Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

seatown

Not that I ever said something like that, but perhaps we who weren't completely up in arms on this matter are just in game, enjoying it, more than hanging on the forums?

I´d like to enjoy it and get some kick out of it but it feels tedious at the moment. I´m at lvl 42 but I´ll resubscribe in 1.3 or 1.5 to enjoy the rest of the story development when the game has evolved.

Perhaps many are in arms on this space matter because they expected a similiar experience to SW Galaxies, which was closed down right before release of SWTOR. In that case you would expect a successor to a hybrid space/ground sandbox MMO, that´s what made SWG unique. Trashing that recipe was not a nice surprise for me personally.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I´d like to enjoy it and get some kick out of it but it feels tedious at the moment. I´m at lvl 42 but I´ll resubscribe in 1.3 or 1.5 to enjoy the rest of the story development when the game has evolved.

Perhaps many are in arms on this space matter because they expected a similiar experience to SW Galaxies, which was closed down right before release of SWTOR. In that case you would expect a successor to a hybrid space/ground sandbox MMO, that´s what made SWG unique. Trashing that recipe was not a nice surprise for me personally.

Alright, later.

It has always been my opinion that SWG:JTL was pure rubbish. And that is coming from a 3d-flight/combat fan.

Alright, later.

It has always been my opinion that SWG:JTL was pure rubbish. And that is coming from a 3d-flight/combat fan.

complete rubbish is a bit harsh, I´d say it wasn´t close to the original X-Wing series, but the concept of MMO space battle combined with ground missions was great.

Also the atmospheric flight and landing was pretty cool.

Not that I ever said something like that, but perhaps we who weren't completely up in arms on this matter are just in game, enjoying it, more than hanging on the forums?

Lol, which part?

The buggy/poorly designed raiding(Bugs more challenging than mechanics? :rolleyes:) and pvp? I'm convinced a dev said 'We need more cowbell here. Lots and lots of cowbell.' and some idiot heard 'crowd control'. Some people point to the resolve bar and I point out that it works very well at turning white just before you die. It really should pop up from your corpse like a grave marker. At least then it would be useful.

Or maybe the utterly broken Ilum or crafting/player ecomony/GTN?

Or perhaps the tiny sliver of class story for an alt as you plod through the massive amount of endless trash quests that you just cleared on your main? My space bar will never be the same.

Or my current favorite. 4 to 6 (Repub) on 8 (Imp) pvp matches. For the Republic player that hasn't quite had his teeth kicked in enough on Ilum by the hordes of Empire to switch factions, boy have we got something fun for you! For roughly 75% of your matches, we're going to start you in the hole and only add players to replace the dudes who drop. No, no, my friend. That isn't bad design, that is what we call a challenge. Now buck up little camper and go get em!

I could go on, but meh. Picking on Swtor is like picking on a slow kid. Too easy and kind of cruel. Except I'm the slow one. While I worried such a bad design choice on space might reflect on the game as a whole, I just couldn't believe Bioware would bork the ground game so badly...so I bought the Collector's Edition and two months game time.

Who is the village idiot? <----This guy. This game is bad. Justin Bieber, this game is bad.

Glad you're enjoying yourself though. I'm hoping there are enough like you to keep this game afloat until it gives me something worth playing. WoW taught me you don't give them money until they give you the content you want, so I'm truly depending on you guys.

Edited by nosuchname

I only got to try SWG a few months before they pulled the plug on it with a two week trial account. So really my main gripe would be I expected to fly my ship in space.

I tend to mock Swtor as being a choo choo train, but really its more like a log ride with a trough that lets you move a bit before you bump up against the walls. Calling that a space game is like claiming the log ride lets you sail the Seven Seas. You need some exceedingly good pharmaceuticals to find that happy place.

Hopefully, however if it was happening and likely to appear in 2012 I'd have thought they'd have some definate mention of it.

But hopefully they just being super secret for some reason.

Failure to mention space combat at their guild summit. They really don't have anything.

Glad you're enjoying yourself though. I'm hoping there are enough like you to keep this game afloat until it gives me something worth playing. WoW taught me you don't give them money until they give you the content you want, so I'm truly depending on you guys.

I'm sure we'll be alright. You go do what you have to do.

Alright, later.

It wasn't perfect, in fact far from it.

But was it better or worse than SWTOR space combat, really?

SWTOR is basically a version of Star Fox [1992] that you might find on a smart phone in 2012.

It's hard to argue that it's as ground breaking (however much or little you argue it was then) as JTL was in 2003.

I don't think anyone's asking for Elite 3 in SW or X³ in SW, but X-wing Vs Tie Fighter might be nice!

I dont think they should make an off rails space combat system because the Hero Engine is trash and couldnt handle it.

I do however think they should make 16 man space combat operations.

I can hear it now.

SOMEONE CC THAT STAR DESTROYER. QUICK TROOPER SHIP, TAUNT THE DEATH STAR. LUKE USE YOUR PHOTON TORPEDO NUKE. MORE LAZERS. NOAW. GET OUT OF THE LAZER PIT. NOW.

I dont think they should make an off rails space combat system because the Hero Engine is trash and couldnt handle it.

I do however think they should make 16 man space combat operations.

I can hear it now.

SOMEONE CC THAT STAR DESTROYER. QUICK TROOPER SHIP, TAUNT THE DEATH STAR. LUKE USE YOUR PHOTON TORPEDO NUKE. MORE LAZERS. NOAW. GET OUT OF THE LAZER PIT. NOW.

I think there is a hero engine based space shooter.

That's not to say whatever version they have in SWTOR would do it though I guess.

There ya are... still saying that people wouldn't have an issue with the current space content after launch? Seems to be quite a few new people saying pretty much the same things we were before launch and during beta...

I play quite often but come to the forums when I can't play. Just as I thought I have no interest in the current space combat and am slowly running out of things to keep me subbed. Thankfully I found a few guild mates to keep me occupied in PvP but that is only for the time being. I have heard the horror stories about lvl 50 PvP and don't look forward to it at all.

Failure to mention space combat at their guild summit. They really don't have anything.

The question was asked and the response was a 'super secret project in the works'.

That is all the information I'm aware of at this time.

The question was asked and the response was a 'super secret project in the works'.

Was hoping for more of a timeline or sense of the project's scope and scale, but at least it was mentioned.

hhm, so either they don't have anything or what they have even they feel isn't worth talking about.

That's saying a lot about the lack of quality considering how they revealed the fail rails with much fanfare at E3 and described the scripted tunnels as "epic".

Edited by shepardcomander

hhm, so either they don't have anything or what they have isn't worth talking about (even in their own opinions).

Kind of a negative outlook.

Let's try something constructive:

What direction would you like BW to take space combat?

There ya are... still saying that people wouldn't have an issue with the current space content after launch? Seems to be quite a few new people saying pretty much the same things we were before launch and during beta...

I'd say that the community in general seems to have taken a pretty chilled out stance on the whole subject. Where's the promised "outrage" we were hearing so much about pre-launch?

being deleted or banished to the suggestion box.

Sorry, this thread and it's many incarnations were left to run its course.

Never a dev response, and I also never noticed a post removed.

Tis sad BW won't at least talk about the direction they are taking space combat.

:(

Edit:

I'd love to know where they are taking it so we could supply feedback early on.

Edited by Azzras