The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Forced to change my character name?

Spankyjnco

Really? What is wrong with Spanky. You know how many Spanky, Spaanky, Spankie, Spankyy named characters there are in EVERY MMO... I have had the name spanky for over 15 years, and just recently Bioware tells me I have to change it? How dumb is this. I am already having horrible time w/ ANY type of CS I request, and now this? I received an Email stating something along the line of it being a Vulgar name... I have seen a million times worse.

UPDATE

Quick update and Im putting this on front page too, they agreed w/ my dispute and also read this post, so thanks all that posted valuable information. I now have my name back

Edited by Spankyjnco

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spanky is against the general naming rules not because it's vulgar but because it's not rp-istic. BW is enforcing the naming rules on all servers, rp or not. The GMs don't scan for Darth Cockula or Lolpwner but if someone reports their names, the GMs do care about it.

That may be so, but the email I got said that it was because the name WAS vulgar.

And there are so many non RP (im not on a rp server anyway) names it is unreal.

EvilJimbo

Supermann

ToeJam

Harley

The list goes on... and on...

Edited by Spankyjnco

Spanky is against the general naming rules not because it's vulgar but because it's not rp-istic. BW is enforcing the naming rules on all servers, rp or not. The GMs don't scan for Darth Cockula or Lolpwner but if someone reports their names, the GMs do care about it.

Honestly, I'm on an RP server and I see absolutely nothing wrong with this name

On my server we have "Womensrights" and "Derptastic" and crap like this that hasn't been changed. Hell, Womensrights is probably nearly 50 now. It's not like he was some newly created level 5.

If they're going to crack down on names, then they better damn well do it properly. Asking someone to change 'Spanky' but not "Womensrights" on a RP server is ridiculous

Edited by Esaru

That may be so, but the email I got said that it was because the name WAS vulgar.

And there are so many non RP (im not on a f***ing rp server anyway) names it is unreal.

EvilJimbo

Supermann

ToeJam

Harley

The list goes on... and on...

You know the IP of Little Rascals is still ownd by Metro Godwin Mayer. Dont you? or MGM for you youngsters. Sheesh. There saving themselves a Lawsuit and your complaining. Good luck.

/facepalm :confused:

You know the IP of Little Rascals is still ownd by Metro Godwin Mayer. Dont you? or MGM for you youngsters. Sheesh. There saving themselves a Lawsuit and your complaining. Good luck.

/facepalm :confused:

Really? Really? Spanky is NOT copy protected at all.. So I take it Dennis a no no name too? Or Lois, clark jimmy and I could keep going....

Edited by BitterPill

Really? What is wrong with Spanky. You know how many Spanky, Spaanky, Spankie, Spankyy named characters there are in EVERY MMO... I have had the name spanky for over 15 years, and just recently Bioware tells me I have to change it? How dumb is this. I am already having horrible time w/ ANY type of CS I request, and now this? I received an Email stating something along the line of it being a Vulgar name... I have seen a million times worse.

You should thank them. ;)

That name is not vulgar, and in my opinion there isn't a thing wrong with it. Unfortunately, it seems whoever handled your case has their mind in the gutter. I'm sorry, but let's be honest.

Names get changed when they're reported. GMs dont troll the servers looking for names, when I worked for WAR that was expressly against the rules. Actions like that needed to be initiated by players.

That's fine but even after getting reported why would they have him change his name. It's not offensive, it is actually a nickname people would and have used for other people.

I don't get it, it's not offensive and it's actually something someone might be called. Strange.

I don't find it offensive either, and im sure the vast majority wouldn't. But, someone *could* find it offensive or vulgar, and hence the change.

I'll have to agree with the OP on this one, I've seen some very anti immersion names on my RP server and Spanky isn't one of them. Heck the smuggler AC trainer is known as "Lefty"...

Cracking down on the wrong guy imo. :( Go after those with Cheezburger in their names, thanks.

Edited by Eshaye

That's funny since right on the server select screen it says "No special naming rules for this server." or something to that effect when you hover over a PvE server.

And I'm sorry, but if they wanted to control naming to "rp" friendly only, then all the servers should have been RP tagged and random name generators implemented.

All this really boils down to is some ******e reported the name for absolutely no reason other than to be a dick and EAware hired GM's that are idiots and just do whatever the report says instead of having to engage their brains for more than 5 seconds.

Edited by Zorvan

I do not understand, I really don't. I have had that nickname for years, and not because of anything sexual, I just had a shirt that said that name as it was a restaurant somewhere up north. I even have custom football jerseys with the name on it, a license plate tag with it and more. Over 30+ online games w/ that name on it, and not once been told it was offensive or I couldn't use it...

This really just makes me hate CS even more.

Although the naming policy is quite clear it does not say you have to have an rp name. It just says clearly what you cant' have. Having said that I'm not remotely sure why spanky was deemed unsuitable unless someone tried to make out it was somehow rude/sexual.

I'll have to agree with the OP on this one, I've seen some very anti immersion names on my RP server and Spanky isn't one of them. Heck the smuggler AC trainer is known as "Lefty"...

Cracking down on the wrong guy imo. :( Go after those with Cheezburger in their names, thanks.

There's also an NPC named Toybox in, IIRC, Balmorra.

Really, Bioware's moderation policy has always been "if someone reports it we infract it." They don't bother to care if it's actually a just infraction or not.

I don't find it offensive either, and im sure the vast majority wouldn't. But, someone *could* find it offensive or vulgar, and hence the change.

Every single one of my character names *could* offend someone. People need to lighten up a bit. Certain things go over the line, sure, but Spanky? Really?

I do not understand, I really don't. I have had that nickname for years, and not because of anything sexual, I just had a shirt that said that name as it was a restaurant somewhere up north. I even have custom football jerseys with the name on it, a license plate tag with it and more. Over 30+ online games w/ that name on it, and not once been told it was offensive or I couldn't use it...

This really just makes me hate CS even more.

Maybe Spanky means something rude in Hindu, since EAware outsources all of their "customer service" to India.

You had to change your name because someone reported it.