Dr. Lokin > Kaliyo

Albytaps

So I ust got Lokin yesterday and got to try him out on an equal level class quest today. He came in with hardly any gear and the gear he has is pretty bad. I gave him a belt (which he had none) and blue pistol (which he had none) and also made him a Vibroknife (which he had none) as well as a helmet/mask (which he had no head gear.) The only other upgrade I made was give him hand me down orange glove several levels below me which were an upgrade to his green ones (I'm level 38.) Keep in mind all these upgrades are at least 5 levels or lower than my level.

Man, we never came close to dying even fighting 2 groups at once and also an elite. With Kaliyo she would usually die towards the end of fights like that with better gear than Dr. Lokin but I usually end the fight alive anyway. With Lokin it seems maybe the actual fight takes a little longer but after the fight I'm good to go to the next group. With Kaliyo there is always downtime healing/reviving after each fight.

Looks like if I gear Lokin up to max he will be my companion for the rest of my levels... man what a great addition! I love Kaliyo but Lokin seems uber.

I just posted in the sniper thread about how bad azz he is. The slightly slower fights are made up for with no down time between fights. I was going cross eyed with summoning the probe healer after every pull. The one time I wouldn't heal would be the pull that something went wrong and I died. I would kick myself for not healing fully even though it was just a small amount.

The game has sped up for me with Lokin and I feel I'm clearing zones much faster and it also is good practice for PVP with using CC abilities to keep melee mobs off of you. In all my 41 levels I never really had a concern as my companion was always in the thick of it.

Edited by Twolow

Yeah, when I first got him he was kind of crappy, but now at higher levels I have him geared up really well and he can heal me through almost anything as long as he doesn't have mobs attacking him as well. There are still situations where a tank comes in handy, though.

But and it also makes sense to send Kaliyo on your Underworld Trading missions as she has +3 to critical success. I started using the Joiner as soon as his buggy self emerged from the hive mind. And now i wait to get the good doctor. Thanks for the tip!

i havent been able to find this anywhere.. but at about what level will i get him.. im only like level 18 now.

Thanks

Its not a point of what level and more about what planet as you could be a vast array of levels before you venture to the planet he is on which is Taris.

I just got the Dr. Lokin, but I dont know if I should switch to him right away, or wait to I get 10.000 points with the women companion i got???

Another reason is that i'm going full darkside, so I dont know how Lokin will react to my "dark" answers" in quest dialog??

My question is:

Why does he have the unique ability to change forms yet does abysmal dps in his "dps" form? It isn't even worth switching him into it. Even some close to the single target damage of a tank pet would be acceptable but it isn't even close to that.

Kaliyo is terrible IMO, ranged tank with all short range/melee mitigation abilites, ***? I was on beta for quite some time and I can say with confidence that Kaliyo is the worst tanking companion, even with exceptional gear she eats it constantly. Was really surprised by how well I was doing with the doc in good gear.

I used Kaliyo for a long time, but was never much of a fan. She goes down so quick, also dies really fast. Can't say I've used Lokin much either, may give him a try. Since I've gotten Ensign Temple however I've noticed things dying so much faster that I've geared up and using her exclusively now.

As a heal spec'd operative, I find Loken only useful while he's morphed. :)

I really wish they would've kept Kaliyo's grapple in - she was a lot more useful when mobs were dragged to her vs her almost never jumping to mobs to draw aggro.

It seems Everyone > Kaliyo.

Seriously, since I've got Vector I've been glad to ditch that vulgar baldy into the cargo hold of my ship. Vec and I just down everything quickly before anything touches us, even of Elites we just nuke em before any one of us dies. Can't wait to pick up Lokin and Temple too.

Why do we have to be saddled with Kaliyo the gimp for so long! Man it's tough to think of how long it's going to take (lvl 26 sniper) with my current fight-rest-fight-rez-rest-fight (all Kaliyo) slog.

Lvl 38 you say? Ouch!.

Edited by Die_Scream

But Vector > doc.

I bought him full L40 default pvp gear, pimped out his staff and GTN'd him some artifact focus, and he's now sitting at 11k hp and ~27% something crit. He practically never dies, and does better dmg than Kaliyo or doc.

I really don't need heals because mobs die so fast, elites included. There's no downtime because you get stim boost after every pack, and your merc heals to full when you mount.

Edited by wixxkruppel

Why do we have to be saddled with Kaliyo the gimp for so long! Man it's tough to think of how long it's going to take (lvl 26 sniper) with my current fight-rest-fight-rez-rest-fight (all Kaliyo) slog.

Lvl 38 you say? Ouch!.

Yes I know how you feel. The moment I realized that I had to stick with Kaliyo for that long I rerolled Smuggler. I want to have fun companions, don't feel like listening to her emo attitude for what.... 30-35 levels? They really should've evened the companions out a bit more for IA or atleast made Kaliyo less of a headache to keep up.

Yes I know how you feel. The moment I realized that I had to stick with Kaliyo for that long I rerolled Smuggler. I want to have fun companions, don't feel like listening to her emo attitude for what.... 30-35 levels? They really should've evened the companions out a bit more for IA or atleast made Kaliyo less of a headache to keep up.

Smuggler you say. Snipers are the only er, snipers though correct? Smuggler is Dual pistol?

• 1 month later...

clearly none of you have any other classes...

Dr Lokin is the worst companion healer in the game...

he cannot dps/heal at the same time and doesnt even come with any gear...

my inquistor talos drelik companion can heal...stop and shoot..then heal

without any interaction

So I ust got Lokin yesterday and got to try him out on an equal level class quest today. He came in with hardly any gear and the gear he has is pretty bad. I gave him a belt (which he had none) and blue pistol (which he had none) and also made him a Vibroknife (which he had none) as well as a helmet/mask (which he had no head gear.) The only other upgrade I made was give him hand me down orange glove several levels below me which were an upgrade to his green ones (I'm level 38.) Keep in mind all these upgrades are at least 5 levels or lower than my level.

Man, we never came close to dying even fighting 2 groups at once and also an elite. With Kaliyo she would usually die towards the end of fights like that with better gear than Dr. Lokin but I usually end the fight alive anyway. With Lokin it seems maybe the actual fight takes a little longer but after the fight I'm good to go to the next group. With Kaliyo there is always downtime healing/reviving after each fight.

Looks like if I gear Lokin up to max he will be my companion for the rest of my levels... man what a great addition! I love Kaliyo but Lokin seems uber.

I am curious as to if you used him in Rakghoul mode or healing mode?