Another Insult to the EU

RetroRayner

It might "suck", but really... Most people in Europe is kinda at school / work until 4PM anyways. Just go home, eat dinner / home work whatever, then play. Its not going to kill you not getting to play right away once in a while . Take a brake :)

Quite a few people work nights nowadays...

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately this simple technicality seems to be lost on the average person within the EU area...

<-- IS FROM UK.

I'm sorry fellow EU citizens, but I don't buy this "But it's my day off" BS one bit. It's always going to be someones day off or some other reaosn why they HAVE to play on the day of maintenance.

I've been round this loop so many times over the last 2 weeks and all I can say is this;

• the TOS/EULA quite clearly outlined the fact that the game service would be down from time to time
  • The Maintenance periods are announced in advance
  • I believe that normally this will be on a set day of the week (Tuesdays)
  • This is how it is going to be, if you are unable to deal with this fact then you need to make a decision on your continued participation in the game
  • You can whine about it until the cows come home, I doubt it will change a thing

Yes, I know it appears that there may have been a day change this week. (See first bullet!)

Now, you can continue to complain, or you can go play the game. Your choice... :cool:

The problem is that there is no technical reason that can stand up to the basic non-technical argument that can be summed up in a four word phrase. “Other games do it successfully.”

Saying that this I done to cater to a tiny minority of cross region players is farcical at best.

The bottom line, irrespective of EULAs, perceived technical limitations or how “sad” the player base is, is that the current timing of the EU downtime represents a poor level of customer service. Particularly in comparison to the game’s competitors and the level of customer service provided to player in NA.

A lot of people will be currently doing what I’m doing. They’ll be playing the game (in my case enjoying it) but they’ll be considering whether or not to keep playing past the first month or past story completion. They’ll be weighing up all different factors, such as game quality and stability, the expected speed of future content and the level to which BW/EA listen to the community at the extent they will go to to provide a good level of customer service. The EU down time doesn’t have a massive effect on me personally but it’s a reflection of how SWTOR customers are going to be treated in my region.

I'm on a US terminal and it is my day off. Whatever time maintenance server patch gets done, it should always cater to my needs because

I'm > you

And that's the way the whole world should operate!

Luckily for you that is the way it operates. You're in the US, you can’t be expected to receive bad customer service. To be extra sure you don’t get a bad deal BW are even bringing the EU servers down during your off peak time. I really don’t see people problem here. All we’re saying is provide both US and EU players with the same level of service. We aren’t saying we should be better treatment then US players.

Edited by msales

Honestly, all I want is that it alternates so that they don't blatently have a preference for a certain time zone/continent. That would be fair and everyone would have to share in the inconvenience of maintenance.

Clearly this thread has only proved that US customers don't mind having maintenance during their daytime because they are working, going to school, improving their CV, spending time with their GF, ...

Because it suits them better.

Also, nobody cares, maintenances are always a pain, get used to it.

Tip of the day : Get a job, you won't even notice the game is down during the day.

That is the greatest tip ever!

I mean seriously...so your favorite game is offline for a few hours during the day. it will not kill you to get some fresh air...

You can't really compare it to games launched several years ago, like WoW or EQ. MMOs have since become big business and there are much bigger requirements and demands for quality of service now than it was only 2-3 years ago. The best game to compare it to would be Rift, which is just over 6 months old and the latest western MMO to launch. Rift had separate maintenance windows for EU and US from the very beginning.

There is no point really discussing the fact that it takes 8 hours since that's what they deem necessary and we won't and shouldn't try to change that. What we can do however is ask for the same treatment as our North American friends, nothing more, nothing less.

I seriously doubt there is any technical reason for the fact that all servers are down at the same time.

For one, judging from my ping times to server, EU servers are in Europe.

At the very least they are on their own servershards, especially the german and french ones, which have a different client(language pack atleast).

It is just poor service from a huge multinational company, that should do better, and will lose customers if they do not fix this, for starters, both me and my wife

I am paying for that, this is not a free game...

I realy dont undeserstand some of you, You are PAYING for this game, stop defending bioware they wont give you extra items etc. DCO, STOi WoW etc etc these games find solutions for down times. Bioware should also

No matter what they do, someone somewhere is going to be mad because it "effects their game time." I don't understand people like you who don't accept that EVERY MMO has downtime for server maintenance. Why can't people understand that?!

This is still within their first few weeks and they are getting things sorted. They even said in their announcement this was gonna be a weird maintenance period due to the holidays. I also saw that they said..

Generally speaking we are aiming to limit our scheduled maintenance period to once a week, on Tuesdays. However, this week we will perform maintenance on Wednesday due to the New Year’s holiday. We are aiming for this weekly maintenance period to take place in an off-peak time for both North American and European players.

So the intend to have maintenance during off peak hours in EU, they just need to get it worked out. I thought EU would at least be happy to know that Bioware has acknowledged the issue and said they do intend to correct it. I know it doesn't solve it for tomorrow but at least it's in the works.

Edited by elidion

No matter what they do, someone somewhere is going to be mad because it "effects their game time." I don't understand people like you who don't accept that EVERY MMO has downtime for server maintenance. Why can't people understand that?!

People do understand that and *no one* is saying that downtime should be aimed at their individual needs. What we’re saying is that EU downtime should coincide with when the fewest EU players would be online. It currently coincides with when the fewest US players will be online. We’re suggesting a staggered server downtime like SWTOR’s competitors have.

Actually that post doesn't promise anything, it might even mean that this is their opinion of best time slot for the maintenance. There is a heavy bias on the US maintenance time though.

Until they come out and say they will have separate downtimes there will be no peace or comfort for the EU players.

This is still within their first few weeks and they are getting things sorted. They even said in their announcement this was gonna be a weird maintenance period due to the holidays. I also saw that they said..

So the intend to have maintenance during off peak hours in EU, they just need to get it worked out. I thought EU would at least be happy to know that Bioware has acknowledged the issue and said they do intend to correct it. I know it doesn't solve it for tomorrow but at least it's in the works.

I think they’ve always used that phrase mate.

Indeed. Which is why they should be looking to affect the smallest amount of people, and carrying out two maintenance schedules, will affect the least number of people overall.

I always thought this was PRO-Europe rather than anti.

Other games do have split downtime for US and EU, sure. But which other ones give EU the prime raid slot for getting world firsts? All the others favour the US.

Admittedly as a (mostly) normal 9-5 worker the time is during a period I am unlikey to want to play. However, even if one of my occasional night shifts lands in way that gives me tuesday off work I am not going to get worked up about it.

Yeah you're right, they're doing this to insult EU players not because they need to patch anything. *rollseyes*

Do we know that they are actually going to upload 1.0.2?

It is server maintenance which means that potentially the may just check/replace hardware... *rollseyes* :rolleyes:

Fact is that

a) the best time for any maintenance (or patching) would probably be early morning hours local time

b) 8 hours of 'server maintenance' is extremely long...

Is BW doing the 8AM GMT - 4PM GMT (or 9AM - 5PM GMT) maintenance on purpose to insult the European players (important: Europe is more than just EU!)?

I don't think so...

But what I'm afraid of is that they really don't have any experience running an MMO and as such all is done as per the book that some smart guy in a smart suit and with a smart hair cut wrote though sadly he has never actually played an MMO...

which is rather weird considering that obviously the Mythic MMOs are in the BioWare stable... bit of a 'we, the true BioWare, we can get this done without any 'outside' help' attitude?

It might "suck", but really... Most people in Europe is kinda at school / work until 4PM anyways. Just go home, eat dinner / home work whatever, then play. Its not going to kill you not getting to play right away once in a while . Take a brake :)

not so much on the 4th of January, some places (a fair few)dont start back until next week.

You should all be ashamed, whining over loosing a couple of hours one day a week? Get over yourself! Im not insulted, though I m insulted by the fact that i am in the same union with alot of these players and I never had a say in the matter :mad: This is why mature EU player generally choose American servers because Eu players are generally *****.

It swings both ways. There are lots of Americans playing on European servers since they think Europeans are a lot more mature....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.