Rules of Conduct changed? No Naming Policy

Niddi

Can someone tell me when the RoC where changed? The "Last Update" shows Nov 18th, but I'm 100% sure that there was a part concerning naming policy which is now simply gone.

I have to admit that I'm mildly upset about this change.

Edited by Niddi

Can someone tell me when the RoC where changed? The "Last Update" shows Nov 18th, but I'm 100% sure that there was a part concerning naming policy which is now simply gone.

I have to admit that I'm mildly upset about this change.

If they removed the naming policy it means we can name ourselves whatever we choose, which is how it should be. I don't see why you would be upset over that.

If they removed the naming policy it means we can name ourselves whatever we choose, which is how it should be. I don't see why you would be upset over that.

some of the names are completely stupid...but then again if you wana call yoursel f

drlongwiener or something stupid like that, dont expect me to group, rp or join your guild.

Not particularly. It's their game, they can make you change your name whenever they want for whatever reason they want.

some of the names are completely stupid...but then again if you wana call yoursel f

drlongwiener or something stupid like that, dont expect me to group, rp or join your guild.

That's up to you, but I'm of the belief we shouldn't force our opinions on other people. Not everyone plays this game to RP, so why should they care if their name is suitable for rp? If they wanna be called something, let them be called that. So long as it's not blatantly obscene or anything.

That's up to you, but I'm of the belief we shouldn't force our opinions on other people. Not everyone plays this game to RP, so why should they care if their name is suitable for rp? If they wanna be called something, let them be called that. So long as it's not blatantly obscene or anything.

i agree but frankly bioware has the right to limit the names to whatever they want. its their game you pay for the privilage to play it, and ya its a privilage so you have to follow their rules.

but serious some names just suck

i agree but frankly bioware has the right to limit the names to whatever they want. its their game you pay for the privilage to play it, and ya its a privilage so you have to follow their rules.

but serious some names just suck

That's a debate for a whole other time. But their game or not, if it's not in the rules, it's not in the rules, so they can't do anything about it. Mods can't just run around doing whatever they please you know. So if they remove the naming policy from the rules, then that's that.

And I do agree that some names are just terrible. I myself am a RPer so all my character names are viable for RP. But that doesn't mean I'll go and push my ideals onto them, if they wanna name themselves something stupid, that's up to them. I'm not so vain that simply seeing a dumb name will ruin my night.

That's a debate for a whole other time. But their game or not, if it's not in the rules, it's not in the rules, so they can't do anything about it. Mods can't just run around doing whatever they please you know. So if they remove the naming policy from the rules, then that's that.

And I do agree that some names are just terrible. I myself am a RPer so all my character names are viable for RP. But that doesn't mean I'll go and push my ideals onto them, if they wanna name themselves something stupid, that's up to them. I'm not so vain that simply seeing a dumb name will ruin my night.

it doesnt ruin my night nor would i let it:) i rp i enjoy it. but the rules are there and the naming convention *until apparently recently* was there. so shrug.. either way doesnt really affect me. I just tink people complaining about rules bw had/has is silly.

whatever rules they choose to have in game and enforce are the rules we all agreed to.

though i seriously think they need a naming policy. it opens a door to a whole bunch of seriously offensive names if they dont.

Bioware probably got tired of responding to thousands of reports from self-appointed server cops who get offended because someone named themselves Darth Legolas and decided that "deal with it," was a much better method for server management.

As bothered as you might be because someone else chose a stupid name, you can rest assured the person who is forced to change his or her name is 10 times more annoyed at being forced to do so. When it comes to the health of the game and the loyalty of players, strict naming conventions actually have a net negative effct. Doing things that piss off your customers is bad business because even if the customer doesn't quit (which is highly possible) you can be sure they're going to orally destroy you to anyone who will listen, and I think Bioware is finally figuring this out. As nice as it would be if everyone was into the lore and the RP aspects, that's not reality.

Look at it this way, what's more harmful to the game? If potential customers are hearing that "Bioware lets players run around with dumb names," or "Bioware has ultra-restrictive naming conventions that go beyond the simple "race/religion/creed/profanity" rules, and if your name offends someone else for virtually any reason, you might be forced to change it." I mean there are reports of people being forced to change names like "Anemia" and "Spanky." Some of Bioware's NPC's have dumber names than those.

Edited by Mannic

it doesnt ruin my night nor would i let it:) i rp i enjoy it. but the rules are there and the naming convention *until apparently recently* was there. so shrug.. either way doesnt really affect me. I just tink people complaining about rules bw had/has is silly.

whatever rules they choose to have in game and enforce are the rules we all agreed to.

though i seriously think they need a naming policy. it opens a door to a whole bunch of seriously offensive names if they dont.

Well, we didn't actually agree with their rules. Just because we want to play the game doesn't mean we agree with everything. I don't agree with their whole "your name must be suitable for rp" rule as I think it's stupid. As such I challenge it at every opportunity.

Also, don't misunderstand. When I say naming policy and the like, I don't mean from one extreme to the other. I do agree that a naming policy should be in place, same as every other MMO. Offensive names should be banned, as should using canon names like Luke Skywalker. It's mostly just the rp part of it. Bioware's naming policy wouldn't allow you to name yourself something like... xxsupersniperxx or something, and I think that's dumb as hell. It's not offensive in any way, it's not a canon name, it's nothing. It may not be very rp-like, but maybe they don't want to rp and just want to play the game they paid for.

So really it's that one specific part of the naming policy I hate and argue against. The rest is just common sense.

I dont think naming policy is that important but for RP servers. I am on a RP-server and it doesnt really help immersion when Mace'Wiindu or Liquidyoda run past you, that's just plain unimaginative and lame. On a RP-server. On other servers I don't really give a toss, unless it's too explicit, obscene or rude (like names for male genitalia). It is actually a good indicator who to avoid.

Well, we didn't actually agree with their rules. Just because we want to play the game doesn't mean we agree with everything. I don't agree with their whole "your name must be suitable for rp" rule as I think it's stupid. As such I challenge it at every opportunity.

Also, don't misunderstand. When I say naming policy and the like, I don't mean from one extreme to the other. I do agree that a naming policy should be in place, same as every other MMO. Offensive names should be banned, as should using canon names like Luke Skywalker. It's mostly just the rp part of it. Bioware's naming policy wouldn't allow you to name yourself something like... xxsupersniperxx or something, and I think that's dumb as hell. It's not offensive in any way, it's not a canon name, it's nothing. It may not be very rp-like, but maybe they don't want to rp and just want to play the game they paid for.

So really it's that one specific part of the naming policy I hate and argue against. The rest is just common sense.

actually by accepting the EULA you agree to any rules and for that matter rule changes BW has in the game. thats why where there is a major update that requires a change in the EULA we should have to reagree to the eula

just because you didnt read the EULA it does not mean you can legally disagree with it and be free of any punishment.

if you can play the game without clicking I agree button then yes you can play wihtout agreeing to the eula. by clicking that button you agree, plain and simple.

They are not enforcing naming rules because they have better things to spend their time on, like content and bug fixing.

It also puts an end to griefers /reporting people for kicks, as happens in some other MMO's i have played.

As long as it is not obscene, vulgar or a trademarked name... tough, get over it.

Turn floaty names off if you get emotional about other players choice of character name, as Bioware are not interested in hearing about it.

Yes and no. i don't think we should be able to use Star Wars character names from the movies/shows.

True, though there must have been a lot of Lukes, Leias and Hans in the galaxy, I cant beleive that the heroes of the trilogy were the only one.

And the naming policy prevents you from creating a Han, a Leia or a Luke. A bit silly if you ask me :rolleyes:

Now creating a Luke Skywalker or a Han Solo (name+legacy) is ofc another matter...

actually by accepting the EULA you agree to any rules and for that matter rule changes BW has in the game. thats why where there is a major update that requires a change in the EULA we should have to reagree to the eula

just because you didnt read the EULA it does not mean you can legally disagree with it and be free of any punishment.

if you can play the game without clicking I agree button then yes you can play wihtout agreeing to the eula. by clicking that button you agree, plain and simple.

Actually that's wrong. By accepting the eula I agree that I will FOLLOW those rules. I am in no way agreeing with the rules. They're stupid and should be changed. But for as long as they exist, I will follow them.

Actually that's wrong. By accepting the eula I agree that I will FOLLOW those rules. I am in no way agreeing with the rules. They're stupid and should be changed. But for as long as they exist, I will follow them.

follow or agree to it doesnt matter.. you can disagree but it doesnt matter.. how you feel personally about a rule or law ...just flat out doesnt matter..

you agreed that there are rules and you agreed to follow them. it doesnt matter if you like them.. you are just arguing symantics now.. which is silly. because you know I am right.

follow or agree to it doesnt matter.. you can disagree but it doesnt matter.. how you feel personally about a rule or law ...just flat out doesnt matter..

you agreed that there are rules and you agreed to follow them. it doesnt matter if you like them.. you are just arguing symantics now.. which is silly. because you know I am right.

It doesn't matter? How do you think laws/rules are changed? People either dislike a current law, as such it's removed, or they think a law should be put in place, and as such it is. So me not agreeing to this rule really does matter. Since if enough people share my sentiment, Bioware abandons the rule.