The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Nerf Incoming?

Halofax

Hi guys, I am a player on The Deadweight.

I have noticed, that even with full tanking spec, i can still top pvp damage, and i facesmash my way through pvp. I have also noticed that my class has more defense than a guardian, more taunts than a guardian, and generally is just a better tank all around.

I recently unlocked Storm, and at this point in pvp, if the enemy isnt a Bounty hunter, he WILL get locked and i will kill him.

Should I expect a nerf? Especially with this heavy migration of Republic players to Commando?

There should be no reason for a nerf, the vanguard is the swtor analog to a prot warrior, more utility and more complexity than the other tanks at the expense of a more difficult playstyle. PvP is usually more about control and timing than raw dps output so there is nothing wrong with a tank having top damage output in a warzone.

I suspect the guardian and shadow can tank just as effectively in pve but do so with less utility and a simpler playstyle.

With the BH comparison, if its anything like the other classes a BH should be identical to a trooper mechanics and abilities wise, just with different names and slightly different equipment (and without an auto-attack its easy to balance the numbers so that a merc with 2 pistols has the same dps/hps as a commando with a cannon if their stats/spec is the same). A powertech should play exactly the same as a vanguard just with different ability names and a pistol instead of a rifle.

The total damage in warzones is deceiving. Tanks can get higher than usual numbers, because they live longer than other, more squishy classes. With a healer, they can often stay in the combat for the whole game, racking up their total damage score. And on top of that, Vanguards are best AOE tanks in the game. More cheap points for the score table.

Put a DPS build in a premade with a healer and a tank, so he can go all out...and I am sure he will be able to outdamage his tank.

The reason vanguards top damage charts is because they stick around and do damange over a longer period of time. You will notice that you probably dont make many death blows however because you dont have the burst damage to do it.

There is certainly no reason for a nerfing and stop giving the dimwits at bioware ideas for crying out loud.

First to be nerfed will most likely be Operative/Scoundrel, they are killing level 50 people with expertise gear in the opening stun, happens to me all the time, can't do anything against them. 15k hp, 300 expertise and you just die in 3-4 seconds to them.

I don't think vanguard/powertech will be nerfed, they feel rather balanced to me. Operative/Scoundrel and Marauder/Sentinels have so extreme dps at 50, it's absurd.

my guess for 1st class to be nerfed is the Sorcerer. My only reasoning is that I run into 5 or more in every single warzone.

Commonality doesn't mean OP.

I rolled Sorc because it was the only class I could be a Twi'lek on within Sith.

That cause for a nerf, sir?

Hi guys, I am a player on The Deadweight.

I have noticed, that even with full tanking spec, i can still top pvp damage, and i facesmash my way through pvp. I have also noticed that my class has more defense than a guardian, more taunts than a guardian, and generally is just a better tank all around.

I recently unlocked Storm, and at this point in pvp, if the enemy isnt a Bounty hunter, he WILL get locked and i will kill him.

Should I expect a nerf? Especially with this heavy migration of Republic players to Commando?

You must not know any decently geared JKs. They easily will out do you in Def. I have almost 700 def rating, our JK has almost 600 and he beats me by def chance easily. The 16% armor does not even compare to almost 10% chance to completely dodge. NTM we have no tanking cds, reactive shield being the only remotely close one, compare that to what JKs have.

As far as damage, no where close to a well played JK. In PVE JK are just better all the way around, how do you get a ranged mob to come to melee? Harpoon right? JKs just have to hit them because mobs use the weapons there attackers use, therefore they auto melee.

PVP, who knows, until every one in the bracket is 50, no way to tell.

Everyone is discounting "Total Damage Output" as a viable metric with such faulty logic.

"Yeah he did a lot of damage.... But what did he do to help WIN?"

Like because there is no direct correlation between the two the metric itself is useless.

Let me counter that with some phrases you will never hear

"So he put up 200 yards... but what did he do to help WIN?"

"So he got on base every at bat... but what did he do to help WIN?"

You must not know any decently geared JKs. They easily will out do you in Def. I have almost 700 def rating, our JK has almost 600 and he beats me by def chance easily. The 16% armor does not even compare to almost 10% chance to completely dodge. NTM we have no tanking cds, reactive shield being the only remotely close one, compare that to what JKs have.

As far as damage, no where close to a well played JK. In PVE JK are just better all the way around, how do you get a ranged mob to come to melee? Harpoon right? JKs just have to hit them because mobs use the weapons there attackers use, therefore they auto melee.

PVP, who knows, until every one in the bracket is 50, no way to tell.

What are you talking about? What ever it is, I don't think you've got all the facts. JK and VG can tank equally. Both are great choices for pve and pvp. 10% to dodge? Well my vanguard have 11%, over 50% in mitigation etc etc.

Yes, JK have more "oh ****"-buttons, but vanguards have more damage mitigation, nothing you can argue against. It's a fact. Don't take anectdotes for facts please. If you want "oh ****"-buttons for your VG, I strongly recommend getting biochem. Problem solved.

Yes, JK have more "oh ****"-buttons, but vanguards have more damage mitigation, nothing you can argue against. It's a fact. Don't take anectdotes for facts please. If you want "oh ****"-buttons for your VG, I strongly recommend getting biochem. Problem solved.

That's it.

Also, vanguards has range if needed and are also still useful at range - which makes them effective in some boss fights where non-MT shouldn't stay melee. It is also the reason why vanguard seems to do so much damage in pvp (that and the amount of aoes with have).

You guys are clueless, feel free to learn some math.

If you want to rule a class as sub-par due to some math which you do not provide, that's entirely up to you. Coming here being an idiot about it is not the right way though. But it seems you can't play the class and got beaten once and decided JK is overpowered, right?

Everyone is discounting "Total Damage Output" as a viable metric with such faulty logic.

Like because there is no direct correlation between the two the metric itself is useless.

Let me counter that with some phrases you will never hear

Stupid post is stupid.

PVP is all about burst damage. Once people get below a certain percentage of health they usually:

1. Run away to regen health.

2. Get healed.

3. Get burst down and die.

Vanguards are fairly tough. They spend a lot of time on target. That does not mean they are always doing effective damage.

Let's put it this way.

Would you rather bring a class that does lots of damage in little chunks but rarely kills people. Or would you bring the class that is pretty much guaranteed to drop someone but does less overall damage.

This is not PVE. Sustained (trash aoe) DPS means crap. Burst is king. Killing people is what matters. Vanguards do not go around killing people inside of a CC.

Since we are talking about classes being overpowered. Doing lots of total damage is a terrible metric to judge such a thing.

Edited by Krabcakes

... The 16% armor does not even compare to almost 10% chance to completely dodge. NTM we have no tanking cds, reactive shield being the only remotely close one, compare that to what JKs have.

So spike damage is BETTER for a tank? cd's are great ( and vanguards DO get the smoke grenade on a 1 min. cd plus the shield on a 2 min. cd) but for tanking or pvp don't discount high armor and absorption ( both help me when I'm CC'd while cd's don't ), not that JK's don't have both . I don't feel vanguards are lacking in survivability, a little more burst damage would be great, but that's because I'm a tank and not a commando so it's to be expected.

Same deal with IB in Warhammer. I used to play one and died about 1/3 compared to other classes and I was in top 4 damage-wise; so the high damage comes from the fact that vanguards can stay alive longer and when in trouble throw a CC and run away and heal :D

Troopers are fine but jedis suck balls, even Taugrim says jedis/sith warriors are the crappiest class in the game for both pvp and pve.

Taugrim is an internet personality. Who cares?

On topic: I think there are "nerfs" coming for every class. We're a few weeks into the game and there are glaring issues across the board.

Edited by Stigas

On topic: I think there are "nerfs" coming for every class. We're a few weeks into the game and there are glaring issues across the board.

Quoting for truth. If I kill someone out in the game world I can force them to return to a med center. EVERY TIME. This is more a finger point at the stealth provided after a med probe gets ya back up.

Oorus Drenn - 50 Shieldguard on The Fatman

P.S. I am loving the vanguard overall. PvP or PvE we seem to have a tool for just about anything.

Edited by Gertbeefrobe