Is rolling GREED just as bad as rolling NEED if you don't need the gear?

Majestic_Jazz

The way I see it, either YOU need the gear or don't. I am not talking about needing it for your companion or to sell on GTN, but needing to put on your character. The way I play, if it goes on my companion, I roll need, if it doesn't, I just roll pass.

That is the funny thing though. I am level 43 and out of all the heroics/flashpoints I ran, I think I only played with one person who actually passed on gear. Everyone else tends to roll greed if they don't need the gear and in many times, actually win.

Is there any point in the game where you are blocked from winning gear that doesn't pertain to your character?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Need is Need

Greed is vendoring it for the credits. There is nothing wrong with this if no one needs it that means someone should get the chance to sell it to the vendor. I fail to see how this is an issue.

But shouldn't people have a bit more respect for the people they group with?

So they want to roll greed on an item to sell it at a vendor for probably 2K, that is fine, but at some point, where does the respect come into play? I could have rolled greed on many items to sell, but out of courtesy to my group, I click pass and allow it to go to someone who actually deserves it and will make better use of it for their character.

I tend to Need on gear that I either actually need to upgrade my character, or really want because my companion uses it, or I really just want it for looks/RP-value etc.

I greed on stuff that I might sell, or care less about.

I pass on most other things.

The system is there, and that's what I use. However, often I will ask beforehand if the group has specific loot rules, or if someone is looking for a specific item. If a blue/orange FP item drops and a player in my group doesn't have it, then I Pass. Just feels like the polite thing to do.

But I have had situations with PUGs, with no pre-agreed loot rules, when a player (already decked out in FP gear) goes totally batpoodoo crazy because I Needed on a green item for a companion.

Dungeon loot does crazy things to people.

So they want to roll greed on an item to sell it at a vendor for probably 2K, that is fine, but at some point, where does the respect come into play? I could have rolled greed on many items to sell, but out of courtesy to my group, I click pass and allow it to go to someone who actually deserves it and will make better use of it for their character.

But if they needed it they should have rolled need...

I'm sorry, but if you Passed and they Greeded, they're just going to vend it.

Pass is only if you're in a group with friends/guildies and you really really don't need credits.

If they actually need it they should roll need. Rolling greed is saying "I don't need this item and will sell or vendor it". Rolling need is "I NEED this item and will wear it for my character or companion". There is nothing disrespectful about rolling greed. It in no way steals the item from someone who actually needs it unless they don't roll need and you win. Even then you can still potentially give them the item unless it was bound on pickup.

Need is a higher priority than greed, so the person with the highest need roll will win the item, regardless of you rolling greed or passing.

I fail to see this logic because in many heroics/flashpoints, I have been left out of gear for my Vanguard such as Assault Rifles/Trooper Helmets because a Smuggler wanted that rifle and helmet for their companion Corso Riggs.

If somebody needs it for their character they'll click on "need," don't ya think?

I respect that you are trying to be fair and polite, far too little of that in any MMO.

However, need is for those who deserve it or will make better use of it. In other words, never feel remorse for selecting greed. So far, after at least a dozen FPs, I've rolled need exactly twice.

How do you pass? The last time I had an option for loot, all I could choose was two buttons, need or greed. I didn't see anyway to "pass."

I usually always roll Greed, unless it is Blue or better and then only if I Need it will I select Need, otherwise, as I said, I choose Greed usually - as I have 8 toons, one for each major craft and two gatherers.

Edited by Zebular

I appreciate you letting me greed the item whilst you pass so I can have the credits. :D

But if someone needs the item, that roll will beat any who greed... Your argument is moot ;)

EDIT: The real issue we have is when people roll need on an item when they don't actually need it :D

Edited by MasterZionosis

I only roll greed if I want it for my companion, if its an actual item needed for my class then i roll need. Otherwise I just pass on the items. Its not fair to roll need if its for your companion when theres another person in your group who actually needs it for themself.

You are about to open the debate of "You shouldn't roll need if its for your companions unless you've okayed it with the group."

I know a lot of people who would be upset if you needed a roll for your companion and took gear from someone who actually needed it for their player character.

If they actually need it they should roll need. Rolling greed is saying "I don't need this item and will sell or vendor it". Rolling need is "I NEED this item and will wear it for my character or companion".

+1

I'm pretty sure that is the consensus.

i roll greed on everything that i dont need. if someone else needs it then they win over me. if not everyone roll greed and someone will get it for vendor trash or selling on the gtn or something.

if you dont want to greed then pass, has nothing to do with respect, lack of respect would be needing on something you cant use taking it away from someone who can.

before i ever roll on something for a companion i always ask the group first if anyone needs that or if i can roll on it for a companion.

How do you pass? The last time I had an option for loot, all I could choose was two buttons, need or greed. I didn't see anyway to "pass."

You pass by clicking the little X on the top righthand corner of the box.

Personally, there should be a button that says PASS on it right with the Need/Greed buttons.

I usually always roll Greed, unless it is Blue or better and then only if I Need it will I select Need, otherwise, as I said, I choose Greed usually - as I have 8 toons, one for each major craft and two gatherers.

There isn't a pass option, but if you hit the X to close the window it passes.

But I have had situations with PUGs, with no pre-agreed loot rules, when a player (already decked out in FP gear) goes totally batpoodoo crazy because I Needed on a green item for a companion.

If someone in the group needs an item and you need for a companion, then he has every right to be pissed. Ninjas aren't suffered lightly, nor should they. If none needs, then of course its fine to need for a companion.

To be fair, you seem to be a very sensible sort (I don't mean to flame you in any way), and it's always better to have rules clear from the beginning, but this 'need for companion over main' thing is something I would never tolerate in a run that I was in. It's common etiquette really.

This has been mentioned before, but there should be a 'need for companions' button that falls between need and greed.

As for the OP. Greed is there for a reason. There is never a time where it's wrong to greed, and its never selfish. There are several times when it's wrong to need.

You are about to open the debate of "You shouldn't roll need if its for your companions unless you've okayed it with the group."

I know a lot of people who would be upset if you needed a roll for your companion and took gear from someone who actually needed it for their player character.

The way I see it, our companions are an extension of our very characters. With that in mind, I shake my head any anyone who would take offense to me wanting to outfit my character.

The way I see it, either YOU need the gear or don't. I am not talking about needing it for your companion or to sell on GTN, but needing to put on your character. The way I play, if it goes on my companion, I roll need, if it doesn't, I just roll pass.

That is the funny thing though. I am level 43 and out of all the heroics/flashpoints I ran, I think I only played with one person who actually passed on gear. Everyone else tends to roll greed if they don't need the gear and in many times, actually win.

Is there any point in the game where you are blocked from winning gear that doesn't pertain to your character?

If you need on items for your companions than i would remove you from any group I'm in. That's way more of an a-hole move imo. Go do quests if you want to beef up your companion.

To add to this, everyone has companions and will generally need to gear them up. That's what "GREED" is all about. If YOU don't NEED it, then GREED it.

Edited by Lanthor

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.