takes place 3000 years BEFORE Star Wars?

jeepoverland

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get what the OP is saying 'cause it did bother me some as well. TOR and KOTOR never felt to me like they ocurred 3000 years prior to the movies. Maybe a few hundred. Makes you wonder why they chose that particular number (3000). I get the whole tech plateau argument, which at least gives a plausible explanation as to why it looks the way it looks, but some locales haven't aged a day. Coruscant being the most jarring example. I thought the early timeline might have been an opportunity to do something with that planet such as see some environments of the planet before it became a platewide city.

Humanity, upon introduction to a race with higher levels of technology would jump centuries in technology, but once they caught up to the more advanced race future advancements would plateau until both races were about even in a technological level.

Story wise, I know 3 things about Star Wars, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi.

I even got a warning on the forums for "trolling" because I was asking why Storm Troopers were on the Republic side when they should be Empire.

sad times...

Edited by illgot

ahah I was just speaking about this the other day with my friend

NOOOOOOOOTHING changed in 3000 years, clothes, technology, atmosphere anything ahah

Well, we were killing each other with swords, axes and arrows for how long before some guy decided to shoot someone with a gun?

Imo: When you have a whole galaxy's worth of scientists doing research on stuff, you're bound to advance quickly, then hit a wall where there's not much more to discover.

I'd read somewhere this was brought up, and the idea is that, because of the constant wars, technology sorta plateaued and never got amazingly better. Just small incremental improvements.

Kinda hard to improve when there is an enemy who will constantly kidnap/kill your best scientists.

War drives innovation and technology. WW2 for instance spurred much of the advances made in the decades after.

I understand technology not changing, to a point. However what really happend, as once poster mentioned, is they needed to keep the star wars feel. I personally think they went a little over board.

I mean 3000 years later, even after the collapse of the sith empire, and the imperials haven't an update to their uniforms? And for the love of all things mighty can we just get away from Tatooine.

There's a huge dose of suspension of disbelief and a load of relating to the original movies going on, but for an in universe explanation the Republic is 20,000+ years old. They reached their pinnacle thousands of years before TOR's era and the incessant warfare and destruction of the Sith Wars has damaged and destroyed much of it.

Even the Sith and the Jedi in TOR are primitive force wielders compared to their ancestors because of so much destruction and loss. By the time Palpatine rolls around there's been several more massive wars, a Dark Age and the Republic has collapsed before being rebuilt. Sturdy universal technology like power generators and hyperdrives remain but the more exotic has been lost and both Force orders are a pale shadow of their former abilities.

................what then? For 3000 years nobody could come up with better/different technology? I'm to expect the ships basically all look the same 3000 years before star wars? C2N2 is C3PO's great great great great great great great great uncle? Looks like they could be brothers.

Just sayin'

You're 3 games to late.

Im a fan for now....I have 2 lvl 35+ characters and 2 more 15+

But to say the game is "perfect".....you really exposed yourself there. Even the people who created this game wouldn't say that....put the Kool-aid down and learn to think objectively.

hey. anything i cant do better myself is perfect for me. no bugs really bother me and im entertained pretty much all the time... not even a fan of mmorpgs. but anything star wars and anything bioware is like bacon for me. it just dosent get better ;)

By episode 6 they should at least have beaming-up star trek technology right?! Nah the pinnacle of there technology was an easy destroyable over sized "death star." 3,000 years earlier they were destroying planets left and right (so far I have encountered at least 2 conversations of planets being destroyed in SWTOR)

Regarding the destroyed planets if you are referring to Taris that planet is not destroyed merely bombarded so the surface has become difficult to live on. Bombardment is the more traditional method of preventing life from living on a planet.

The Death star had the capability to obliterate a planet so the planet itself was gone entirely and also by pass planetary shields. At this point in the SW universe planetary shields are only being thought of now to prevent planetary bombardments.

We are also talking about people that shoot lightening out of their hands and can choke people without touching them. It's science fiction so therefore whatever the reality is in their time is what it is. They also don't have a McDonalds on every corner and telemarketers calling them on the holocrons trying to get them to sign up for the best deal in town. It's a galaxy that is defined as a Long time ago, since the universe is only a few billion years old it could have been 3 billion years ago.

Here on Earth we are identifying planets that could possibly support alien life in our own galaxy. Within the next 3000 years we may have a way to actually communicate or even visit them because if you would have told someone when America was founded that within the next 250 years we would have people in space, walking on the moon and using devices in the middle of nowhere that could let them talk to someone in China almost instantly, you probably would have been committed to a mental hospital.

I'm a firm believer, that if the universe ever reached the level of technology that is portrayed in the game, there would be a plateau. And in the case of the game and the way the storylines work, 3000 years isn't that long of a time frame.

Yes, I realize Earth's technology has changed DRASTICALLY over the past 3000 years, but we are one planet. With a universe, I do think it would slow way down at some point.

I think we would reach a plateu, but I think you'd be well into some crazy trans-human **** at that point.

Did you go to school, by any chance?.. :rolleyes:

Actually, did you?

You're talking about a period where some of the biggest technological upgrades is going from bronze to iron and learning stone walls keeps the vikings out.

You're talking about a period that the greeks and roman discoveries were locked away in libraries that couldn't be a use to anybody.

You're talking about a period when algebra was the pinnacle of mathematics.

Before the ideas of free trade, physics and calculus technology was at basically a standstill with small discoveries and inventions here and there.

Edited by GeoLager

Time is relative. This is another universe we are talking about, possibly with their own unique measurement for time. Maybe Coruscant has a far shorter orbit around its sun than Earth. As such, 3000 years in their time may only be 300 year in ours. After all, Yoda did live for 900 years of Star Wars time. By using the conversion ratio example above, he would have been alive for 90 Earth years which is entirely plausible. In the end, sci-fi is what you make of it.

Yes. People will come out with excuses like TECHNOLOGICAL PINNACLES or what ever, but the main reason will be that Lucas will have told them to do it this way, and it doesnt make much sense, they just wanted people to be able to relate to the movies. i.e baddies shoot green and fly TIE fighters, goodies shoot red, star destroyers, gold droids, R2 units etc.

Edit : Beaten to it.

Things dont stay in fashion for 3000 years.

This. There's no reason for it beyond "this is what Star Wars HAS to look like".

Because once we reach a level of technology where we're able to make lightsabers and travel at light speed all of our engineers will be too busy nailing alien babes and recreating lightsaber battles to do anything productive and thus technology will plateau.

The technology is slowly evolving in the SW universe, Some people has a silly idea that War slows down the technology or even makes it go backwards, This is not the case, War increases the need for technology to beat your enemy thus the complete opposite is truth, Especialy in a world like the Star Wars universe.

Wait til you discover Warhammer 40k and realize their technology has WORSENED over the course of 20-30,000 years or so.

Weird how universes differ.

Warhammer 40k technology is a result of the Emperor becoming a god, lead the great crusade, got turned against by his own son and being incapacitated and a religious cult springs up that guards technology making it a heresy to reverse engineer it.

FTL travel has been the Star Wars history for 40,000 + years with the earliest ships being force powered FTL drives. The first Republic space farer are as old as 20,000 - 10,000 years. Technology in the Star Wars universe is a bit like the technology of the 20th century and possibly the 21st century. We have reached a plateau and we may sit in it for awhile yet.

FTL has been around much longer than 40,000 years, the celestials had it well before the Rakata even existed (the Hyperspace tractor beam existed 1 million years BBY) as did some others (the Columi had hyperdrives 100,000 years BBY and the Gree had their Hypergates), even humans had hyperspace cannons before the modern Hyperdrive but as far as Humans and the republic go it has been around since 25,000 year BBY ( around 21,000 year before this game's time) because it was the standardizing of FTL travel which enabled the republic to be formed... not long before the KoToR series they were still using older hyperdrives that required hyperspace beacons to navigate (the CHiss were still using that system up to the clone wars) but ya right now from this game to the movies they are in a technological apex with just a few changes no major advancements... anyone who thinks that is ridiculous needs to open a history book and look for how many thousands upon thousands of years we road horses and used the same basic weapons (swords and spears) with little to no real change

The technology is slowly evolving in the SW universe, Some people has a silly idea that War slows down the technology or even makes it go backwards, This is not the case, War increases the need for technology to beat your enemy thus the complete opposite is truth, Especialy in a world like the Star Wars universe.

The problem is a constant state of war makes obtaining the materials you need to take proper advantage of technological advance difficult.

You need war to drive the technolgical advance, but you also need peace in order to properly develop the advances war has brought.

Edited by TheTurniipKing

Because once we reach a level of technology where we're able to make lightsabers and travel at light speed all of our engineers will be too busy nailing alien babes and recreating lightsaber battles to do anything productive and thus technology will plateau.

haha, I like this answer the best. I think in the Star Wars universe there was probably a really popular multi-media phenomenon, which roughly translated to "Space Battles," and once they replicated the lazer swords and mastered the Ashla and the Bogan of the force, they decided no further advancement was needed.

anyone who thinks that is ridiculous needs to open a history book and look for how many thousands upon thousands of years we road horses and used the same basic weapons (swords and spears) with little to no real change

Actually I would think the opposite. They would be amazed at how much technology progressed while we still rode horses and used basic weapons. Everything from seafaring navigation technology/food storage to horse stirrups (revolutionized warfare) and the printing press and advances in mining and metallurgy.

People made some amazing discoveries and advancements without having sophisticated tools.