The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Sith Emperor vs Darth Sidious

Lord_Butcher

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you probably know better than me then. All I know is that anime and Samurai movies have blown both them and the Katana hideously out of proportion. I appreciate them for what they are, but I try not to have a romanticized view of anything regarding history (I'm hugely into the history of the classical era and up to and around the Renascence). And that Spartan didn't really do what a real Spartan would have done in the same situation either. The only way this debate could ever be settled realistically is if two people trained in the respective arts actually fought, but that won't happen unless they bring back blood sports.

I can at least tell you what a Shimazu clan Samurai would do in such a situation, force him to show you his basic techniques, view his weapons and more than not, test his speed/reflex/strength, meaning wait on the defensive, as soon as you see what the shield is capable of, force him into vulnerable positions or even better, disarm him.

You do not repeatedly attack the shield and leave yourself wide open to attack for no sensible reason, he seemed like some foolish Yari Ashigaru not a Samurai.

Yeh that 'Spartan' was on the offensive the whole time, he never once considered or observed his new opponent.

It was the most ridiculous depiction I had yet seen in Deadliest Warrior, barely ahead of the German Panzer SS vs Vietnam version.

I agree. The Samurai weren't trained to fight a phalanx, either. The Spartans were an impenetrable unit due to use of the phalanx. They were trained to fight from the time they could walk.

That said, the fight should never have been 1v1 for the Samurai and Spartan. I never said they get it right EVERY time, and they do their best work with the more modern simulations. If they had a better research department for ancient cultures/weapons, that show would be the best thing on TV.

Now, the only modern simulation I didn't agree with was the NK specops vs. Rangers. Too many Rangers died for that to have been anywhere close to real. :p

On the flip side, they did an outstanding job with the IDF Commandos vs. SEALs.

Anyhow, I could see them working with LucasArts to bring some good duels/battles to life in the Star Wars universe.

NK = North Korea?

If so, that's a joke. Frankly, North Korea and to some extent China's (They're catching up) ballistics and military technology is so far behind the majority of the Western world that its almost funny how bad it is.

I can at least tell you what a Shimazu clan Samurai would do in such a situation, force him to show you his basic techniques, view his weapons and more than not, test his speed/reflex/strength, meaning wait on the defensive, as soon as you see what the shield is capable of, force him into vulnerable positions or even better, disarm him.

You do not repeatedly attack the shield and leave yourself wide open to attack for no sensible reason, he seemed like some foolish Yari Ashigaru not a Samurai.

Yeh that 'Spartan' was on the offensive the whole time, he never once considered or observed his new opponent.

It was the most ridiculous depiction I had yet seen in Deadliest Warrior, barely ahead of the German Panzer SS vs Vietnam version.

Like I said, the whole show is pseudo science at best, horribly wrong at worst. The demonstrations of the weapon capabilities are usually spot on (completely disregarding the individual physical capabilities of what that specific group of warriors would be capable of down to a man). There's just so many variables involved in such a comparison that it will never be decided without a return to the gladiatorial arenas.

lol, yes. Unfortunately I witnessed that horrendous episode as well.

Can a Jedi mind wipe? If so, I'll need to find one so I can erase it from my memory.

Apparently the German Panzer SS didn't use tanks, lmfao.

They did that to Darth Revan, so I imagine yes.

NK = North Korea?

If so, that's a joke. Frankly, North Korea and to some extent China's (They're catching up) ballistics and military technology is so far behind the majority of the Western world that its almost funny how bad it is.

Which is why I didn't agree with it. lol

Where did you see it was the German Pazer SS? All I saw was German SS.

They specifically showed the German Panzer SS, not the SS themselves and if you are right, that would be one ridiculous comparison, A group of governmental enforcers on the frontline of war? makes all the sense in the world.

They specifically showed the German Panzer SS, not the SS themselves and if you are right, that would be one ridiculous comparison, A group of governmental enforcers on the frontline of war? makes all the sense in the world.

*Shrugs* Eh, things sometimes never make sense. I did thoroughly enjoy Jessie James gang vs Al Capone, though I found it amusing cause Capone had no chance anyway.

*Shrugs* Eh, things sometimes never make sense. I did thoroughly enjoy Jessie James gang vs Al Capone, though I found it amusing cause Capone had no chance anyway.

Al Capone was a business man first anything else second. Sigh. Damn you Hollywood.

Al Capone was a business man first anything else second. Sigh. Damn you Hollywood.

I know, plus his guys were TERRIBLE SHOTS. I'm surprised that any of the James gang died. They should have taken out Capone and his men within the first 10 seconds with their accuracy.

Were they all using Tommy Guns? trololol.

Actually, yes. And the Yakuza were all using WWII era Japanese weapons.

I think the Mob may have had one dude with an M1 Garand (which, in my opinion, is one of the deadliest mother $$$$ing rifles ever made).

Edited by Aximand

Were they all using Tommy Guns? trololol.

Ya, and whats worse is they sprayed and prayed lol while James and his gang used Colt .45s and Winchester rifles, the bowie knife was also BA.

M1 Garand (which, in my opinion, is one of the deadliest mother *********** rifles ever made)[/Quote]

Nah thats an actual fact! :p

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Nah ended after season 3.

Well, if they ever revive it, and get it right more than once a month, then that would be a good thing. The premise was cool, and they DID get more right than a lot of people think.

Also, they would need some real researchers to get the lowdown on the ancient civilizations' militaries, especially.

They also used Sais.

They also used Sais incorrectly*

Forgot that part. God that show was good for some lulz.

Didn't the Yaks bring swords to a gun fight for the most part in that one?

Edited by Aximand

They also used Sais incorrectly*

Forgot that part. God that show was good for some lulz.

I just thought it was weird the fact that they used them, against the mafia guys who had small switchblade knives lol. Its like they were compensating for something.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi