Bioware, You Want to Resuscitate This Game? Then Implement The Following.

Xugos

While I won't refute many of the items the OP put in his post, I will point out that there is merit in some of the comments following it (I didn't read all the pages mind you) that expecting a perfect game at launch with no bugs and every feature in the 7 year old MMO is by definition "entitled."

I wonder why all of these "MMO Vets" who bemoan all the problems with this launch aren't at least acknowledging that despite the queues etc this is still a quite decent launch all things considered and holding this game to a higher standard because it's "new" is just a justification for your bias. It is perfectly valid for people to point out that there were queues in World of Warcraft Vanilla at launch, and "game breaking bugs" etc; just because it's been seven years since you spent an hour hunched over in the loot animation unable to do anything after trying to mine the copper node next to Azora's tower in Elwynn forest doesn't mean that you can ignore that it happened.

I also agree with the people who are pointing out that this game is technically less than two weeks old and while some losses from launch players are to be expected this does not necessarily mean that after this point EA/Bioware won't still have a net gain of subscribers.

Also for flame bait I would just like to say that anyone who still believes Bobby Kotick's subscription figures whilst looking at Activision's quarterly profits the last 2-3 years knowing how much WoW accounts for their overall revenues is a fool.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't agree totally with the list (It has been such a pleasure playing without combat logs for once but I can understand why serious raiding guilds "need" them), I think the OP makes some pretty good points and could really help with the improvement of the game.

Personally I'm happy as can be with SWTOR but it does have some rough edges to it which hopefully the developers are looking at ironing out. My biggest peeve with the game right now is the rather empty feeling the game has when I play. It is such a spread out game (good in many ways) that many times, I hardly run across another player in my adventures. Putting together groups for my spouse and I has been hit and miss as well so a better LFG tool (server only) would be pretty nice.

Another peeve is not having server forums. We haven't found ourselves a guild yet in spite of looking around (Lord Adraas server--Empire side). Finding a good one is a bit like finding a needle in a haystack as I've searched through the forums. Server forums would be great and also a way to bring the community together a bit more. I'm not here to play a single player game and would like to find some friends in this vast world.

Stupid question. If these features would make this game more popular, how come it did not work for Rift and others that implemented these features? I see lots of people ask for these features, but I have never witnessed those features being available at launch or added shortly after launch increase a player base or stabilize it at all.

I am curious as to why this is. Is the game itself otherwise flawed? Does the game not differentiate itself enough? Does the game move too close to the game you already played? So, let's even take the premise that this game is failing. I don't think these features would help it at all, because it has not done so for any other MMO that has implemented them.

I left Rift for several reasons: Macro system was way too much, souls were pointless, too many numbers exposed (I am trying to play a game, it was like watching a movie without editing), and the most important was that I felt like I played the game before. It was too familiar, it was WoW and WAR. I played both already and left them for other reasons.

I enjoy this game because I don't feel like I played it before. I enjoy the cut scenes and dialog, it gives a certain extra something to the common quests. I actually enjoy having companions (and I hated pet classes after my hunter in WoW and others where the pet was not easily controlled and liked to aggro everything) and the affection system. I enjoy how crafting was implemented. Oh sure, there are things that need to be fixed, but the game at least feels different to me.

So if the game is dying, the features on the OP will not save it anyway. They have shown no history of doing so. The only thing implemented that I have seen that has saved games is going free to play. Dungeons and Dragons and LOTR both did that very well and are still around because of it. So if you want the game to survive because it is dying I would go with that suggestion first, as it has examples and proof that it can work.

Well I m pretty satisfied with TOR think its a great start which will only improve with time off course there are bugs that need fixing but its new they spent 150 million on development. I think they are pretty enthuastic about listening to players to improve our gaming experience. With alot of things you ll either love this game or hate it. Those of us that chose to stay will benefit in the long term as things get better. I think the general chat bubble is hilarious some of the arguments I ve seen other stupid things lol, can break things up if your having s tough time in the game.

Note: This is simply a list of issues that we all recognize exist. We all want the best for SW:TOR which is why we bought it in the first place, and if Bioware wants send a signal that it is dedicated to this game, then it would be wise to begin communicating and recognizing issues.

Edit: I am now understanding that some people disagree with the premise that this thread begins with: that the game is in need of "resuscitation." Please ignore that point momentarily if you disagree.

Well, for those of who may know me (because they despise me) from my rampant pre-launch criticisms of this game, including ones derived from beta experience, it's happening. Most of the beta testers' concerns were not addressed, and that leaves us with the current state of the game.

SW:TOR is a game with great potential. That being said, MMOs only get one shot, and this is SW:TOR's. Bioware MUST implement the following (a consolidated list of fixes that I have heard demanded by numerous people within the community) before the free 30 days game-time period ends.

THE LIST:

- Chat bubbles (with the option to disable for those of us who are introverted within the community, myself included.)

- Add a combat log. I will say this again. ADD A COMBAT LOG. IT IS A *MUST!* A combat log is needed for damage/healing/tank mitigation parses. If you are serious about having guilds progress in non-mediocre PvE content, these are essential.

- ADD TARGET OF TARGET into the game. Over-haul the UI in general.

- Fix bugs in general, but most importantly the ones pertaining to the mail system (where an item can be lost forever if the bug occurs.)

- Add FOCUS TARGETS.

- Add a fail safe (purchase confirmation) to item purchases and skill learns. Many people have lost commendations/credits for accidentally misclicking while using a high-sensitivity/DPI mouse and purchasing the wrong item.

- Overhaul the auction house system (GTN.) Add a search option, remove the 50 item limit on your auctions, and add bid/buyout functionality that isn't feudalistic and outdated.

- SERVER FORUMS. THIS IS A MUST TO ENSURE THAT A STRONG SERVER-COMMUNITY MANIFESTS ITSELF!

- More camera options. THE OPTION TO DISABLE "SMART CAMERA PIVOT" SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTED!

- Implement a threat parse so that tanks can actually gage how much threat they have on targets. Right now, they are in the dark and they have a disproportionally stressful job. I can personally testify that I don't know a single person, nor do I think such a person exists or is common, that appreciates the current system of things pertaining to threat.

- An LFG system over-haul. I'm not saying it should be automated and teleport you to the location of whatever it is you're doing like WoW does, but there needs to be increased support for this. Perhaps introducing a channel with some extra features dedicated to creating groups would do it.

- Improve your servers so that you do not have to create two separate instances for a mere 50 people in a SINGLE sub-zone. That is just asinine and removes the social/community atmosphere from the game. I bought an MMORPG, not a single-player Mass Effect RPG.

- Fix accessibility to PvP gear. As it stands, many are reporting it is MUCH TOO EASY to acquire.

- Allow people to queue for SPECIFIC WARZONES.

- ADD MACROS.

- A customizable UI with third party add-on support. All healers (experienced healers) that I know cringe at the lack of a customizable UI. Click-to-heal made healing fun. Bioware MUST implement this.

- >>>>>>>Ensure mouse-over heal support.<<<<<<<

- A fix to optimization issues. Great machines are not running this game so great.

- A fix to delay issues that are not related to latency. People have "50 ms" latency and have a 3-4 second delay on select abilities.

- Better customer support. Hire MORE people, HAND THEM a company policy book, and GET them helping people out. No excuse for not having enough people when you knew how much traffic there would be on launch day.

- Buy a better swtor.com server. No reason why your WEBSITE should have queues when practically every MMO, including ones that have been less or more successful, did not have queues at launch, nevermind post-launch.

- Increase the number of players allowed on a server. Don't hide subscription numbers by artificially inflating server size. Reportedly, only 2000-2500 players are allowed per server, which is horrible. Bump that number up significantly, even if it is done gradually, or you're in trouble. The game world is already pretty empty in some places as is.

- Re-instate the appearance unifier, even if temporarily. No reason why a battle-hardened Trooper should look literally like a clown with a rain-bow themed assortment of ballistic armor plates.

- Have community managers COMMUNICATE to the player base that Bioware understands our issues and is working diligently on fixing them. As of now, it appears as though y'all are pretending NOTHING is wrong. Wake up.

- Dissolve the universal PvP bracket. Put in SPECIALIZED PvP brackets instead. A 1-49 bracket and then a 50 bracket would be a great start, but preferrably, just do a 1-30, 30-49, and then a 50 bracket. If the player base grows further (big if here), then dissect the brackets further and specialize them to an even greater extent. A level 50 has much more utility and more abilities in its arsenal than a level 15. Even if they have the same stats, that is UNFAIR because the level 50 has a vested advantage. That's why there should always be brackets, albeit with the boost system retained.

- Work towards providing the PvP community with something with more longevity and something that fosters community. That something is an arena system with arena maps. This would go a LONG way for the PvP community.

- Address content-related player concerns. Let us know what the horizon is bringing, and by this I mean, RELEASE MORE OPERATIONS/WARZONES and RATED WARZONES and give us an estimated time of arrival that is not too far off.

- A space overhaul. Not sure if the Hero engine can handle it, but space combat is just abysmal after the first few flying sortees. Something closer to SWG space but IMPROVED because this is 2011 and not 2004 would be required.

Let me know if I missed something. The aforementioned were the most common issues presented to myself by other members of this community.

If you support this list or want to petition me to add something to it, please say so.

TL;DR: pick a random spot on the list and read it. See if you agree.

That's the list. It's your choice to make this game or break it, Bioware.

Ball's in your court.

It's a check, but will it be a check-mate?

because the OP is unhappy.. means this game must be bad.. I get it now..

Because the OP knows exactly what everyone in this game wants... right?

Seriously, shut your yap and play the game. Or don't. I don't care. They have the first content patch next month already. Why don't we just wait and see what happens before we start the hyperbole and melodrama?

Lol, I love kids who get so angry that you're pointing out obvious imperfections with their game.

You can be mad all you'd like, that doesn't change the fact that this game needs fixing right now.

Can I add:

- sell junk option (my companions have better things to do)

- UI scaling

- movable UI

- auto stacking items while getting them from mail, bank etc.

- target forwarding (target friendly player to heal but keep target on selected foe)

- add basic cockpit to our lovely star ships

- save key bindings so we can load them for our newly created characters

- separate maintenance for EU and US servers !

Until this and other improvements are not implemented, "my" 4 accounts stay unsubscribed :(

Seriously, shut your yap and play the game. Or don't. I don't care. They have the first content patch next month already. Why don't we just wait and see what happens before we start the hyperbole and melodrama?

The OP makes alot of good points and suggestions. All great improvements that the game could use.

The thread title might be abit too much but your reply screams i don't want any improvements to my game.

Remove the combat "lag" and add more depth to PvP/Flashpoints. Also quest design needs to improvise, no more "Collect me 10 mushrooms".

Also we need more PvP quests so we can choose to level through PvE or PvP.

Edited by Rhetulos

So chat bubbles are all that are required to save any game that doesn't have them. Awesome OP, never would have thought something so useless would be so needed!

I would comment on combat logs, but we all know they ruin games, so it isn't needed. Oh wait, I just did comment on it. Oh well. :)

Loving the game, and it does need fixes.

Everything in life does, there is no such thing as perfection.

But I do get tired of individuals who are delusional to think the universe ceases to exist when they aren't occupying it any longer.

The game is just great, and doing fine.

The title is pure fail.

Edited by Fraxture

More to implement.

Copying from WoW:

1) Full premade groups for Warzones

2) Warzones rated system

3) Two versions of each raid (for 8 and 16 players), equally difficult, same loot, only different number of items dropped

4) Level brackets in Warzones

Copying from Rift:

5) Achievement system with score visible in the guild window

6) Artifacts and collections

Implement 1 and 3 or fail. The rest would be great improvements.

Target of Target

Ability to move and resize current ui objects.

Revamp the GTN interface.

Fix bugs.

Threat meters, mouseover heals ... none of that is necessary. Stop dumbing down the games. If threat is bouncing it's every player's job to fix that, dps needs to throttle down/detaunt as much as the tanks need to apply threat. Healing without mouseover is quite doable, whack-a-mole is that way --->

Learn your class as you level rather than look for ui codes to make the game play itself for you.

The only melodrama I see is in your hostile reply.

The OP is SPOT ON. I love the game, but I am REALLY missing all of the features that can be found in WoW. This list of features is MMO 101 these days and there really is no excuse for not baking them into new games from day 1.

The OP makes alot of good points and suggestions. All great improvements that the game could use.

The thread title might be abit too much but your reply screams i don't want any improvements to my game.

Some of the OP's suggestions may be seen as improvements, others are just plain unecessary and will lead to the slippery slope. People like you who have come out in support of the OP need to accept the fact that not everyone agrees with the petulant child.

The guilds currently running heroic operations would probably laugh at half his requests such as damage meters, macros, & mods as we are in week 2 and they dont use them or need them.

When are people going to learn that the days of "it's a new game, wait for them to be fixed, how many other mmos had perfect launches" are over.

For a game to be successful it's got to compete with a game that's been out for 7 years and has millions of players. Not only that but a good amount of the new players in this game are most likely players from that other game and if the new game has bugs or doesn't play perfectly then people will just go back to that.

I get that it's new and I personally don't mind bugs when a new mmo comes out. But you have to realize that people like yourself and I are in the minority. A lot of the bugs that are present have been discussed since beta and weren't fixed and it was shipped anyway. If people leave it's not because they are impatient or crybabies or whatever, it's because the game company was impatient and wanted to ship an unfinished product (unfinished in the eyes of some) and left people with a first impression that wasn't stellar as opposed to waiting another 6 months to fix all these bugs. Especially a bug as massive as unresponsive combat. (thats my biggest pet peeve.)

Is it fair for game companies to have to ship a perfect mmo? Some would say yes, others would say no. But the bottom line is if it's not perfect and people don't have an outstanding first impression, then they will go back to that other game and the new game will end up being mediocre at best. (in terms of player subscriptions)

So what I'm trying to say is... People need to stop making excuses for a game company that launches a new mmo. Any company that doesn't know their game has to be perfect is shooting themselves in the foot. There have been more than a few that have tried but in the end didn't reach their full potential because their launch wasn't perfect.

Would people have been upset if this game was delayed another 6 months? Yes, at least the ones that always kept up with the news on this game. Others like myself wouldn't have cared because I would've just played a different game for that time. The people like myself would have signed up anyway and so would the people that would have been pissed about the delay. But in the end, things would have been much smoother and people would have had a much better first impression and would have been much more likely to stick around.

Maybe they'll get around to fixing everything in a few months. But by then it'll be too late. Hell, it's already too late for many people. They've already formed their first impressions. It's too bad, I was rooting for this game. I'll stick around, but unfortunately others won't. Like it or not, it's just how it is this day and age.

Read this for truth.

The only melodrama I see is in your hostile reply.

The OP is SPOT ON. I love the game, but I am REALLY missing all of the features that can be found in WoW. This list of features is MMO 101 these days and there really is no excuse for not baking them into new games from day 1.

What I dont understand is if a players really loves all the features used in Wow, then why not just play wow?

This is supposed to be a different game, I actually like the fact that as players we need to learn to play our classes again rather than using easymode mods like decursive, dbm, & threatmeters. Forget the fact that observations from guilds already doing heroic modes are we dont need them why dumb down the game mechanics? I for one pay to play, not play and watch tv or read a book at the same time.

I came into this thread expecting a whiny wishlist of ******** unrealistic things, but for the most part I have been complaining about/desiring much of the same changes. Particularly the Threat meter (or something similar,) better healing UI options, target of target, and better game optimization. I don't think the first three are asking too much, and the optimization can wait as long as they let us know they are working on it.

I'd like to add one more thing to the list; I'm not exactly sure what its called but in some games (CoX and RIFT are two I can remember) when you have an ENEMY targeted and use a healing spell, it will cast on the enemy's target, & when you have an ALLY targeted and use an ATTACK spell, it casts on the ally's target. This is EXTREMELY useful for healing and I would love support for this feature.

Read this for truth.

That is only the attitude of the entitled generation, most older gamers have been through this many times before. Were here for the long run and not the instant gratification, we understand that unlike MMOFPS RPGS are a work in progress that lives and breathes and expands over time..........we have patience.