its possible to play commando as a real healer?

Nadaria

ive a sage and a commando both at lvl 20+ specced as healer.

if i compare both classes there is a huge difference. i m happy if i heal more than 100k in one bg with commando but i can heal without any problems 260k with the sage...

kolto boms heals 500 uncritted (bg) even as aoe its ridicolous...

so is commando just intended to be a support healer? can i expect huge changes with lvl 40+?

The problem is you're only in your 20s. If you look at our talent tree, most of our "good" stuff is backloaded.

Not to mention we're a different kind of healer. If you crit a medical probe, you can restore most of someone's health bar...and this is on my gunnery specced Commando.

Really, the healing commando's biggest problem is that the hammershot heal is a giant "Kill me, I heal" sign.

The problem is you're only in your 20s. If you look at our talent tree, most of our "good" stuff is backloaded.

you are right there is still a really good heal left for lvl 40 and a hot heal... but if you compare it to the sage tree - its nearly nothing....

with the sage ive 3 instant heals with extra hot heals.... and heal boosts if you specc them...

i just see 1 hot and 1 instant in the commando tree... and the hot heal is nothing compared to sage hots.... so its hard for me to imagine that a commando is comparable with the 2 other healer....

if i heal with one of my heals with cast time i crit with up to 4k heal... the highest heal with commando was about 2,8k...

so maybe the stats will make a difference with 40+?

Edited by Nadaria

I'm really enjoying healing as commando for pve and pvp. Granted I'm just level 36 but I'm rarely out healed by anyone in PvP. While I might not have a ton of AoE heals, or Hots no one can keep a single target up like I can. I've had up to five people try to kill me while keeping myself alive. Big single target heals and a lot of utility is what make us great.

i just see 1 hot and 1 instant in the commando tree... and the hot heal is nothing compared to sage hots.... so its hard for me to imagine that a commando is comparable with the 2 other healer....

Do the other two healers bring a near full uptime armor increase and healing taken buff to their target? Are you using Supercharge Cells regularly, or just letting your buff sit idle? Are you taking advantage of Tech Override for added burst? Reserve Powercell for longer sustained healing?

if i heal with one of my heals with cast time i crit with up to 4k heal... the highest heal with commando was about 2,8k...

Have you compared your Surge Rating across the two characters? Do you have 5/5 Potent Medicine on your Commando?

When comparing AOE heals, are you considering that as a Sage you probably picked up Psychic Suffusion much earlier than you would likely pick up Havoc Rounds as a Commando?

Needless to say, I don't see any problem with Combat Medicine. It's perhaps not the easiest healing style to deal with, but it certainly can be very effective, and is viable.

My Inquisitor and Commando are both 20ish. Commando has a lot of AoE control/damage that I enjoy (stun, knock back, knock down) and I enjoy preventive abilities such as super charged Kolto Bomb (up to three targets get shield) and Trauma Probe. Wearing heavy armor and defensive abilities like Reactive is also a plus, makes me harder to kill if I caught aggro or aoe.

Most of all, I like healing with my green laser, free and decent :)

The good thing with combat medic healers is that their buffs and special abilities basically renders them incapable of running out of juice. the advanced healig probe/healing probe combo + free stackable healing on hit ability + surge + hammershot renders us incapable of running out of juice if we do things right. trick is to gett a feeling for it as a fixed rotation isn't reall possible.

I'd say commandos are at best slightly better single target healers than sages but far worse group healers due to a lack of a reliable group heal (kolto bomb is targeted, small range, and weak). Sages also have quite a bit more utility (shield, pull, combat res) with pretty much everything a commando has as well.

I haven't tried any other healer classes yet but as a lvl 36 combat medic I am totally satisfied with my class and my toon. You can heal groups with no issues and you can even keep yourself up.

I have never had issues with healing in pvp either. The only issue is when your groupmates running away from you instead of running towards you when they are in trouble.

I dont find cm too static either. You have to keep moving because if you just stand still spamming heals then you an have hardtimes in pvp.

So, to answer the question, yes, it is possible to play commando as a real healer.

I haven't had this much fun in an mmo for a long long time.

Commando is the PVP healer as sage and counseled don't come close to our healing or survivabilty.

Let's start with armor, we wear heavy and compared to an equally geared/leveled player just with that gear I am mitigating 18% damage versus medium and 26% versus light - so now I'm not taking high damage.

Next, LoL @ your hots as you have to wind up three stacking and another ability just to make it powerful enough to be effective. Now your cast heal is comparable you can't even come close to bombing as long as we can and run out of juice fast.

That brings me to my next point, we have the highest burst HPS going, if I don't want someone to die chances are they won't unless that team has 4 people on my target and unlike the sage it doesn't take us 7 casts to get into that mode as Commando we literally change target(aka turret) and bomb away as we save that player immediately.

Here is the MAJOR bonus for sage - heals on the run. You can heal on the move which is incredibly valuable in PVP and should not be overlooked.

Commando is the PVP healer as sage and counseled don't come close to our healing or survivabilty.

Here is the MAJOR bonus for sage - heals on the run. You can heal on the move which is incredibly valuable in PVP and should not be overlooked.

do you really have a commando or sage?

sage has a shield every 20sec (and can shield everyone with 4sec cd) to absorb dmg. 2 of 5 the heals can be casted while running without cast time... with lvl 40 300k+ heal in one bg is no problem... never saw a commando hitting 200k even with lvl 50. the heals with cast times are huge singletarget heals and much stronger compared to the 2 heals of my commando with cast time.... the hot will increase the armor aswell. restoration will be the 6. heal and remove any mental and physical effect if skilled....

and you say you can cast your hammershot while running with 100-300heal per tick? without a second hot its nothing to keep smb alive....

with 600 force + noble sacrifice its nearly impossible to run out of juice... so i dont get the point...

the heavy armor will help you to stay longer but i prefer a 150% speed boost + shield every 20seconds to escape nearly everything...

does the commando has any escape spell like vanish/speed boost etc? where does the commando has a stronger single target heal? sage is a st healer as well and has just one aoe spell who is 8 times stronger than kolto bomb.... or does i get sth wrong?

I have a guild mate who is Combat medic and does a fantastic job. Then again he has been playing a healer since EQ.

Sometimes a class just doesn't fit your play style. If you are having trouble try another class / advance class.

Both are good healers IMO, Combat medic just takes a lot more skill/focus to play effectively.

And yes, we do have escapes... Distraction, which is an instant 50% threat redux, and Reactive Shield, which reduces incoming dmg by 25% for 12 secs. I can also always just CC random ranged mobs aggroed on me that the tank hasn't picked up.

Edited by Fishcatch

Reliable use of Supercharge cells creates a marked difference in effective Commando Healing. Outside of the 10% healing increase and extra ammo that makes us last all day:

Kolto Bomb especially adds to this. All targets hit by a supercharged Kolto bomb get a 10% damage reduction. You could get two or three targets reliably shielded and healed (albeit for a moderate amount) for a measly 2 ammo and a six second cooldown. If spaced well you could shield a group for 25 seconds.

Adv. Med probe (later on) gets a 10% armor buff while being healed. And thanks to Supercharge its very spammable. So while we dont get a damage shield, between Kolto Bomb and Adv. med probe, we get heals that shield making them much more efficient.

Not to mention that at the drop of a hat, we can switch to another stance and even untalented drop armor by 35%! Extremely damaging abilities like mortar volley.

We get reliable of CC, from a no ammo cost Cryo grenade to the concussion charge.

All in all, I feel that we are comparable healers, but its more complex as we have more thing we can do and have to have the judgment to do them.

Edited by BattojutsuFan

So im playing level 50 commando healing in warzone and I can clearly say it's very well balanced for healing. The green beam isn't much of a KILL ME sign since you don't even use it anyways.

The problem is the fact that Sage/Sorcerer are too powerful healer. And not that the commando is bad.

Yes I said Sage/Sorc are too OP.

Mostly because they have a shield to absorb while we don't.

But also because they heal more then us.

We ain't limited on ammo since we can basically heal non-stop without ever being down more then 8 ammos. But our heals clearly suck compared to sage/sorc.

And the fact that we have no absorbs keep us from medals for absorbs in PvP. Which is a big downside.

I just wish our last talent healed more then that, same for bacta nade and if we could get something to reduce damage someone other then us take or absorb it would be cool.

Edit : And to the idiots that keep saying we have good CC, we don't. Our CC are fine for a balanced PvP. But other classes get way too many CCs compared to us and they should get most of theirs removed or changed.

While we are stuck with 1 pushback, 1 stun and 1 lockdown. Other classes run around with the same + another stun, roots, slows and other kind of stuff.

Edited by snaplemouton

I have no idea who you're playing with but I am a fully spec'd combat medic commando and I hit 250 --> 350k every match. That number fluctuates depending on length of match and if I have a lot of healers on my team.

I have no idea who you're playing with but I am a fully spec'd combat medic commando and I hit 250 --> 350k every match. That number fluctuates depending on length of match and if I have a lot of healers on my team.

I do too. But in a Warzone, my healing drone heal for a maximum of 4k in crit if im lucky and there is no trauma debuff (-30% healing). And I got healed by a level 34 sage for 5.5k.

Is that even supposed to happen?

I do too. But in a Warzone, my healing drone heal for a maximum of 4k in crit if im lucky and there is no trauma debuff (-30% healing). And I got healed by a level 34 sage for 5.5k.

Is that even supposed to happen?

this is exactly what i mean... but good to hear that its possible to heal 250k+ with lvl 50...

cuz i like the commando really much... the sage is to easy to play as dps so i prefer commando as healer.

my preference is a class who can dps if i want and to heal if i want and both specs should be effective... dps with commando was good as assault or gun specced so i just had the feeling that medic is useless compared to other healers...

I play a 50 Healing specced Commando and once you nab more than a few pvp peices you start to really shine on survivability and panic healing. While you might see bigger numbers on a sage, they really have no way to match a commandos raw lasting power and personal survivability.

I play a 50 Healing specced Commando and once you nab more than a few pvp peices you start to really shine on survivability and panic healing. While you might see bigger numbers on a sage, they really have no way to match a commandos raw lasting power and personal survivability.

The shield alone is the best survivability in the game. And Commando got 0 movement ability.

Oh yes, it's possible. I've been a Field Medic since the start, and i'm level 40 now. I'm usually always the highest heals in my Warzones, today I set my new record of 515k. But, healing 250/300k is what I do regularly. Getting 5 medals insn't hard either. Just Hammer Shot some random guys and it counts towards your kill counter. I beat Sages and Scoundrels, usually by double their heals.

Just pop Super Charged Cells as much as possible. It's not an 'Oh ****!' button, it's the main source of our healing. At the start of a Warzone heal someone to get your cells up to 30 stacks, that'll also get you attention and someone should put guard on you (IF they're smart). Keep Trauma probe on someone taking heavy damage or yourself if you're taking damage. If you're taking damage, pop reactive Shield and Adrenaline Rush. It'll give you 25% less damage taken and heal you for 30% of your max health without blowing a GCD. Always cast Advanced Medical Probe before Medical Probe...Advance Medical Probe gives a HOT when you're farther down the tree plus 10% armor. The final heal, Kolto Injection, is a good on the move heal but it's also a heal you use in any situation. It's a FREE heal. I'll take that. Also, keep up Kolto Bombing EVERYONE! That extra 5% healing helps far too much. Your Hammer Shot heal should be used on the move or to finish off your 30 stacks. It heals, but nothing that noticeable. It almost negates autoattacks, but it gives you so much player aggro...It's a giant green beam that basically says 'Hey, I am the healer. Kill me OR the person i'm healing is weak'.

These have been my personal experiences though on my server, Jung Ma. Everyone says Sage and Scoundrel are better healers but from what i've been seeing...I've been out healing them.

Hello ppl, Rank 34 commando medic here.

I don't have the feeling that my class is under powered against sages. Most of the time I end up beeing first in numbers with heals.

I don't compete though for heal numbers as it really depends where you are which point your are attacking/defending.

All I can say is that healers, in general no matter the class are Warzone winners, that is a very positive point.

And short answer to the op : commando medic is definitely a real healer.

I have leveled to 40 as a healer and even picked up all of the epic level 40 pvp gear and I can say that our heals are undervalued compared to other classes. I have NEVER gotten higher then 150k healing...and I know what I am doing. I spam kolto bombs, adv med probes..all that good stuff. My heals hit standard for around 800, crit in the 2.5k range. I can stay alive to a decent extent thanks to reflective shield and my pushback/cryo grenade, but those defenses are pitiful compared to sorc facemelting me for 2k a tick lightning bolts. One major problem for me (perhaps its due to my crappy computer) is a noticable delay after most heals are cast. Going from a trauma probe, to an adv med probe takes seconds longer then it should. I have had great success as a healer in WoW (rated arenas 2k+) and can say that these delays pretty much nullify my reaction speed to a craw. /frustrated.

I do fine...almost always number one healing unless I am guarding the side turret...then not so much. 200k+ healing often...just turned 50. Cannot wait to get into actual pvp gear. At level 50 it's not the sorcs you need to worry about it is the SWs and their interrupts. Edited by Aaoogaa