Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

seatown

4. the space battle was a on rail shooter. Think about the trench run luke was flying down a set path and had only a few seconds to fire his missles.

5. ehhh Hoth battle wasn't exactly space combat and the chase through the asteroid field felt more like an on rails shooter. The MF didn't even fire a single shot it just dodged things.

6. You could say the bulk of the space battle was a free form space battle except of course the flight in the death star.

Of course it doesn't matter they already said they are adding something big to space combat. My money is on X-wing vs Tie Fighter style pvp battles. Basicly you queue up for them and then you get put into a space battleground and fight.

So saying they need to add better space combat is kind of silly at this point since they are wokring on it. Now if the new space combat sucks then by all means you should complain but at least wait.

So we should wait until they bring out the new space combat, then complain? Wouldn't it make more sense to make suggestions on how to get it right before they bring it out, so hopefully they read the posts and get some idea of what people are expecting/prefer?

I'd rather they have a read, do some research, test out a few things, then get it right first, sorry, second time.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol

Look at all the space battle we have already. Countless Flashpoints on ships. You're just all bent because you can't fly the ship. Everyone wasn't flying ships in the movies either! Star Wars is not about a bunch of fighter pilots! It's about the Jedi & the Sith.

But some were piloting these ships. Why have limits?

;)

Look at all the space battle we have already. Countless Flashpoints on ships. You're just all bent because you can't fly the ship. Everyone wasn't flying ships in the movies either! Star Wars is not about a bunch of fighter pilots! It's about the Jedi & the Sith.

Without people flying ships most of the SW movies just don't work.

It's like saying LOTR isn't about battles (it isn't, but without battles it could not be the story it is). :confused:

Many of the most memorable bits of Star Wars are in space....... which is probably why they've been many more space combat Star Wars games than any other type of Star Wars game. :csw_yoda:

Edited by Goretzu

Without people flying ships most of the SW movies just don't work.

It's like saying LOTR isn't about battles (it isn't, but without battles it could not be the story it is). :confused:

Many of the most memorable bits of Star Wars are in space....... which is probably why they've been many more space combat Star Wars games than any other type of Star Wars game. :csw_yoda:

We have NPCs to fly the ships. :rolleyes:

Oh and we have a rail shooter.

BAM we have Star Wars!

Edited by Kourage

BAM we have Star Wars!

Wow you have low expectations of what a star wars game should have. Oh well, as long as your happy with that I guess. Me, I prefer a bit more involvement from myself than just clicking a mousse and moving a cursor. That's all the space game in tor involves really. Makes me sad.

Wow you have low expectations of what a star wars game should have. Oh well, as long as your happy with that I guess. Me, I prefer a bit more involvement from myself than just clicking a mousse and moving a cursor. That's all the space game in tor involves really. Makes me sad.

I dont know what he is so worried about, does he somehow think when they do the space part that they will somehow turn off the ground game lol. Its not one or the other as its going tobe both game types.

PS check the link in my sig for a compiled works of what space could be from peeps across the forums.

I dont know what he is so worried about, does he somehow think when they do the space part that they will somehow turn off the ground game lol. Its not one or the other as its going tobe both game types.

PS check the link in my sig for a compiled works of what space could be from peeps across the forums.

Nice work! Maybe they could add a space section to these forums, sooner rather than later, so we can have one place to post and read.

What would be great is if we could not only have our first ship from the class quest but also build our own. I'd love pvp space battles as well as exploration. It would be brilliant also if we could have some of our guild mates man turrets, repair the ship during battles and have some active involvement in our ships.

Factor 5 had this down very well in the rogue squadron series.

Edited by sambeta

So we should wait until they bring out the new space combat, then complain? Wouldn't it make more sense to make suggestions on how to get it right before they bring it out, so hopefully they read the posts and get some idea of what people are expecting/prefer?

I'd rather they have a read, do some research, test out a few things, then get it right first, sorry, second time.

they already know what we want and they haven't released any new information so yeah at this point you have to wait and see.

I guess we can have the same threads posted over and over again but it won't do any good till they realse some info.

they already know what we want and they haven't released any new information so yeah at this point you have to wait and see.

I guess we can have the same threads posted over and over again but it won't do any good till they realse some info.

All the more reason to have a space sub section on the forums I guess. I like reading through the threads, gets me all excited at what could be lol.

I'm not worried about anything. Just correcting the people claiming it isn't Star Wars just because they can't free pilot their little star fighter and go lollygagging around the Galaxy.

I'd still love a raid zone,FP,OP etc where it was in space. We could even end up with customizable ships and at least be able to show them off. Wouldnt want an Eve type game just something that added to the Star part of the Wars :)

I'm not worried about anything. Just correcting the people claiming it isn't Star Wars just because they can't free pilot their little star fighter and go lollygagging around the Galaxy.

Yeah, nothing ruins an mmorpg faster than having other players around or letting the player control their own avatar. Single player rail shooter is how real mmorpg's do it in 2012.

BAM we have Star Wars!

"BAM" we have Star Fox [1993] with a Star Wars skin. :rolleyes:

"BAM" we have a single player rail shooter that isn't even cutting edge on a smart phone (seriously there are actually free flight ones on smart phones now) in an MMORPG. :rolleyes:

"BAM" we still don't understand how we can have a space opera without space. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't not be Star Wars if all we could do was flying our ships around the Galaxy and couldn't set foot on a planet or even see a lightsaber either......

So what is your point? :confused:

JTL like space implementation is the only thing that can save TOR from running out of subs because of upcoming MMOs

Or hopefully they'll actually create a fun 3d space addition that people will actually play. JTL was a snoozefest.

Great post, unfortunately, based on what we've seen so far from bioware with this game I highly doubt that they can/will create a wide open sandbox style space experience that is actually enjoyable.

Although, they copied wow to make swtor, perhaps one or two of the devs played JTL and can replicate the great expereince that was.

Great post, unfortunately, based on what we've seen so far from bioware with this game I highly doubt that they can/will create a wide open sandbox style space experience that is actually enjoyable.

Although, they copied wow to make swtor, perhaps one or two of the devs played JTL and can replicate the great expereince that was.

Either way I think they will do it the way most of us don't want it, because they will again choose the way of least resistance, meaning queuing up for a short space flight warzone, or something themepark styled like a flashpoint mission... :(

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

All they have to do to make space combat perfect with 3D axis is to look at the Rogue Squadron games (Gamecube ones). Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike.

These were still space missions that contained you in a certain area (you got turned around if you went too far out) and you still had tons of freedom in-game. I was HOPING that space combat in SWTOR would be the same way as this, but I was very disappointed by them.

I remember the Battle of Endor in Rogue Leader. That was an epic battle and I felt like I was really there, helping the Rebels defeat the Death Star. It's leagues above the garbage space missions we have in SWTOR.

There was no reason for them not to implement full 3D roaming into space. It just makes me feel trapped when I do space missions. Even typical Rail Shooters (Starfox) has some free roam areas in some parts of the mission (usually bosses in Starfox 64, but Starfox:Assault had a lot more free roaming parts.

Edited by Spiderbubble

I think some people have unreal expectation from a theme park MMO even it is from Bioware.

It was known pre-launch that space was going a rails shooter and just there to give people the option of gaining some xp in space rather than doing mission quests.

Saying that it seems there lack of patience and everyone wants everything right now and it just won't happen as new content takes times.

We don't know what Bioware have planned for space and I would say that people just need to have some patience for once and see where they take it.