Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

seatown

Sorry, this thread and it's many incarnations were left to run its course.

Never a dev response, and I also never noticed a post removed.

Tis sad BW won't at least talk about the direction they are taking space combat.

:(

Edit:

I'd love to know where they are taking it so we could supply feedback early on.

It's hard to see due to the speed of supression, but here's one from just this morning. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=351979&page=2

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 thumbs up, my friend.

But a post of this quality and research is far beyond this game.

Expectation wil never be meet,

and yes patch 1.2 is not the patch you're all waiting for.

Netheir wil be 1.3 even though they all will look that promising.

And space is very empty . . . . . . . . . .

OP said he's not asking to scrap the current tube shooter type game.

Oh, yes we are!

It's terrible not being able to control your own ship amongst a few other things.

I actually want the fail rails to coexist alongside a form of space combat that is worthy of the name Star Wars. That way metrics data could show which fom is better and conclusively demonstrate how big of a mistake the tunnels are.

Edited by shepardcomander

Hah! Yeah... right.

Excellent response... I can see where you disproved his statement with facts... er...

Excellent response... I can see where you politely.... er...

Excellent response?

Hate to break it to you Trenter but reality holds true. Lots of people do not like the current model OR don't mind it but would prefer something better. Exactly as I and others stated before launch. Feel free to disprove this.

Excellent response... I can see where you disproved his statement with facts... er...

Excellent response... I can see where you politely.... er...

Excellent response?

Hate to break it to you Trenter but reality holds true. Lots of people do not like the current model OR don't mind it but would prefer something better. Exactly as I and others stated before launch. Feel free to disprove this.

You're not breaking anything to me, as I have my own pair of eyes. Yeah, lots of people do not like the current model. Lots of people are also enjoying it. There are also people enjoying it and still wants them to expand on it with new features, myself included. Exactly as I said before launch aswell. But this total outrage that was predicted - you know when the crap was about to hit the fan and Bioware would never know what hit them and so on... that really didn't come to fruition, did it?

You're not breaking anything to me, as I have my own pair of eyes. Yeah, lots of people do not like the current model. Lots of people are also enjoying it. There are also people enjoying it and still wants them to expand on it with new features, myself included. Exactly as I said before launch aswell. But this total outrage that was predicted - you know when the crap was about to hit the fan and Bioware would never know what hit them and so on... that really didn't come to fruition, did it?

Wow.. I guess it is true that ignorance is bliss.

You have obviously missed the numerous threads locked and posts deleted. That's ok I understand it's because it does not fit your world view.

Nor did the 3 million subs they were hoping for come to fruition. Guess these fail rails failed to attract a large enough subset of Star Wars/video game fans. Had bioware taken our feedback for action they'd be higher than their 1.7 million and climbing instead of ebbing.

It was once said that the most damaging numbers these tunnels will produce will be the number$ that won't be seen. Those numbers can already not be seen republic side on most servers.

The longer they delay delivery of a fun form of space combat the bigger the hit to their bottom line.

Edited by shepardcomander

Wow.. I guess it is true that ignorance is bliss.

You have obviously missed the numerous threads locked and posts deleted. That's ok I understand it's because it does not fit your world view.

No I didn't miss them. You seem to have missed loads of the responses in those threads before they were locked however. It's not all about the OPs, Galius. This has nothing to do with my "world view". There just haven't been an outrage. As I said, there're lots of people that don't like it, but also lots of people that do.

No I didn't miss them. You seem to have missed loads of the responses in those threads before they were locked however. It's not all about the OPs, Galius. This has nothing to do with my "world view". There just haven't been an outrage. As I said, there're lots of people that don't like it, but also lots of people that do.

I didn't see any responses about how great it is or how it was keeping people subscribed...

Have been seeing people say good bye though and mentioning space combat as one of the reasons.

Alright, later.

It has always been my opinion that SWG:JTL was pure rubbish. And that is coming from a 3d-flight/combat fan.

Yes it wasn't that great:

• Bad or should I say nonexistent flight dynamics.
  • Poor UI
  • Not great power management
  • No good missions either
  • %$#@ annoying taunting enemies

What was good though:

The idea of space mining (Yes we know Han doesn't space mine, nor Leia...)

Crafting the ships and the components

Interiors. Some models are way better than SWTOR ones.

Multiplayer game play

(edit) I don't blame the devs, they had really not enough time to make it. I mean SWG ones.

Edited by Deewe

Eve Online is already doing this via Dust 351 or whatever it is called. One single massive MMO combining two different play styles. I honestly hope they can pull it off because it will be a game changer.

PvP had a different look and feel prior to the 10 ton gorialla named warcraft. While they made it easy to play regardless of platform the whole tieing some aspects of games (pvp for example) to a confined space ruined it. Doing the same to space I think isn't a smart idea either.

I do though, wish, they would treat our ships like a normal mount and let us take them anywhere. That would be a start :)

The 'on rails' space missions are fun the first few times, but repetition soon removes the gloss. When you know exactly what will happen every time you run the mission it gets boring. Sure you can set yourself goals of achieving bonuses, but once you know how to do those it remains boring and just another grind for commendations.

Much better would be full freedom of movement where you have objectives but can pilot for yourself. The main encounters would still need to be scripted, but if they could add in a random element to the 'trash mob' craft that would help improve things. And also a more sophisticated set of bonuses to aim for. Something to shake things up a bit so every mission isn't a carbon copy.

Seems to me Bioware think the average player of SWTOR can't cope with a proper space combat sim so they dumbed it down and put it on rails. It can't be for ease of programming because if that's the case then all they needed to do is import the game engine from the X-Wing vs Tie Fighter series of games from the 90s and bring the graphics up to modern standards. In fact, that would be a great idea :)

The 'on rails' space missions are fun the first few times, but repetition soon removes the gloss. When you know exactly what will happen every time you run the mission it gets boring. Sure you can set yourself goals of achieving bonuses, but once you know how to do those it remains boring and just another grind for commendations.

Much better would be full freedom of movement where you have objectives but can pilot for yourself. The main encounters would still need to be scripted, but if they could add in a random element to the 'trash mob' craft that would help improve things. And also a more sophisticated set of bonuses to aim for. Something to shake things up a bit so every mission isn't a carbon copy.

Seems to me Bioware think the average player of SWTOR can't cope with a proper space combat sim so they dumbed it down and put it on rails. It can't be for ease of programming because if that's the case then all they needed to do is import the game engine from the X-Wing vs Tie Fighter series of games from the 90s and bring the graphics up to modern standards. In fact, that would be a great idea :)

Sorry, but that is not my opinion at all. The low level of accuracy in this attempt at telepathy towards others - especially Bioware - gives me reason to think the avg Player may be fine.

While I support future plans to bring in Free Flight, I am also content to remain in this present game implementation.

As for repetition, while some may become bored faster then others, some arcade games survived a rather long time in the fondest part of memories, and they were filled with repeating sequences.

Sorry, but that is not my opinion at all. The low level of accuracy in this attempt at telepathy towards others - especially Bioware - gives me reason to think the avg Player may be fine.

While I support future plans to bring in Free Flight, I am also content to remain in this present game implementation.

As for repetition, while some may become bored faster then others, some arcade games survived a rather long time in the fondest part of memories, and they were filled with repeating sequences.

BW I believe stated they are going to expand upon current missions as well as their 'secret project' for space combat.

I wish they would talk about this 'secret space project' at least a little.

BW I believe stated they are going to expand upon current missions as well as their 'secret project' for space combat.

I wish they would talk about this 'secret space project' at least a little.

If this is accurate, I hope so as well.

Right now I could use some air support for my current ground Quest; would be a nice feature to have extra firepower or a nearby drop zone. :csw_shuttle:

I really like swtor but...

I really thought we'd have space pvp by now.

It doesn't take much to make a 3d space shooter.

At this point I feel like its entirely a design decision and not a technical or monetary issue.

: /

I will remain subbed for a while longer but...

I am not happy with this.

At this point I feel like its entirely a design decision and not a technical or monetary issue.

What features would you like added.

Me, I want full control space combat and PvP.

What features would you like added.

Me, I want full control space combat and PvP.

Those two things exactly.

If this game had that I would be very very very happy.

I personally believe that bioware should expand their pvp to as many different game types as possible. No one likes playing capture the flag every time.

Space pvp would alleviate some of this.

New pvp maps would too. Maybe dota-eske WZ. Idk.

I really am going to need more then huttball soon.

Edit: I am legitimately upset about this. I don't really know how to convey that properly through a forum.

Edited by metalgearyoda

I've got fond memories of old arcade games too, spent many many hours playing them. Doesn't mean I want to now though, most memories are best left as just that, memories. Things move on.

The current space missions are fun, but the repitition will get old for everyone, some obviously sooner than others. Free flight space combat has so much more longevity. And it's not like they need to reinvent the wheel, there's a great heritage of Star Wars space combat titles already within the Lucasarts stable which they could draw inspiration from.

Those two things exactly.

If this game had that I would be very very very happy.

I personally believe that bioware should expand their pvp to as many different game types as possible. No one likes playing capture the flag every time.

Space pvp would alleviate some of this.

New pvp maps would too. Maybe dota-eske WZ. Idk.

I really am going to need more then huttball soon.

Edit: I am legitimately upset about this. I don't really know how to convey that properly through a forum.

Well for PvP, I know they are adding a new ground map in 1.2.

They are also opening the other WZs up to same faction (which I would assume is why you are tired of huttball).

Nothing new for space in 1.2 sadly, but they hinted at a secret project for it.

I wish they would at least talk a bit about it.

edit: Me

And I have not a clue on how easy or difficult it must be, but I am gonna guess it may be more complex than some believe as we do not have it yet.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.