The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Please give Power Techs a Rifle

leviathandragon

My biggest issue is that Powertech (and Sith Juggernauts and Sorcerers) have no off-hand model for the item that is IN their offhand slot. Shields, Generators, and Focii are off-hand items, it would be nice to actually have something shown in the offhand.

I for one would have liked a Riot Shield type thing for our shield slot to go with the pistol, 'cause that would be kinda neat. But ANYTHING would be nice.

edit: One advantage it could have is to be able to tell at a glance if a powertech is a tank or dps.

Edited by DarkwingMarmot

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/sign /agree. Troopers have Assault Cannons, which we dont want, we want rifles. To have the option of either pistol/rifle/shotgun. I think is very important and very true our class as well, be it for whatever reason a player may want. Personally i want the Sith Trooper armor and pose as a Sith Trooper, but with a rifle not pistol.

I would prefer a carbine to a rifle for the simple fact it would set the PT apart from the other classes. The carbine was for mid to close range where the rifle was always for long to mid range. Plus the carbine has a short rifle look and still has the rapid fire capability and can be fired single handed.

You guys go carrying big guns if you need to compensate.

I'll be sporting a one hand blaster, *****-slapping, throwing flames darts and grappling hooks with my free hand.

Free knuckle sandwiches while i cook your innards with blaster shots !

I don't know about rifles, and it's fine if they don't allow them by me, balance over visuals. However just because we are blaster pistol as a class doesn't mean the models cannot be visually more different. I would maybe add some over the fist cannon looking blasters or in palm based blasters think like Iron man or wrist mounted blasters so the visuals of the blaster can be different enough to be satisfying. With Powertech especially we are are armor like Mercs are their guns.

Agree with this 1000000%. I don't care if it does the same damage as a pistol, but to be a huge armored guy with a name like POWERTECH and carry around a dinky pistol .. it just plain looks bad.

-Allow for rolling on different loot

-Make Armstech more viable

-Improved aesthetics

If I didn't have 7 friends rolling for the Empire, I would have gone with a trooper just so I didn't have to use the dinky pistol.

It really is a mood killer.

Guys, that would be just too awkward to drop it at each rocket punch, then pick it up again. you just don't do awesome punching with a rifle as your distance weapon.

There's agents for the rifly thingies.

We powertechs are awesome enough to wield a blaster rifle in one hand.

Edited by Turibur

Here is how I see it. I agree completely with having a rifle as an option to use instead of the single pistol, which let’s face it.. you see a guy coming at you with heavy armor on looking like a walking tank sporting a dinky pistol, is not very intimidating. I got to thinking the other day why can’t we? the rocket launcher/flamethrower is a default weapon. All BH's get that to start with.. so that’s essentially one weapon there. then you get to specialize and either get two pistols or one pistol and a shield generator that works 5% of the time???? come on now. Mercs get basically three weapons while Techs get 2? (counting flamethrower/rocket launcher as a weapon.) As a tech you can choose to use a pistol and shield/power generator or just the rifle. Seems fair to me. Edited by Truvan

I agree, also vanguards should have the ability to equip our blasters also.

It makes sense lore wise, because if anyone here has paid (payed? Minds gone blank) to the films and Animated series, you often seen clone commanders using dual pistols, sometimes 1.

More weapon choices:

Means more weapons added to the drop list

Means smaller chance of getting te weapon you want on a drop.

Now there is no real difference between a rifle and a pistol, and aside from posted above, I see no reason not to add the option. Maybe they'll add it as legacy.

As legacy content it would fit well.

Your dad was a trooper, taught you to use a rifle.

Your grandpa was a smuggler, taught you to use a shotty.

On other glasses, you mom was a bh, taught you to use your pistol.

They could have you play to x level of a class before opening the iconic weapon for your legacy.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see I am not the only one who feels strongly about this issue, I was initially worried when I posted the thread that I would just get shot down for a million reasons I haven't even thought of yet.

I guess though what it boils down to is, more customization cannot be bad, and for the fellow talking about compensating, there is no compensation issue here I just prefer a carbine/rifle to a pistol, if I am going to be decked out in heavy armor I just feel I could use more imposing weaponry and it adds something to separate it more from the merc class.

And to be clear I have nothing against mercs, I am just not into dual pistol style combat, but I am glad that others have that option if it makes them happy.

Most weapon options would be nice but I like the idea that I'm a gunslinger with tricks. Other than some variety, what would BH gain from getting rifle access?

What is disappointing is that there isn't an Empire equivalent class for blaster cannons or a republic equivalent for sniper rifles (IIRC).

Edited by Obtena

I agree. If not for the rest of the class being absolutely awesome in PvP I'd really drop this class quickly. It just doesn't look right. Aesthetics is very important to me. I don't see ANY ability that the BH PT can't simply hold the rifle off to the side with one hand while performing the flame shots, TD throw, electric dart throw, etc. Doesn't add up guys.

A two-handed weapon would look daft on a bounty hunter, considering the number of gadgets(and consequent animations) in your arsenal; think about your wrist rockets, flame thrower, flame sweep, grapple, or rail shot animations, how clumsy and unnatural would they look when you're constantly switching your rifle into one hand? It makes no sense for a bounty hunter to have such an awkward weapon when he has all those other offensive abilities at his disposal and it would make all those awesome animations look ugly as hell, too.

I was actually really looking forward to playing Powertech as an alt character. Untill I realiced it was a pistol only class.

I understand that it makes some sense to have a free hand to use your skills and gadgets but from a tanking point of view it dosn't make any sense. Sith Juggernaut one sword makes sense, its a very good defensive weapon that let's you focus on a single point, and hes allways in your face so it makes sense.

Powertech on the other hand have a blaster and gadgets, that means for all defensive and offensive purposes your relying entirely on gadgets not the blaster itself at all.

And its not like you have a problem screwing the lore up itself by giving jedi's "double lightsaber" or "lightsaber staffs" that were frowned upon since they are a tool of <TERROR> for giving a wider arch to cut your enemies down. Most Jedis who used the tool itself became darkside becouse jedi council hated them that much. Instead you could have given them sentinels, sages, an entirely new hybrid class. For example what is wrong with just having a lightrobe purely melee class for both trees with jedi sorcerors with one going healing/ranged nukes/ ranged dots and one going melee tanking (Using speed rather then strenght and knowledge) / Precission dps (Highly accurate hits meaning higher burts) / Nimblity dps (Higher DPS output and defensive skills to help against aoe damage, no big numbers but longer hit streaks and steady supply of dot damage)

This would mean that Sith Marauder unfortunately would have been thrown out and in place we could have had similiar choises on the otherside.

Just... My powertech story is So much better then trooper... But troopers are more appealing gameplay wise (and gearwise).

A two-handed weapon would look daft on a bounty hunter, considering the number of gadgets(and consequent animations) in your arsenal; think about your wrist rockets, flame thrower, flame sweep, grapple, or rail shot animations, how clumsy and unnatural would they look when you're constantly switching your rifle into one hand? It makes no sense for a bounty hunter to have such an awkward weapon when he has all those other offensive abilities at his disposal and it would make all those awesome animations look ugly as hell, too.

You support the weapon by one hand by a foregrip or barrel when you shoot. Shotguns and carbines don't have to be huge they can be short and light meaning you can do the same animations. If you look at for example stormtrooper weapons they are not huge, what your thinking of rifles are something like in clonewars.

Huge edit:

Well upon thinking for a few seconsd I figured part of the problem is that the blaster pistol seems to begin with out of place. If FOR LOOT REASONS ALONE you want us to keep using pistols then can we atleast have a special model that is an expansion over bracers that hides the actual pistol itself? The point is that even if its hidden inside the armor when its not firing its considerably more menacing for tanks.

Edited by Sohtaraz