A Question about Mission Discovery Items

Alevia

Do mission discovery items only give you access to the mission once? I had assumed that once it was taught that it would be available again every day or so... but I used one several days ago and since then it's not been available.

If they really aren't re-usable, then 1) I don't see the point and 2) they need to not be called "Discovery" maybe something like "Requisition" instead?

I have sold / paid way more for these missions than they seem to be worth if they are, indeed, single use items.

• Dev Post
They are one time use (from my experience). However, they are worth it b/c they can give a lot of return for investment.

You just have to decide how much you'll pay for the missions. Some pay more others pay less.

They are one-time use by design. We are looking at making this fact more apparent to users in the near future, but as others have noted, they are still rather potent and worth the investment.

Maybe some are permenant and others one use. Perhaps that is the difference between blue and purple missions? I'll have to pay more attention. I know the Test of Intelligence Slicing mission is one use. Edited by jaldaen

Missions are one use only. However, after doing the mission, you can buy/find another of the same mission and do it again.

Example:

Let's say you buy 2 missions of the EXACT same thing. You right click it to unlock it. You cannot right click and unlock any further. You then do the mission. After the mission is over, the mission is locked again and you can use the 2nd mission item to unlock it again.

Imagine the items that give you access to the missions are keys to locks. The key breaks once you unlock the lock. Those locks will lock themselves again after you use a key.

Edited by RpTheHotrod

They are one-time use by design. We are looking at making this fact more apparent to users in the near future, but as others have noted, they are still rather potent and worth the investment.

Is it intended that they are one-time use and also able to fail? I don't mind "risking" the money on sending the crew member out on the mission so much, that comes up on every mission. But since discoveries are consumable and can fail, I feel like it's a double risk and I debate with myself about whether it would be better to sell it and let someone else take the risk.

The problem is not knowing which one's you have used already. Once they are gone they are gone as far as I can tell? So if you see a bargain on the GTN there is no way of knowing if you ran that mission already? Over multiple alts and multiple crew skills it is well nigh impossible to keep track of them.

I've been using the bioanalysis 340 mission (there is only one 340 mission as far as i know).

They return massive amount of mats. Mission costs about 2k and the item is usually 5-8k in GTN. Great thing is also that once you send you companion on that mission you can use another same mission item in your inventory and send another companion to that same missions.

I usually send all 5 companions to do the same bioanalysis 340 mission when i log out and the next day I receive massive amount of mats for crafting :)

Ya even with a 1 time use they can be extremely beneficial. Underworld Trading is the crewskill I mainly use this with and using my servers economy the missions usually sell from 3-15k (I usually only buy up to 10k or so) and the mats you get from them easily sell for 48k. (4x purple grade metal at 10k a piece, and 8x blue grade metal at 1k a piece) Thats not even counting the clothes I get.

The problem is not knowing which one's you have used already. Once they are gone they are gone as far as I can tell? So if you see a bargain on the GTN there is no way of knowing if you ran that mission already? Over multiple alts and multiple crew skills it is well nigh impossible to keep track of them.

No, it goes like this -

The item is a single use consumable

When you consume the item you get the ability to run the mission 1 times, then it goes

End.

Purchase 2 identical items, you have access to the mission twice.

Blue/Purple is about the mats you will receive, especially so for mission skills. EVERY mission discovery is single use.

To the person above, you get an unlocked icon over some other missions, i assume this is related to max light/dark side points? These are repeatable but certainly nothing to do with mission discovery items.

Is there any way to identify what mission is going to be granted?

Are the icons unique?

Once you have discovered (used) the item, is there any way (other than writing down the name) to identify it in your list of missions?

Edited by b-morgan

To be honest, I was surprised to find that they were 1 use, and the rewards didn't *seem* to be particularly special compared to other missions considering the cost/time involved.

That being said, only did 3, one of which I failed, before deciding they weren't really worth it, at least having to spend ~1k to buy the mission itself. Maybe if/when buyers/sellers realize they are 1 shot and the prices come down.

Once you have discovered (used) the item, is there any way (other than writing down the name) to identify it in your list of missions?

It will have an icon of an opened padlock next to it indicating that it was "unlocked" by the mission discovery item.

Thank you Damion. From your tone, I believe you work at Bioware. If so, thank you for giving us something more official.

Dalkore

Is there any way to identify what mission is going to be granted?

Are the icons unique?

Color, Number and icon.

Like Purple, 340, Bioanalysis, vial icon, gives level 6, Under a Red Star every time.

For 10k on the market these are not worth it at all people a cheating people setting the price that high i will not by any more after finding out thay are one time use and i hope that other people will not buy them for over 600 or so cause you have to pay to do the mission still and given the amounts i have goten back from them it is not close to worth the price ov the item