Crit Rating/Power/Surge

SirCryptz

Hello Everyone!

Well I have a question. What would you say is better? For getting up to 50 ATM. Crit Rating or Power and later on Surge? Also, what does Power/Surge do per say? I know that Str should be my 1st and overall choice but I do not fully understand Power. Thank-you

everything in balance... unlike WoW there is no "best" stat all of them are good you just got to find the balance that works for you.

Where's the math to back this up? The only way to have all of the stats be just as good as another is for all the stats to do the exact same thing. In other words if you only had 1 stat and no choice on what to increase. As long as crit/surge/power increase different things there will ALWAYS be one stat that will increase your damage more than another. Will this change as your gear changes? Most definitely and the only way to find out which one is the most effective for your current gear is to do the math.

Well I have a question. What would you say is better? For getting up to 50 ATM.

As long as crit/surge/power increase different things there will ALWAYS be one stat that will increase your damage more than another. Will this change as your gear changes? Most definitely and the only way to find out which one is the most effective for your current gear is to do the math.

I don't think math is necessary when just getting to 50. Gear and mods will be swapped out frequently, and right now it's just about choosing what he wants the most to fit his current playstyle.

I just love to see crits. Hence Crit Rating. I'll do the min/maxing later :)

Edited by SoH-Floyd

Hello Everyone!

Well I have a question. What would you say is better? For getting up to 50 ATM. Crit Rating or Power and later on Surge? Also, what does Power/Surge do per say? I know that Str should be my 1st and overall choice but I do not fully understand Power. Thank-you

If you look at your character tab.

Power increases your "bonus damage" value. Basically all your attacks that land are boosted by this value. (including critical hits)

Crit chance should be self explainitory but it is your percentage chance for an attack or heal to critical.

Surge is your crit value, that is the amount of bonus damage/heal applied to a critical hit.

That said, I level'd with mostly crit+surge on my bh, however power is the main bonus stat on all the pvp gear. go figure.

Crafted mods from schematics in raids will come very slowly. On top of that, extracting the mods from raid gear will be EXTREMELY expensive. The gear - both PvE and PvP - all has a good balance of the stats. I think that will be more than enough.

Your 'best' stat, though, will depend on your spec and your current gear. Without parsing it's hard to tell which one will do more.

Edited by Kibaken

I don't think math is necessary when just getting to 50. Gear and mods will be swapped out frequently, and right now it's just about choosing what he wants the most to fit his current playstyle.

I just love to see crits. Hence Crit Rating. I'll do the min/maxing later :)

Is it necessary? No. Does it help? Yes. Is there a best stat? Yes. To say there isn't a best stat at any time is simply wrong.

Choosing to gear for surge instead of crit may give you a 5% DPS boost, which would translate into faster kills, less dmg taken, and ultimately less downtime. It could also mean the difference between a successful fight and a death, especially since so many fights involve multiple mobs. Killing a mob 1 hit faster can make all the difference in that encounter.

That having been said, min-maxing for leveling is not something you should obsess over. You're better off spending the time playing the game than trying to find out how to do 5% more damage. Min-maxing can wait until you're trying to beat a raid or dungeon boss. That doesn't mean that there is no best stat, it just means you shouldn't worry about it now. And in that respect, it's exactly like WoW. Level fast and worry about min-maxing for difficult encounters.

Edited by elicious

• 2 weeks later...

So far i have no idea what to go for.

Currently im going for max power but it just doesnt feel "right" playing anh spec with max power...something smells off.

So im tempted to try and go for max critical+surge instead and see how that goes.

Other than that i might try accuracy though i not sure if it more important than surge/critical?

Anh spec so interest to hear thoughts

Great topic!

Unfortunately also a topic we won't have any hard results on until we can parse damage.

One thing I wanted to point out is that while surge increases your crit damage, power increases all damage. Therefore an increase in power will also increase your crit damage (to a lesser extent i'm sure, but no idea how much.)

Which stats you want to focus on are really dependent on your spec and playstyle.

A rage Marauder probably doesnt need a high accuracy rating, but likely needs more crit rating to get the most out of their smashes and crushes. Meanwhile a carnage or anni may do better dps focusing on accuracy rating.

I agree with the others that these secondary stats are far less important when level grinding, but end-game min-maxing they will be very important.

Until your late 40's, I'd say focus on stacking strength. If your carnage or anni, I'd also suggest stack accuracy, as a missed attack is a huge drop in dps (missed attacks also never crit:))

As for the other secondary, personally, I lean more towards stacking power, as it applies to all attacks (even crit), but I reserve the option to completely change my mind when some hard numbers finally come out:)

For the guy who asked about the math behind this, you dont need math, you just need logic:

Crit chance helps you crit, which makes use of the surge, the surge % multiplie the damage of the bonus damage you do which is helped by your Str and Power.

Just from that little bit of info its pretty clear that the key is balance.

Personally I try to stay at 100% acc (110% on special attacks), 30% Crit unbuffed, 85% surge, and the rest in Str/power.

when you then put power relics/adrenals ontop of these %'s you get some truely amazing dps..

Like someone else said, its all about balance. theres no stats that is simply better.

Power is just a plus, consider it as bonus str without extra crit.

Personal opinion on secondary stats and specs (note I have only played annihilation):

Annihilation - you get a lot of crit from juyo form stacks (also spec into rage for +6% force crit which does affect bleeds) and bleeds ignore armor. Personally I prefer to stack crit and surge for annihilation.

Carnage - you get a free crit + 10% dmg on force scream. You also get windows of 100% armor pen. Personally I would prefer stacking power and surge and why, to get the most out of those small windows you get. If ataru form procs can crit I could see crit being favored somewhat, but imo I'd still go with power (can't pass up constant free dmg increase right?)

Rage - very similar to carnage but perks for smash, free crit and increased dmg. Personally I would prefer stacking power and surge. I would say power would take precedence over crit chance in rage tree because you get high crit chance on vicious slash and guaranteed crit on smash so going with crit seems moot to me.

If you think about it. You just need to look at the talents to see what is most likely going to be good for you.

Example, annihilation.

When in Juyo form, increased chance to crit with bleeds by 15% (fully stacked). Bleed crits restore HP by 2%. From what i've seen bleeds dont scale well to power.

So, we can safely say that we want our bleeds to crit as much as is possible for the heals and greater DPS, so we take crit. Next, we go for surge because that scales very well and incresaes the damage our bleeds do. Considering annihilate does great damage but its purpose is to reset rupture as much as anything.

Carnage (not completely O-fey with the spec but from what i tried):

Force scream (Fus ro da) is our main weapon, everything else is geared pretty much to launch this and destroy people. It comes with a 100% crit chance. So chances are, crit won't really help us here, we would see increases on our other abilities but as fus is where its at, thats what we need to buff. Power would generally help us here ande fus would get more powerful, Surge to increase the damage from fus would optimise this build.

Rage:

Havent tried it, havent looked into it too much, not entirely sure what its all about apart from using smash when charged to deal damage... I am not going to comment because i literally havent tried it or read up on it enough to form an opinion.

So far i have no idea what to go for.

Currently im going for max power but it just doesnt feel "right" playing anh spec with max power...something smells off.

So im tempted to try and go for max critical+surge instead and see how that goes.

Other than that i might try accuracy though i not sure if it more important than surge/critical?

Anh spec so interest to hear thoughts

In general, its almost always best to get to a certain accuracy (100% for specials at least) before worrying about crit, especially in this game.

A crit is worth 50% more damage before calculating any bonus surge. A miss is a 100% LOSS of damage. So unless your crit hits for over 100% bonus, accuracy will be better until the point that hit is capped. This also doesn't take into effect things that make hit even more important, like rage generation, etc.

In general, its almost always best to get to a certain accuracy (100% for specials at least) before worrying about crit, especially in this game.

A crit is worth 50% more damage before calculating any bonus surge. A miss is a 100% LOSS of damage. So unless your crit hits for over 100% bonus, accuracy will be better until the point that hit is capped. This also doesn't take into effect things that make hit even more important, like rage generation, etc.

thanks for that information.

I wondering though Critical is split into two sections, critcal multiplyier and the other one(forgot what it is....) does Critical multi just mean the damage your critical does is increased or does it increase the chance of getting a Critical??

I say this as it expressed as a % so thought it was ie 50% multiplier = 50% more chance of critical.

But i see the sense behind accuracy, so thanks again for pointing it out, il try and put as much into Acc as i can now(though i believe in game its useally 2rd on list after power/critcal:)

All three specs have talents that significantly increase your crit chance with your highest damage abilities: DoTs for Anni; Force Scream for Carnage; Smash for Rage. Therefore, crit rating becomes a lot less valuable for each spec. For the same reason, Surge rating becomes VERY attractive for all three specs.

So, without doing a careful analysis, I'd say it goes: Surge > Power > Crit for Marauders.

People say balance, but I don't think you know what you mean when you say it. Balancing stats is more than just keeping everything the same. Figuring out where the balance is is where the min/max comes in. If you are casually playing and never plan on competitive PvP or raiding then your "round-about" balance is fine as long as you don't wear a bunch of gear specifically not for you.

But if hes just leveling gear doesn't matter too much, but if I had the choice I would say power for its consistency, and whenever I get a crit its a bonus.

In terms of the exotic stats (the ones being discussed), I would put accuracy rating as absolute TOP priority. Reason being? According to the tooltip OVERcapping it will actually DEBUFF your target. They will parry, dodge, ect, ect, less. Add to that that overcapping will already make sure everything will always at least hit, and I think you've got a strong argument for stacing Acc above all else. Most of the Acc gear i've come across has crit with it.

Surge and power > crit.

Carnage get 100% crit force scream

Rage get 100% crit smash

Anni get 100% DoT crit with berserk and + crit for DoT talent.

you don't neec crit as a marauder, saying all three stat are egual just prove you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Surge and power > crit.

Carnage get 100% crit force scream

Rage get 100% crit smash

Anni get 100% DoT crit with berserk and + crit for DoT talent.

you don't neec crit as a marauder, saying all three stat are egual just prove you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

sorry but if scream is your main dps as a carnage you are doing something wrong.

your suggestion effectivly turns you into a one trick pony, with absolutely no value outside of that of looking good when you use your forced crit abilities.

I will not speak for Anni or Rage as I don't like to use them, but for carnage balanced stats is absolutely the key for doing the most amount of dps possible.

Edited by Munx

sorry but if scream is your main dps as a carnage you are doing something wrong.

your suggestion effectivly turns you into a one trick pony, with absolutely no value outside of that of looking good when you use your forced crit abilities.

I will not speak for Anni or Rage as I don't like to use them, but for carnage balanced stats is absolutely the key for doing the most amount of dps possible.

Crit will not give you enough critical chance for you to notice it without losing a huge chunk of damage from power and surge. Make everything hit and crit higher instead of trying to crit more small numbers

Edited by mastersloup