The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The story based gameplay is flawed and might kill the game.

Ninjaboy

I am aware of closed games although NWN (still being played and modded;not being a MMO at all) and RO (still existing) shouldn't be on the list. However none of these died because of a single isolated game-crippling issue only. There's always more to that and it often takes a while. With games like APB being more of an exception to the rule. As no sudden death scenarios.

My point is I have read too many reasons about what will/might kill this game that I was more interesting into how this looks like from a semantic angle rather than in examples.

Most MMOs die slow enough that on their way out they have gathered a heap of reasons where none sticks out too much unless it has been neglected from the beginning.

In case of this game I find it is too early to announce a death sentence of any kind or do a preliminary pre-mortem analysis of why this game will have failed.

You said that you never saw anything kill a game before, you didn't specify any one single thing kill a game. That's true, I don't dispute that, but that could be said about any game, not just MMO's for that matter.

NWN: Wasn't referring to the game put out by Bioware. Was referring to the ORIGINAL Never Winter Nights game that was an MMO. Sadly, it seems that most people don't even know about this game. It was an MMO (thru AOL, sadly) that could arguably have been the first graphical MMORPG, based on the Gold Box game engine from SSI.

Last I knew, RO was taken down due to the sequel, RO2. If I'm wrong on this one, I apologize, but that was the last info I had on that game (only played it for a few days, didn't care for it much, so I don't know first hand there).

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A FEW MINOR SPOILERS HERE:

How much more adult do you need?

To add to that, I cringed when on Ord Mantell your smuggler have to choose between giving the stolen meds to who stole them or point a gun at some 10 years old and menace to kill him if the thief doesn't tell you where the meds are

WoW is the only game ive ever seen than releases content slow as molasses, and convinces people that every mmo does the same.

Its been a month and we have a new raid and a new flashpoint.

**** with this "running out of story" nonsense.

Aw, you think that the new raid and flashpoint weren't intended to be in the release that was pushed out the door early to grab Christmas sales. That's cute.

Aw, you think that the new raid and flashpoint weren't intended to be in the release that was pushed out the door early to grab Christmas sales. That's cute.

Aww you paid for a game you dont like.

They should stop targetting children with credit card ads.

Op, speak for yourself. I'm completely addicted to this game and I've played every Bioware game except Jade Empire including KOTOR. I've also played KOTOR II (Sith Lords) by Obsidian and I love this game. Reminds me a lot of both of them but it's more fun to play because it's fun to play group with others.

Galbat....to /facepalm yourself. The only one "trolling" is yourself.

I don't even like WoW, deffinitely don't have 3 level 85s....

You are simply making crap up and have no idea what you are talking about.

I've barely been on this game for a month. I'm already almost level 50 and have seen all but one planet. Introducing a new flashpoint every month or so isn't going to fix the problems on this game. It doesn't take a genius to know unless some major game-play elements are added this game isn't going to last long.

Now this game did a good job on some things. The companion system for example is really cool. But they didn't do a good job on others - such as bringing to life a long-lasting an interesting world that gives players plenty to do for years to come. There is no way this game is going to last a decade like the devs said was their hope on the current game design. It's just not. It will need a huge overhaul if it's going to be a long-term success.

The "rush to the end" and spam instances or "flashpoints" over and over again is not going to work. It's too repetitive and players are going to get bored and move on.

Have you actually ever played an MMO before? WOW has been going for 7 years now and spamming dungeons/raids and PVP is all anyone does. Heck, that's all there is to do. This game, just like all other MMOs will be fine for a year or two while everyone enjoys the current content along side the content they put out every couple months. Then, in a couple years, they'll release an expansion adding in more story lines to level 50 characters, more companions, more planets, more of everything. This will keep people playing for another year or so after that. Rinse, repeat. This is how MMOs work. If you don't like this formula, MMOs just aren't for you.

In any MMO game, at end game, you're either going to do group instances/raids, daily quests, PVP or make an alt. That's not just TOR. It's every MMO. You either like that set up or you don't. What TOR does have going for it is the story elements. If you think the story is subpar but like the other elements I mentioned, go try a different MMO. If none of this paragraph interests you, again, go play something else because this is what MMOs are.

I havent experienced this. Never seen a single player game that offers Co Op in the form of 8v8 warzones and 16 man raids...

Maybe you should get off of Korriban.

And I think you are knitpicking....

This game deffinitely plays like a single/player action adventure game. It is even designed like one - and resembles strongly games like Borderlands - where you can easily solo your way through the game but have the option to group up if you wish.

It does have a little of WoW thrown in as well, with the ability to do flashpoints, warzones, and raids with other players if you wish. But they are outside the normal scope of the game and do not fit into the main class lines. They are optional activities.

*** is Korriban?

Op, speak for yourself. I'm completely addicted to this game and I've played every Bioware game except Jade Empire including KOTOR. I've also played KOTOR II (Sith Lords) by Obsidian and I love this game. Reminds me a lot of both of them but it's more fun to play because it's fun to play group with others.

Its so funny when people go to a game that was billed as KOTOR with multiplayer and say:

"**** this is KOTOR with co-op mode"

What did they expect?

To add to that, I cringed when on Ord Mantell your smuggler have to choose between giving the stolen meds to who stole them or point a gun at some 10 years old and menace to kill him if the thief doesn't tell you where the meds are

Should have done what I did, promised to give the meds to the thief, then take them to the officer anyway. ;)

Put your money where your mouth is and hit that "cancel" button. Because at the end of the day, that speaks louder than any pathetic attempt at an attention grab you seek on these forums.

Please close the door on the way out ... some of us are enjoying ourselves here.

Edited by Alkiii

The argument itself is flawed.

The gameplay is story *driven* - which is fine/excellent/great. Killing 15 boars with an optional storyline >>> killing 15 boars "just because".

The big question: when you remove the storyline is the underlying gameplay "good"?

Because alts/the end-game can't be story driven.

Have you actually ever played an MMO before? WOW has been going for 7 years now and spamming dungeons/raids and PVP is all anyone does. Heck, that's all there is to do. This game, just like all other MMOs will be fine for a year or two while everyone enjoys the current content along side the content they put out every couple months. Then, in a couple years, they'll release an expansion adding in more story lines to level 50 characters, more companions, more planets, more of everything. This will keep people playing for another year or so after that. Rinse, repeat. This is how MMOs work. If you don't like this formula, MMOs just aren't for you.

In any MMO game, at end game, you're either going to do group instances/raids, daily quests, PVP or make an alt. That's not just TOR. It's every MMO. You either like that set up or you don't. What TOR does have going for it is the story elements. If you think the story is subpar but like the other elements I mentioned, go try a different MMO. If none of this paragraph interests you, again, go play something else because this is what MMOs are.

Stop telling me what is for me and what isn't for me :) And maybe it's you who hasn't payed enough other MMORPGS.

It was that WoW started that trend. MMORPGs used to not be like that. And it saddens me to see that SWTOR decided to follow in WoW's footsteps, as it's a flawed system IMHO.

There is nothign fun about rushing to the "end game" and then redoing the same "instance" over and over. It's just a crappy system.

All of your opinions will disappear as soon as you play Empire. The Inquisitor story is anything but safe. Oh and if you don't like it feel free to leave and send me your stuff.

couldn't have said it better myself. jk story is, sadly, very dry and flat -- as are most of the blueside stories. dun believe meh? go check out the postings in general for the last week or two.

The argument itself is flawed.

The gameplay is story *driven* - which is fine/excellent/great. Killing 15 boars with an optional storyline >>> killing 15 boars "just because".

The big question: when you remove the storyline is the underlying gameplay "good"?

Because alts/the end-game can't be story driven.

Maybe the end game isnt the same as WoWs endgame.

Anarchy Online has 100+ levels of leveling content.

I bet its "dead" tho, since its been around for 11 years. What a failure.

And I think you are knitpicking....

This game deffinitely plays like a single/player action adventure game. It is even designed like one - and resembles strongly games like Borderlands - where you can easily solo your way through the game but have the option to group up if you wish.

It does have a little of WoW thrown in as well, with the ability to do flashpoints, warzones, and raids with other players if you wish. But they are outside the normal scope of the game and do not fit into the main class lines. They are optional activities.

*** is Korriban?

You can solo your way through WOW as well. They even changed all of the group quests in WOW to make them solo quests. Unless you're queuing up for an instance/PVP encounter in WOW, you're always solo.

4. The story is too safe. I need to care about the story. Why can't we have some more adult themes? Maybe my character is tortured or mutilated. Maybe my family is slaughtered in front of my eyes. How about a star exploding destroying a solar system. Where is the epicness? Its all a bit ploddy and run of the mill. Where is the complexity? Why dumb it down? The overarching story itself is unoriginal. A war, two sides, evil vs good, Star Wars. Come on. Not all players are in their teens. Average gamer age is 30. Lucasarts keeping them too close the license here?

Just my opinions of course.

Play the Jedi Knight class. Plenty of epicness there.

"Because alts/the end-game can't be story driven."

How are alts not story driven? Each class has it's only class story line. Yes, the side quests are the same, but you can go the opposite alignment and even those can feel really different a couple times through.

Edited by Galbatorrix

Its so funny when people go to a game that was billed as KOTOR with multiplayer and say:

"**** this is KOTOR with co-op mode"

What did they expect?

They probably expected a revolutionary MMORPG, which is what the hype was promising. Not a single player action/adventure game with a WoW style endgame.

You are going to see a lot of dissapointed people. Trust me.

How are alts not story driven? Each class has it's only class story line. Yes, the side quests are the same, but you can go the opposite alignment and even those can feel really different a couple times through.

When did I say alts are not story driven?

You have this really weird habit of arguing with me over things I never said.

You can solo your way through WOW as well. They even changed all of the group quests in WOW to make them solo quests. Unless you're queuing up for an instance/PVP encounter in WOW, you're always solo.

Yes, they turned WoW into a mostly solo game as well. WoW is the game that started the trend....as I pointed out.

Stop telling me what is for me and what isn't for me :) And maybe it's you who hasn't payed enough other MMORPGS.

It was that WoW started that trend. MMORPGs used to not be like that. And it saddens me to see that SWTOR decided to follow in WoW's footsteps, as it's a flawed system IMHO.

There is nothign fun about rushing to the "end game" and then redoing the same "instance" over and over. It's just a crappy system.

So, you preferred games like Everquest where you couldn't solo something 5 levels below your level? Also, if you died, you had to lose like 4 hours of work due to losing massive amounts of experience with each death?

If you haven't noticed, WOW's formula pretty much murdered all others. It drew people in and kept them there for 7 years now. It is the better formula because it works for a wide variety of gamers. If you want to quest solo, you can. If you want to quest in a group, you can. If you want to stop questing for a while, you can do dungeons or PVP. You're not FORCED to group just to level up. This was the best thing WOW did for the genre, IMO.