The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Forced to change my character name?

Spankyjnco

For reference/info...

Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

1. You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

2. You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

3. You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

4. You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

5. You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

6. You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

7. You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

8. You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

9. You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

10. You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

11. You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

12. You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

13. You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

If you violate any part of the above Naming Policy you will either be assigned a new name, or given the option of changing the name. In addition to this, your account could incur a penalty up to and including account closure.

http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/roc

Edited by Xerda

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And not one of those is pertaining to his name.

Yeah I'm presuming it's been reported on the basis it's loosely a sexual term at a very big stretch, ie spanking the monkey, spanking arses etc.

I really have no idea. It's a shame they can't be more specific when you are made to change your name to say 'you have been found to have broken rule # of the naming policy'.

Spanky is against the general naming rules not because it's vulgar but because it's not rp-istic. BW is enforcing the naming rules on all servers, rp or not. The GMs don't scan for Darth Cockula or Lolpwner but if someone reports their names, the GMs do care about it.

If this was on an RP server, fine. But for a regular server, it clearly states on the server selection screen "There will be no special rules enforcement for naming or chat on this server." More likely, it was for vulgarity. BW, because they have so much extra time on their hands not fixing bugs and whatnot, decided to err on the side of caution and make the guy change his name.

I still think it is lame. We have quests and cut scenes that allow you to torture people, kill helpless patients in a hospital and have sex with NPCs. Instead of being open to the possibility it could be a Little Rascals reference, they assume it is a vulgar reference. Lame. And so is whoever reported him.

Yeah I'm presuming it's been reported on the basis it's loosely a sexual term at a very big stretch, ie spanking the monkey, spanking arses etc.

I really have no idea. It's a shame they can't be more specific when you are made to change your name to say 'you have been found to have broken rule # of the naming policy'.

Dear XXXXXX,

We are contacting you regarding your account XXXXXXX for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

We wish to notify you that you are in violation of our Terms of Service.

From an investigation of your Account we can see that your character has carried out the following violation:

Charactername: Spanky

Server: Naddist Rebels

Violation description: Terms of Service\Naming\Minor - Sexual, Obscene or Vulgar

If you continue to violate our Terms of Service it may result in a suspension or ultimately a permanent account closure. We encourage you to familiarise yourself with our Terms of Service which can be found here

http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/

Thank you for your understanding.

If you feel you have received this warning in error, please contact us at swtoraccountdisputes@bioware.com

If this was on an RP server, fine. But for a regular server, it clearly states on the server selection screen "There will be no special rules enforcement for naming or chat on this server." More likely, it was for vulgarity. BW, because they have so much extra time on their hands not fixing bugs and whatnot, decided to err on the side of caution and make the guy change his name.

Just FYI, the role-play server don't have name enforcement rules either. And even if they did, Spanky is a perfectly acceptable nickname. It's a lot better than many of the names I do see on the RP servers.

Spanky is against the general naming rules not because it's vulgar but because it's not rp-istic. BW is enforcing the naming rules on all servers, rp or not. The GMs don't scan for Darth Cockula or Lolpwner but if someone reports their names, the GMs do care about it.

HAhaha

Trolling.

1. You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

Open to opinion. Personally, my cousin's name is Franklin but we have always called him Spanky because he is short and squat like the Lil Rascals character.

2. You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

Apparently, it offends someone

3. You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Spanky is the name of an EA, BioWare or LucasArts employee???

5. You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

Doubt Lil Rascals is considered pop culture. I would even go so far as to bet less than half the players even know about the show.

10. You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

Never done any illegal drugs so there might be a drug out there known as Spanky?

11. You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

I could see Spankmeister needing changed, but Spanky?

I'm TOTALLY becoming a Report Nazi and legitimately trolling in game on non-creative names tonight. starting with myself.

true story brah.

/facepalm

Edited by Bob-ombaFett

They find it offense? Better change my legacy name too then. And my account name, oh and my EA account name. Oh and my battlefield 2 and 3 account name also. Oh and Mass Effect forums username. Geez, better change my PSN and Xbox 360 name since I play EA sports games through that as well...

Yeah.. it's not offensive.

What I don't get is that you have to change your name for having Spanky, but a guy on my server named Ess'my'dee still has the name, after a bunch of people reporting it.

I'm guessing this is an issue of us getting the CS from India, who don't know english well enough to see anything wrong with ess'my'dee (Suck'My'D*ck), but spanking somebody probably goes against the Hindu Way.