are now telling them to not play MMOs anymore, or change their style of play to account for PvP on a PvE server. :rolleyes:

When my character was many many many levels lower then 50 I had some 50 following him around for over 10 minutes flagged, jumping on top of me, putting himself inside of every mob that I started to attack, ect. He finally got me to flag because my pet tagged him with an aoe.

It's annoying that one person has the power to cut you off from questing and forces you to change your entire play style because they want to grief you.. via PVP... on a PVE server. Rift's solution was so much better then what they have here.

:jawa_mad:

Edited by StarMagus

tells people to go to a PvE server when they complain about PvP on a PvP server.

Because PVE servers are where people participate in voluntary PVP. So it follows if a person is disliking the forced PVP on a PVP server, people will suggest they go play on a PVE server where the playstyle fits more in with what they prefer (voluntary PVP). Hope you understand now :)

Anywayyy, currently with this mechanic - the PVP on a PVE server is forced PVP - this needs to be changed asap.

Name an MMO where catching an enemy player in an AoE, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into PvP mode. Go ahead.

That's just how it works. If they're flagged, anyone and anything can and will do damage to them. If you do damage to someone, you become flagged.

Even the all mighty WoW fixed this.

The ball is still in your court Bioware, how long are you going to keep silent for on this issue.

If this is an intended mechanic on a PvE server (though for the life of me I can't imagine why that would be) please can you acknowledge that and alter your description of your PvE servers types to reflect this as currently you are giving a false information to the people who are paying to use your service.

If this is indeed an exploit (as I hope) then, again, a simple acknowledgement of that and that you are working on a fix will go a long way to helping your community have a little patience while you work on the issue.

Continued silence does no one any favours and will only lead to negative feelings from your community.

:(

That's just how it works. If they're flagged, anyone and anything can and will do damage to them. If you do damage to someone, you become flagged.

City of Heroes, Champions Online, Star Wars Galaxies ... I could go on ...

... amazing how the Griefers are coming out of the woodwork to Defend this obvious benefit to them :cool:

This is one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" design decisions. They could do it one of two ways, but whichever one they pick, its going to irritate some people.

There's always the situation where someone stumbles on a group of players fighting, and wants to help out. The auto-PvP flag system is there to allow you to jump in, without having to dick around with enabling your flag first. The alternative is not to auto-flag you, and you're unable to heal/attack anyone until you explicitly enable it.

However, many people roll on PvE servers with the express intent of not getting involved in open world conflict with other players. So, I think having to explicitly enable the flag to jump into combat is much less irritating to the broader playerbase than PvE players getting flagged for combat unintentionally.

Not really.

option

1. Flagged for PvP

2. Not flagged for PvP

3. Not flagged for PvP and PvP options disabled

There, problem solved.

Only after lots of QQ did they give in to that (dumb move IMO). The game was not originally designed that way.

So she gave a valid response (named an MMO that has the option to avoid damaging the other faction in AoE), and you dismiss it because you don't agree with their decision? :rolleyes: Sorry, doesn't work that way.

And please tell us, why it was a dumb move? Explain why it was stupid to allow people to avoid PvP in this way.

So she gave a valid response (named an MMO that has the option to avoid damaging the other faction in AoE), and you dismiss it because you don't agree with their decision? :rolleyes: Sorry, doesn't work that way.

And please tell us, why it was a dumb move? Explain why it was stupid to allow people to avoid PvP in this way.

Clearly it ruined his griefer games.

The game probably WAS designed that way, only they forgot to take into account the lowest common denominator that will ALWAYS exploit to grief given the chance.

Griefer logic is being used. You're wasting your time trying to get a response. In the mind of a griefer it was a dumb move.

Ill name a couple..

World of warcraft..

Rift...

In world of warcraft a flagged enemy will not be hit by aoe effects. You have to target the player and cast a direct damage spell at them. Tested this the other day to be sure.

I stood in one place channeling blizzard while my wifes hord toon ran all around in it while flagged.

Rift allows to to disable pvp auto flag. The only way to pvp auto flag is to get to close to a the other sides capital area. While pvp auto flag is disabled your bufs and heals will not land on freindly flagged player so you do not even have to worry about friendly flagging you.

OP this was spotted in beta.. BW refused to answer other players said it wasa bug and would be fixed but as you can see it has not.

Its sad that on a pve server pvp players get to decided when i pvp not myself.

WoW doesn't do this. I have tried on my druid to aoe some horde that were attacking SW. It did nothing to them. I had to target one and fire targeted spell to flag PVP. So yea, this needs to be fixed. Its an exploit for griefing and we don't need it.

WoW doesn't do this. I have tried on my druid to aoe some horde that were attacking SW. It did nothing to them. I had to target one and fire targeted spell to flag PVP. So yea, this needs to be fixed. Its an exploit for griefing and we don't need it.

Truth. You speak it.

Longest thread I have ever made and still no response from BioWare, it's not like its a hard question.

Do you plan on leaving the mechanic in place where you can get PvP flagged unintentionally or not?

I am not asking for an immediate fix (I actually understand priorities!) but please just answer this before I hit 50.

Edited by _Darkstar