Is rolling GREED just as bad as rolling NEED if you don't need the gear?

Majestic_Jazz

You are misunderstanding what I am getting at.

I am not complaining because I selected Pass and did not get an item. I only said that I pass if I don't WANT or NEED the item.

If my character, MY CHARACTER.....not my companions but if my character needs the item, I'll click need. My gripe is when I click need for an item such as a chest piece armor that is VERY heavy in Enduarance which is what my Vanguard needs, I would lose that item to a Jedi Sage who clearly does not need the item! I rolled need and she rolled greed and won.....

She didn't roll greed, she rolled need. A need roll of 1 will beat out a greed roll of 100 every time. Need > Greed, regardless of roll.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only roll need if my current character that I'm playing benefits from it, if not it's all greed.

...Aside some runs that I'm pimping folks up, as in lower level flashs. I just pass, naturally.

It's sad that this is still even an issue.

Have common courtesy and decency, we are all part of the gaming community. Ninjaing will do anothing but separate you from the folks that get to the "this is why we actually can have nice things" part.

Edited by Beansoup

I need when I need it.... I'm a trooper/Commando/Healer spec so 100% of the time so far I have been the only trooper in my Flashpoint group... So like 75% of the items I need or can equip, no one else in the group can so I usually get them.

The same can be said for my companions... Though even if I know for a fact not a single person in the flashpoint needs it for their toon, and like 75% couldn't use it for companion either. I still ask if it's okay if I roll need for companion, I have never been told no.

Personally I usually pass on stuff, and ask before needing if I see an item that would be useful for me. I don't care that much about gear (even though I do like getting loot) so I'd rather not bother too much and risk drama. However if I do want an item I know from beforehand drops in the instance, I will inform my teammates beforehand and ask from then if it's OK with them if I need it. Edited by archifikoss

No, need for companions carries a lot more weight than just vendoring the item. But naturally never need for a companion over a main toon. If I find an item that I need for a companion I will wait and see if anyone needs for their main, and if not, those who need it for companions can need, and finally everyone else can greed.

As I said, we need a 'need for companion' button.

Also, need should bind an item to you.

Good idea. Need and bind on pickup (prevent ninjas from needing, though they can still vendor it), need for companion and BoP, greed, and pass. I like it. And pass should be a button, not just closing the window.

I need on everything, because frankly I have just as much right to the loot as the trooper who is going to wear it.

You aren't going to get very many invites. You sir, are a loot whore, and your kind isn't welcome here.

NEED - Your currently played character.

NEED with permission - Companions or alts on BoE gear (doesnt make you a "scrub" as someone suggested.... It actually makes you the complete opposite. You are getting better gear, and being considerate to the people you are playing with by asking permission to roll)

GREED - anytime, anyplace, if someone needed it and didn't roll need, thats thier fault.

But why does Pass need to be a button.... the X does the same thing, people will eventually know, and for the most part, you should never pass anyway, even if you win a roll and don't have room it will go to the next highest roller.

Edited by Midnight_Malice

But shouldn't people have a bit more respect for the people they group with?

So they want to roll greed on an item to sell it at a vendor for probably 2K, that is fine, but at some point, where does the respect come into play? I could have rolled greed on many items to sell, but out of courtesy to my group, I click pass and allow it to go to someone who actually deserves it and will make better use of it for their character.

I dont see how rolling greed on item that everyone else is rolling greed is disrespectful. If a player rolls need and everyone else rolls greed that player gets the item. Doesnt matter if a greed player roll 99 and a need player rolls a 1. The need stomps the greed every time. If every player rolls greed Im not gonna roll a pass. I roll pass when someone rolls need because they are going to get the item anyway.

So they want to roll greed on an item to sell it at a vendor for probably 2K, that is fine, but at some point, where does the respect come into play? I could have rolled greed on many items to sell, but out of courtesy to my group, I click pass and allow it to go to someone who actually deserves it and will make better use of it for their character.

If they would make better use of it for their character they would need (and if it's for their companion they would ask if anyone else needs and if not, then roll need).

Greed is specifically there so that an item nobody needs can go somewhere instead of just being passed on (and left on the corpse).

If I can't use it, or I don't need it, I will pass. I'm very strict about this. I will never roll need for my companion either. Unless I am with close friends, and we've talked about it before entering (e.g. doing a companion-gear-run with buddies)

I basically never roll greed at all.

The way I see it, either YOU need the gear or don't. I am not talking about needing it for your companion or to sell on GTN, but needing to put on your character. The way I play, if it goes on my companion, I roll need, if it doesn't, I just roll pass.

That is the funny thing though. I am level 43 and out of all the heroics/flashpoints I ran, I think I only played with one person who actually passed on gear. Everyone else tends to roll greed if they don't need the gear and in many times, actually win.

Is there any point in the game where you are blocked from winning gear that doesn't pertain to your character?

Wow

your logic is stupid

This is my logic and i dont see lack of respect here

pass if you dont care of even selling it

greed if you want to sell it

need if you want to use it

If people are greeding, they aren't using it for their character. They're greeding to sell.

If they want gear for their character, they will need.

Greed is vendoring it for the credits. There is nothing wrong with this if no one needs it that means someone should get the chance to sell it to the vendor.

/agreed

"Greed" is there so that you can get the (often significant) cash value as part of your "reward" for the drop.

It's not everybody else's problem that you don't roll greed on stuff.

I roll need if I need something to improve my play experience.

I roll greed if I am going to vendor it for credits.

I only ever pass if I know for a fact someone alreaddy rolled need before I rolled or if it is not worth any credits.

The 3 choices are very well named. Greed implies that the motive is (greed). It will be sold for credits. I am tempted to think the OP is a troll, I can't believe he does not get this. Some things have a gray area, as in ok, some people do not get it.

Need...

Greed..

Pass..

10 year olds understand this system, more than enough of them play WoW and the system has been successful for the most part.

Edited by Aisar

I have lost items in which I clicked need to those who clicked greed. Mind you these are items that my character needed and the other didn't. Like I lost out on Hammer Station orange Trooper Helmet [i'm a Trooper Vanguard] to a Smuggler who rolled greed. When I asked him why, he said that he needs it for his companion Corso Riggs.

Again, the item was clearly meant for my character and I lost out on it even though I clicked need and he clicked greed.

This is a bug, then. Need outweighs greed. If ANYBODY rolls Need and everybody else rolls Greed, then the Need person automatically wins. That is how the system is set up.

I roll Need if I Need it.

I roll Greed if my companion could use it.

I pass else.

But OP ... you are a whiny *&^%$. The system was put in place for a reason.

I roll need for my character if the item is an upgrade. Otherwise greed if I need credits, but mostly pass. I would never need for a companion. That just does not seem right to me.

I run group plan for the enjoyment of group play and figure that the gear will come as I play the game and so don't get passionate about the rolls.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.