Do you think story is really what MMO players want?

SnoopyDoo

I played to 80, but it is a famous quote for anyone whomever played it especially in the early days.

Also I suggest you understand my comment ok? my point is, I hate the fact everyone said, rightly so, "game starts at 60", but SWTOR's problem is, "game ends at 50". That is my opinion.

I understand your problem. I just dont think a game needs to be about endgame. But then. Non-raider, non-serious pvper, here.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take away the story and the game has nothing, sorry to break ittoyou, one of the reasons I don't look back after quitting over bad CS, I already played main story, twice, everything else in my opinion is boring and crap compared to every other MMO I ever played.

In WoW game starts at 60, in SWTOR game ends at 50...

Hmmm, take away the main selling point?

So, when is Blizz implementing those Hero classes?

I played to 80, but it is a famous quote for anyone whomever played it especially in the early days.

Also I suggest you understand my comment ok? my point is, I hate the fact everyone said, rightly so, "game starts at 60", but SWTOR's problem is, "game ends at 50". That is my opinion.

I played it in the early days. After 60 there was onxyia and molten core, that was all. And both were buggy and problematic.

Oddly enough Blizzard kept adding content to the game on an ongoing basis...

Do you think this could possibly be a strategy that Bioware has in mind for TOR? Just maybe...

And its wrong but your right your free to feel that way.

Keeping people entertained from 1-50 is not a bad gig. Also if you don't like the story driven game maybe you should have read the box again then put it down before setting yourself up for disappointment.

The Story drives me and keeps me interested..... For people that dont like the story, why play this game??? Some people think every care should be the same color and drive the same way too..... Bioware made this game a certain way, some wont like it, too bad.

I never used space bar, finished bounty hunter main story plus all bonus series and done fp's etc dailespvp what not find datacrons... also played smuggler high level.

Now when story is over=game is over, unless Bioware and EA can push out new story content that is well written with voice overs on frequentl basis this game could never last just because of story and justify a sub each month. All the restof the game is broken, bad, terrible or at best mediocre compared to all of the competition. Sorry, bye bye

I never used space bar, finished bounty hunter main story plus all bonus series and done fp's etc dailespvp what not find datacrons... also played smuggler high level.

Now when story is over=game is over, unless Bioware and EA can push out new story content that is well written with voice overs on frequentl basis this game could never last just because of story and justify a sub each month. All the restof the game is broken, bad, terrible or at best mediocre compared to all of the competition. Sorry, bye bye

I think I am going to take the gamble of calling you a liar. Flat out.

I have to expect you either camped 24/7 at your computer to finish every last quest, and watch every last cut-scene. Or you have some powers of time manipulation.

No I think I am just going to go with, it's easy to make up stories to support your position.

And its wrong but your right your free to feel that way.

Keeping people entertained from 1-50 is not a bad gig. Also if you don't like the story driven game maybe you should have read the box again then put it down before setting yourself up for disappointment.

repeating so that you and the other 4 actually GET and understand my point. So this game starts at level 1 instead of 60, great, I love it, but when it ends at 50 you have a whole bunch of new problems don't you? same in nature yes? you just reversed the order for when game ends, problem is it will be harder for Bioware to add content compared to WoW. Nigh impossible I say!

I think I am going to take the gamble of calling you a liar. Flat out.

I have to expect you either camped 24/7 at your computer to finish every last quest, and watch every last cut-scene. Or you have some powers of time manipulation.

No I think I am just going to go with, it's easy to make up stories to support your position.

Calling me a liar? I played 100% according to Biowares design and I did not have to space bar or lie to you on a forum...

dps spec, goplanet to planet, do bonus series within its level range, doall bonuses on quests, group when running into people on same quest, do heroics if asked to come, go fromplanet to planet according to level range, only thing I deviated on was doing bonus series of belsavis? the level 50 one from 47 to 48 then go to corr.

Edited by TheHirogen

STORY is what sold me.

It may not have sold you, it may not have sold EVERY MMO player, but there are those of us out there that are just FINE with it.

The whole key to the game is story. I mean, that's how SW came to be, STORY.

Bioware is absolutely GRAND at one thing, STORY. This is a Bioware game, so, expecting them NOT to do what they're beautiful at is just wrong. This is their key, and it's what they're known for.

I am sorry to have to say tl;dr, but i did read your "main point"

I am not sure if anyone has already said this, but I do not think Bioware was working to add to/evolve the MMO field of games specifically

What they were working on with this game was to add to the much loved Knight of the Old Republic RPG games series:

1: multi-player to what was generally a single player game.

2: get the monthly fee thing going for a constant $ stream

Both I and II were very popular and used the engine from NeverWinter Knights

to make a single player, party based RPG game in the Star Wars universe.

I highly recommend them both if you have not played them. Though of course they are older and will have graphics that do not meet today's standards.

But from just one day of play I can already see the similarities here, which include some of the interface, info displays, character sheet, and more.

So i think what you see in this game is not so much Bioware working to evolve the MMO game as they are working to...I'll call it evolve, the RPG game.

As far as your question goes...well not to sound rude, but no i don't think your average MMO player is really interested in much more than numbers, graphics, and grind time.

Otherwise someone would have already done that. After all a lot of $, market research, and dev work is in MMO games today. So it's not likely that the major MMO companies are just missing the target somehow.

Personally i have yet to find an MMO that keeps me interested like a good plot line story driven RPG game can.

I came here for the Knights of the Old Republic RPG fix, not the MMO aspects really, and so far it looks like they may deliver* for what i want.

*only played a few hours really so judgment is still forth coming, but it is off to a decent start i think.

i had no interest in WoW or the 'so called comptetion' before SWTOR came out so why would i care what that old tired game hs now that sWTOR is out?

Ok whatever, stupid fanboys can't ever discuss a problem relating to anything without personal attacks and slander, hence the word fan=fanatic...

pot, meet kettle.

You troll , and expect people not to do the same, really?

Play nice, others will play nice with you.

All your posts come off as my opinion is fact and you expect intelligent replies?

I said "my opinion", reply I got was "I don't believe anyone can get to level 50 after 3 weeks without space bar because I play 1 hour a day and suck at it!", yes you are right, how wrong of me to expect intelligence on these forums especially from people paying a subscription still.

Enjoy your love fest, don't whine when you get bored out of your mind within a week or 2, which is expected length of a single player RPG, which this is in the sense "Game ends at 50".

I found that the story and voice acting kept me engaged with the levelling process more than in other games, WoW included. It was more emmersive, in general. If I have to waste my time (in character) collecting 6 droid parts, you've better haver a darned good reason why I should do that for you instead of frying you like an egg for my amusement.

I found that this was indeed the case, and in some cases I actually DID get the option to fry the questgiver for wasting my time or acting like a coward. That was pretty cool, IMO.

Ok whatever, stupid fanboys can't ever discuss a problem relating to anything without personal attacks and slander, hence the word fan=fanatic...

If you actually looked at my post history you would see I have had many critical points about the game in the past.

In fact I nearly gave it a pass and didn't buy it.

Doesn't change the fact that I flat out do not believe you sat there and watched every last cut-scene possible in that time-frame.

Edited by savagepotato

mmo"RPG"

Role Playing Game

To have a role, you need a STORY, this is the BASIS of all RPG's.

If you dont want a story go play something like Jedi Academy Multiplayer

To be fair, jedi academyjk 3 was way more fun multiplayer than this game, same with SWG and SW battlefront 1 and 2.

One of my draws to this game (other than simply being Star Wars) was that it was a BioWare story-driven game. I've greatly enjoyed BioWare's other games which had wonderful stories, and I was intrigued by the idea of my MMO character actually having a personality and background.

I played WoW for nearly 5 years, and never had the connection with my character that I already have with my sniper.

I have not been let down by SWTOR regards to the story.

I said "my opinion", reply I got was "I don't believe anyone can get to level 50 after 3 weeks without space bar because I play 1 hour a day and suck at it!", yes you are right, how wrong of me to expect intelligence on these forums especially from people paying a subscription still.

Enjoy your love fest, don't whine when you get bored out of your mind within a week or 2, which is expected length of a single player RPG, which this is in the sense "Game ends at 50".

Grats on doing just what you complained about. Yup you are the mature one around here.

Edited by TheHeadCapper

If you actually looked at my post history you would see I have had many critical points about the game in the past.

In fact I nearly gave it a pass and didn't buy it.

Doesn't change the fact that I flat out do not believe you sat there and watched every last cuts-cene possible in that time-frame.

Well I did and you continuing to say that I didn't is not only stupid but does not answer my argument or help yours in any way other than showing people that a, you are clueless and b, resort to accusations and whatnot when faced with an argument, something majority of this community does, and anyone checking these forums out and reading posts and threads here will run away faster than you can say "troll!"

You really can't see how an MMO would generate enough income to allow for high-quality end-game content to keep you entertained?

Really?

Yes, really. I don't want to repeatedly raid the same instances, do the same flashpoints, or in any way shape or form grind for points/gear. Their business model is very resource intensive. How long did it take them to create all the different story arcs for each class? That content will, at most, last a few months, by which time they will need to have produced a whole lot more.

Which is fine, because I only picked up this game with the intention of playing through the available story line and then dropping it the moment I ran out of content.

Maybe they will prove me wrong. We'll see.