Weekly server maintenance EU times?

Crenshaw

That's assuming a single maintenance schedule. We want 2 schedules. Leave the one for the American servers as it is, impacting as few people as possible, and introduce a schedule for the European servers as well so that maintenance takes place during the night.

That way as few people as possible are affected in BOTH regions of the world. There's no way shifting the schedule from smack in the middle of the day to well past midnight will suddently affect more people.

Thats it ! Is easy to understand no?

Edited by Erelenko

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With seperate maintenance windows, people from the US(night time players) can play on the EU servers and the other way around when servers are down. Wich should be a more fruitful experience if you only have the option to play at night anyway.

I was asked that before and my reply was 'does EU really, really want the US players invading their server and raising the queue lines during maint? You do realize that by the US simply making alts would off balance how many players on each server were actually playing on a daily basis. The same would happen when EU plays on US servers. Since this is considered a "prime time" play time for EU I suspect it would affect EU more than US with queue lines.

Then you get the posts along the lines of "Stupid Americans invading our servers during their downtime increases queue!!!" "5hr queue during US downtime! BW FIX!" Then, that leads to topics asking BW to separate the clients so that US can't join EU and visa-verse and then the list goes on with those that were in US loosing all the work they put into their character on an EU server and visa-verse. How does BW fix the lost characters? Well, then they will have to develop a system to move all the players to a different server.

In the long run it's more problematic than it's worth.

That's assuming a single maintenance schedule. We want 2 schedules. Leave the one for the American servers as it is, impacting as few people as possible, and introduce a schedule for the European servers as well so that maintenance takes place during the night.

That way as few people as possible are affected in BOTH regions of the world. There's no way shifting the schedule from smack in the middle of the day to well past midnight will suddently affect more people.

To me Bioware seem to be stuck in the past. This is exactly the kind of treatment you would expect in the past. To even get servers in europe for many MPOGS was a battle. This game was supposed to be a step forward not a step back.

I was asked that before and my reply was 'does EU really, really want the US players invading their server and raising the queue lines during maint? You do realize that by the US simply making alts would off balance how many players on each server were actually playing on a daily basis. The same would happen when EU plays on US servers. Since this is considered a "prime time" play time for EU I suspect it would affect EU more than US with queue lines.

Then you get the posts along the lines of "Stupid Americans invading our servers during their downtime increases queue!!!" "5hr queue during US downtime! BW FIX!" Then, that leads to topics asking BW to separate the clients so that US can't join EU and visa-verse and then the list goes on with those that were in US loosing all the work they put into their character on an EU server and visa-verse. How does BW fix the lost characters? Well, then they will have to develop a system to move all the players to a different server.

hehe 99.99999999% of the players would be sleeping and dreaming with katy perry (:o)while swtor is in maintenance not invaiding the each others servers.

US downtime is done when LEAST people are playing ie.sleeping,if they are sleeping why would they want to join a EU server? and visa-versa.

Lets just turn it around then and see what you americans would say if the maintenance was from 10am and 8 hours forward. After all, it does not seem to be a problem for you people. So BW should just go ahead with that, then let us see the complaints on the forum from your side of the pond.

So, then we can twist that some more.

Now, those in EU that play during the night (like I mentioned earlier) are screwed as well. Again, why so worried about what the Americans do all of a sudden? This downtime affects me as well, it happens during my play time. Like I said, I find other things to do. Which, I might add is really a pain because it is during the 3am-11am time. From 3-8am nothing is open. At least in EU during downtime you can go out and do something.

Personally, I'm ok with changing the time from 8am to 5pm. Suits me just fine. I cant' speak for the rest of America because I don't represent all of them.

Sigh... The maintenance would be at night, from 3 AM to 11 AM or so. Do you really believe so many people would still be adamant to play during that time that you can talk of "invading the other continent's servers"?

So, then we can twist that some more.

Now, those in EU that play during the night (like I mentioned earlier) are screwed as well. Again, why so worried about what the Americans do all of a sudden? This downtime affects me as well, it happens during my play time. Like I said, I find other things to do. Which, I might add is really a pain because it is during the 3am-11am time. From 3-8am nothing is open. At least in EU during downtime you can go out and do something.

Personally, I'm ok with changing the time from 8am to 5pm. Suits me just fine. I cant' speak for the rest of America because I don't represent all of them.

But jesus how many people do you belive that play this at 3am here in europe, just keep awake this night and you will see all the servers light

Sorry, never noticed problems with logging in on EU servers at 5-6am after the cap was raised.

I am not completely sure where you are getting the 'prime time' numbers from. The game is still in such a young state, that BW cannot possibly have put their scheduele around 'prime time' statistics. Why do you think WoW and other MMO's are having seperate maint windows for EU/US? Could the reason be that prime time is different in different timezones?

Or perhaps SW:TOR is such a special title that all the EU players shift their priorities and gametime patterns? :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by iorlas

US downtime is done when LEAST people are playing ie.sleeping,if they are sleeping why would they want to join a EU server? and visa-versa.

Again easy to understand but for some people it seems hard

A lot of people could agree with the entire quote. Because EU downtime is done when the LEAST (according to official posts) people are playing it IE.working.whatever. How hard is that to understand? The problem is that those who are affected by it don't understand that and just nag about it. EA/BW basically said that the EU downtime is currently during the minority. Then when someone says "hey, it's during the time when the least players are actually playing." people ignore it and just continue to nag.

I seriously thought a lot of EU had more self respect than to nag about something so trivial. It is what it is for now. Will it change? I don't know. I kind of do hope it does in the long run though. For now it is just something to work through, something to deal with and rise above the hate. I've seen EU posts simply hate on US for what the company is doing. The US players haven't done anything to come up with this decision that EA/BW made. But as long as people keep lump summing US players in with the decisions of a handful of people at EA/BW you bet your *** I'll speak up.

ok let me throw my 2cents worth in here.

If you went to a 7-11 and bought a 6pack of beer/soda/[enter your beverage here] Paid for said item and as the clerk was putting it a bag he took one of the cans away:eek:, would you be happy? or would you ask for the 6 cans you had paid for?

Well thats whats happening to most of the EU players, we are paying for 7 days but only getting to play for 6 with the current Maintance times.

A lot of people could agree with the entire quote. Because EU downtime is done when the LEAST (according to official posts) people are playing it IE.working.whatever. How hard is that to understand? The problem is that those who are affected by it don't understand that and just nag about it. EA/BW basically said that the EU downtime is currently during the minority. Then when someone says "hey, it's during the time when the least players are actually playing." people ignore it and just continue to nag.

I seriously thought a lot of EU had more self respect than to nag about something so trivial. It is what it is for now. Will it change? I don't know. I kind of do hope it does in the long run though. For now it is just something to work through, something to deal with and rise above the hate. I've seen EU posts simply hate on US for what the company is doing. The US players haven't done anything to come up with this decision that EA/BW made. But as long as people keep lump summing US players in with the decisions of a handful of people at EA/BW you bet your *** I'll speak up.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that you belive there are less people playing between 8AM -5PM than 3AM-11AM,i think you will find that the majority of the EU will not be playing in the early hours of the morning.

You don't understand. American and European daily routines are the same, we all work during the day and we all sleep during the night (well, barring exceptions). So logically, daytime is not when least people are playing, otherwise American maintenance would also be during the day. But it's not... Even the team working on the servers would be working in America, and they'd be more expensive during the night than during the day, no? Then why not save money and have maintenance during the day? It would be cheaper and you just said yourself that fewest people play during the day, as opposed to during the night.

So just stop raging and think for a second, and realise that BioWare's decision makes little to no sense.

Really do you believe that there is less people playing during the day than the night, we are not vampires , at least not the most of ours.

You utterly miss the point.

Its being done when the least number GLOBALLY are playing.

It is, however, not when the least number of people are playing on the European servers.

Sorry, never noticed problems with logging in on EU servers at 5-6am after the cap was raised.

I am not completely sure where you are getting the 'prime time' numbers from. The game is still in such a young state, that BW cannot possibly have put their scheduele around 'prime time' statistics. Why do you think WoW and other MMO's are having seperate maint windows for EU/US? Could the reason be that prime time is different in different timezones?

Or perhaps SW:TOR is such a special title that all the EU players shift their priorities and gametime patterns? :o

I was going by the hypothetical numbers I posted earlier. But, I do agree with the red part. Maybe it is still just to early to fully determine what the best time is yet. Perhaps this is being done temporarily while they collect enough data to reschedule the maintenance that better reflects the lowest population times. It's just to early to tell and why can't we give them a bit of time to get that information? You said it yourself, the game is still to young and people are acting like it's been happening for years.

Why can't people just be a little patient while they collect that data they need to make the right decision? Maybe they just need to hire more people. Heck, I'd work there. I'd gladly move out there and do all the EU server updates in the 3am-11am time frame and stay till around 8-9 if I had to.

If someone is still confused about what is a Time Zone:

http://www.sesamestreet.org/

I urge all Americans to watch this before posting.

Its being done when the least number GLOBALLY are playing.

Correct the least number Globally play because the servers are freaking down.

Besides it isn't a good reason to cut 2-3 hours into our prime time with an extended maintenance because they are to cheap to have a separated maintenance.

Edited by TheHauntingBard

Can I just ask 1 question?

(because seriously, I'm really fed up with the attitude some people here are showing in not grasping that all we (the Europeans) are suggesting/asking for is multiple server schedules fitting the individual regions i.e. early morning hours EU for EU server, early morning hours EST for EST server, etc.)

Do we know whether the PST will come down during maintenance as well?

I was going by the hypothetical numbers I posted earlier. But, I do agree with the red part. Maybe it is still just to early to fully determine what the best time is yet. Perhaps this is being done temporarily while they collect enough data to reschedule the maintenance that better reflects the lowest population times. It's just to early to tell and why can't we give them a bit of time to get that information? You said it yourself, the game is still to young and people are acting like it's been happening for years.

Why can't people just be a little patient while they collect that data they need to make the right decision? Maybe they just need to hire more people. Heck, I'd work there. I'd gladly move out there and do all the EU server updates in the 3am-11am time frame and stay till around 8-9 if I had to.

All you need is common sense,3AM-11AM in any country will have the least amount of players.

All you need is common sense,3AM-11AM in any country will have the least amount of players.

Going to ask for proof. Why? Because you can't prove that.

For those that say the downtime happens when it's GLOBALLY less people than any other time. Wouldn't that still mean that the current EU slot would keep it at it's lowest levels.

I'll ask again, If we had the numbers of who was affected to verify and confirm that the current downtime in EU was during the lowest population would EU players be happy with that?

If so then maybe that can be the goal. Lets go after some facts instead of all this guessing.

For those that say the downtime happens when it's GLOBALLY less people than any other time. Wouldn't that still mean that the current EU slot would keep it at it's lowest levels.

I'll ask again, If we had the numbers of who was affected to verify and confirm that the current downtime in EU was during the lowest population would EU players be happy with that?

If so then maybe that can be the goal. Lets go after some facts instead of all this guessing.

There again you can't prove otherwise.I said use some common sense obviously somthing you lack.Even the jobless,retired and students sleep at NIGHT.

That's the whole problem, the maintenance is global.

Grats you finally got it.

Server down between 11:00 and 21:00 sounds like acceptable for a EU player?

Since this is exactly what happens with extended maintenances.