Artificing - Whats the point? Any crafting really, whats the point?

Sqwints

I am 400/400/400 Artifice/Arch/TH. I sell the occasional mod or hilt or color crystal but I dont understand what the intended purpose of this profession is. EVERYTHING comes with mods in it already. They come with better mods than anything I can make, even if i RE to the epic recipe. And players can remove their mods and put in other gear. So not only am i rarely selling anything but im only selling it once.

Today I found a 400 synthweaving schematic for a tanking piece of gear, looked it up, the epic prototype looked awesome! Talked to my synthweaving buddy and he linked the helm he got for 200/200 pvp marks and it was considerably better. Why?

If you dont enjoy doing it, dont do it, no one is forcing you.

I guess the question is - why would anyone want to? I've sort of abandoned my artificing while leveling, as I can generally buy better mods from commendation vendors. Sort of thinking about going the biochem/analysis route for the reusable stuff, but holding on in case they make craft skills more useful in the near future.

See, I don't know where people are coming from with the "why make it when it comes with stuff in it which is better." I for one almost never find or see the optimal mod for me, either dropped, quest-given or sold. I've crafted almost ever single hilt, crystal and enhancement I used, so I could get the bonus I wanted. I just got to 50 the other day, and I can say that I've very rarely seen the best item mod in my items.

The easiest, self-supporting way to get the things you want is through the crafting. I KNOW I'm going to get a certain crafting item by sending my companions on the appropriate mission. To break it down;

• I can review what items I need for a recipe prior to crafting
  • I can send my companions on the appropriate mission to get said items
  • I then get my crew to craft the item
  • Is it not very good? Ok, I'll dissassemble it to make a better one

I see crafting as vastly useful, and enjoy the sense of accomplishment I get from creating something I can use.

I couldt agree more. 400/400/400 here and its nearly useless. The top enhancements I can make are on par with something you can essentially get for free running a few dailies on Ilum. As a Tankassin I cant even make a decent shield for myself. We were also lead to beleive that we could craft and solo and yet to make the top level stuff you have to run hard mode fp's, and even then, thos items are BOP? I feel like I reached the top only to given the big middle finger by BW.

I even dopped Synthweave at 180 to level arti and now even though Ive capped the skill, Im tempted to drop it all and write off the cost of it and go biochem. At least that way Id have something to do since most days since I hit 50 I log in, fly my space dailies, and log out bored.

I REALLY wanted to like this game, and Im not leaving just yet, but I find myself in the disillusioned class of players.

Edited by Facime

As a 400/400/400 Synthweaver, I must admit I feel pretty much useless.

It was ok during the levelling phase (10-30) because the chance of getting an improved pattern through RE was quite high and I could make some gear that I would keep 3 to 4 levels.

At 50 however, the situation is really bad. The investments needed in term of time and money to be able to obtain a specific Tier 2 artifact schematics is really huge. REing is random, getting a mastercraft is random and obtaining epic crafting material trough illegal trading is also random.

This is actually not bad because only the truly dedicated crafters will be able to craft most of the epic armors.

The issue is that the quality of the lvl 49/50 crafted items are not up to par with pvp and pve gear and basically no one at max level will buy the mastercraft epic Tier 2 armor I spent so much time and money to make.

Worst, the fully modded stuff obtained through quest rewards that I am wearing at level 48 is actually better than the epic armors I can craft (apart from PVE raid gear).

The main issue here is time and money vs reward.

In summary, I feel that all the schematics I can make are mostly useless and that, as a synthweaver, I will only be there as a mule to craft the PVE raid gear.

Fixing this is not hard :

Given the time and money needed to obtain high level blue and purple schematics and craft the armors, the reward should be great :

- The blue armor should be better than the commendation/quest rewards gear. It should be the raid entry gear.

- The purple armor should be slightly below PVE raid and PVP gear but still desirable for people who wants specific stats on their gear (like for instance tanking gear with all 3 tanking secondary stats)

- The mastercraft Tier 2 purple gear should be equivalent to PVE raid gear and PVP gear. If bioware is afraid that this gear will flood the market, then make it that critted gear is only available for the crafter.

Edited by XenTharqua

I am a 400 artifice and i am selling hilts, crystals and enhancement like hot cakes.

The level 45, 47 and 49 is selling very well. I have sold 5 or 6 purple quality orance colored lightsaber crystals for over 40k per.

I have sold many hilt; and the right enhancements (wily, battle, assalt, bastion, ect) sell almost as fast as I can put them up on the GTN.

So those that make the modification parts have a role.

THose that make things, snythweave, Armstech, armortech are pretty much useless due to the fully modable gear. Most of my guildies doing armstech are getting ready to abdandon it.

I agree, Synth 400 here, I like crafting and I maxed my profession as soon as I was able with limited cash flow, but the fact is I'm always able to get better results using planet commendations.

Add to this that Synth and Armor cannot make their own primary mod (rating), as opposed to Artifice and Arms, and u get the picture.

Crafting is about running a virtual business in the virtual space, but there's no business in crew skills atm.

See my sign for more, I hope they fix them, Crafting Skills hare completely broken, and this situations comes from a crafting revamp rushed into the game just before game launch, i.e. without extensive testing.

So those that make the modification parts have a role.

Until people realise it's more cost effective to get gear with mods already on them and just remove the mods as they see fit?

Time vs Reward for crafting really doesn't add up, considering the length of time missions take, and the random aspect in what you actually acquire from that mission (lets not forget it could fail entirely, wasting a ton of credits) the rewards really need to be scaled better to accommodate that.

Edited by Mynameisaw

I am 400/400/400 Artifice/Arch/TH. I sell the occasional mod or hilt or color crystal but I dont understand what the intended purpose of this profession is. EVERYTHING comes with mods in it already. They come with better mods than anything I can make, even if i RE to the epic recipe. And players can remove their mods and put in other gear. So not only am i rarely selling anything but im only selling it once.

Today I found a 400 synthweaving schematic for a tanking piece of gear, looked it up, the epic prototype looked awesome! Talked to my synthweaving buddy and he linked the helm he got for 200/200 pvp marks and it was considerably better. Why?

You can make enhancements and hilts that are better then hardmode and pvp.... thats the point.

Go do hardmodes and find the schematics, what you craft even 400 synthweaving is better then pvp stuff. You cant see all the stats until you actually craft it, and they have augment slots which pvp gear does not have.

Im not disagreeing with you though, and its a mix between pvp handing out welfare epics and hardmodes/crafting not being worth the time or the energy.

Edited by deserttfoxx

Besides not to mention crafting is usefull to send good items to your Alt toons that are in lower lvls etc. or to your budies in guild and friends etc. crafting doesnt mean its necessary only for you. I do it because of the joy of do it and unloking new schematics, equip my companions with it if necessary at my personal taste. I agree it could be better and i hope it will be... the game just launched btw :) Edited by Spartanik

I think the difference with crafting in this game is that crafting seems to be built around just leveling up and gearing your toon as you level up and not much viability at end game.

No really... you get a lot of commendations around, and you can get better gear that way unless you lose cash by the millions to research the artifacts, and artifact schematics are so rare to obtain from RE that you usually have long outleveled them when you finally have them.

some valid points in thread but really it'd be nice if could just fix all the bugs from Artifice. Can argue merits of it back and forth but would be nice if it at least could work correctly.

Btw the posts from people that are lvl 50 and 400/400/400 2 weeks after game launches who say they are bored- what did you expect to happen? not trying to be mean it's just that mmo's are always gonna cater to the masses who lvl much slower.

Just a comparison below

Lvl 49 champion Chest piece for tank from pvp

836 armor

75 str

94 end

48 shield rating

53 def

Lvl 47 Purple Synthweaving chest piece from vendor(Tank Version)

762 armor

42 str

68 end

68 shield rating

64 def

Thats just the level 47 chest from synthweaving,and Im only comparing the tank chest pieces cause I am a tank,the synthweaving chest you can augment if you crit,giving you an extra +28 to any stat...lets say for example you throw in a end augment. You are going to have 96 endurance on the chest,with higher shield and higher def, the 2 stats you will be less on is str...not a huge stat in need as a raw tank, and armor,the armor is makes a very small difference,like .3% in damage reduction but the extra shield rating almost makes an entire 2% difference in your chance for your shield to proc and to absorb damage. The point is crafting isn't completely useless. I do agree they made it way to easy for people to grab comparable gear with the highest end gear with just commendations.

some valid points in thread but really it'd be nice if could just fix all the bugs from Artifice. Can argue merits of it back and forth but would be nice if it at least could work correctly.

Btw the posts from people that are lvl 50 and 400/400/400 2 weeks after game launches who say they are bored- what did you expect to happen? not trying to be mean it's just that mmo's are always gonna cater to the masses who lvl much slower.

Not sure if this was just a random aside or what, but I don't see how that's relevant to this thread.

It really does feel to me like the only profession really worth having at 50 right now is biochem for the consumables. No one has any need of my hilts/crystals/enhancements at max level with the epic gear. I can make some kind of profit selling some of the upper grade stuff, but that will probably only last until more people hit 50 in the coming weeks and the money pool dries up completely.

I like some of your ideas, but I fear they're too radical to be taken into serious consideration. Best of luck.

What you think is a reasonable amount of time and dedication to the game, and what I think is acceptable can be different without either of us being wrong. If you want to level slow and take months to get to the "top" thats certainly your option. I never spacebar'd a conversation I hadnt already seen, I leveled my profs nearly half way to cap and started over and I dont think I rushed anything, I certainly didnt miss anything (I also have 80% of the datacrons in the game, even ones that dont pertain to my class).

We all enjoy things differently. Maybe its my fault for not researching crafting a little more before I started, but I expected there to be "endgame content" for crafters as well as PVP'rs and raiders, and there is NOT. If you are defending the crafting system and you are still leveling up crafting then, to be perfectly honest, you have no idea what you are talking about.

It was already said, crafting is designed around leveling and pretty much ends dead at level cap. Sure I sell a few hilts and crystals and make back a tiny amount of the money I invested in the professions, but there is very little to look forward to at this point.

Edited by Facime

What you think is a reasonable amount of time and dedication to the game, and what I think is acceptable can be different without either of us being wrong. If you want to level slow and take months to get to the "top" thats certainly your option. I never spacebar'd a conversation I hadnt already seen, I leveled my profs nearly half way to cap and started over and I dont think I rushed anything, I certainly didnt miss anything (I also have 80% of the datacrons in the game, even ones that dont pertain to my class).

We all enjoy things differently. Maybe its my fault for not researching crafting a little more before I started, but I expected there to be "endgame content" for crafters as well as PVP'rs and raiders, and there is NOT. If you are defending the crafting system and you are still leveling up crafting then, to be perfectly honest, you have no idea what you are talking about.

It was already said, crafting is designed around leveling and pretty much ends dead at level cap. Sure I sell a few hilts and crystals and make back a tiny amount of the money I invested in the professions, but there is very little to look forward to at this point.

No, his point (which I fully agree with) is that we are barely two weeks post launch and you are already level 50 and complaining about being bored...

The problem is not the game or any supposed lack of content, the problem is YOU and your foolish need to rush to 50 and pass on actually playing the game and experiencing the deep and enjoyable content.

I suggest you start a new character and actually play the game this time.

as a biochem crafter i can say making reusable medpacks and stims is awesome. u can't buy those from a vendor and people r always willing to buy something that they can keep reusing. plus i charge them extra just cause its reusable. i like crafting, i can't say anything on the other skills but biochem is awesome.