The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Surname's Unique?! Are you Kidding Me?!!!

oblongship

people are wasting customer supports time with a name they picked? no wonder wait times are so long, oh well gotta wait for the special people to stop crying over a name they can turn off

Aww... they're having to do their jobs? Excuse me while I go in a corner and sob uncontrollably because they're obligated to respond to legitimate requests.

And, hell, if deleting all the characters on a server was actually a way to reset the Legacy Name, then they wouldn't have to deal with my demands that they change mine, now would they?

ORLY? What MMO's do YOU normally play?

EQ, EQ2, WoW, LOTRO, DAoC, SWG.... So, what game was that that doesn't have surnames?...

But I digress... I really hope they AREN'T finished with the Legacy system because as I've posted before, I keep wanting to compliment this game but all the little things really annoy the hec out of me.

WoW has surnames... What? What MMO were YOU playing and what were you smoking at the time?

Edited by ckoneful

Coming at this from an RP perspective it's a really bad decision on BW's part and is another example of how little they really understand RP and what it really is.

To have the same surname that applies to a Twi'lek, Chiss and a Sith is ill thought out. They have very different naming conventions. Denying different surnames to our characters is irritating.

If BW want to have a system where gathering points applies to all characters on a server, then why not follow LotRO's policy for Destiny points? No single surname, but points are still accrued across all the characters on that server.

It's just one more thing that makes me shake my head over a game that seems to miss the point for one that's supposed to be aimed at RPers: no interaction with seating or beds, no chat bubbles, emotes with no animations (how often do you fall asleep standing upright?).

The same surname across all 8 characters, regardless of race or faction, is another example of little understanding of what roleplay is.

Edited by Jeia

Simple solution to this. Get together with your friends/family and decide on a common word to include before/after the unique legacy name, separating the two with an apostrophe. (IE Zell'kara, Teff'kara, Cadmius'kara etc.).

The plus side of that is that you get both uniqueness and uniformity.

Personally I like that my Legacy surname is mine and mine alone.

There is a reason its called the Legacy system. Im building MY Legacy with all that I have done and accomplished with the characters that I have created, and thats what the unique surname is for. So that my Legacy stands out from the rest.

I dont think I would like my Legacy to include every other joe on my server.

I like the fact that my last name is unique to my server. It means that if you see the last name on a character you know it's me not just some idiot who showed up 3 months from now, saw my last name, thought it was cool and took it as well.

Really on this issue it's not black and white, no matter which way they went people weren't going to be happy. For every person who is mad they can't share names with their friends, you have others who are glad that their last name is unique and would be upset if it were the other way.

Now I understand you are upset by this, but like many of these complaint threads, it seems the OP hasn't even bothered to consider the other side of what they are asking for.

Edited by StarMagus

Coming at this from an RP perspective it's a really bad decision on BW's part and is another example of how little they really understand RP and what it really is.

To have the same surname that applies to a Twi'lek, Chiss and a Sith is ill thought out. They have very different naming conventions. Denying different surnames to our characters is irritating.

If BW want to have a system where gathering points applies to all characters on a server, then why not follow LotRO's policy for Destiny points? No single surname, but points are still accrued across all the characters on that server.

It's just one more thing that makes me shake my head over a game that seems to miss the point for one that's supposed to be aimed at RPers: no interaction with seating or beds, no chat bubbles, emotes with no animations (how often do you fall asleep standing upright?).

This, right here, x1000. Hit the nail on the head, you did. :csw_yoda:

Edited by AJediKnight

ORLY? What MMO's do YOU normally play?

EQ, EQ2, WoW, LOTRO, DAoC, SWG.... So, what game was that that doesn't have surnames?...

But I digress... I really hope they AREN'T finished with the Legacy system because as I've posted before, I keep wanting to compliment this game but all the little things really annoy the hec out of me.

Titles arent Surnames.

Since im guessing thats why the first 5 are on there. No. those arent surnames.

The same surname across all 8 characters, regardless of race or faction, is another example of little understanding of what roleplay is.

Winning.

If you want people to be able to identify you and your friends as a cohesive unit of players with shared goals, shouldn't you... I don't know... START A GUILD?

The purpose of the Legacy system is for people to be able to identify alts as belonging to the same player IF and ONLY IF that player desires.

The Legacy system is designed for you and your alt characters, it seems BioWare are really pinning their hopes on people constantly rolling an alt. Hence very little end game content.

The Legacy system does not care about your friends or your wife. Sorry.

Except for, you know, the two operations, the hardcore mode of every instance leveling up, the instanced PvP, the world PvP, the dedicated PvP zones......there's plenty of end-game content. And it will only increase. And oddly enough, unless you're completely unable to get xp for legacy when you hit 50....last I checked this wasn't the case....they're absolutely not pinning their hopes on alts.

Just wanted to point out, you should really double check that whole "no animations for emotes" bit. There are quite a few that do. And chat bubbles are quite easily overcome through custom tabs. So perhaps you're being a bit hasty in your statements on Bioware's apathy.

Personally, I actually like the legacy system over the destiny points bit from LoTRO. I also like that they allowed you to show the legacy title as a surname, as a title, or omit it completely. But that's just me.

Edited by Jxspyder

I just had to say thank you for this post.

You hit the nail on the head.

The other VERY annoying thing about it is the fact I DONT want to pick a name rightn ow...but everytime I zone, hit escape, go through any door...BAM the screen is in my face.

Edited by oblongship

I like the fact that a surname identifies all characters played by a person. Of course that's assuming only one player is playing on that account in a specific server.

I understand the desire to want to create basically a family of characters played by different ppl all with the same surname, but other than roleplay it doesn't serve much purpose does it? You seem to want to use it to identify a group of people, but you can already do that with a Guild.

And in response to an inquiry made above (which I don't feel like quoting) to my knowledge WoW does not have surnames. At least it didn't from vanilla to wrath. Aion is another MMO that I don't believe had surnames.