300 million US dollars, Star Wars license, Bioware developing etc what went wrong?

TheHirogen

SWG - Not even 400,000 at launch.

SWTOR - Over 2,000,000 at launch.

Is the title, what went wrong with SWG?

SOE + Broken Game = Bad Game.

SWG sold 1.5 million copies, lasted untilit was forced to be closed by lucas arts because having 2 star wars MMO's are bad for business, they closed a week before SWTOR launch, they made profit through out everything.

Now can you answer my question?

SWG sold 1.5 million copies, lasted untilit was forced to be closed by lucas arts because having 2 star wars MMO's are bad for business, they closed a week before SWTOR launch, they made profit through out everything.

He did. You just didn't get the answer you wanted.

SWG did not sell 1.5 million copies at launch. They didn't get the 1 million mark until about 2005, after the game was out 2+ years.

And there's no telling how many of those copies purchased were just people upgrading their current or getting an alt account.

Good job being dumb.

They have experience making MMO with expansions, Bioware had no experience and it shows in everything you do in this game.

Actually, BW took over for mythic on the failed Warhammer, so they did get some experience.

Also, how did previous experience work out for SoE? Don't forget that the same publisher of GW2 also released Tabula Rasa and a vehicle mmo.

Edited by Qoojo

He did. You just didn't get the answer you wanted.

I know, my question is not a this game vs that game, I just show them as examplesof the real question.

How on earth can anyone f up this bad with that amount of cash, that license, that developer and biggest publisher in the world.

What constitutes failure? It will have less than half a million subs within 2 months without a doubt.

How much did WoW and SWG and EvE Online cost?

This is SWG=Star Wars Galaxies

Release 26 of June 2003

This is SWTOR release now 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3QkOaygHik

All I see is in the first link a dated game with much time and effort put in to try and make it look more exciting than it was. The second link is a purposely bad recording with what looks like a phone camera of a computer screen.

Hard to make a point when the bias is all over the links.

BioWare just did not do any homework at all about what works and what doesn't in MMOs. I would have honestly thought that with a completely open 7 year history on World of Warcraft, a developer like BioWare could come up with a well designed game that ticked so many boxes. Yet they failed with even basic MMO game design. Its a disgrace, especially from a developer the calibre of these guys. I don't make any excuses at all for them.

SWG did not sell 1.5 million copies at launch. They didn't get the 1 million mark until about 2005, after the game was out 2+ years.

And there's no telling how many of those copies purchased were just people upgrading their current or getting an alt account.

Good job being dumb.

So then we shoulddisqualify all copies sold to people who bought 2 when itcomes to SWTORs sales figures,in that case no one knows how many copies SWTOR sold. the SWG sales figures are offical, but that is not my question, my question is what went wrong in terms of the game. Just watch the videos, what went wrong?