The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Back in my day...

skrill

This is a good point. Why don't people go back and play the games they are nostalgic for over the years?

Remember the first woman/man/whatever that you had sex with? Remember how awesome it was? Remember how much you loved him/her/it? How do you feel about her now that she's changed and you have too?

*EDIT -- more importantly when looking for new mates do you look for the things that drew you to that person in the first place? Do you compare/contrast your idealized view of your formers with your current?

Edited by Battyone

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stepping into the Plane of Time for the first time was very awesome and memorable after all the work it took to get there. I've never had that feeling of accomplishment in any other game since then. Planes of Power was some of the best content ever even though it made you pull your hair out at times. Nice example of good game design. Edited by TYGRHobbes

This is a good point. Why don't people go back and play the games they are nostalgic for over the years?

I think we realize there is no more to do in those games, or the games do not offer any new ideas. But we want a game that will take us back to that time. The problem is it doesn't exist. :)

So we move on and think back to the old days, but that special time won't be repeated again. It's like our first love. You know why you broke up with that selfish *****, but sometimes you just think about her.

Why doesn't everybody who likes to compare every new game to WoW go play WoW? WoW surely qualifies and an old game now too, having been in development for 10+ years.

The world may never know!

Also, I still play UO from time to time. Just sayin'. :)

The only thing I don't like about SWTOR is how limited the exploration is and how on-rail the game feels.

I would give SWTOR a 10/10 if we had a real world instead of an on-rail theme park.

I love how dangerous the MMOs were and how hard they were, but now that I have work+school+social life (versus highschool), I cannot spend 5 hours to do a corpse run because some idiot trained a bunch of mobs onto my group.

It is truly a shame that mmos have been so watered-down. Some of that stuff sounds more annoying than fun, however nowadays the mmos are so ezmode that there's no challenge and everyone is equal. I don't like that. I LIKE elitism. I LIKE a challenge and amassing wealth. Those are good things for a mmo, and provide a higher level of replayability.

I think we realize there is no more to do in those games, or the games do not offer any new ideas. But we want a game that will take us back to that time. The problem is it doesn't exist. :)

So we move on and think back to the old days, but that special time won't be repeated again. It's like our first love. You know why you broke up with that selfish *****, but sometimes you just think about her.

Amen brother

back in my day we took 40 people into LBRS and farmed the first UBRS key on our server.

back in my day i had to buff kings every five minutes on forty people for six hours while we cleared mc do the math

There are 12 5 minute periods in an hour.

12(5 minute periods) X 40(people) X 6(hours) = 2880 buffs i was casting in one mc clear, plus I was the OOC rezzer.

To this day I still wake up in a cold sweat due to the nightmares about constant whispers

KINGS!!!! KINGS!!!!! KINGS!!!!!!

Edited by haluo

Additionally, we had to sit and mediate staring at a spellbook. You wouldn't know you were under attack until you got knocked silly and awakened from the full-screen spellbook.

Later of course we got gems...or jewels or something...or level 35

Good times! :rolleyes:

Back in my day...

- We didnt have raid groups. We rangled 100+ people and made groups of 6 to try and kill one world boss. None of this 8-man easy mode content. You had to actually have a sizeable group to get things done.

In my day. we grabbed 100 people to try an defend our player towns from other players...

- Raid buffs took 30 minutes and you liked it. There was no massive raid group. Everyone just made their small groups and took orders.

Raids? oh, attacking other realms or player towns...?

- We didnt have these instances...if you wanted to kill something you had to camp its spawn and RACE against everyone else to get it. If you didnt get it you had to wait another 7 days just to get a chance to take it down.

There was always people to kill, and the monster never left for more than an hour or so.. Seven days? that doesn't sound like fun at all...

- If you had a weapon that had a "The" in it, it was legitmately epic. There was MAYBE two or three on the server and it was drooled over.

We used for the most part, player crafted weapons and gear. made for a great community.

- Purple loot was actually epic. None of these quest turn ins, full epic gear by soloing content bull*****. Being decked head to toe in purple actually meant something.

Why would i want to paint my weapons purple? I was more into the valorite or black armor myself, my crafter was one of the first on the server to have a good business

- Orange loot was MAYBE one or two per server.

orange?? see above.

- You couldn't solo your way 1-50. You HAD to group because mobs were too mean to kill by yourself. It built a genuine connection across the server and people really got to know eachother.

We built our skills, so you didnt have to hear "DinG1!1!1!!" every 15 minutes... that was nice :)

- Getting access to an endgame zone took WORK. Months and months of work to even get INSIDE.

Sounds very appealing :/

THATS THE WAY IT WAS AND WE LOVED IT

Not in my day.. that sound atrocious...

(Feel free to add your own)

Why'd ya start so late?

To everyone who pretends to have played Everquest, this OP really did. I don't know him, I can tell since he's talking truth.

Here are my two:

1 -- If you died you had to run and loot your corpse, no matter what hostiles were around it, and how easily they may kill you since you got lost and went somewhere you shouldn't. (Damn you Butcherblock Chessboard and my lowbie ranger...) In addition you could give someone permission to drag your corpse to somewhere safe, but that also meant they could just loot it and take your stuff.

2 -- When you died you lost experience, you could lose levels.

So obvious an old-EQ'er isn't it? :D Talk about losing levels, you forgot to mention that if you were silly enough to bind in a spot that was within agro range of agro mobs, each time you resurrected you would be killed again on the spot, just to respawn and be killed again...

rinse and repeat until you aren't level 50 anymore but level 1.

Back in my day the gaming world was text. Players that made it to the highest level were called Wizards and could create items and landscapes and quests in the game.

THIS! I'm shocked you're the only one to mention MUDs. Back in my day my game of choice was text based. You typed all your commands and you had to read to know what was happening. If you died, all your stuff was up for grabs to whoever else was there. If you died to an NPC, you lost experience - you could lose enough experience that it was going to be almost impossible for you to ever level ever again so you'd just delete the character. Your character would die permanently of old age if it was around too long. If you died too often, you died permanently. If you played a priest you had to ask a guy (your God) for your powers - nicely - or you couldn't learn any skills past level 10.

Hard knocks baby. None of this crying about UI windows not overlapping nonsense or claiming everything was cloned from WoW (hint, half this crap has been around for 20+ years) ;).

Edited by dcgregorya

Actually people didn't "like it". Which is why it evolved to be..you know, FUN.

If I want to experience the joyless tedium and soul crushing failure potential the OP talks about, I'll do it for a living and make money, which is what normal people expect when having to do that kind of crap.

They don't spent all day suffering through that frustration, only to get home and do it for fun, The only people who enjoyed the mess that was early mmorpgs are neckbeards, who didn't having anything similar in real life, to feel important.

Now you have a few gamer PC elitists who think a game is only good, when it's flogging them with its mechanics.

I have life to kick my ***, I don't need my recreation to do it too.

Edited by Fiachsidhe

1 -- If you died you had to run and loot your corpse, no matter what hostiles were around it, and how easily they may kill you since you got lost and went somewhere you shouldn't. (Damn you Butcherblock Chessboard and my lowbie ranger...) In addition you could give someone permission to drag your corpse to somewhere safe, but that also meant they could just loot it and take your stuff.

Or had to pay your savings to a Necromancer to summon it because you meant to hit Temple of Sol Ro, but your ******* went in a different Sol and fell into the lava.

I miss EQ. I miss people powerlevelling and being worthless because their skills weren't levelled up. I miss sitting on my butt in Crushbone, Highpass, Guk, etc. etc. etc. actually getting to know random people on my server.

/ooc CAMP CHECK!

NO quest logs you had to write your own to know what was going on...And find the location yourself by knowing the world around you.

And who said we didn't like it because that was the best communities in MMOs. People had friends and played a lot together for hours on end. You had to know people to play the game. Everyone was pretty much friendly and fun to be around.

Edited by Thorbrand

EQ just put out another expansion too.....the 18th one.

Vent? what Vent? you type it all out and you like it! I would like to see the average gamer these days set up a Complete Heal chain and keep it going through a boss.

/sigh the good ol days

1999-2006

/ooc TRAIN TO ZONE! MOVE IT OR LOSE IT!

Lol, vent.

In SWG we ran an in game auction event for charity. People donated items, we set up an account for the charity (Leukemia, 1 of our guildies had passed away from it), and then auctioned the items for cash.

I had volunteered to be the auctioneer. It wasn't until that morning it hit me, I was going to type everything out. 8 hours later I had, and I have to say we did a good thing. But my hands cramped for 3 days afterwards.

Lol, vent. That would have been nice.

So obvious an old-EQ'er isn't it? :D Talk about losing levels, you forgot to mention that if you were silly enough to bind in a spot that was within agro range of agro mobs, each time you resurrected you would be killed again on the spot, just to respawn and be killed again...

rinse and repeat until you aren't level 50 anymore but level 1.

Dear god, that didn't happen to me but I could see it happening.

I forgot one...

/y TRAIN TO ZONE!!!!!!!!!!!!