Romanceable characters

Nynuwe

I have a female Imperial agent so YES, I'm totally for the romance with a Chiss :D I hope he'll be looking a bit like Thrawn. I'm fond of Thrawn.

I still don't get it. I'm not saying its homophobic, I just don't understand what the difference between prior o/s attraction and s/s attraction when you are in a healthy committed monogamous relationship. I mean.. are you afraid that bisexual guy would leave you for another guy? but he could just as easily leave you for a girl if that's what he wanted. and if he doesn't want to leave you, then what does it matter whom he used to be attracted to, before he met you? the person is with you, they chose to be with you, what happened before is irrelevant. at least to me. and for the record, I'm also straight.

There is 2x more risk for him to be attracted by someone else because he would be attracted by both males and females. Also, when a guy is just attracted to women, you know you can "compete" with them. But if he's more attracted to a man, you cannot really compare yourself to him (if he likes his manly side or muscled body for example!) so you cannot even try to compete with that. It's not possible for a woman.

Edited by Evolvana

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blah :( And I was looking forward to romance with Zenith .__. I hope they'd fix that though. For me he's the most interesting companion of them. Qyzen's a favorite of mine too, but he's more like family to my consular, I think. No romance there. BUT ZENITH! Darn. Why BioWare, why? :(

i'm playing an Imp Agent who is female. Please, for the love of all that is good an right in the world, allow her a romance with Kaliyo! Why do you deny their love?!?

Probably because the profile you're given on her specifically says in black and white "AGENT, DO NOT FALL FOR HER SEDUCTION ATTEMPTS".

Mind you, doesn't stop the men.

I would like it if my character could at least flirt with Darth Zash. I don't care if they could have a relationship. Just allow for some playful flirting every now and then. But it won't happen because they are both female. Edited by ClayPeopleCry

Are you aware that in the Dragon Age universe bisexuality and homosexuality is not taboo? The very writers of the Dragon Age games specified this. It's their universe, their rules. And in the end, if writers of a fictional universe which to break from the prejudices of the real world, - in obvious contrast to said real world-, and wish to create a reality where such real world prejudices don't exist, then it's their right. If they can make a universe of monsters, space travel, and magic-like abilities, then they can also make a universe where there is no prejudice based on sexual orientation. Because in the end, they have the license, so if Lucas Arts wishes to give them the permission to make all romance-able companions bisexual, other than obviously as a scheme to make more money by pleasing as many people as possible, it is also not against lore.

People should really keep in mind. This is a business. Their goal is to make money. If what you suggest isn't the most effective way to get around things, they wont take it seriously. There is a reason why they indeed decide to make all companions bisexual after they realized that a game with both heterosexual, and bisexual characters became a great hit. Because it's the most efficient way to target all sexual orientations without loosing anyone. Without loosing potential clients.

This is my opinion but it just really strikes me as selfish for people to wish to deny their fellow players a chance to fulfill the same enjoyment as the others. Whatever the reason someone may use to justify it, I just can't stop feeling that way about such a thing. For example, if I can enjoy X character, why should X character be denied to others? Is it so wrong to try to make everyone happy in a fantasy sci-fi video game?

There's a difference between breaking from the prejudices and having gay/bi relationships and making it so every character is or isn't. Each character is given a personality and a preference, much like was the case in DA:O, and I think it takes something away from the character if instead of you experiencing the interactions with them, be they gay or straight, that they somehow are all of the above based on your control and not on their own personality.

Let there be companions of all preferences, but let each one be who they are. You get stronger characters that way, in my opinion.

Let my Twi'lek female Gunslinger romance with Risha! ;D Really I always take female chars in MMOs (somehow I don't like lookin' at man face/butt when playing, be it fatty or muscle wall), and it would feel weird to flirt with Corso or OMG Guss...

Also some people may feel offended for being "missed":P Not everyone's hetero after all.

I'm currently playing a dark-sided female Sith Warrior, and in doing some research, I have some concerns about the possible romance with Malavai. I didn't really like him at first, but he's sort of slowly growing on me, and since my Sith can't seduce Vette as I originally intended, I figured I'd have her try and pursue Malavai. I've been able to have her flirt with him and such, but I've been reading around on some sites that he's the light-sided romance option for the female Sith Warrior. I was wondering if someone could tell me whether or not that was true? It doesn't make much sense to me that it would be, since I've had far more of his affection gains come from dark-sided actions as opposed to light-sided actions (I've actually lost affection from him with most light-sided actions, even the ones I thought he'd like!! How in the world could he possibly be light-side only?!). If it is true, then well... I guess there's still time for my girl to change her tune, but I'd really rather her still be bad and snag him :(

any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

I just wanna add my 2 cents here.

If you are a female player, why do you need to roll only female toons? If you keep your options open as far as the gender you are willing to play, it widens the choices you have regarding which companion you can romance.

Maybe I'm an oddball, but I am a female player who has never put such constraints on the characters I make. In other words, I'll play either sex. It's an RPG. Anything's possible.

I see it as watching a story unfold. I don't see myself as my toon. I have never understood it when other female players tell me that they could NEVER play a male toon or that since THEY are female IRL then it only makes SENSE to play their own gender. A ton of MALE players have no problem at all playing female toons so why should it be any different the other way around? I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with my male jedi sentinel and my male sith sorc and my female smuggler when it comes to companion relationships.

TL;DR for the OP -- be willing to roll either sex when you make your characters if you wish for more romance options.

Bump for SGRA and more options. I really wish the whole companion system was redesigned to be honest.

I wish I could have taken at least 3 different NPCs I've met as companions and I'd gladly trade in almost every single one I have up to lvl 47 (5) on a Female Sith Inquistor. Why was the companion system locked down this way? It couldn't have been that hard to have the choice between taking 4 companions you'd flush out the airlock if you could or getting rid of a companion in favor of another, or just hiring people you meet to come fly around and work for you. I could rant on this all day but I'll just say the whole companion system as is need to be rethought and reworked from the ground up.

Several of my friends and I had wondered if Same Gender Romance Arcs were a point of friction with Lucas Arts (we came in late for the pretesting, missed the statement back around October or so).

I do hope they continue with plans to add SGRA options, though I'd also like to see it something that could be toggled on or off.

And -- per OP's comments -- I'd like to see future patches include more OGRA/SGRA options.

But then I'm spoiled. I've played EVE Online for years, and have grown accustomed to seeing new lore and content added by a route different than WoW's expac technique... Not that I am adverse to paying to add options; I gladly paid for all three campaigns and the Eye of the North expansion in Guild Wars 1.

Maybe that's a possible business model? Offer SGRA and more OGRA options as a future expansion pack, with a Preferences toggle to enable?

If you are a female player, why do you need to roll only female toons?

I was so upset by the lack of flirting for girls that I tried a male toon .. just didn't feel right.

I always play female characters & just couldn't get into it.

The worst of this for me is general chat.. guys say 'I'm flirting all the time , what's the problem?'.

That's the problem right there.. guys just don't care, or know what they're talking about. As usual ;)

I disagree, Story is the main focus of the game, there is a massive lack of options compared to previous BioWare titles between classes and we of the LGBT community are being left out of a major part of Story, Romance, entirely. we are absolutely cut off from it, and I don't understand why this wasn't included in the first place, then again, this is BioWare Austin, not Edmonton, unfortunately.

Live your "LGBT" fantasies in RL, and leave us out of it in SWTOR. Thanks.

I would like it if my character could at least flirt with Darth Zash. I don't care if they could have a relationship. Just allow for some playful flirting every now and then. But it won't happen because they are both female.

In this specific case it wouldn't make any sense to put that in because even the male doesn't get a flirt option with Darth Zash.

Live your "LGBT" fantasies in RL, and leave us out of it in SWTOR. Thanks.

But it's okay for your straight "fantasies" to be in the game, right? Okay for you, and not for them? I just want to make sure we're on the same page here. You have it, they don't, and you want it to stay that way.

Honestly, how f-ing arrogant do you have to be to essentially say outright that you want stuff that doesn't directly suit you out of the game? How would you feel if there were ONLY same-sex romances available? I bet you wouldn't be happy either, eh? And yet you feel justified in simply dismissing anyone else's concerns, content that your own preferences are being met and not giving a damn about anyone else's.

I generally play straight romances as a male character, but I want to have a variety of characters, with a variety of backgrounds and traits. So some of my characters are female, and some are homosexual. I don't really need for there to be SS romances, but for the sake of variety and inclusiveness, I don't see a single good reason why there shouldn't be.

It's kind of a bummer for me, too, since I played a female Chiss Bounty Hunter during beta (didn't play very far though), and was really digging Mako's character and the stuff she and my character went through. I thought it would be an awesome story if they ended up together. When I found out SGRAs were not in the game, it kinda took the wind out of my sails. What am I going to do now, reroll as a male? Or be a female and have her go after male characters while Mako gets ignored? Both of those just seem extremely weird to me. I feel like either one would be going against the characters I "know" from before. Even the news that they might add homosexual companions later doesn't really help, because it needs to be Mako, dammit! No one else has that history. Sigh. So now my BH is still level 1.

Anyway, I know it's not the most earth-shatteringly important thing ever that I have the character I want, but stuff like this does matter to some people. Some of us enjoy the drama and the personal storyline as much as others do the "omg lazurs lol" part of the game.

How would you feel if there were ONLY same-sex romances available?

I admit that I would feel uncomfortable, but I wouldn't cry in every thread related to romance about that (unlike some people here). If such romances were FORCED, I would probably leave the game, but since all BW romances are optional, I would not. There are plenty of game aspects to enjoy.

Edited by Gably

Probably you open certain books, programs that remind you of a sweet right hand, eh?

LOL!

Every comment that comes to mind would likely not be appropriate to these forums. ^_^

But yah, I live in a world where I am daily reminded that I am different, and yet people sometimes resent it if I point it out. I'm lucky that it's no longer likely to be a lethal minority -- which being born into the wrong race or gender or sexual orientation can still be in this day and age. But it does remind me that it's intolerant to take the attitude of "It's OK to be [gay / bi / straight / conservative / libertarian / liberal / Protestant / Catholic / Jewish / Pagan / Atheist], I just don't want to see it." And that that kind of intolerance used to lead to "burning people like me at the stake." :)

Edited by Poimandres

But still - some people, me included, find all those bisexual and homosexual totally wrong and out of place - something BioWare should take in consideration.

i dont understand whats wrong im not gay and i dont have a problem with gay people 3 of my friends are gay so if you dont like gays thats your hang up