Romanceable characters

Nynuwe

Uuugh who bloody cares! I would much rather have a meaningful and fun PvP portion of the game than be able to have relationships with my crew. I have relationships in my actual life; why the hell would I need to have fake ones in a freaking game? I NEVER even consider trying to seduce one of my crewmates because its just pointless from a gameplay standpoint. But since its Bioware, they have some obsession with character romances, which many of you people seem to share. It seems to me they spent more time on meaningless garbage like crew romance story lines than they spent on making actually important features of the game, like PvP. Instead, you can have sex with a Twi'lek, but here I am at level 21 and the only PvP I have participated in is freaking Huttball, the most un-Star Wars nonsense I've ever seen. Pathetic.

I'd rather developers stopped catering to the PvP crowd by trampling all over PvE in an effort to balance classes for PvP, but that's a different story altogether. As for Huttball, I think that's a problem of playing Empire on a server dominated with Empire (or vice versa), and I think there's a better forum to discuss it. PvP forums this way ====>

As for relationships in a game... Well, it's not because I need relationships in a game as some kind of surrogate for RL relationships (I am married, have a close family, and a close circle of friends), it's because this is an RPG, and relationships are part of my character's life.

There are two major points I think you're missing:

1) The player is not the character.

and

2) Electronic RPGs developed from pencil and paper games like Dungeons and Dragons. The RP aspect of the game is not (or should not) be the stats and the way the numbers develop as the character gains experience (ie: the system), but the Role Playing, which I see as a combination of acting and storytelling. Now given that romance is a part of the human experience, and story telling is all about human experience, it's only natural for it to be a part of an RPG (caveat: if it's age and/or story appropriate). You don't ask that they skip relationships in movies (relationships were in the Star Wars movies, for cripe's sake!), theatre, and books, so why should they skip them in a Role Playing game.

Lastly - you ask "who bloody cares"? Well, clearly people do. At least enough people to keep this thread going for 10 pages, and who have supported enough other threads to indicate that we're not a small minority of people (on the forums). People do care. And despite what you asked, you clearly care too - if you didn't really care either way, you wouldn't be posting here. The question also implies you think that only the opinions of people who agree with you matter, since you're asking "who cares" in a room full of people who do as if they're not there.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you even see how this is going too far? We're not playing this game to be tormented, we're playing the game to have fun. It's not reality, and even in reality trying to say that all spies' loved ones are killed and all soldiers engaging in flirtation or romance will loose their berths/commissions is just ridiculous. Many soldiers* have fulfilling relationships with their spouses/lovers (some of those being other soldiers*) without being kicked from the military. Many spies are married and have lives outside their jobs, and never come home to find their loved ones dead.

Let us have our fun. If it really bothers you, don't let your character engage in a romance.

I should have qualified my final statements about Trooper flirtation by saying "unsolicited flirtations toward subordinates."

It has taken decades for for the US military to reach the point where victim of sexual harassment can expect justice, despite frequent reminders that sexual harassment is bad. Soldiers do not need to worry as much about the men and women that hold their lives in the hands, using that power to leverage sexual favors from them. That is the most apparent reason to restrict social interaction between officers and subordinates.

It is also important to reduce that conflict of interest that may arise if an officer is forced to chose between completing a mission or reduce the risk of friends and loved ones.

If either the Trooper or the romance option sumbitted a transfer request Garza because of developing feelingld be more accepting of the idea.

I support Choice. I support same sex relationships. Intimacy is between officers and their subordinates is WRONG. I apologize if I seem heavy-handed about this, but the interaction between officers and their subordinates is a serious MORAL matter to me. I should probably switch to a safe topic, like religion or politics, while i can converse rationally.

You are also right about real world spies, but that isn't what we are dealing with when talking about Agents. When I look at the Agent I am reminded of Bond and the bloody sheets he leaves in his wake.

With ME and DA Bioware was very good about having our choices come with consequences. Unfortunately, an MMO enviroment leaves very little room for global consequence. Only with the class stories and companions can Bioware allow choice to truly affect character progression, and with companions Bioware has not done as well as it could have. The setting and circumstances of the characters leave plenty of room for romacances to have consequence and those consequences are not there. Until those consequences are there, I do not feel many of the romance options are appriate.

I'm just gonna say I support you Nynuwe about the romances as well :)

I feel that the female romance options - well some of them - felt a bit forced (no pun intended) or like there is isn't any romance at all. I was a bit disapointed with the Jedi Consular romances - I wanted to see Zenith and Theran as a romance though I understand Theran is sort of an option - so I'm hoping Bioware will add that option eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
I was absolutely convinced Zenith would be the romance option. When I had a sneaky look at some portraits of the Consular companions he was the one I thought HAD to be it. Sadly it was not to be. I haven't met the Trooper yet but ... I'm already accidentally infatuated with Zenith!

Yeah I agree - I was hoping for Zenith to be romanable - I personally can't stand the doctor and only use him when absolutley necessary... lets hope that the trooper is a bit more interesting, otherwise my consular will strictly adhere to the jedi code about romances... lol!

Completely agree with the original poster! I would LOVE for some more flexibility and variety in relation to romance options - some classes just don't seem to have as many as the others and when I rolled alts I was a little sad to see this. =(

Sith Warrior has some great love triangle potential etc and a few other classes do too, but when I rolled my consular I was SO DISAPPOINTED when I discovered I couldn't have Zenith. By far he's the most interesting of my companions (now that I've got all three of the guys) and I find Iresso a little lack lustre... D8

Would absolutely love it if the story writers/devs tweaked all the companions to give more variety at some point. It's great that they're going to make the adjustment for same-sex romance options as well, so it'd be nice if they tweaked the existing ones too so that other classes (like my consular *coughcough*) have a little more love.

In the meantime, I'll just pretend that I can have Zenith. >.> No one has to know, it can be a secret love affair.

...Although if they wanted to do the tweaks I'd kinda want them to somehow reset the companion relationships (like you could do in DA/DA2 with console commands etc) so that I could set up all my relationships exactly how I like em. No idea if that'd even be possible though. o_o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.