Are high res out of the game because of the PC heat issues?

fendergibson

*le sigh*

Thats why i stated that the heating issue is more of a problem in cutscenes...because of higher textures which only enables there, as well as the FPS skyrockets without Vsync.

So again, what happens once higher textures are released? then people who are not having problems now, will get problems.

But i can answer everything you said with, stop defending their bad programming.

If they actually optimized it better, and no, this is not only in the video drivers, then things would run better and not cause the problems that already is occuring for lots of people.

You answer everything by "well, if they bought a pc with bad cooling, its their fault, they should have known this, and they should have built their own rig."

Do you really think this is the case everywhere? Do you have a clue who the major consumer actually IS? I can safely say you dont work within marketing :) Sorry mate, but you are a minority, and so are the people posting on these forums. And most people who post here, also tend to have better than average specs on their comps, compared to the casual player who doesnt care about forums at all.

Yes i agree that if you buy a crappy comp, its your own fault, which i have stated again and again, but i also think that you should expect the devs to optimize their game A LOT better then this.

-Bioware can either tell their customer "you need to buy a new comp because we slacked off on the programming"

or

-Bioware can tell their customer "hold on, we will try to optimize the game better, so it doesnt look like s**t, and also run like s**t"

I favor the last sentence, and the point of this thread was to point out how badly optimized the game currently is.

Now you can reply with some new stuff while cluelessly defending bioware, but im tired of stating the absolute obvious now :p

Edited by fendergibson

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your graphics card is designed to have sufficient cooling and run stable at normal clock speed, even at 100% load (like using furmark). No game ever reaches this point constantly, and if you are having problems, there is something wrong with your computer/laptop.

omg this thread is making me feel stupid!

this. So. Much. This!!!

Might also be dust.

Anyone who's having a heat problem could do worse than clean their computer out - use an aircan to get dust off the all the fans (incl PSU), components, etc., then carefully use a vaccum cleaner (without bumping anything in the comp) to hoover up the resulting dust bunnies.

Can make an enormous difference if you haven't cleaned your comp in a few years and you live in a dusty house. You'd be surprised at the gunk that can build up, preventing proper cooling.

Just a thought.

oh look, someone who has no idea what hes talking about.

the guy was talking about running the game at a high res. if you're running a 3 and a half year old pc, and the only new part you have is a gpu, then there is no way you are running the game at 1920x1080 or higher res that the guy is referring to.

I dont have vertical sync on, run the game at 1920x1080, and have everything except shadows on high quality(even grass and trees).

I'll agree that Shadows makes the game slow to a crawl, but other than that it runs GREAT. Then again I do have a very nice machine that I built maybe 2 years ago. But I did skimp on the video card(put $300 into the 4 core processor and $300 into the SSD instead) and got a 'Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3' instead.

Now im not sitting here and watching my processor or video card temperatures every second while I'm playing, but I dont get any red alerts saying that it's overheating. I dont get this memory leak that others talk about either. And I've sat here playing this game for a LONG time one weekend.

In any case, it just sounds like he's trying to play the game on a setting higher than he should. It doesn't matter what other games you're able to play just fine.

Just dont cry cause you can't play 1 game without max settings

Thats why i stated that the heating issue is more of a problem in cutscenes...because of higher textures which only enables there.

So again, what happens once higher textures are released? then people who are not having problems now, will get problems.

But i can answer everything you said with, stop defending their bad programming.

If they actually optimized it better, and no, this is not only in the video drivers, then things would run better and not cause the problems that already is occuring for lots of people.

You answer everything by "well, if they bought a pc with bad cooling, its their fault, they should have known this, and they should have built their own rig."

Do you really think this is the case everywhere? Do you have a clue who the major consumer actually IS? I can safely say you dont work within marketing :) Sorry mate, but you are a minority, and so are the people posting on these forums. And most people who post here, also tend to have better than average specs on their comps, compared to the casual player who doesnt care about forums at all.

Yes i agree that if you buy a crappy comp, its your own fault, which i have stated again and again, but i also think that you should expect the devs to optimize their game A LOT better then this.

-Bioware can either tell their customer "you need to buy a new comp because we slacked off on the programming"

or

-Bioware can tell their customer "hold on, we will try to optimize the game better, so it doesnt look like s**t, and also run like s**t"

I favor the last sentence, and the point of this thread was to point out how badly optimized the game currently is.

Now you can reply with some new stuff while cluelessly defending bioware, but im tired of stating the absolute obvious now :p

STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION.

Higher res textures in NO WAY translate into higher temperatures. Textures sit in Video memory, memory is low voltage and not part of the GPU or CPU.

Optimization and performance of this game engine HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TEMPURATURE OF YOUR COMPONENTS.

Whatever point you are trying to get to you are seriously way off base now.

Edited by JeedaiFiresaber

Engine 'optimization' has absolutely NOTHING, repeat NOTHING to do with how hot your graphics card will get. Optimizations in the engine net greater performance (frames per second). performance in no way = heat in graphics cards. Load on the GPU increase power draw which then creates heat.

But optimization also has something to do with how good a game runs based on how great it SHOULD run based on its graphics ;)

Edited by fendergibson

This thread got overfilled with elitist PC cooling nerds comparing celsius numbers now, as if it was the inch of their ...

The problem is meant for those who doesnt spend 500$+ just on cooling, but play on an average comp with subpar cooling, or bought a PC on bestbuy etc. This is what the majority actually does, and they are the ones having the issues.

Wow. Compensating much? :)

*le sigh*

Also, I posted my specs because you keep droning on about $2000 laptops and $5000 rigs being the only ones daring to deny the heat issue. I only "needed" to post my specs to show you your continued attack on everyone who says they have no issues is wrong and completely and totally stupid to keep continuing with it. Yet, you keep continuing with it.

This, but hey... Someone has a jealousy issue or something and cannot look at the help and information being offered, only at what he can't afford I suppose. :confused:

Edited by Smokey_the_Bear

But optimization also has something to do with how good a game runs based on how great it SHOULD run based on its graphics ;)

THis has nothing to do with 'components overheating'.

And how good the graphics look =/= how the performance runs.

Case in point Minecraft. It is 8 bit and blocky by design, but the way the engine loads blocks on old single core slow architecture can actually be very very taxing due to the nature of how the game engine works.

STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION.

Higher res textures in NO WAY translate into higher temperatures. Textures sit in Video memory, memory is low voltage and not part of the GPU or CPU.

Optimization and performance of this game engine HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TEMPURATURE OF YOUR COMPONENTS.

Whatever point you are trying to get to you are seriously way off base now.

That was just an answer to tell him i knew high textures was in the game, but not available.

The problem with heating and cutscenes/conversations is that without vsync, the FPS skyrockets and the gpu gets 100% gpu load

That was just an answer to tell him i knew high textures was in the game, but not available.

The problem with heating and cutscenes/conversations is that without vsync, the FPS skyrockets and the gpu gets 100% gpu load

There is nothing wrong with 100% GPU load. GPUs are designed to do 'x' amount of work. the Cooling provided is meant to keep this in operating temperatures to do 'x' amount of work. If this is not occuring it is not the game's fault, but a fault of your hardware, or dust build up in your system, or the confines you have the machine stuffed into, or insufficent cool air intake/heat exhaust of your case, etc etc etc.

So again. there is nothing wrong with SWTOR.

THis has nothing to do with 'components overheating'.

And how good the graphics look =/= how the performance runs.

Case in point Minecraft. It is 8 bit and blocky by design, but the way the engine loads blocks on old single core slow architecture can actually be very very taxing due to the nature of how the game engine works.

The main problem with heating atm, which i have stated in the first post in the thread, and then over and over again is:

-Lack of FPS limiter for those who doesnt use Vsync.

It is simply what bioware should add asap, before they do anything else to fix the issue people are having. Right now the game will stress the gpu at 100% constantly with Vsync turned off = easy to overheat on systems that doesnt have as good cooling, laptops or older comps.

A well-programmed game keeps the GPU at 100% load all the time. Because that's what the thing is supposed to do, pump out high-quality frames as fast as possible. Unless the game has an FPS-cap or you have Vsync enabled, the game should push your machine to the max. And most games do.

The reason why cutscenes have higher FPS is that the scenes are much simpler than normal open world scenes. There are no other characters, the positions and viewing angles are fixed and pre-determined, etc... The computations are simpler, which means they're faster and that means more frames per second. In a busy scene with lots of dynamic lighting and other player characters the GPU computations will be much more complex, which means they'll take longer and FPS will be lower. GPU should still be at full load, or something is wrong (or something else is bottlenecking the system).

The main problem with heating atm, which i have stated in the first post in the thread, and then over and over again is:

-Lack of FPS limiter for those who doesnt use Vsync.

It is simply what bioware should add asap, before they do anything else to fix the issue people are having. Right now the game will stress the gpu at 100% constantly with Vsync turned off = easy to overheat on systems that doesnt have as good cooling, laptops or older comps.

There IS a frame limiter...its called VSYNC in the graphics options, as with 90%+ of all other games on PC. Your hardware failing at 100% normal load =/= their problem.

A well-programmed game keeps the GPU at 100% load all the time. Because that's what the thing is supposed to do, pump out high-quality frames as fast as possible. Unless the game has an FPS-cap or you have Vsync enabled, the game should push your machine to the max. And most games do.

The reason why cutscenes have higher FPS is that the scenes are much simpler than normal open world scenes. There are no other characters, the positions and viewing angles are fixed and pre-determined, etc... The computations are simpler, which means they're faster and that means more frames per second. In a busy scene with lots of dynamic lighting and other player characters the GPU computations will be much more complex, which means they'll take longer and FPS will be lower. GPU should still be at full load, or something is wrong (or something else is bottlenecking the system).

FALSE.

Even BF3 doesn't have 100% GPU usage. Most games never ever ever pin the GPU @ 100% constantly. This is due to the console market we live in. Most modern game engines need to work on the XBOX/PS3 and both have weak GPUs when it comes to shader fidelity, but stronger multithread CPUs with extended instruction sets, thus most engines these days are far more CPU bound than GPU bound.

You just have to know how games work, and clearly you do not. Nor have you ever watched a GPU monitor while gaming.

no heat issues, because good colling...but its only game that makes my APC to beep loudly and hardly sometimes.

i think game just use almost all resourses of computer at max performance, intensive use of cpu cores gpu load memory hard drive, all working hardly

There is nothing wrong with 100% GPU load. GPUs are designed to do 'x' amount of work. the Cooling provided is meant to keep this in operating temperatures to do 'x' amount of work. If this is not occuring it is not the game's fault, but a fault of your hardware, or dust build up in your system, or the confines you have the machine stuffed into, or insufficent cool air intake/heat exhaust of your case, etc etc etc.

So again. there is nothing wrong with SWTOR.

Why did you think WoW added a FPS limiter ingame? :)

They suffered the same problem when vsync was turned off.

And yes, for an elitist guy like yourself, its easy to always say "nah, his pc isnt top notch, so its his prob". But the real case is that tons of pcs actually DOESNT handle 100% constant gpu stress, or in most cases the pc can handle it, but it requires a noisy fan to run at 100% all the time while the components slowly die :)

Many brands or "build your pc" shops sell pc's with poor cooling, and lots of casual players play on these. They suffer from not having a FPS-limiter.

Why do you think almost every game has a FPS limiter? and what do you actually think is its main purpose?

Or have you thought about the fact that some people prefer to have their comp more silent instead of having their fans run at 70%+ all the time?

A FPS limiter fixes a lot of this, but by all means, defend every faulty part of SWtor and keep saying "everything is perfect!" to yourself, when it isnt.

Haven't read more than the first page but will add my experience anyway.

I have a rather new rig. Bought the parts and set it up in september. Have played numerous different games since then with no real problems. With Swtor however on "max" settings, my fans suddenly started getting really loud. The temperature went up about 15 degrees Celsius compared to other games.

I had to start a cpuid hwmonitor to track my cpu temperature to make sure it didn't get into dangerous levels. It didn't, but it reached the low 80´s C. Normal is maybe 60-65 C.

Yes this IS an issue, its a known problem with SWtor that the bad coding causes more stress than necessary. Thats the whole point in having an optimized game. And based on SWtor's graphics, its badly optimized compared to other games.

And again, that you play on a 2000$+ modified 17" alienware laptop with new heatsinks doesnt really help your case.......

Ok I see what you are...You're one of those SWTOR haters. No matter what anyone says you're going to believe, spread, propagate that EA/Bioware put out a crap game full of bugs AND has bad coding that isn't optimized for god only knows what computer.

So there is no reasoning with you then. Someones computer overheating playing this game is not the fault of the computer fans or the case couldn't be, but is in fact the games bad code not being "optimized" that is causing all the problems.

Got ya.

Edited by Ceasaigh

Why did you think WoW added a FPS limiter ingame? :)

They suffered the same problem when vsync was turned off.

And yes, for an elitist guy like yourself, its easy to always say "nah, his pc isnt top notch, so its his prob". But the real case is that tons of pcs actually DOESNT handle 100% constant gpu stress, or in most cases the pc can handle it, but it requires a noisy fan to run at 100% all the time while the components slowly die :)

Many brands or "build your pc" shops sell pc's with poor cooling, and lots of casual players play on these. They suffer from not having a FPS-limiter.

Why do you think almost every game has a FPS limiter? and what do you actually think is its main purpose?

Or have you thought about the fact that some people prefer to have their comp more silent instead of having their fans run at 70%+ all the time?

A FPS limiter fixes a lot of this, but by all means, defend every faulty part of SWtor and keep saying "everything is perfect!" to yourself, when it isnt.

You are still ignoring the fact that if you turn on VSYNC your problem goes away. Not every engine has an FPS limiter built in, most have one in by design from the console version of their game where most games are limited to 30FPS. This is what VSYNC is meant for, limiting frames and screen tearing.

Hardware is designed to handle 100% load. end of story. If your computer can not handle that take it up with your manufacturer.

Every game has an FPS limiter? yes its called VSYNC.

You want your computer to be quieter? Get quieter fans, or don't do hardware intensive tasks like gaming. That's like saying my car should be silent at 100 MPH.

I never said "nah, his pc isnt top notch, so its his prob" and i never said "everything is perfect!"./ I said you were wrong.

Heat issues are NOT caused by any game. They are caused by poor cooling.

You can easily use programs like Furmark to max out your GPU's load for extended periods to test your cooling system. This is more than any game could possibly do in a real-world application. If you do this and have acceptable temps, you should be fine since you should have the same or lower temps in SWTOR.

Check your ventilation, thermal compounds/pads, and fan speed.

This.

The thread really should have ended here. If your machine over heats, it's a hardware issue.

Yes, your machine will run hotter performing some tasks, because your hardware is being pushed harder...but if it over heats it is due to flaws in your system's hardware.

Don't go blaming SWTOR for exposing a flaw in your cooling system....that flaw was already there and would have caused an issue eventually anyway. As gamers, it is up to us to make sure that our machines are up to the torture that we put them through.

This.

The thread really should have ended here. If your machine over heats, it's a hardware issue.

Yes, your machine will run hotter performing some tasks, because your hardware is being pushed harder...but if it over heats it is due to flaws in your system's hardware.

Don't go blaming SWTOR for exposing a flaw in your cooling system....that flaw was already there and would have caused an issue eventually anyway. As gamers, it is up to us to make sure that our machines are up to the torture that we put them through.

QFT

/5char

This.

No according to the SWTOR haters it's bad code causing peoples computers to over heat. The game isn't optimized, "everyone knows this" "it's a known issue".

People are playing SWTOR for extended duration's with PC's that are NOT OPTIMIZED for extended playing at max settings. Of course things are going to get hot if you have 2 fans stock cooling small case and big graphics cards.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Ceasaigh

You are still ignoring the fact that if you turn on VSYNC your problem goes away.

Every game has an FPS limiter? yes its called VSYNC.

Hahahaha!

Sorry, but you have no clue do you?

You talk like a smart person, and try to speak like you know everything and im wrong, and then you pull that s**t out of yourself?

classic :)

But btw since you didnt read, the whole purpose of this thread is especially for those who play with vsync turned off because of the many issues/bottlenecking vsync can cause :)

But yes, this thread should end, since the whole point of it went away long ago apparently.

Conclusion:

ADD A FPS-LIMITER OPTION FOR THOSE WHO PLAY WITHOUT V-SYNC.

Edited by fendergibson