The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Story can't make up for the grind

Electroflux

Unfortunately, this game has an amazing story, specifically on my Sith Warrior. The only problem is it's hard to enjoy it when you have to constantly keep doing meaningless tasks to gain you xp. Before you say, "Well, there's voice-overs and they explain why you're doing it" it doesn't matter. Whether I can have someone explain something to me or not, I keep doing the same repeated style quests over and over.

If you want to talk about immersion, these quests ruin it, the entire game. I want to see more and the end of my class quest line but I can't just work my way through agonizing quests such as "kill x 10 times" or "collect x 15" Then proceed to do bonus quests, which are optional but are so useful they make you feel required to do them, which are typically all grind quests.

An idea to increase interest in quests that are there to just level you up, is to make dynamic events or to increase the entertainment value of the quest, such as, boarding a ship, fighting your way through republic/empire forces an infiltrate a certain ship/area. These, of course would take more time but you could increase the experience value of the quest to make up for the lack of quests (or maybe not) there is because of these.

I just can't keep attempting to play an MMORPG where, like I said, unfortunately, have to keep doing meaningless quests to level up so I can enjoy the part of the game. Since I don't think this game is ever going to change this, I don't feel the need to play it anymore unless I somehow find the desire to push through this chaos.

Also, increase activity on the planet, stale NPC's standing around and just groups of enemy npc's standing around don't really make you feel like you're apart of something epic/big. It's more like "here's the npc's that you need to talk to, here's the npc's you have to kill, here's some boxes you have to collect, here's your xp." It just never ends and I'm extremely disappointed but I'm starting to lose faith in MMORPGs that keep following this same formula where you feel like you're doing more work then having fun.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to play Saints Row the third. You are burnt out on mmo's.

Actually, I did play that and I don't really like that game either.

Although, you are probably right...I feel like MMO's are just a never-ending copy paste to me now and I'm soo tired of dedicating so much time to them when I'm really not having that much fun. I just want to see max level, but getting there is taking ages.

Not understanding your point that this game doesn't have what it actually does have and has what it doesn't- please explain more as I am having a bad time trying to work it out. One example I give is the side quest line you get in Drommund Kaas that eventually gives u a title "- The Revanite" Wasn't going to do it (pesky waste of time side quests) was very surprised when I finished and got title. Edited by Aroseby

What grind?

This.

Grinding generally means wandering around and killing random stuff becasue you cant quest.

Here, if you do all the quests, chances are you'll be well over level for the planet by the time you leave. I have only done 1 heroic on my SA and I'm 2 levels above where I'm supposed to be starting on Alderaan.

I just can't keep attempting to play an MMORPG where, like I said, unfortunately, have to keep doing meaningless quests to level up so I can enjoy the part of the game. Since I don't think this game is ever going to change this, I don't feel the need to play it anymore unless I somehow find the desire to push through this chaos.

The sad thing is that you are complaining about the core of what an MMORPG really is these days. Thats the successful model. They're all grinds and TOR's story is just about the only thing that has been done to distract you from that.

The only alternative to this is to do the SWG thing of user focused content which sadly is far less popular compared to 'the grind'. I personally like both, I'd probably be a big SWG guy if it was still around pre NGE, but thats all history.

Mainstream gaming is all about grinds as far as MMOs are concerned. You want an alternative you better go play some niche game. This is how they do it and they make PLENTY of money off of 'the grind' so really, while you may not enjoy it, its insanely profitable compared to the alternative.

Not understanding your point that this game doesn't have what it actually does have and has what it doesn't- please explain more as I am having a bad time trying to work it out

Basically the side quests are collect or killing a certain amount.

They never change, ever. I don't expect them to ever change up to level 50 either and because of this they feel like more of a grind rather then entertainment or enjoyment. They are there mainly just for experience to get your character moving and the class quest line is more of what the game is about. But to enjoy the class quest line, you're required to do these atrocious quests over and over a thousand times just to repeat the same lines and get points.

The sad thing is that you are complaining about the core of what an MMORPG really is these days. Thats the successful model. They're all grinds and TOR's story is just about the only thing that has been done to distract you from that.

The only alternative to this is to do the SWG thing of user focused content which sadly is far less popular compared to 'the grind'. I personally like both, I'd probably be a big SWG guy if it was still around pre NGE, but thats all history.

Mainstream gaming is all about grinds as far as MMOs are concerned. You want an alternative you better go play some niche game. This is how they do it and they make PLENTY of money off of 'the grind' so really, while you may not enjoy it, its insanely profitable compared to the alternative.

Well, I guess the impression I get from them is that this game is also pretty linear. In WoW for example, you had alternate things to do and some zones specified for my level where I wasn't required to follow a set path. Dungeon Finder also was another alternate. In this game, I'm required to go to these certain planets to progress further, therefore I feel like I have no freedom on how to build my character which also makes these repetitious quests seem even more repetitious.

I guess I was just hoping for a more epic Star Wars feel with this game and maybe I was looking for something a little more original and different since it is now 2012 versus a lot of old-time MMORPG's. Maybe I just got my hopes up for something that was unrealistic.

I agree completely with the op, ive already said the same thing in some other topics and dont mind these people pretending and yes i say pretending there is no grind (sorry i say grind but i really mean this in terms of a grind as you are doing the same quest with no variation this turns it from fun into a grind) because you know very well this game is the same quest from level 1 to 50 go kill 10, 20, 30 mobs click box x for bonus. And its the most blatant use of one quest ive ever seen in any mmo THIS IS STAR WARS i keep thinking this every time i see the same quest mechanic over and over and the best bioware could do was make you repeat the same quest over and over.

What a disappointing use of the star wars ip, what a utter lack of imagination and effort.

Pretend it isnt there all you like but myself and many others can see it, and dont expect this game to have a large player base because i see no chance that bioware is going to change this aspect of the game.

also to those who are saying it is the "core of a mmo" please tell me what mmo makes you literally do the exact same quest over and over ? i have played every mmo with the exception of rift and all of those games had more to do that the exact same kill quest and "bonus" option. Your just deluding yourself if you say other wise.

Edited by ItsTheDale

Only annoying part I thought of was the Bonus quests, they always seemed like a Grind in my eyes, the only ones I bothered doing were the one with several stages, cause they actually gave decent XP and rewards at the end.

I'm not gonna grind 40 mobs for 6.5k XP from finishing it.

MMO require time management or you will get burnt out. If all you do is quest on one character for a huge amount of time it will become unenjoyable. I like to alternate between different character, mix in pvp and instances, and take breaks and I am having a blast in game. Edited by TimboFisher

I don't see it.

Bonus Series: Kill 35 Rogue Droids, Kill 60 Rogue Droids and then go kill the Master Rogue Droid (that you passed about a half hour ago.) Pretty grindy, more-so that anything WoW pitched at you.

Now with that said, they are bonus, optional quests. If you don't do them, you aren't losing out on much.