The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I see a lot of 21/2/18 and full pyro builds. Any more tanky builds working?

Hyperius

I don't believe I've seen any vids or real posts on people playing more fully developed shield specs. I'm curious how successful people have been running them and how far up the tree they've gone. I've been hearing that shielding does not mitigate well in a pvp setting with all the internal/force damage etc. If a person wants to be beefy and not feel a liability is the best option really 21/2/18? I've NOT tried it yet myself but had a friend try and he actually didn't have good chemistry with that spec. Thanks!

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GkGbbMrogZbsbMo.1

With the first two tiers of Advance Prototype, your grapple is on a much shorter cd. Focus here is stacking damage reduction talents along with Ion Gas Cylinder to achieve extra beefiness. Your damage will not be as high as other BHs but your vitality will be unquestionable. You'll be most useful providing offensive and defensive support in objectives much like the ST/Pyro but even more so on the defensive side imo. Any Shieldtech will never be a liability to their team.

Edited by Rykke

I don't believe I've seen any vids or real posts on people playing more fully developed shield specs. I'm curious how successful people have been running them and how far up the tree they've gone. I've been hearing that shielding does not mitigate well in a pvp setting with all the internal/force damage etc. If a person wants to be beefy and not feel a liability is the best option really 21/2/18? I've NOT tried it yet myself but had a friend try and he actually didn't have good chemistry with that spec. Thanks!

What do you mean by good chemistry?

I can carry the ball with 1 healer from goal line to goal line without really feel like i'm gonna die with 3 50's beating on me at all times. Now when it get's to 5-7 yea that can be a problem. I mean i shield her and either they beat on her and we heal through it, or they beat on me and heal through it.

It's an amazing spec for survival, fast closing, tanking, and decent DPS. I can actually kill a healer, where in full ST that aint happening.

I even tank HM 4 mans in it. It's probably the best combo spec I've seen in long time, since before WoW removed hybrids, the other would be the DK hybrids for solo'ing back in the day.

Whiles leveling up, which tree do you usually build up first?

Or is the 21/2/18 build not made to level up or pve?

thx a lot in advance!

It's not made for leveling up. The build needs a minimum at level 48 where you get high end talents in both trees. However, after 48 it's a really good leveling build.

Question on that build. Is the 4% shield chance with 2 points that noticeable, versus the speed bonus from jet charge? I've never been anything but a pyro, but I've been in some huttball matches with a ST that had those talents. Seemed really op, being able to jet charge up ledges and speed through the goal line. But again, never been a ST to know how much shield chance benefits, just inquiring.

What do you mean by good chemistry?

I can carry the ball with 1 healer from goal line to goal line without really feel like i'm gonna die with 3 50's beating on me at all times. Now when it get's to 5-7 yea that can be a problem. I mean i shield her and either they beat on her and we heal through it, or they beat on me and heal through it.

It's an amazing spec for survival, fast closing, tanking, and decent DPS. I can actually kill a healer, where in full ST that aint happening.

I even tank HM 4 mans in it. It's probably the best combo spec I've seen in long time, since before WoW removed hybrids, the other would be the DK hybrids for solo'ing back in the day.

Those 50's must be crap then. Letting a healer free cast on you is just dumb, so it should be 2 50s slamming you, and 1 keeping the healer busy. If you were being hit by 3 50s that know what they are doing (which is what matters in PvP), you wouldn't make it from one side to the other, even with a jet charge, unless you were potting. Between cc's, the massive amounts of damage some specs can do, and the fact that you can be grappled/pushed into fire or acid, you shouldn't be making it across the map with competent players on you.

Tanking HM is somewhat about spec, more about knowing what to do and proper healing/party.

Anyway, the spec is fine, but lets not blow things over here acting like it's some god among men sort of thing.

What a total nonsense build.

Why would you spec into pyrotech if you are going to use the terrible damage Ion gas cylinder?

You will be able to charge but do terrible damage. WOOPIEEE

This is a spec by a guy that fails to read tooltips. In order to proc rail shot you need a dot or stun. the best way to put a dot on some one is pyrotech using flame blast, its a 100% chance to proc with no cooldown. It also has a 10 meter range. Your rail shot also refreshes your combustible gas dot.

21 points just to get a charge and only half of the points are useful.

Seriously whats the point of this build? You skip the survivablity talents in the tank tree for the most part and you will do terrible damage because of the bad spec you are.

Edited by Eroex

Why would you spec into pyrotech if you are going to use the terrible damage Ion gas cylinder?

This is a spec by a guy that fails to read tooltips. In order to proc rail shot you need a dot or stun. the best way to put a dot on some one is pyrotech using flame blast, its a 100% chance to proc with no cooldown. It also has a 10 meter range. Your rail shot also refreshes your combustible gas dot.

Seriously whats the point of this build? You skip the survivablity talents in the tank tree for the most part and you will do terrible damage because of the bad spec you are.

Oh dear... you should really take a look at the 21/2/18 thread in this section.

I might have to give it a try. By chemistry I just meant he wasn't feelin it :p

I used to roll with a full Shieldtech build until I tried the 21/2/18 spec. I hated it at first and actually respec'd back to full shields at one point. However, I decided to give it another try and haven't looked back since.

The biggest problem with this spec is that it's not really viable until level 45+. Once you hit 50, definitely give it a try and put it through the paces for a couple days. You won't be disappointed.

Incendiary Missle sets a burn effect for rail shot.

Incendiary Missle sets a burn effect for rail shot.

So using my current gear my Combustion dot crits for almost 1k and the ion crits for 400ish

Also incendiary missile inst refreshed by rail shot and costs 25 heat to apply.

Flame burst hits for more and has a dot that ticks for more, yea incendiary is nice when you are at range but to make this clownish argument makes me think you're, well... a clown.

Flame burst also procs rail shot to be for free.

So it procs rail shot, puts a dot on, and does a good amount of damage. Yea try again.

Rocket punch requires you to be at melee range for you to 100% proc ion, in PVP it isnt always viable, flame burst has a 10 meter range giving you more leeway.

Charge isn't worth giving up all that damage.

Just go deeper into pyrotech or go full on tank spec and be done with it.

Edited by Eroex

Oh dear... you should really take a look at the 21/2/18 thread in this section.

Ok I did, the build is worthless. What a waste of a player in an 8 man team.

Terrible damage, and poor survivablity, all to get jet charge.

What a waste of time build.

its an "i wanna be different" build, this time, being different fails.

So using my current gear my Combustion dot crits for almost 1k and the ion crits for 400ish

Flame burst hits for more and has a dot that ticks for more, yea incendiary is nice when you are at range but to make this clownish argument makes me think you're, well... a clown.

So it procs rail shot, puts a dot on, and does a good amount of damage. Yea try again.

Rocket punch requires you to be at melee range for you to 100% proc ion, in PVP it isnt always viable, flame burst has a 10 meter range giving you more leeway.

All of what damage? Besides, I've already argued the point that the build cuts on damage. It's mean to have some DPS with more durability and maneuverability. However, with the recent testing that has gone on shielding, it proves that shields are almost completely useless. Anyway, IM does more dot damage then Combustion, if you're talking from start to finish. However, in terms of each tick, Combustion does more, and is more likely to be refreshed. The point of the build is to refresh RP fast, and vent your heat fast (get a 50% chance everytime you shield to vent heat and refresh RP). RP does more damage then FB, and with the Ion cell damage + IM dot damage, it does more then combustion each tick.

This thread was never about top DPS, so quit bringing it up. You were trying to say that the build was hard to get tick damage on the opponent without being close, and you were just wrong. There was never argument for it being the best DPS class, because people know it isn't.

All of what damage? Besides, I've already argued the point that the build cuts on damage. It's mean to have some DPS with more durability and maneuverability. However, with the recent testing that has gone on shielding, it proves that shields are almost completely useless. Anyway, IM does more dot damage then Combustion, if you're talking from start to finish. However, in terms of each tick, Combustion does more, and is more likely to be refreshed. The point of the build is to refresh RP fast, and vent your heat fast (get a 50% chance everytime you shield to vent heat and refresh RP). RP does more damage then FB, and with the Ion cell damage + IM dot damage, it does more then combustion each tick.

This thread was never about top DPS, so quit bringing it up. You were trying to say that the build was hard to get tick damage on the opponent without being close, and you were just wrong. There was never argument for it being the best DPS class, because people know it isn't.

If the thread isnt about PVP damage dealing and isnt about being a ball carrier or point defender, then what is the point?

It sucks at DPS, it sucks at survivablity.

I don't see a point to the build other than to be a nuisance that gets killed quickly and doesn't help the team.

You also centered a build around being hit to do maximum damage, i got news for you bud, PVP in this game is rarely a 1v1 fight, jumping into a fight from the outside will have you do terrible damage, and you don't have the staying power of a tank speced guy to survive being focus fired.

Even a full tank spec is barely above on survivability. You get what? 10% shield chance? That turns out to be equal to about 5% dr with 50% absorption (even less if you're below that). For a full survivability build, I'll give you the two points in Power Armor, but it's even out if you pick Infrared Sensors as ST/Pyro. So you lose 5% dr for a massive boost in damage as a tank hybrid. You do good damage (not comparable to other pure dps with equal gears of course).

Edited by Trungalung

Even a full tank spec is barely above on survivability. You get what? 10% shield chance? That turns out to be equal to about 5% dr with 50% absorption (even less if you're below that). For a full survivability build, I'll give you the two points in Power Armor, but it's even out if you pick Infrared Sensors as ST/Pyro. So you lose 5% dr for a massive boost in damage as a tank hybrid. You do good damage (not comparable to other pure dps with equal gears of course).

You also don't gain that damage over a pure tank build.

Seems like a wash AT BEST.

You also don't gain that damage over a pure tank build.

Seems like a wash AT BEST.

Oh if you ever try it, you'll notice the increase in damage. You can go whack a mob with a shield tech build and a st/pyro build. If you said there's no increase in damage or slightly increase, you're lying.

I was worried about one thing as a new PT, for a 21/2/18 build what would be better to get first PPA or jet charge ?

thank you ^^

Neither. Don't level as a Carolina Parakeet.

Start off as either full Pyro or ST. Carolina Parakeet needs all of the talents to really mature and doesn't start to shine until 48.

Full Pyro is good DPS all the way up, so is Adv Proto. ST outshines them both from about 25-40, but then falls behind on damage. Still tough as nails, just slow. So level pretty much however you want. Then at the top end you can switch over.