The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Let's be real, let's be honest here....

Ogitrev

Finally someone mentions Rift. It also launched in 2011, was the company's first game, and was roughly in the same development cycle as this game. Yet, it launched with all the basic features of the 2011 MMO standard.

People keep comparing this to 2004 WoW and I haven't a clue why.

Regardless, it is what it is. The game has been out 11 days. Things take time. This isn't WoW, and it's naive to expect every feature WoW took TRIAL AND ERROR over 7 years to exist flawlessly in TOR on Day ONE.

That's all.

I think this game will be in even better state than WoW in 7 years. I know the questing is already in MUCH better state than WoW has been, ever.

There are definitely broken encounters, bugs, design issues to be worked on. It'll take time.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering MMOs back when WoW started were considered for nerds and not anywhere near mainstream your point is invalid.

Ah, right, so WoW set the bar, so you should compare SWTOR with WoW - except when it makes SWTOR look good, then you shouldn't. Sorry, I didn't know that part. My bad.

What was that quote again? 'Opinions are like ******es - everyone has one and they're usually full of ****.' I always liked that one, but can't remember who said it.

Well, let's see, SWTOR hit the 1 million subscriber mark on release day. WoW did fantastically well, but even they were talking about only 1.5 million just short of four months after release:

http://www.gamershell.com/companies/blizzard_entertainment/219363.html

Sounds like it's the other way around, so far.

To be fair the MMO market was just sprouting up by the time it came out. It really took the world by storm very shortly after that.

Nowadays people are well aware of the market, and that it's not just for old guys from D&D anymore.

Also, Rift had quite a bit at launch and dropped over half past the first month. Not sure on exact numbers, but most companies apparently anticipate to lose half of the initials after those 30 days.

What I don't understand is why every time someone posts about what they don't like in the game, it's called whining. I agree with the OP on virtually everything he said and I LOVE this game. I've already bought my 60 day sub and have gotten the game for several friends so we could play.

But does that mean the game is perfect? No, not by any means. It's really embarrassing on Bioware's part that they didn't have standard features in the game when every beta weekend I was in, countless threads asked for them. Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not whining. I'm posting my opinion on this topic, much like several other people have, with the intent of letting Bioware know that these are important features to us, and it would be in their best interest to add them as soon as possible.

Agree. As of today, I have invested $750.00 into this game for me and my friends/family. I would not have done this if "I DISLIKED THE GAME". The fact is, I really love the game, I think it is pretty amazing in fact. But, to be called a whiner or be told to go play something else because it is lacking "basic features" pisses me off.

I have been a gamer for over 35 years now and I know alot of people in the industry and I know that bugs take time to iron out and adding in features into a game takes time. However, basic features that one would expect from a game coming out at the end of 2011 and is not present is pretty shocking to me.

Ah, right, so WoW set the bar, so you should compare SWTOR with WoW - except when it makes SWTOR look good, then you shouldn't. Sorry, I didn't know that part. My bad.

No you should compare SWTOR with WoW of now or Rift, not WoW of 2004.

A very nice non provoking way to talk about the issues of the game.

Rift was quite nice at launch and relatively bug free.

How ever it's IP wasn't anything special neither did they had the recourses to take on WOW.

Still when I see how buggy and messy SWTOR is I applaud Trion for that.

But back to the topic about being real or honest.

You can't ask a fan to be that just as much as you can ask you to act like a blind fan.

Even these type of civil posts will get the typical flame responses.

Anything they remotely dislike gets shred to pieces.

Anyway what I don't understand from SWTOR is their priorities.

The game lacks basic features and is rather unpolished.

I don't think it's rushed I just think they tried too much with as result a lot of things ended up being average.

I could have settled for 40 quests with out voice acting and no space combat and a companion less if it meant we would get a good looking UI/Optimized game/graphics and such.

Regardless, it is what it is. The game has been out 11 days. Things take time. This isn't WoW, and it's naive to expect every feature WoW took TRIAL AND ERROR over 7 years to exist flawlessly in TOR on Day ONE.

That's all.

I think this game will be in even better state than WoW in 7 years. I know the questing is already in MUCH better state than WoW has been, ever.

There are definitely broken encounters, bugs, design issues to be worked on. It'll take time.

Will it survive 7 years though? Because Warhammer, Age of Conan, and numerous others would like a word with you.

Comparing subs is silly. This game isn't going to hit 12 million. Period.

There were enough people that didn't play EQ that played WoW and found it new and exciting. There were enough people that played EQ that found WoW's take on the formula refreshing that it wasn't anywhere near as hardcore grindy as NeverRest.

I think TOR will do its own thing. Which is good. Not every MMO *NEEDS* to be WoW.

Oh boy. It's THIS thread again... .....zzzz.....

Look, I get it. Rift had a lot of features at launch. That's great. However, swtor had a lot of features at launch as well. It's just that Rift had some features that swtor doesn't have (yet) while swtor has some features Rift doesn't have. But seriously, comparing the features of one game at launch to another game at launch is extremely pointless, as no two games are supposed to be alike (not even in features) and all games launch with features some others don't have.

Also, I played Rift at beta, and I played rift at launch, and the game was buggy as hell. But many of those bugs were fixed WITH TIME. (hint, hint) What matters is if swtor is playable (it is) and if it's fun (it is).

So I should have expected SWTOR to hit 10 million+ subscribers in 11 days, even though it took WoW 7 years to carefully build its subscriber base to that level, then?

Ok you are just being a confrontational fool and not worth my time, either you don't know what I am talking about or you just want to start a flame war, go back and play the game and let us have our conversation without fools like you in it.

Look, I get it. Rift had a lot of features at launch. That's great. However, swtor had a lot of features at launch as well. It's just that Rift had some features that swtor doesn't have (yet) while swtor has some features Rift doesn't have. But seriously, comparing the features of one game at launch to another game at launch is extremely pointless, as no two games are supposed to be alike (not even in features) and all games launch with features some others don't have.

Also, I played Rift at beta, and I played rift at launch, and the game was buggy as hell. But many of those bugs were fixed WITH TIME. (hint, hint) What matters is if swtor is playable (it is) and if it's fun (it is).

We are talking basic features like graphics adjusting, aa, a decent UI, etc not features like voice acting or rifts, but BASIC features standard with any pc game of this time frame.

I'd also like to comment on the race choices - they seem rushed and poorly thought out. The developers basically made the humans and then reskinned them 10 or so times. Twi'lek? Sure. Zabrak? Of course. Cyborgs? Blind humans? No thanks. Wookies, Rhodians, so many other species could have been implemented, and I sorely hope they are. The race choices are by far the biggest disappointment for me in this game.

EA rushed the game out. Don't blame Bioware.

It's actually a lot of BioWare's old-hat design choices that turn me off TOR. So unless EA said 'make WoW with a BioWare touch', which is entirely possible, I'm not actually putting anything on EA. It's simply not the Star Wars universe I'd like to play it right now now.

What exactly did rift not have that swtor has? Voice acting and crafting method doesn't really count, just as the rift system wouldn't count against swtor...

We are talking basic features like graphics adjusting, aa, a decent UI, etc not features like voice acting or rifts, but BASIC features standard with any pc game of this time frame.

Swtor not having decent UI is more of an opinion than a fact. As for customizable UI, I've played a ton of mmos and super-customizable UI out of the box is not really all that cmmon. And graphics adjusting seems fine to me in this game. *shrug*

I find it interesting nothing in your OP was something that was NECESSARY to gameplay. But perks that other games have chosen to place in their games, either at start or later on down the road.

Can you still play this game without an adjustable UI? Yes

Can you play this game without a pleuthora of adjustables in Graphics? Yes

Can you play this game without Meters and Third Party options? Yes

Can you play this game and group without LFG/LFR/LFD options? Yes

So essentially, all the things people are crying about are neato additions, but arent necessary.

Edited by Foxtrotmikelima

I find it interesting nothing in your OP was something that was NECESSARY to gameplay. But perks that other games have chosen to place in their games, either at start or later on down the road.

Can you still play this game without an adjustable UI? Yes

Can you play this game without a pleuthora of adjustables in Graphics? Yes

Can you play this game without Meters and Third Party options? Yes

So essentially, all the things people are crying about are neato additions, but arent necessary.

^^This.

And with that...

/nuke thread

Ok you are just being a confrontational fool and not worth my time, either you don't know what I am talking about

No, I don't. The other guy, Offended, was saying that WoW set the bar, so any other MMO has to be compared with it, and SWTOR 'wasn't even in the same field'. When I did the only potentially objective and meaningful comparison there is, how fast subscriber numbers grew, SWTOR came out miles ahead, so you popped up and told me that I needed to 'compare it with WoW today'. Now either you're admitting any such comparison is utterly meaningless, as there is no objective way of comparing them, and Offended is therefore wrong, or you really are expecting SWTOR to have outdone WoW's current subscriber figures, even though SWTOR has only been out 11 days. Which is it?

Edited by Zmidponk

Well it is good to see some more thoughtful posts make it into this thread. I think for some, it started to become a comparison of games, which is not the intent of the thread. In a small way, I hope it helps put pressure on BioWare and the engineers they have to implement some of the "basic" PC/MMO's features that we all expect to be in a game that has launched in the last 2 years or so.

I am not saying these features are a priority or anything like that. They are just baisc features that most of us take for granted and when they are not in a game that came out at the end of 2011 we are all going ***???? Bugs, broken quest lines, performance issues are all very important. I think in the rush to get the game out they just drew a line in the sand and said "ship it". With that, they now have to figure out how to prioritize what they release to fix issues, basic funtions etc. In short, they have a lot of stuff to work on!

If we are being honest, I think people take playing MMOs way too seriously, and put way too much drama into deciding whether to play a computer game. It can't get any more simple than if you like it, then play it. Otherwise, it's ok to not play it, or even like another game more.

Wisdom.

I dont think you get it man. I am not talking nor are some of other posters talking about "big features". We are or I am addressing "BASIC", PC 101 features. We are not talking about games being alike, we are talking about BASIC PC GAMING features that have existed in every PC game launched in the last few years.

Are you not reading the same thread the rest of us are?