Why are BW lying in the patch notes?

Abruptum

why does everyone feel the need to call others a fanboy or hater to justify an argument? it just makes yourself look silly and immature.

It's not really justifying an argument, it's telling the truth. None of these bugs are fixed but the Bioware/SWTOR apologists will make some hilarious excuse

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're referring to the text in the .ini file. When I was trying, and failing, to get SWTOR to run even tolerably on the Babbage engine my wife calls her laptop, I noticed that what I set the graphics to, and what I saw in the .ini file, were inconsistent.

This isn't complex. The word "textures" appears nowhere in the sentence you quoted; why did you assume that's what it referred to?

You do realise that the .ini files change according to your in-game settings, right? And you do realise that the texture issue is what everyone has been asking to be patched since it was first broken, right? I don't believe you do.

Fact is they didn't fix anything that really matters. They need to get on top of the major issues and for 8hr downtime this patch is pretty lame for a new MMO. Usually you have a page or two of fixes not a new small minor repairs.

Except it was only down for 3.5 hours, not 8. :rolleyes: You people who think they aren't working on the bigger bugs make me laugh, just goes to show you have no clue about how annoying it can be to detect and eliminate bugs from software with millions of lines of code, spread over hundreds if not thousands of files.

It's not speeder emotes, it's TAXI emotes!

As for textures, they didn't promise that, they said: Graphics preferences in settings files are now consistent with actual settings in use.

It does not mean they added the High Res textures, it means...any number of things, if you want to spin it.

That is what I have gleaned from the apologist brigade this morning, and I pass it on to you.

Do you really expect people who are whining as much as the op is to take the time and actually read what the patch notes say? I mean they've been out for a week now and obviously he wasn't quick enough to even look them up back then. ;)

You have your elementary school terminology wrong here. Lying is classified as the intentional will to not tell the truth. They're not "lying" they're having issues with it.

They said the issues were fixed, but the issues were not fixed. How is this not outright lying?

No, you misunderstood. The patch note clearly refers to the problem where the option for High Textures does nothing and they stay at Medium quality. It was broken before the patch, and it still is broken.

There were other problems with those setting that the patch could have been referring to. For example, when first starting the game, the interface for some people would indicate you were running at low settings, even though you weren't. It's quite possible that's what was fixed, though I haven't played with it to test it.

I'm not sure the patch notes "clearly" say what you think they're saying.

Edited by imtrick

PS:

Is anyone here a professional programmer?

Have you ever found yourself saying -- to a boss, a co-worker, or a client, in response to a bug you claim you fixed, "Well, it works on my machine!"

If you answered no, you're either lying about that, or lying about being a professional programmer.

In THEORY, the devs have an environment identical to the client environment to test patches on. In reality, any code that is even slightly client-dependent... such as if you can SEE an emote, or what happens when you write to a file... can't be tested to exhaustion because client environments vary so much. The odds are good the devs all have a single client system configuration, or a very small number of common configurations.

(I spent, oh, a WEEK tracking down a bug that was causing client computers to *crash* when they installed our software. Except, only some of them. Some of the time. It would even corrupt the OS to the point where a new install was needed. I finally tracked it down to a different *FONT FILE* that the installer app we used automatically, without being told to do so, would install on systems if there was an older install of our software, but NOT if there was NO install of the software... and only on systems running one version of the OS. That application was about 1/1000th the complexity of SWTOR, so I'm going to be a bit patient about how long it takes to fix bugs... and how easy it is to think a bug ix fixed when it isn't.)

Do you really expect people who are whining as much as the op is to take the time and actually read what the patch notes say? I mean they've been out for a week now and obviously he wasn't quick enough to even look them up back then. ;)

Lol, have you read them? The graphics line is a bit hard to prove, but the "issue" regarding emotes on vehicles is pretty easy: you just have to log into the game and try /wave while riding your mount. You'll see it doesn't work. And the patch notes say "vehicle", not "taxi".

There were other problems with those setting that the patch could have been referring to. For example, when first starting the game, the interface for some people would indicate you were running at low settings, even though you weren't. It's quite possible that's what was fixed, though I haven't played with it to test it.

Even if you're correct and they weren't actually addressing a reasonably big issue people want fixed, using such vague patch notes is highly misleading.

They're referring to the text in the .ini file. When I was trying, and failing, to get SWTOR to run even tolerably on the Babbage engine my wife calls her laptop, I noticed that what I set the graphics to, and what I saw in the .ini file, were inconsistent.

This isn't complex. The word "textures" appears nowhere in the sentence you quoted; why did you assume that's what it referred to?

Plain and simple POOR management and QA on that one.

Do you know how long the Texture bug has been in game?

MONTHS. They've known about it for months and months. Since July at least.

How in the hell is this not fixed?

It looks absolutely AWFUL in some cases.

Look at this crap.

WHat is this? 2003? Those textures are worse then EQ1 textures.

And they've known about it for almost a year.

Edited by Parali

PS:

Is anyone here a professional programmer?

Have you ever found yourself saying -- to a boss, a co-worker, or a client, in response to a bug you claim you fixed, "Well, it works on my machine!"

If you answered no, you're either lying about that, or lying about being a professional programmer.

Apples and oranges. We're not talking about one person saying it works fine for them...this is universal. Is there anyone in this thread whose textures settings or vehicle emotes have actually been fixed?

why does everyone feel the need to call others a fanboy or hater to justify an argument? it just makes yourself look silly and immature.

I've already seen numerous people defend the quality and frequency of Bioware's patches by citing the fact that they promptly fixed the broken nodes. This is a stark denial of reality that reeks of mindless fanboyism.

Edited by DannyInternets

You do realise that the .ini files change according to your in-game settings, right? And you do realise that the texture issue is what everyone has been asking to be patched since it was first broken, right? I don't believe you do.

Yes, and the .ini file wasn't changing in accordance with said settings, as far as I could tell. IOW, I'd set something, then quit, then look at the .ini, and it did not reflect the changes correctly.

And, yes, everyone's asking for the textures to be patched. That doesn't mean that's what the patch note was claiming, which is the point.

Just because you're asking for something, doesn't mean you're going to get it. If the patch said "High res textures now display properly", that would be a different issue.

Too bad I wasn't talking about hi-res textures either, I was talking about the High texture settings built into the game which still aren't functioning.

Which is exactly what I'm referring to, which the patch notes didn't list as fixed. This isn't rocket science, you're just misinterpreting what they're saying so you can continue to be miserable.

Yes, hi-res textures are broken. Yes, they've said they're working on it. No, this patch doesn't fix it.

Which is exactly what I'm referring to, which the patch notes didn't list as fixed. This isn't rocket science, you're just misinterpreting what they're saying so you can continue to be miserable.

Yes, hi-res textures are broken. Yes, they've said they're working on it. No, this patch doesn't fix it.

So what did the patch notes refer to, then? Because the settings files still don't update according to the in-game settings.

Just like last week when they told us the harvesting nodes were fixed. I'm sure the fanboys will lap it up though.

like the 10 nodes I couldn't harvest last night? ot the other 10 that spawned inside structures that I couldn't even reach?

Edited by Knyghtprowler