Why No Expertise Mods? Completely invalidates the mod system

Zehf

I really don't understand this. Bioware went on and on about how they want people to be able to have control over what they look like, they talk about this amazing mod system. Then when it comes to PvP Gear, you're forced into wearing the set they give you. Now every other person of the same class will look EXACTLY the same in WZ, due to all wearing the same PvP gear.

I thought Bioware supported visual diversity by giving us the modding system?

I thought Bioware supported visual freedom by giving us the modding system?

You can't even change the color of you PvP weapons, you're forced to have purple. Though I liked dual wielding purple blades, it won't be nearly as cool once every single person in an entire WZ will have purple weapons.

What they need to do is make everything moddable, aside from the armoring mod with the expertise stats, but then offer armoring mods separate from that gear so that you can still gear out a moddable set for PvP.

I hope they just haven't got around to updating the PvP gear to the current mod system. This needs to be something that is on the way.

If there is already expertise mods in the game, and I just don't know about them..please point my in the right direction as you flame me.

I agree.

The modding system works. It is a nice combination of appearance/ statistic customization, and it allows multiple crafting skills to work together on gear. I like it quite a bit. I do not want it dumped when I hit level 50. This is a table-stakes issue for me. I know it is not for everyone, but I suspect I'm not alone ;)

I just want an appearance tab as well as an equipped tab as is customary in quite a few MMOs to bring variety to your character, rather than just reenacting the clone wars when everybody goes into PVP dressed in the same gear. 20 jedis wearing that ugly as hell Samurai looking gear etc.

DING!

It blew mind when they added that in beta. I told them it was a horrible idea then, and it still is.

Expertise just needs to be removed from the game.

They also need to remove presence. I remember when presence was the primary healer stat regardless of what type of healer class you were AND it beefed up your companions. So it was viable to solo quest as a healer spec and not have this desire this "dual spec'ing" that people keep asking for so they can solo DPS and group heal.

Since no one stats presence I don't know what they haven't removed that from the game entirely.

/tangent off

They also need to remove presence. I remember when presence was the primary healer stat regardless of what type of healer class you were AND it beefed up your companions. So it was viable to solo quest as a healer spec and not have this desire this "dual spec'ing" that people keep asking for so they can solo DPS and group heal.

Since no one stats presence I don't know what they haven't removed that from the game entirely.

/tangent off

Actually, I thought making classes all rely on one main stat was a bad idea. It was much more balanced when healers had to slot presence, and that diminished their offensive capability where they could not both nuke, and heal.

I could say the same thing about removing willpower need from SW/JK, strength from con/inq, aim from IA/Smug, and cunning from BH/Trooper.

They really dumbed this game down from beta. You had to make a choice which of your skills to buff with stats. That's why some classes are so OP right now.

Those who don't know, it used to be that;

Aim affected ranged weapon skill, those that actually come from your weapon.

Cunning only affected your tech skills, like flame thrower for BH, or grenades for troopers.

Strength only affected melee skills.

Willpower only affected force powers.

Presence only affected healing, and companion abilities.

They removed having to make a choice from the game, and turned it into EZ mode.

Not to mention the destruction of the modding system, and the removal of most moddable gear in the game, which limited the appearance possibilities for everyone.

Edited by Hambunctious

/tangent off

Actually, I thought making classes all rely on one main stat was a bad idea. It was much more balanced when healers had to slot presence, and that diminished their offensive capability where they could not both nuke, and heal.

I could say the same thing about removing willpower need from SW/JK, strength from con/inq, aim from IA/Smug, and cunning from BH/Trooper.

They really dumbed this game down from beta. You had to make a choice which of your skills to buff with stats. That's why some classes are so OP right now.

Those who don't know, it used to be that;

Aim affected ranged weapon skill, those that actually come from your weapon.

Cunning only affected your tech skills, like flame thrower for BH, or grenades for troopers.

Strength only affected melee skills.

Willpower only affected force powers.

Presence only affected healing, and companion abilities.

They removed having to make a choice from the game, and turned it into EZ mode.

Not to mention the destruction of the modding system, and the removal of most moddable gear in the game, which limited the appearance possibilities for everyone.

• 4 months later...

I agree with all of this so much, I just got my BH to level 50. This is my first level 50 character.

I've been looking forward to these things:

Level 50 warzones

The higher damage and new ability

Those beautifully colourful colour crystals

Wearing a full set of hydra armour

What did I find?

Yes, I can year a full set of hydra armour, but why would I? I can't get expertise mods to put in it, my current armour is modded nicely and everything's incredibly expensive. I'm not going to spend the little money I have left on moving what I'm told are now obselete mods between armour.

The colour crystals are here, I can shoot people in spectacular colours. Except, wait, I can't. Because my blasters are now obselete, can't be upgraded properly and I instead have to buy new, non moddable blasters for pvp.

Ok, I have higher damage and a new ability. Higher damage coming at the cost of my carefully assembled moddable set from the last 49 levels.

And level 50 pvp? Honestly, I'd rather not do it than wear that incredibly ugly BH recruit armour.

All of this can be solved with: Expertise mods.

While we're on the subject of moddable things, if I don't want Torian (a BH Mandolorian companion) in red or brown mando armour (and have it moddable) I can't seem to make it match. Hydra, legacy armour etc, they're all Mandolorian armour that's BH specific. My question is this. Torian is a Mandolorian that hunts bounties with me, why can't he wear the mandolorian bounty hunter armour? (Which is 90% of the decent moddable sets, I'll add)

Not only a massive case of necromancy but also one complaining about a problem that no longer exists.

You can get Expertise mods and enhancements: they come in Battlemaster and War Hero gear. Yes, buy recruit gear and wear it in PVP for a week or two... you should be able to afford it and if you can't just run a few dailies and then you will be able to.

I could respond to the other points but seriously... wow.

Really? You really see that as a solution?

The problem exists. You are forced to wear incredibly ugly armour for however long.

You should be able to buy the mods instead of the gear straight away, not have to get to battlemaster gear, buy all of the gear and then pay to pull the mods out.

Really? You really see that as a solution?

The problem exists. You are forced to wear incredibly ugly armour for however long.

You should be able to buy the mods instead of the gear straight away, not have to get to battlemaster gear, buy all of the gear and then pay to pull the mods out.

You buy the BM gear with WZ comms, pull the mods out and put them in your orange gear. What exactly are you complaining about?

You buy the BM gear with WZ comms, pull the mods out and put them in your orange gear. What exactly are you complaining about?

Strange, I thought my complaint was shown in the complaint...

I'm aware of how it works. I'm saying that having to buy at least the recruit gear, so you can have the expertise you need for level 50 pvp, then saving up for BM gear, buying BM gear, paying to pull the mods out and THEN putting them in moddable gear, is a VASTLY more annoying, confusing, time consuming and generally stupid process than simply buying recruit etc expertise mods at the same price as the armour/weapons and putting them in your moddable gear.

Not only is it vastly simpler, but it saves you having to wear ugly armour that looks the same as everyone elses just to eventually get enough commendations to go back to the armour you wanted to wear in the first place.

I remember when they said they wouldn't have a pvp stat.

Look at us now.

Yes i am actually very interested in finding out how many pre orders bailed during the beta when they announced the PVP stat.

If they had 1.7 mill at first i would guess from the beta forum rage it cost them 500k if not more pre orders.

Strange, I thought my complaint was shown in the complaint...

I'm aware of how it works. I'm saying that having to buy at least the recruit gear, so you can have the expertise you need for level 50 pvp, then saving up for BM gear, buying BM gear, paying to pull the mods out and THEN putting them in moddable gear, is a VASTLY more annoying, confusing, time consuming and generally stupid process than simply buying recruit etc expertise mods at the same price as the armour/weapons and putting them in your moddable gear.

Not only is it vastly simpler, but it saves you having to wear ugly armour that looks the same as everyone elses just to eventually get enough commendations to go back to the armour you wanted to wear in the first place.

Man no kidding. This is a very wasteful and discouraging series of events to go thru just to enjoy the endgame.