BH Healing for PVE

Chorusgirl

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great guide, thanks. It's a very interesting read.

I'm currently still mulling over stat priorities though, and thinking which is better than what to certain points. It's quite hard to judge really, Alacrity being the hardest to figure out. I'm almost certain it lowers the GCD having 17% Alacrity on myself to test it bringing Healing Scan to 1.25 there is no delay before I can activate another skill. But Alacrity other than lowering the GCD will only really benefit two of our heals, whereas Crit, Surge and Power benefits them all.

Crit has a 40% soft cap / 50% hard cap, so you're probably not wanting to go over 35% unbuffed Tech crit. Surge has massive DR from 85% so that's the point to stop for that, maybe even stop at 80%. Power has a bad coefficient to Healing Power compared to Damage but after the above are reaching the point where DR is coming into play it's the best alternative. So I'm going to go on a limb and say:

Crit to 30% - 35%

Surge to 80% - 85%

Alacrity to 10% (15% with System Calibrations)

After that, stack power. These numbers will be impossible to obtain without Flashpoint / Operations / Mastercraft crafting gear. Myself, I've gone with a nice mix and Tech crit is at 35%, Surge at 77%, Alacrity at 10% and +323 Power. Unfortunately I have no math to back this up, purely my own observations after playing Bodyguard and what "feels" right.

Im 45 and I need a change of pace. I have healed in every game out there and I am willing to switch to BG and learn it from the ground up. Is Blizz ok for a tank as I learn the ropes?

Yes, I use a tank companion when I do quests as BG spec. A dps companion like Gault would work well too.

Get 30 charges and then pop supercharged gas and you can spam Power Shot like 8 times before it wears off. I normally build charges by rapid shooting my companion for heals during and between pack pulls.

Edited by Chorusgirl

well I returned after respecing and wanted to share my results:

I headed out to Hoth to the the bonus series at level 45 with me and Blizz. I found that solo the fights are dragged out and take much longer. I usualy have to pitch in and unload , electro dart, rail shot then go back to healing to speed things up. I did take on an elite with 29k hp, something I could not do with my merc. I updated Blizz with some better equipment and decided to try pvp, something I am not good at..

I started with Voidstar, load up with 30 shots and shield at the start point. If im not with a guildie I usualy pick a level 50 tank who seems like he knows what he is doing and follow him out. I stay near the pack doing the objective and toss every heal we have and aoe in the sweet spots. When I was attacked I could do nearly 3 times the healing on myself verses their damage to me, most people gave up and move to another target. We slaughtered them and I got 3rd place in healing, and the most exp, commendations and credits I ever got in pvp, on my first try.

Now I do Hoth and the whole game we controlled all 3 turrets and got 2nd place something I never seen before because I always lose in Hoth 4/5 games. This time the Jedi were catching onto me because my team mates where slaughtering them as I did every heal I could with anyone in range, never running high on heat ever. I got 4 jedi beating on me. With the shield on myself I used every CD I had and it took them a while to beat me down. This was good because 4 other players where trying to kill me while my team was winning the game.

Overall I am vey pleased. I just have to tune my equipment and playstyle a bit, especialy on solo pve and balance good damage and manage healing at the same time. Loving it so far. It is not hard to learn at all. It's just in tight moments when the presure is high, you have to manage your CD and heat so you maximize your healing while keeping the situation under control.

Hey all,

Thank you for bringing up the Crit/Surge v.s. Power issue Mooby - it is one that think is very important and one that seems to have split the community in an absence of solid maths (that I can find at least). My conclusions were basically the same as yours.

To the original poster - thank you for the guide :) I have great respect / gratitude for those of you who put the energy into these things. I note you recommend Power > Crit/surge as a general rule. would you like to respondto Mooby? Do you think he is wrong. You are clearly experienced in the class and I'd be interested to hear.

I use the same stat approach. Sans friendly crit buffs my current ~'s are 33% crit, 79% surge, 15% alacrity, and I forget how much tech--these change depending on PvE or PvP armor sets. I layer adrenals/stims in serious encounters so I can have 45-50% crit and 83-85% surge for about 35 seconds every CD cycle. If I need serious burst, I can always use my +power relic with a crit adrenal (+565 crit!)--but I usually just roll with crit relic and adrenal to keep crit near 50% for as long as possible. I have a rakata triage as well, but exploiting the fantastic healing surge rate is just too tempting. This is especially true when heals are underwhelming and heat intensive if they don't crit. My Rapid Scan is about 1.6 seconds in cast time and crits in the low 5k's. Sexy.

BH's are still bottom of the barrel for raids. Our healing is fantastic, but we have no real utility to bring to a group. Every class can heal just fine, it's the added utility and scale of those heals/abilities that make a healer suitable for groups bigger than 4 people. Hopefully the Devs look into that for BH's and Operatives (who at least grabbed combat rez).

thanks for your guide

but can you tell me which equipment u used before L50?

If u say power > crit .. but I see only one mod that have lot of power OR crit rating and that is Enhancement. Armoring/Mod dont offer any +power (only few) or +crit rating.

And because I cant find any bracers/wrist that can be moddable..

its like

head/chest/legs/gloves + 2 pistols.. that mean 6 slots for enhancement.

3 for power 3 for crit? Or how you will solve it?

I mean how to get lots of +power AND +crit when they occupy same slots :-D

thanks for your guide

but can you tell me which equipment u used before L50?

If u say power > crit .. but I see only one mod that have lot of power OR crit rating and that is Enhancement. Armoring/Mod dont offer any +power (only few) or +crit rating.

And because I cant find any bracers/wrist that can be moddable..

its like

head/chest/legs/gloves + 2 pistols.. that mean 6 slots for enhancement.

3 for power 3 for crit? Or how you will solve it?

I mean how to get lots of +power AND +crit when they occupy same slots :-D

You don't really start seeing power enhancements and mods till like 40s - late 40s At that point I started seeing them on commendation vendors in a greater variety. A good balance between power and crit is probably the best way you can go. Don't forgo all of your crit for power ;-)

If you can afford it, I would highly recommend getting a Razer Naga mouse for Merc healing. Hell healing in any MMO (shoulda seen my disc priest in wow numrow + alt numrow binds completely filled with healing stuff) and they are also awesome for RTSs. Having the whole numrow accessible by one finger though is beautiful imo.

The cheaper alternative is to pick up any old mouse that has a scroll wheel and two thumb buttons. You can probably find one for $40 or under. I had an ancient logitch MX510 since they came out in 2004. Use shift, alt and control binds and you are good to go. Now I have a similar wireless mouse - the logitech anywhere mouse. 2 side buttons, wireless, works on my glass desk :)

Maybe its because I'm older, but I want sleek, stylish desktop now. When the G15 gaming keyboard came out I thought it was the coolest thing ever, and I wanted one so bad, but never did get one for some reason. Now I think all these gaming keyboards/mice that I see everywhere are alien-looking and incredibly tacky

Here's my set up now

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5846

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/keyboards/keyboard/devices/7288

looks amazing, and still adequate for gaming!

I have MX518 + Merc stealth keyboard and I have everything on keyboard.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/135/prdshtmercstealth01gt1.jpg/

Q+R = main heal ablities

E = shots

shift+e = kolto overload

C = kolto shell

F = super gas

V = kolto missile

B = decrease threat ab

G = cure

T = medpack

1 = pet attack

2 = vent heat

3 = rocket punch

4 = shield

5 = electro dart

6 = concus missile

7 = interrupt stun

8 = jet boost

9 = stun nades

10 = dot nades

11 = rail shot

when I press shift+Q till C i have dmg abs.. (in warzones sometimes when enemy have low hp I finish him ;-))

I actually just bought a razer naga. I have g15 keyboard too and use the macro keyboard extensively

The razer naga is good for bonethrasher I've found - i made a macro to select target of target and cast kolto shield on them. It helps a lot. And also I have Kolto Missiles bound to a mouse button. if you can afford a naga it's a pretty big advantage to have in this game since we can't make macros in game

Why Rakata Triage Adrenal ?

http://www.torhead.com/schematic/attenOk/rakata-triage-adrenal

vs

http://www.torhead.com/item/f2YQFqS/rakata-attack-adrenal

for merc heal - power/tech power is same. same bonus. And Attack Adrenal dont cripple damage. so it can be used even in pvp when u need sometime some dmg..

I wrote it back when it had additional effects, there actually was a difference in the bonus when I originally choose biochem as a profession. I'll fix it though since they've made them the same bonus - it's kinda dumb that they did that. The triage one should be more powerful since it reduces the damage you can do so it would be clearly better just for healing. Maybe they were trying to cut down on the amount of alloy that you needed to collect as a biochem in order to make your stuff. Who knows! Thanks for bringing this to light.

Great guide but.....the guide doesnt explain how to make guilds want to take the most worthless and bad healer in the game that 1 sorc can make up for 2 mercs

While i'm not saying we are completely worthless as we do heal single targets extremely well.. I mostly agree with this point.

Why take a merc as a healer in an 8 man? or even a 16 man when they are far more valuable as dps

I rolled a merc to heal, sadly I step aside so that others can do it because they are simply better at the job then I am.

Maybe this will change in the future, but there are no fights that make use of us healing that we would do better then anyone else.. Not even the frenzy from foreman.

Actually correction I would take 1 merc healer on a 16 man.. but on 8's I'd prefer 2 other healers.

Edited by Shammus