Let's be real, let's be honest here....

Ogitrev

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, I played Rift at launch and it had it's share of bugs,<rifts were bugged> and lag and times it went down. I really am not seeing the glaring issues that need immediate fix. I see a game that launched and needs patching like every other MMO that has ever launched.

never had lag, dont remember any crashes, or huge queues barring first day of early access when they were opening servers every 20mins or so. (apaart from whitefall, but meh, all the pvp hardcores went there, on the same side! lol).

Rift is a much better mmo that swtor, far more advanced, and accessible. Shame its fantasy, I really wanted a good sci-fi mmo, oh well, keep hoping.

...and some people think that means any other MMO MUST do exactly what WoW has done/is doing/will do. If that's the case, that MMO would be a clone of WoW, so why would I play it instead of WoW?

And some people think that any new games should look at not only which functionalities predecessors have but WHY they have them and then work their way from that, not copy what has allready been done, but progress from them, evolve it into something new that will be their own.

Not release a game that has worse basic features than the predecessor, tack on some bling and call it new and revolutionary.

I don't see how not having AA or a scable UI is making the game so unfun that people want to stop playing. You folks are ************ about QoL features for the most part and frankly those of us that have been around since UO, or even the days of MUDs, just deal with it because it's not that *********** important to actually having fun. Edited by AdmiralBlue

It's compared to wow all the time because WoW set the bar. Incase you didn't know.

WoW set the bar pretty low, and actually got worse both in terms of story and gameplay in every expansion instead of improving.

The real reason WoW is what everyone compares other MMOs to is because WoW is the only mmo they've ever played not because WoW is the golden standard.

Those saying Rift had tons of bugs at launch but did you know how quick they patched everything? Of course you didn't know so let me enlighten you. They were patching on daily basis not even weekly and you know how long would it take them to do? Probably around 30mins(morning times I believe). Rift was pretty fast at patching everything up, but bioware that is bigger in many ways than Trion/Rift can't do that? Kind of worrying if you ask me.

So don't put an unfinished sentence like "Rift has tons of bugs at launch.." because there is more to it. They were on top of everything on daily basis. They were smart and they knew they need to do all this before everyone's 30 day game time expires.

For you perhaps.

For many WoW set the example of what NOT to do.

Don't forget that WoW had an even worse release. A very bad one by todays terms.

There's a hideous double standard when people use the WoW argument, that most people overlook.

Also, the crying and whining in these sort of threads is absolutely hilarious. You'd think Bioware stole your bank account and delivered an incomplete game, from the way some people are talking.

Edited by Radiatonia

I am not picking on you, but just quoting since it is the last post I read. I am not suggesting which game is better or worse. All I was trying to say, that if you compared some of the "BASIC" features of Rift vs. SWTOR, even comparing launch day to lauch day, it is clear that RIFT laucned more feature riched that SWTOR did.

This is not to suggest that Rift is better, less bugs, less lag, less of anything other than basic PC gaming features/MMO features that almost all computer/mmo's have at lauch and those that launched recently.

No, he's got a point. Rift had a better launch, period. They had the best out-of-the-box UI of any recent MMO. Combat and controls in general were smooth, in general the game functioned as expected. Were there bugs? Of course. Was Trion on the ball, bringing servers down constantly to apply fixes as they came? Yes, they were. Barring being able to apply a patch, they were in communication with the playerbase to keep them apprised of the developments. So far, Bioware hasn't done any of these things. This is aside from the OPs original points, that SWTOR shipped without the basic features of games today. It's as if Bioware ignored MMO development for the last 10 years.

What "basic" features are you talking about?

People make alot of vague statements in this topic. Maybe you could elaborate? Because from what i'm seeing, after playing many MMO's in the past, TOR has the basic package and then some.

Edit: Trion also didn't launch their game around Christmas.

Edited by Radiatonia

What "basic" features are you talking about?

People make alot of vague statements in this topic. Maybe you could elaborate? Because from what i'm seeing, after playing many MMO's in the past, TOR has the basic package and then some.

Edit: Trion also didn't launch their game around Christmas.

For one, who cares if they launched around Christmas? They should have made allowances for that, if that was their plan. Basic features include the graphical tweaks the OP mentioned, a UI that doesn't belong in Everquest 1, fluid controls and a graphics engine that isn't horribly inefficient. Rift looked just as good, if not better, than SWTOR, and people didn't have nearly the issues that people are having with SWTOR. Those are just a few examples.

For one, who cares if they launched around Christmas? They should have made allowances for that, if that was their plan. Basic features include the graphical tweaks the OP mentioned, a UI that doesn't belong in Everquest 1, fluid controls and a graphics engine that isn't horribly inefficient. Rift looked just as good, if not better, than SWTOR, and people didn't have nearly the issues that people are having with SWTOR. Those are just a few examples.

The UI is far superior to EQ's. Anyone who actually played it, like myself, would tell you that.

Most people have no problem with the controls, the only complaints i've heard is that certain skills don't seem to "chain" well for some people's tastes. And that's mostly an aesthetics thing.

The graphics engine i've not had any issues with. And the high quality textures is a known bug that's being fixed. Along with that, AA was disabled due to ATI cards, as usual, under-performing with a new release. There was a reported issue where they'd over-heat due to ATI making crappy drivers. This is at least partially ATI's fault. As this happens like every other big game release with their cards. You can still enable it manually, however.

You're making a big deal out of little things. Then, and i'm not saying it's just you, alot of people are stomping their feet and screaming "fanboy!" or "You'll see! You'll all see! This game will die screaming! And then i'll be the one laughing!" whenever people call others on these remarks.

If you honestly believe these are "game breaking" issues that need to be addressed immediately, then I bet you'd be the type of person to demand the public removal of the head of the LOTRO dev team, when they said they were going to hold the high resolution client back for a few weeks so they could make sure it was as good as possible, eh?

I know there were people who actually said that when they made that announcement. And that was basically the LOTRO team trying to do the playerbase a favor. Likewise, I imagine you wouldn't want your graphics card to melt because of ATI related issues, when the devs did the smart thing and held that option back.

Grow up, learn some patience, and learn how MMO's work. If the problems are still here a month or two from now, you have a valid complaint.

Acting like they've killed your dog when the game was released only a week or so ago, and every major company has their staff on break or light work loads for the holidays is not only being stupid, but also being very self centered and arrogant about your wants and needs. The game is perfectly playable right now, and fairly well balanced.

Also, I should point out that Rift was the exception to the rule. It is possibly the only MMO to have a truly smooth launch. Which most MMO vets would tell you, since alot of the older MMO players have seen some truly horrific launches.

Like the Anarchy Online launch. Which was so bad, simply mentioning it for awhile would get you permanently banned off of the AO forums.

Edited by Radiatonia

So, basically this thread is about TOR not launching with "basic" features like custom UI and graphics options.

News flash....it launched without custom UI and SOME graphics options. Should they have been there at launch? You say yes, I say I don't care. Point being, it's irrelevant. You can't change what happened. To make a thread about what SHOULD have happened is pointless. It didn't. Nothing constructive can come of that type of criticism unless you own a DeLorean with a flux capacitor.

In addition, you would like them to fix bugs and fix them fast. Well, great idea captain obvious.

The UI is far superior to EQ's. Anyone who actually played it, like myself, would tell you that.

Most people have no problem with the controls, the only complaints i've heard is that certain skills don't seem to "chain" well for some people's tastes. And that's mostly an aesthetics thing.

The graphics engine i've not had any issues with. And the high quality textures is a known bug that's being fixed. Along with that, AA was disabled due to ATI cards, as usual, under-performing with a new release. There was a reported issue where they'd over-heat due to ATI making crappy drivers. This is at least partially ATI's fault. As this happens like every other big game release with their cards. You can still enable it manually, however.

You're making a big deal out of little things. Then, and i'm not saying it's just you, alot of people are stomping their feet and screaming "fanboy!" or "You'll see! You'll all see! This game will die screaming! And then i'll be the one laughing!" whenever people call others on these remarks.

If you honestly believe these are "game breaking" issues that need to be addressed immediately, then I bet you'd be the type of person to demand the public removal of the head of the LOTRO dev team, when they said they were going to hold the high resolution client back for a few weeks so they could make sure it was as good as possible, eh?

I know there were people who actually said that when they made that announcement. And that was basically the LOTRO team trying to do the playerbase a favor. Likewise, I imagine you wouldn't want your graphics card to melt because of ATI related issues, when the devs did the smart thing and held that option back.

Grow up, learn some patience, and learn how MMO's work. If the problems are still here a month or two from now, you have a valid complaint.

Acting like they've killed your dog when the game was released only a week or so ago, and every major company has their staff on break or light work loads for the holidays is not only being stupid, but also being very self centered and arrogant about your wants and needs. The game is perfectly playable right now, and fairly well balanced.

Also, I should point out that Rift was the exception to the rule. It is possibly the only MMO to have a truly smooth launch. Which most MMO vets would tell you, since alot of the older MMO players have seen some truly horrific launches.

Like the Anarchy Online launch. Which was so bad, simply mentioning it for awhile would get you permanently banned off of the AO forums.

I guess the sarcasm was lost on you, in regards to the UI. Abilities don't "chain" well for some people's tastes? How about in a PVP environment, they go off a good 1-2 seconds later than when you hit them? This isn't a PC or connection issue, this is server end. That's not an inconvenience, it's a major flaw. Warhammer at launch is an extreme example of this.

Get off your high horse, just because you're willing to take a product from a major game developer (that had years of development time, beta testing and a massive budget) that is sloppy, doesn't make those of us who aren't, immature or impatient. As a recent example, Trion had a fraction of the workforce, time or money, and launched a smoother, more functional game.

Many people that are up in arms are because they waited for years for this game, they want it to succeed, they want a robust playerbase, and they also know that a game has about a month to make a good impression before the die is cast.

I guess the sarcasm was lost on you, in regards to the UI. Abilities don't "chain" well for some people's tastes? How about in a PVP environment, they go off a good 1-2 seconds later than when you hit them? This isn't a PC or connection issue, this is server end. That's not an inconvenience, it's a major flaw. Warhammer at launch is an extreme example of this.

Get off your high horse, just because you're willing to take a product from a major game developer (that had years of development time, beta testing and a massive budget) that is sloppy, doesn't make those of us who aren't, immature or impatient. As a recent example, Trion had a fraction of the workforce, time or money, and launched a smoother, more functional game.

Many people that are up in arms are because they waited for years for this game, they want it to succeed, they want a robust playerbase, and they also know that a game has about a month to make a good impression before the die is cast.

Sarcasm doesn't translate well through text. Exaggeration however, does.

As for your complaint for abilities, I assume you're speaking of animation and execution times. There's two things that typically cause this. I'll list them below.

The first is animation quirks. Sith lightning strikes, it seems, immediately. Project has a half a second delay. However. Even if Project has a delay, once the skill is clicked it's going to execute no matter what, even if your character dies. The "difference" between the two is negligible at best, and has next to no overall bearing on your efficacy as the attack is going to go off either way. In fact, project having a delay actually is good in many cases, since it gives you extra burst damage when used in conjunction with instant attacks.

The animation has very little to no impact on actual gameplay. This is because this game does not use an "AoC" style combat system, where animations cannot be over-ridden until one is finished. Rather, everything works off of the global cooldown of skills. So even if a skill hasn't landed yet, you can still keep attacking until it does land.

The only other thing that causes this is server latency. Which should not surprise you at all. It's release. The game has an absolutely insane amount of subscribers. When WoW had its release, which was much like this one in terms of numbers of players might I add, their servers typically went offline. And continued to do so for almost half a year afterwards.

That Bioware has had such a smooth launch is testament to how far the industry has come since then, and how well the launch was planned.

And yes, i'm going to tell people to stop being impatient. Because they are being impatient and often at the same time immature. Being over-hyped for a game is no reason to go into hysterics on its forums.

People act like small bugs and the usual issues that come with launch are somehow going to destroy the game. Most people don't even care that a bit of server lag from heavy server loads could cause their attacks to trigger later then usual. Or that an attack has a half second later hit then the mirror of its class.

Edited by Radiatonia

I disagree, I played Rift at launch and it had it's share of bugs,<rifts were bugged> and lag and times it went down. I really am not seeing the glaring issues that need immediate fix. I see a game that launched and needs patching like every other MMO that has ever launched.

Yeah, I agree.

I have found SWTOR much smoother and trouble free at launch (and two weeks in) then I found RIFT to be.

As for the almost constant nit-picking about graphics in this game, get over it. It's fine, and I'm sure they will make improvements over time. Just because the game does not use the same engine and have the same options in graphics does not mean the game is lacking in this area. It goes more to people becoming acustomed to something in one game and then crying about having to make adjustments when they move to a new game.

That's true but the scale of SWTOR is somewhat larger. But some of the graphic options should have been included, that should have been easy.

Not with the ongoing state of ATI drivers I'm afraid.

It's better to hold back graphics features that are not stable across all the common ATI and Nvidia chip sets. Stabilize them then release them, which is not trivial, particularly in the case of ATI.

The fact is that Rift made by a small company named Trion delivered an MMO with a TON more features, better visuals and a lot of support.

sounds like an opinion to me. tor blows rift out of the water when it comes to graphics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OskRij8AYaU

is a good example comparing the graphics(like facial expressions)

just because rift looks dark and gloomy compared to tor's bright colors means nothing

/truth

sounds like an opinion to me. tor blows rift out of the water when it comes to graphics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OskRij8AYaU

is a good example comparing the graphics(like facial expressions)

just because rift looks dark and gloomy compared to tor's bright colors means nothing

Fortunately graphics aren't the reason im playing this game. The story is and that's what bw sold. The story. And the story is awesome and why im playing <<< off to play now thanks for trolling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.