The game isn't the problem

lueckjathom

I will agree that Rift had a pretty good engine from the get-go. I think they traded off good content to make it happen though. A company only has so many resources to invest into a game before release. Trion put a lot of those resources into the game engine and UI and developing a unique and innovative class system. Unfortunately, the content suffered as a result and they had an incredibly small and lackluster game world.

I can agree with this statement, and you know what? I think the community at large that is filing the majority of complaints against the game, would rather have had that instead. It's already been established that end-game content is hardly there to begin with. While you might not agree with my statement, its what I would have preferred.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly think your being objective. The original OP was about how we are spoiled from WoW's engine which had 7 years to work on. Rift's engine from release had a better UI, combat log, macros, and such forth. I think it is you whom are nonobjective sir.

The success of the LAUNCH is determined by the sales figures. TORs launch is far and away the largest of any MMO right out of the gate. Why are we even arguing about that? It's a matter of public record. Whether Rift is a better game at launch is a different story.

Part of what you need to "raid"

You obviously have no skill because you have to use threat meter, macros, dbm etc.

l2p the game and stop having to rely on addons to be good.

As I've said numerous times in this thread, you don't rely on addons to be good.

You need threat meter to see how much threat you and others have. Right now you just guess, randomly use threat reducing abilities if you have any and hope it works out.

You need damagemeters to evalute how people are doing, if you're wiping because on enrage, you could use the damage meter to see how people are doing, if two people have half the dps of one of the top guys, there's a big chance those two are the reason you're wiping.

Same goes for combat log.

If you don't know why one would need macros, read up some and see what macros do. They don't play for you, fyi.

The problem is that we have all been completely spoiled by another game engine that has had 7 years and over 100 million dollars every month in subscriptions at its peak to become finely tuned and polished.

bla bla bla

polish that the game engine has. That takes time and money.

What polish are you reffering to? You mean the horrible mesh tiling? Or how bout the terribad rendering distance on foliage?

How bout character detail, and texture quality being the same between medium, and high?

Or the pop in?

Polish??

Spoiled? What?

The game engine is dated. I do not feel spoiled.

Is your PC a piece of crap, and you're used to low settings? or...what is it??

There is nothing polished or modern about the game engine.

The game play is a treat. My favourite so far, in the MMORPG genre.

But the game engine spoliing me, whaaaa?lol.....no.

Wait, do you even know what the words " game engine" means?

I'm guessing not.

Edited by Your_dominus

So OP is arguing that because the game does not support macro's which in many ways just put the game on brainless easy mode, once you have them programed, the game will fail. So actually having to play a game makes it a bad game due to failing. Also things like damage meters and aggrigate aggro etc, are all targeted at the very small population who play the game as pure min/maxers, and their fun resides almost completely in saying how hard they can hit things.

It's not about a learn to play issue.

Your guild has the first ops on farm says nothing since it's super easy content.

So if the content is super easy....are macros and add-ons needed? The answer is no. This game, as the developers have been saying all along, is not focused around progression raiding because that's only 5% of the player base.

The success of the LAUNCH is determined by the sales figures. TORs launch is far and away the largest of any MMO right out of the gate. Why are we even arguing about that? It's a matter of public record. Whether Rift is a better game at launch is a different story.

I don't know why we are arguing about that. I told you why I responded to the OP. I could careless with TOR had more sales, I care whether it functions.

No, the developers are the problem.

No target of target

No threat system

No threat meter

No damage meter

No macros

No combat logs

We are not spoiled if we would have these, these are a few of the ingredients to creating a successful MMO.

These things among others are a necessity.

Without key things being in a MMO, launched in 2011 with 6+ years of work put into it, why would people fund it? Makes no sense.

Of all the things that I hear complained about (I mean seriously complained about, not cofee warmth or timers) I think you just listed the ones I could care the least about.

I would be more interested in end game content, guild banks, more open worlds, a more open space game even if the mini game stays, not to mention the bug fixing, almost anything before what you have listed.

You need combat logs.

Nightmare EV. That's why.

The first boss randomly (because you don't know *** is causing it - lolol no combat logs) 1 shots people with 25-30k hits. No timers, no combat logs.

It's a complete joke. How are you supposed to progress when you can't "improve"? :/

Only the *********** awful players don't want any of the necessities that make endgame evolve, because they know they'll be left behind. They are, for all it's worth, terri-bads - and I don't use that term as often as I should considering they're plaguing this game with their desire to be mediocre and be carried.

Terri-bads.

Edited by Cranberries

As I've said numerous times in this thread, you don't rely on addons to be good.

You need threat meter to see how much threat you and others have. Right now you just guess, randomly use threat reducing abilities if you have any and hope it works out.

You need damagemeters to evalute how people are doing, if you're wiping because on enrage, you could use the damage meter to see how people are doing, if two people have half the dps of one of the top guys, there's a big chance those two are the reason you're wiping.

Same goes for combat log.

If you don't know why one would need macros, read up some and see what macros do. They don't play for you, fyi.

Marocs dont play for you? Are you kidding me?

You can loop abilities in macros making it so you press '1' and thats it. Please, I think I know.

Addons are not needed. Makes the game stale, boring and not fun. I only suggest they add a damage meter to tell your own damage, no one else's.

You didnt answer my question. You say OPS are easy, have you tried them? Normal? Hardmode? Nigthmere?

Thought so, btw just because someone cleared it in a day doesnt mean its easy.

Valor 33 is actually good considering it takes 7k to get a rank up when you only get 1k in matches.

Of all the things that I hear complained about (I mean seriously complained about, not cofee warmth or timers) I think you just listed the ones I could care the least about.

I would be more interested in end game content, guild banks, more open worlds, a more open space game even if the mini game stays, not to mention the bug fixing, almost anything before what you have listed.

That's why they should allow add ons so the modders will take care of it.

More time for Bioware to focus on what you like.

Besides after looking at Biowares UI, I am pretty sure the modding community will do a way better job.

So OP is arguing that because the game does not support macro's which in many ways just put the game on brainless easy mode, once you have them programed, the game will fail. So actually having to play a game makes it a bad game due to failing. Also things like damage meters and aggrigate aggro etc, are all targeted at the very small population who play the game as pure min/maxers, and their fun resides almost completely in saying how hard they can hit things.

Let me ask a question. You are DPS. You are wacking away at some boss. You have a threat meter. It shows you are getting close to overtaking tank on threat table. What happens next?

a) You keep doing what you are doing, pull aggro and die

b) the addon takes controls and adjusts your gameplay so that you don't pull aggro

c) You consciously process that information and adjust your DPS or use a threat wipe/reduction

I'll give you a hint. It isn't B. Addons don't play the game for you. You must still have situational awareness, think, and act.

So if the content is super easy....are macros and add-ons needed? The answer is no. This game, as the developers have been saying all along, is not focused around progression raiding because that's only 5% of the player base.

Yes it is, for obvious reasons.

And if this game isnt focusing on end game, it WILL die.

Yes it is, for obvious reasons.

And if this game isnt focusing on end game, it WILL die.

This.

MMOs cannot, and will never, survive purely off of levelling content. It's just not possible.

Edited by Noviru
edited out "delusional idiots"

Oh, Hi.

I understand my OP was kind of long and tiresome, but if you actually read it, it wasn't an argument against this game at all, it was an argument against all the people saying it will fail because of the lack of features. I was saying the state of this game isn't much worse than any other MMO launch and we should be patient and let them work in the fixes and features that will no doubt come with time and money.

But I guess reading comprehension is difficult these days.

No, the developers are the problem.

No target of target

No threat system

No threat meter

No damage meter

No macros

No combat logs

We are not spoiled if we would have these, these are a few of the ingredients to creating a successful MMO.

These things among others are a necessity.

Without key things being in a MMO, launched in 2011 with 6+ years of work put into it, why would people fund it? Makes no sense.

wow didnt release with none of that except for macros and up until i quit i still never used macros. this game as a target of target, it has a focus target. you just have to turn it on.

damage and threat meters are a luxury not a necessity. any good player wont need them for anything other than pointing out he is good. sure it makes things easy, but most people that got sick of wow kept saying how easymode the game was, yet they want every game to be just as easy.

Let me ask a question. You are DPS. You are wacking away at some boss. You have a threat meter. It shows you are getting close to overtaking tank on threat table. What happens next?

a) You keep doing what you are doing, pull aggro and die

b) the addon takes controls and adjusts your gameplay so that you don't pull aggro

c) You consciously process that information and adjust your DPS or use a threat wipe/reduction

I'll give you a hint. It isn't B. Addons don't play the game for you. You must still have situational awareness, think, and act.

Oh. I know this.

When Meter A tells me to press Macro 2, I press Macros 2 until Meter B tells me to press Macro 1 again.

Is that right? Am I ready for endgame content now? Because I FEEL PUMPED AND READY TO ROCK!

Oh, Hi.

I understand my OP was kind of long and tiresome, but if you actually read it, it wasn't an argument against this game at all, it was an argument against all the people saying it will fail because of the lack of features. I was saying the state of this game isn't much worse than any other MMO launch and we should be patient and let them work in the fixes and features that will no doubt come with time and money.

But I guess reading comprehension is difficult these days.

They've had both. Too much of both, too.

Bioware have half a month to implement most of the 'basic' MMO features before most of the endgame community just quits - which will be the downfall of the game, whether you want to admit it or not.