Do you support an in game version of Recount. Please give reasons for your answer.

Israel

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need and want have no real difference in a game.

You just officially lost this argument.

I want DPS meters.

You don't want them.

Our opinions are equal.

But the facts aren't.

You don't need the meter to play.

People kill bosses at all difficulty levels, proving the above statement.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, just not their own facts.

Edited by JustTed

its called pay attention to what your doing! its not that hard to figure out the best sequences to maximize damage output.
Yes it is... it's literally impossible to know whether it's actually be maximum damage without that level of data.

you can guess that it's best... but you can't know that it's the best.

You didn't get it do you?

DPS meter have impact on every player!

People will be flamed if the do not get this UBER ROXOR skills for MAX DPS.

People will not get into groups if they don't reach this 9000 DPS or aggro.

People lose any changs of individual gearing or skilling as they MUST take what the selve called e-peen kings dictate.

Sure, numbers can help ... but only in the right hands!

In the wrong hands they will destroy far more then they provide!

And every game with such informations have shown, that this tools WILL BE ABUSED for whatever reason!

Most players will not profit or use them at all.

Just a very small group will take the right conclusions out of the provided data.

And another group which isn't to underesterminat WILL use them to flame, blame, rage, destroy ANY friendly environment.

THIS are the arguments AGAINST such tools!

So create a guild that doesn't use any addons, or just no damage meters, I mean by reading your comments one would think a guild like that would have over 1000 members easily.

Edited by zolthie

Why do I suspect the people that think damage meters are only for bragging are the ones that perform the worst? I rarely see meters used for bragging--but I do see them used a lot to point out lousy players....

This is true.

I'm also impressed that someone is now trying to use my forum name and me being pro-meters as an example of why we shouldn't have them. Really? I mean, really? Clutching at straws a bit now arent we guys?

Amazingly my brain is capable of enjoying the story of content while also thinking about numbers.

Multitasking, I know, difficult concept.

And yet you require a program to do numbers work for you....interesting.

This is true.

I'm also impressed that someone is now trying to use my forum name and me being pro-meters as an example of why we shouldn't have them. Really? I mean, really? Clutching at straws a bit now arent we guys?

Agreed. I don't care what anyone's forum name is lol. Addons still make the game easier, it is literally what they are designed to do, and I think that's bad.

Edited by Gohlar

Yes... we know.

What we don't know is why you need it, despite my asking several times.

I'll save you the trouble: You don't. You want it to brag with.

You don't need it to play the game. We know this because people kill bosses at all difficulty levels without it. This is really a knock-down argument you won't acknowledge.

I'll save YOU the trouble.

Every boss at the current endgame has a minimum dps requirement. Metrics for tanks and healers are fairly simple. If the tank dies, one of them screwed up somewhere. But there is currently no way to measure the performance of our dps, and dps is key in every single boss fight at endgame.

It's not about bragging. People that stroke their e-peen with recount are just as bad or worse than people who can't be bothered to improve their performance and show up expecting to muddle through everything. Both of those types of players are not welcome in decent raiding guilds.

Amazingly my brain is capable of enjoying the story of content while also thinking about numbers.

Multitasking, I know, difficult concept.

Amazingly, I'm capable of enjoying being a DPSer without knowing I'm the best one on my team.

Not deriving self-confidence from a video game: shocking, I know.

But the facts aren't.

You don't need the meter to play.

You don't need the game client to play. You can play the game in your mind.

Again, if you are going to argue need vs want, all you're doing is showing that you have no valid counter argument.

One other thing:

I'm a tank.

Immortal specced.

Wearing almost all +def, +shield, +absorb.

How exactly do I want DPS meters to brag?

I'm going to be at the bottom (or I damn well should be) in every fight.

Do you know what I played in DAOC? A tank.

WoW? A tank.

WAR? A tank.

AOC? A tank.

LotRO? A tank.

I only get high on DPS meters when someone in my group sucks really really bad.

And yet you require a program to do numbers work for you....interesting.

There is no way in knowing what's best or what works better than something else with no combat log, damage meter etc.

Sure you can use numbers and come up with something, but that's only a theory that can't be tested.

I just did...

Look if you want to lie to yourself and pretend like it doesn't help you be my guest, but that means you shouldn't care so much about having it implemented. :D

I am not saying it doesn't help. It does. It just doesn't tell you what to do. Go look at all the work done on EJ. Those posters are not getting that work directly from something like Recount. There is a ton of work that goes into figuring out what's optimal.

Go look at something like World of Logs and tell me where the big black letters are in that data saying push this, do that?

To me it's like a stock analyst being expected to make recommendations and estimates but not being able to have access to the financials. Can he do it? Maybe. Is he going to be very accurate? Not a chance.

/YAWWNNNNNN

This arguement still going on? Oh well, it would appear many of the same people are argueing in favour but outnumbered by those argueing against. Lets hope BW have the common sense to leave 3rd party programs out of the game.

Indeed, having add ons in WoW made that game die. Oh wait, its just an extra feature which adds more functionality and flexibility.

To not take examples from the market leader is suicide, lets hope the people at BW know more about the market than you.

You don't need the game client to play. You can play the game in your mind.

Again, if you are going to argue need vs want, all you're doing is showing that you have no valid counter argument.

Forget need vs want. Addons make progressing through content easier, there is no denying it.

I do not support downloading programs to help me beat the game.

You know these two anti add on people are just trolling.

They keep repeating the same and ignore any serious comment while they quote small parts of post to pick them apart.

They have no intention to discuss it seriously, so please stop feeding the trolls.

Edited by TheHauntingBard

Amazingly, I'm capable of enjoying being a DPSer without knowing I'm the best one on my team.

Not deriving self-confidence from a video game: shocking, I know.

To strive for victory in all things is not about deriving self-confidence, it's about victory.

Some people float.

Some people look at every challenge, no matter how trivial, as an opportunity at victory over others.

One other thing:

I'm a tank.

Immortal specced.

WoW? A tank.

WAR? A tank.

AOC? A tank.

LotRO? A tank.

Same here. I'd actually prefer Omen. ;)

One other thing:

I'm a tank.

Immortal specced.

WoW? A tank.

WAR? A tank.

AOC? A tank.

LotRO? A tank.

Or if you are a druid after a patch :D haha

Lets get rid of health bars too while we are at it. I mean info makes the game too easy right. You'll know you're dead when you drop.

LOL! That is true.

Based on the logic of people's "anti-meter" argument, you could then go on to say we should remove inspecting other players' equipment and stats. And maybe let people appear to be wearing topnotch gear when they're really in greens, just so nobody has any factual, founded knowledge to make rational decisions with (i.e. inviting someone to a serious raiding guild, kicking from group based on performance/equipment, etc).

You could just have Joe the Newb that bought an account online that has high level equipped gear, but he plays poorly. Or you could have someone in all grey gear at level X being carried by the group, and nobody would know, but it wouldn't matter because we're all great friends online and have tons of time to carry strangers on the internet through dungeons right?

That's the logic of their argument.

And yet you want a program to do numbers work for you....interesting.
Fixed. I want a program to do the numbers for me; it's convenient, and lets me spend more time playing the game and less time managing spreadsheets. It's convenient. Much like owning a car, it lets me spend more time doing what I want.

Addons still make the interface less clunky, it is literally what they are designed to do, and I think that's bad.
fixed that for you as well.

addons make the interface less bad; they don't make the game easier.

Addons doesn't play for you, addons doesn't make the game easier. Get real, stop being clueless, it's just sad to read your stupid posts.

I agree that addons don't play for you and that they should be supported in general, if for nothing more than better interface and player comfort. BUT to say they don't make the game easier... that is pure denial and laughable. Knowing the optimal rotation, makes the game easier, being able to bind heals to your mouse in a way that works better than the current possibilities makes the game easier. Being alerted of what is on cooldown or what is happening around you in a more visible manner makes it easier.

That isn't debatable, what is debatable is whether increased player comfort and knowledge are bad things. To me being able to setup things the way I want them so I'm more comfortable and transition between things better is a good thing, comfort based ease isn't the bad kind imo. The bad kind is the kind where it removes needing awareness and general skill.