Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Graphics test. SWTOR, RIFT and WoW

DigitalDreamz

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Requoting what I wrote because it needs to be read :p

Maybe people ignored it because what you wrote was utter garbage.

The aesthetics in this game are repetitive and uninspiring, and offer nothing outside of a few main cities, which you can't even fully explore. Shut up, fanboy, your aesthetics are cheap and 2D compared to any other game that allows you to actually access and explore the scenery.

WoW looks better and more importantly than anything else plays better than both Rift and SWTOR by a country mile. I am bewildered that a game that is 7 years old trounces anything released in the past 2 years. How does that happen?

It's not like Blizzard didn't update the graphics in any way with DirectX 11 support, new lighting/shadowing and water effects. Oh wait ya they did. WoW has had a few cosmetic surgery.

Maybe people ignored it because what you wrote was utter garbage.

The aesthetics in this game are repetitive and uninspiring, and offer nothing outside of a few main cities, which you can't even fully explore. Shut up, fanboy, your aesthetics are cheap and 2D compared to any other game that allows you to actually access and explore the scenery.

Opinion vs. Opinion wonder who'll win.

I've played Wow, Aion, Rift and now Swtor... i think swtor looks fine but not great, hoping for improvements with patches or gfx drivers.

The most important thing for me is not crisp graphics but more like how the style and mood is. I think Swtor nailed it pretty well, but sometimes it's feels kinda sterile.

My number one gripe is the combat... it feels cluncky and not smooth. I play a Bounty hunter for my main, but using your abilities does not feel fluent at all. Jumping and running around also looks stiff. It often feels "laggy" and like your not completely in control of you character... i think this is one of the things that Wow mastered spot on in most cases.

I like my sith warrior alt more, but haven't played it enough to make a final judgement.

I only pray that future upgrades can fix this, i don't know if it's only me feeling it, but as much fun as i'm having at the moment i'm not sure i'll stick around if they don't improve the combat.

Rift was so ugly because of its poor art style. Some of the environments were impressive, but it had ugly characters, ugly or bland spells, and ugly mobs.

I remember going back to WOW after quitting Rift and actually praising the visuals because the art style is so much better.

Anyway, I like SWTOR's visuals more than Rift or WOW, but I do hope they enable high-res textures soon.

Rift is a very good game. Too bad people discarded it so quickly.

The problem with RIFT is that it feels unloved. Kind of like what happened to Warcraft in the later years.

SWTOR feels, to me, like someone gave a damn about it. The way Warcraft did when it was new.

RIFT never felt like that to me. It was a fun game, but I just didn't care about any of the people in it - because neither did its developers.

I've played Wow, Aion, Rift and now Swtor... i think swtor looks fine but not great, hoping for improvements with patches or gfx drivers.

The most important thing for me is not crisp graphics but more like how the style and mood is. I think Swtor nailed it pretty well, but sometimes it's feels kinda sterile.

My number one gripe is the combat... it feels cluncky and not smooth. I play a Bounty hunter for my main, but using your abilities does not feel fluent at all. Jumping and running around also looks stiff. It often feels "laggy" and like your not completely in control of you character... i think this is one of the things that Wow mastered spot on in most cases.

I like my sith warrior alt more, but haven't played it enough to make a final judgement.

I only pray that future upgrades can fix this, i don't know if it's only me feeling it, but as much fun as i'm having at the moment i'm not sure i'll stick around if they don't improve the combat.

Yea hopefully they fix the small lag/delay inbetween skills. I'm sure they will noone would want to leave it like that.

RIFT is a great game I agree. I remember talking on a twitch chat and mentioned that RIFT is really cool. All I got was WoWtards going 'lol how many subscribers?!?!" 'Game's dead blah blah blah"

By there Logic Since Justin Beiber sold a lot of records, he's more talented than 99% of musicians.

It was rather annoying.

Justin Bieber is an R&B singer, and for a teenage kid he can sing pretty well, he can also play a few instruments, i'm not a fan of him or his music, but i don't have to be to show people the respect they deserve.

There is a difference between graphics and aesthetics. Sure Rift may have the most detailed graphics, but from 1-50, I did not feel immersed in my character.

I believe a good balance between graphics and aesthetics is needed in any game.

Wows graphics are outdated, but they more than make up for it with their aesthetics. That video shows how expansive Gilnaes is, it showed how gloomy the situation is, with the music matching, yet its using 2004 graphics.

Swtor graphics are similar. Slightly better than wows graphics, but their aesthetics are great. A simple first trip to Corusant is one of their best examples, with the endless buildings off in the distance, the artstyle, etc, made the entire area feel bigger than it actually was.

100% agree rift looked great but i never felt immersed my char even once....wow kinda gave me that feeling in certain zones...but in this game i always feel fully immersed it is what keeps me wanting more...i love it.

Justin Bieber is an R&B singer, and for a teenage kid he can sing pretty well, he can also play a few instruments, i'm not a fan of him or his music, but i don't have to be to show people the respect they deserve.

I can easily retort this but in all honesty I can really care less to have a discussion about Justin Beiber. I brought him up to show the ridiculousness of judging something by shear numbers.

Here are three games I've found videos for with the graphics turned up to the highest possible settings. Remember to watch it in the highest possible settings on your video stream.

Here is a 20 min video of the starter smuggler area. Full textures, graphics and a very high resolution:

Another SWTOR one of a Jedi Knight:

Next up we have RIFT in patch 1.6. Just a small video of a person soloing mobs:

Last up we have WoW. Complete with DirectX 11 and everything on ultra.

Not only are we looking at graphical presentation but animation quality as well. But I'd like everyone to take an unbiased look at all three, note when the games were released (Meaning how long it's been out and what year it's been released) and comment on which they feel is the best (obviously state your opinion) graphically looking and which runs the smoothest.

It's amazing to me SW:TOR put this much time and money into the game, and released it like it is. Such a shame.. such a waste of potential.

Its amazing how the other 2 videos have rain and snow and immense dynamic worlds.

dynamic

dynamic

dynamic

dynamic

dynamic

dynamic

dynamic

one thing a lot of people don't realize for some reason that blows my mind is that people always complain why isn't it a huge "dynamic" world like wow and rift.....uuum because this game takes place on multiple planets not just one which makes it impossible to connect them all without some form of travel, and what better way to do it than with your own spaceship? its awesome. and as far as rain and snow, you must not have seen much of the game because i have seen a good few planets with rain on them.

The problem with RIFT is that it feels unloved. Kind of like what happened to Warcraft in the later years.

SWTOR feels, to me, like someone gave a damn about it. The way Warcraft did when it was new.

RIFT never felt like that to me. It was a fun game, but I just didn't care about any of the people in it - because neither did its developers.

Personally I think Trion did a really good job considering the resources they had to ply into a game. They are nowhere near the size of Blizzard or Bioware so the financial backing wasn't there. That said, I would love to see an MMO brought out by all three working together. :)

Personally I think Trion did a really good job considering the resources they had to ply into a game. They are nowhere near the size of Blizzard or Bioware so the financial backing wasn't there. That said, I would love to see an MMO brought out by all three working together. :)

I couldn't imagine how expensive it is to actually run a big budget MMO. YOu'd have a 24/7 cs crew, patch crew, expansion crew, server costs, power costs...

*Head Spin*

All three look great but RIFT and WoW have a much smoother feel to them. I do notice that SWTOR has much much greater detail in far off textures, such as the sky, moon in the background and buildings way up in the sky.

RIFT and WoW focus mainly on the things in front of you and don't draw graphics that far out.

one thing a lot of people don't realize for some reason that blows my mind is that people always complain why isn't it a huge "dynamic" world like wow and rift.....uuum because this game takes place on multiple planets not just one which makes it impossible to connect them all without some form of travel, and what better way to do it than with your own spaceship? its awesome. and as far as rain and snow, you must not have seen much of the game because i have seen a good few planets with rain on them.

It's much harder to create a seamless huge world than several disconnected zones.

To answer the OP, SWTOR is the clear winner IMHO, followed by WoW, with Rift WAY out back.

Rift may have high poly counts, and fancy effects, but the art style is simply not on par with WoW or SWTOR. By comparison, it feels very "generic". The world does not feel as alive artistically as SWTOR and WoW do, nor are the worlds as awe-inspiring or inviting. I can STILL remember the first time I flew into Stormwind, walked up to the gates of Ironforge, stumbled upon the Emerald Dream portal in Duskwood, and of course the first time I laid eyes on the Dark Portal, and I think 7 years from now I'll still remember the first time I looked up into the skies of Korriban and saw those Star Destroyers in the upper atmosphere. Certainly the first time I walked into the main hall of House Thul, or the first time I walked out in to the desert of Tatooine, and definitely when I first came up the elevator on Hoth, and felt like I was ACTUALLY walking out into blidningly bright arctic wilderness. I swear my eyes actually hurt for a moment, because the way the art was done tricked them into thinking I was actually walking into a bright scnowscape.

I KNOW the art was amazing in all of those cases, because I have snapshots in my mind. The art was so imerssive, and had such great impact, that my brain decided it was important enough to keep a perfect photocopy. I had no moments like that in Rift. I don't care how detailed it is, or how high pixel/poly counts are, it lacks soul.

My first 5 days of playing SWTOR brought me more "Oh wow!" visual moments than 5 weeks of Rift did.

Put simply: WoW and SWTOR have wowed me, and given me mental pictures I'll probably keep forever. Rift did not. Therefore, it is inferior. Since SWTOR and WoW both wow, but SWTOR is generally higher quality and more polished graphically, it gets the nod.

so true.

Peopple just want the same over and over again. Which is why SWTOR will do well, its catering to its audience very well indeed. Same pulls over and over again, same gameplay as wow, same content, same boss fights.....

Personally I like things new, but same old same old appeals to the majority of players, no matter what they claim.

Disagree strongly. Rift felt like far more of a WoW clone than SWTOR does when I played it, and people most definitely do want new. WoW took the MMO market from a tiny niche to extremely mainstream in VERY short order by bringing about massive, sweeping changes and dramatically expanding the genre's audience.

Too bad you need a SUPERCOMPUTER to run SWTOR, when you can run WoW on max settings with a 7 year old integrated graphics laptop..

Something is up with this game, the graphics arent anywhere near top-of-the-line but the game takes a stupid amount of resources to run.

It was cause they offered innovation. People do not like change, yet they do not want to admit it

Actually that was the bad thing about rift, it was exactly like wow as far as game systems and gameplay were concerned. Many of the abilities even had the exact same NAMES as well as functions.

I thought it was a good game, but it's just another solo to max then raidgrind game, can't stand them.

Too bad you need a SUPERCOMPUTER to run SWTOR, when you can run WoW on max settings with a 7 year old integrated graphics laptop..

Something is up with this game, the graphics arent anywhere near top-of-the-line but the game takes a stupid amount of resources to run.

lol a "super computer" in your eyes must be anything with more than 4 gigs of ram.

lol a "super computer" in your eyes must be anything with more than 4 gigs of ram.

You cant run SWOTR with decent FPS in all areas with only 4 gigs of ram.

In fact, you cant even run SWTOR with the minimal requirements.

Integrated Graphics and 2.0 GB Ram is unable to play this game with a decent frame rate.

Whats up with that?

I have FAR beyond the minimal requirements and I still cant get a decent frame rate in Warzones or the fleet, switching from low to max settings changes nothing.

Edited by thestackshow

You cant run SWOTR with decent FPS in all areas with only 4 gigs of ram.

In fact, you cant even run SWTOR with the minimal requirements.

Integrated Graphics and 2.0 GB Ram is unable to play this game with a decent frame rate.

Whats up with that?

I have FAR beyond the minimal requirements and I still cant get a decent frame rate in Warzones or the fleet, switching from low to max settings changes nothing.

Im running this game on a duo core amd 6000 with 6 gigs of ram and a geforce gtx560 and its just fine for me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.