Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Ok, if they'are talking about this issue right now, why they don't just calm everyone down with official responce? Or they just ashamed of it:)?

If I were them, I wouldn't comment until I knew what I could do. Do you want them to come and say "DUN WORRY GUYZ, WE IZ GONNA FIXZZZ IT!" when they have no idea if they can or not? That will just make everyone hate them if they can't fix it. I don't know for sure what is happening, they may already know what's going down, but it's at least possible they're still considering how to address this issue.

So, I'll repeat, patience is the best course of action in all of this. If you want to keep discussing it go ahead, but there's no reason to talk about quitting when this issue will probably at least be talked about in a couple days.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're probably talking about what do about this issue as we speak.

Posted by someone from another forum

If you look in RemoteRenderer.dll they have a shader that forces Player and NPC textures (for Dynamic Models when they're generated) outside of conversations to 50% of the original size causing them to look muddy.

They could easily add a toggle to disable that for people with more powerful systems.

If this is really the fault, it would take only a few hours, at most, to code the UI to have an additional toggle to remove this "feature".

Lets not make this a non-issue. As far as I can tell so far nobody over there gives a damn.

I'm not asking to fix it by tomorrow, but at least acknowledge it like the Ability Delay thingy

rebel rebel rebel

Nobody is suggesting you stop talking about it, I really wish people would pay attention to the entire post instead of the part they want to respond to -.-. I'm saying if you're considering quitting if this issue isn't talked about then you should simply wait instead of quitting.

Ok so I have applied all of the best INI fixes to this game which I agree, make the entire game and environments look awesome, but they do NOTHING to improve player textures.

Here is another demonstration WITH all INI fixes applied of the holocom trick, and this is with the dancer's outfit. For anyone who still feels like this is just lighting....I really question your intelligence. Yes the lighting changes, but the detail increase is obvious.

BEFORE http://imageshack.us/f/15/screenshot2012010712202.jpg/

AFTER http://imageshack.us/f/705/screenshot2012010712220.jpg/

It's actually difference in Lightning.

Take a good look at the bracers and the neclace between the two images! The actually detail doesn't change, just the color due to different lightning. :(

The bra's on the breasts do look like they suddenly get a lot more detail, but unfortunately that is not true, because they are shadowcast in the first picture and fully "lighted" in the second picture showing more color and so popping the true details more!

The "TRUE" High Resulution textures are dissabled and there is no way to enable it (unlike overriding AA settings) !

As it's not just the character textures, we are also talking about the environmental textures that are missing the the High Res ones!

Edited by Jeronas

Posted by someone from another forum

If this is really the fault, it would take only a few hours, at most, to code the UI to have an additional toggle to remove this "feature".

"If" is a very important word there.

Don't you think that "IF" it were that simply they'd fix it already? Game companies want their customers to be happy (as long as it doesn't cost too much money) so they have no reason not to fix a small issue like that instantly. While that may be the case, I seriously, seriously doubt it is. But that's just me.

It's actually difference in Lightning.

Take a good look at the bracers and the neclace between the two images! The actually detail doesn't change, just the color due to different lightning. :(

The bra's on the breasts do look like they suddenly get a lot more detail, but unfortunately that is not true, because they are shadowcast in the first picture and fully "lighted" in the second picture showing more color and so popping the true details more!

The "TRUE" High Resulution textures are dissabled and there is no way to enable it (unlike overriding AA settings) !

As it's not just the character textures, we are also talking about the environmental textures that are missing the the High Res ones!

Get this man some specs PRONTO :cool:

Edited by Venares

Don't know what you guys mean, I can't see any difference in quality between the current highest settings in the game (1) and some weird Holo graphic bug I get sometimes (2)

1) http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/8092/62792959.jpg

2) http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/7082/35802945.jpg

:rolleyes::D

Compare medium to high please, oh wait you cant because nothing changes... (game doesnt even reload lol)

BTW if you dont understand, dont change the top high/medium where it says general preference, change the Texture Quality setting only, leave all other settings.

If you change the top section you're just going to change anti and rendering....

Edited by vekien

"If" is a very important word there.

Don't you think that "IF" it were that simply they'd fix it already? Game companies want their customers to be happy (as long as it doesn't cost too much money) so they have no reason not to fix a small issue like that instantly. While that may be the case, I seriously, seriously doubt it is. But that's just me.

It would be an easy fix, so there should be a reason as to why they aren't doing it. Something far more problematic than lower quality textures. Like a memory leak being caused by them, client instability because of the further increase in ram being required. They're developers actually thinking that this somehow increases the strain of a computer that has 8GB or more of ram and 1GB of video ram.

As others have said, this has been an issue since beta. The ptr had changes that were oddly reminiscent of beta as well, when they removed AA, shadow options and the match color.

Compare medium to high please, oh wait you cant because nothing changes... (game doesnt even reload lol)

BTW if you dont understand, dont change the top high/medium where it says general preference, change the Texture Quality setting only, leave all other settings.

If you change the top section you're just going to change anti and rendering....

You've missed the sarcasm train. Please exit the area.

Nobody is suggesting you stop talking about it, I really wish people would pay attention to the entire post instead of the part they want to respond to -.-. I'm saying if you're considering quitting if this issue isn't talked about then you should simply wait instead of quitting.

Agreed this is not a "game-breaking" issue yet. I think pretty quickly people will get tired of the poor graphics tho, me included. So much for playing this game for a few years /sigh will have to wait for the next best MMO i guess... too bad it wont be a star wars one

Think cashflow BW/EA/LA

Don't know what you guys mean, I can't see any difference in quality between the current highest settings in the game (1) and some weird Holo graphic bug I get sometimes (2)

1) http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/8092/62792959.jpg

2) http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/7082/35802945.jpg

:rolleyes::D

Look at that blurred mess on the things hovering over your shoulders in the first pic. Now look at your shoulders in the second picture. Look at the mess of the belt that runs across your chest with the holo one. Hell, even the helmet looks sharper.

Of course, you might be trolling:eek:

e- Its really apparent in your pics how there is no depth in the textures on the first pic. See how that thing over your shoulders kinda bleed into itself. It makes it harder to notice the little square detail thing because both are black. See the second picture how the detail kinda pops up, making it look like its above the actual piece, thus differentiating it from the rest of the piece.

Edited by Caonimah

Even when in high res the textures look like *** so it hardly matters. How about a more photo realistic texture pack, or one with duller less wow-ish color scheme.

This is more of an aesthetics rather than a graphics question, and I'm quite ok with the style